The Long Run

If we agree on the assumption that a 10-6 record, minimum, is needed to make the playoffs, are the Bills better off winning or losing tomorrow?

If they spank the Patsies, they have momentum on their side and Drew is more than likely the starting QB for the rest of the season. To make the 10-6 mark they can only lose one more game - meaning they will have to go 9-1 for the last 10 games of the season.

If this happens JP sits for the entire year and the benefit of trading up to draft him and give him a year of grooming is greatly diminished. If Drew stays as the #1 and they fall one game short of the playoffs at 9-7 it is truly a waste.

If they lose, the playoffs are pretty much toast and the JP era can be started without Drew having to lose face. Of course this means that the 2004 season is, for all intents and purposes, over in mid-November and they are just playing out the string.

What's better? An ouside chance at the playoffs this year or a 7 game in-season pre-season to gel the triad of Losman, McGahee and Evans?

If you think it's the former, do you think this team can truly make a near-run of the table as they need to do?

If you side with the latter, are you ready to root against the red, white and blue for the greater good of the big picture?

Discuss.

Guest billsnfl2004

how can anyone call themself a bills fan and wounder at this point weather a win or a loss would be better ! I think your just another drew hater you want him gone so bad you would root againts the bills just to see that happen>I will always root for whoever is the bills qb to every sunday have the greatest game ever and the bills to win shame on you go bills

If we agree on the assumption that a 10-6 record, minimum, is needed to make the playoffs, are the Bills better off winning or losing tomorrow?

If they spank the Patsies, they have momentum on their side and Drew is more than likely the starting QB for the rest of the season. To make the 10-6 mark they can only lose one more game - meaning they will have to go 9-1 for the last 10 games of the season.

If this happens JP sits for the entire year and the benefit of trading up to draft him and give him a year of grooming is greatly diminished. If Drew stays as the #1 and they fall one game short of the playoffs at 9-7 it is truly a waste.

If they lose, the playoffs are pretty much toast and the JP era can be started without Drew having to lose face. Of course this means that the 2004 season is, for all intents and purposes, over in mid-November and they are just playing out the string.

What's better? An ouside chance at the playoffs this year or a 7 game in-season pre-season to gel the triad of Losman, McGahee and Evans?

If you think it's the former, do you think this team can truly make a near-run of the table as they need to do?

If you side with the latter, are you ready to root against the red, white and blue for the greater good of the big picture?

Discuss.

115787[/snapback]

A run at the playoffs is immaterial. A Bills win under any circumstances is better than a loss. A win tomorrow would be spectacular regardless of the rest of the season.

A win tommorow would be tremendous boost to this teams progression and confidence. That is much more significant than anything else at this point. Losman's turn will come soon enough. Drews worth is alredy decided at this point. He is not the future and he will be done at the end of this season. I would love to see this team be able to win tommorow on the strength of their defence and a offence crippled by a mediocre qb. If we can win under those conditions, our future is indeed bright.

Discuss.

115787[/snapback]

Buffalo is out of the playoffs already. No way they run the tables or go 7-1 to finish the season. However, if Buffalo finishes .500 (goes 5-3) or even 9-7, it would be a great setup for next season. If Bledsoe can play error free football and the offensive line continues to protect him, I have no problem with him starting next season. Young QBs need time to learn and JP has lost half a season to injury. Buffalo has a championship defense for this year and next and if the offense can be respectable behind Drew, I don't see much reason to start JP. Bledsoe showed me something in the Jets game, if he has a strong supporting cast, he can be as effective as any QB in the league. Its when he tries to win games by himself (ala the Baltimore game) when he gets in trouble.

Buffalo is out of the playoffs already.  No way they run the tables or go 7-1 to finish the season.  However, if Buffalo finishes .500 (goes 5-3) or even 9-7, it would be a great setup for next season.  If Bledsoe can play error free football and the offensive line continues to protect him, I have no problem with him starting next season.  Young QBs need time to learn and JP has lost half a season to injury.  Buffalo has a championship defense for this year and next and if the offense can be respectable behind Drew, I don't see much reason to start JP.  Bledsoe showed me something in the Jets game, if he has a strong supporting cast, he can be as effective as any QB in the league.  Its when he tries to win games by himself (ala the Baltimore game) when he gets in trouble.

115916[/snapback]

Looking at the schedule. If we can win tomorrow/today in New England then the rest of the games look very winnable. That Pittsburgh game at the end looks very losable right now. Maybe Pitt will be resting their starters by then.

Don't bother watching CVM, if you've already given-up on the season.  Unreal.

115885[/snapback]

MadBflDisease, BillsNFL, et al,

I guess reading comprehension wasn't stressed in the schools that some of you attended. Nowhere did I state my opinion on either side of the issue (For the record, I was a Bills fan through the 2-14 and 3-13 seasons of the early 80s and I NEVER have rooted for the opposition.)

I thought that a little hypothetical discussion on the Bills future might be fun, but I'll let you return to your regularly scheduled programming of internet stories of projectile diarrhea and the elusive search for the best currency exchange site.

Sheesh!!!

If the bills and whoever were tied with the worst record in football at the end of the season, and all the bills had to do was lose on week 17 to get the #1 draft pick. We needed a QB. There's a stud QB as the #1. #2-258 are all crap picks and suck. I'D STILL WANT THE BILLS TO WIN!

Guest billsnfl2004

Boy are you full of it You said going 9-7 would be a waste you are now saying you never had an opion? I am not saying as a fan you should just have blind faith but with 8 games to go only a win only

A thinking mans' thread by CVM . Quite the conundrum.

There isn't a Bills fan here that is rooting against the Bills tonight, CVM included. He's just bringing up a discussion concerning the long term ramifications of the future core of our Offensive skill position players.

I have my doubts that a win tonight would blind TD,Mularkey,Wyche and Co. from looking at the QB situation long and hard. I believe Losman will get some snaps this season. The Bills would NOT rubber stamp Bledsoe as the long term starter if an upset occured tonight, due to the fact that our running success would probably be the reason for the win. It's been a long time since we won on the road and to be a playoff team, 4-5 road wins a season are needed. Is that Bledsoe's MO these days ? Hardly. He's been brutal on the road and if MaGahee is kept in check, some playmaking ability is needed form the QB position. That screams of Losman, not Bledsoe.

Despite the weekly emotional roller coaster ride of many here, the Bills brass will continue to be pragmatic about the QB position...one week at a time.

Losman is our future and one win will not set the plan back weeks or years.

Good post, CVM.

The Bills are not eliminated from the playoffs. They could even lose two more games and finish 9-7 and still have a slight chance. The schedule the rest of the way is WEAK, except for the Pats and Steelers. (and at least the Steelers play in Buffalo)

The key is whether the Bills team we saw against the Jets can show up every week? If the do, then we have a shot.

Having said that, Foxboro is a house of horrors for the Bills. (and every team really) Winning there is a pretty tall order. I will feel good if the Bills can play well and make the Pats work for a win.

Of course a Bills win would become of the great moments in franchise history. The Pats have won someting like 13 straight regular season home games. (Last home loss for NE was Dec 23 2002 vs Jets)

PTR

115787[/snapback]

Am I the only one wondering why you're completely writing off any chances of winning with JP, when he's healthy?

It's not like the Bills will only put 10 guys on the field if Bledsoe sits....

If the Bills go into Foxboro tonight and win, they stand an excellent of going at least 7-1 the rest of the way, given the schedule and figuring that the Steelers have a game up on the Pats by virtue of beating them, and could rest their starters if they are up a game o-n them come the week 17 game. So going all-out and winning tonight is the ONLY plan. If they lose, they still have a chance to go 7-0 the rest of the way and make the playoffs, but it's less likely. I'd say the ONLY way they put Losman in, is if/when they lose their 8th game of the season and/or it appears that there's no way for them to make the playoffs given the records of the other teams ahead of them. Losman is a rookie coming off an injury that forced him to miss significant practice time. He won't be able to come in and just win.

Biils are 3 games out of the playoffs with 8 remaining, with a favorable schedule down the road. This could be a wacky kind of season where 8-8 may get in a wildcard.

The team has been playing very well lately, and there's no reason to rush JP into action. Having him sit out the season is analogous to McGahee sitting last year.

A thinking mans' thread by CVM . Quite the conundrum.

There isn't a Bills fan here that is rooting against the Bills tonight, CVM included. He's just bringing up a discussion concerning the long term ramifications of the future core of our Offensive skill position players.

I have my doubts that a win tonight would blind TD,Mularkey,Wyche and Co. from looking at the QB situation long and hard. I believe Losman will get some snaps this season. The Bills would NOT rubber stamp Bledsoe as the long term starter if an upset occured tonight, due to the fact that our running success would probably be the reason for the win. It's been a long time since we won on the road and to be a playoff team, 4-5 road wins a season are needed. Is that Bledsoe's MO these days ? Hardly. He's been brutal on the road and if MaGahee is kept in check, some playmaking ability is needed form the QB position. That screams of Losman, not Bledsoe.

Despite the weekly emotional roller coaster ride of many here, the Bills brass will continue to be pragmatic about the QB position...one week at a time.

Losman is our future and one win will not set the plan back weeks or years.

Good post, CVM.

115986[/snapback]

Finally someone who gets the concept of a point/counterpoint discussion and the value of playing devil's advocate.

Thanks Mark VI for saving this thread - you have my eternal gratitude.

:)

Discuss.

115787[/snapback]

A win tonight would NOT mean that Drew would be in for the rest of the season. Ever hear of injuries?

Also, we dont even have a first round pick. What would make a loss a good thing? Benching Drew? Wouldn't you rather the Bills win no matter who is QB?

Cheer for Drew tonight. Cheer for the Buffalo Bills Football Team.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A win tonight would NOT mean that Drew would be in for the rest of the season. Ever hear of injuries?

Not likely with Drew. But that's the only real scenario I can see. I think this team is ready to do some good things, even though they might not be enough. If they get mathematically eliminated early-enough, we'll see JP. But putting him in before then is giving-up on the season.

Also, we dont even have a first round pick. What would make a loss a good thing? Benching Drew? Wouldn't you rather the Bills win no matter who is QB?

Cheer for Drew tonight. Cheer for the Buffalo Bills Football Team.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A true Bills fan roots for the Bills to win no matter WHO the QB is. They don't root against a certain player.