Collinsworth

Cookiemonster

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emmitt Smith. Nobody offers more insightful, eloquent commentary.

"The Packers don't has a running game."

"This team have not played confident football in three weeks."

"He gets the ball over to their third read than most quarterback can."

"I'm concerned about a guy who fall down before get hits."

I live here too; and agree with both of you on the luck thing. Maybe we're just used to seeing so much bad luck from the Bills. I was thinking last night that if that was a Bills game (and the Bills were the Titans), what likely would have happened was the Bills would strip the ball at the five yard line, only to have the Steelers recover it and score anyway.

Spot on, that is exactly what would happen to the Bills.

The other thing, is that becuse of their success, I belive that they usually get the

benefit of the doubt when it comes to officiating, as well.

There were at least three illegal formation penalties that were called after successful

Tennessee plays. They showed the replay, (I think it was the first one), the right tackle

was clearly on the line of scrimmage. I think that this penalty is probaly the one, along with

holding, or blocking in the back on kick-offs, that are used primarily to manipulate games.

That is, of course, if you think that they are manipulated, I belive that there is subtle manipulation.

They are so arbitrary, and non-quantifiable, heck most of the time they don't even bother

to show us replays of the infraction. Probably due to the fact, that there wasn't one.

Then there was the play where, I believe Collins just released the ball, and a Steeler defender

is standing, not running, just to his right, and he knocks him down, when IMO, he had plenty

of time to hold up. No roughing the passer penalty? No doubt in my mind that it gets called

99 % of the time. Just not against the Steeelers, unless it is painfully obvious.

Tennessee should have routed the Steelers IMHO.

What Business is that your refer to, you certainly can't be talking about broadcasting,

or color commentating. For my money, Phil Simms, is "the best in the business".

meh, I'll go with the esteemed Mr. Dick Enberg.

So many memories of 'ol games on NBC when the Bills were ripping up the league in the Super Bowl years...

Collinsworth was pretty on with his comments about the Steelers O-line, the Tenn. D-line only rushing 4 and not generating pressure (which cost them the game), and the Steelers being poor on 3rd and short which you wouldn't expect from a power running team.

He definitely had Ben's sack in his mouth the whole game, and was over critical of Ward on the fumble (he should have just said he's a veteran receiver and should know to protect the ball better in critical situations).

The most annoying thing was when he anointed Palamalu to the pro-bowl after 2 defensive series and then Troy proceeded to get 2 or 3 penalties and then got hurt.

Palamalu is a great safety but he was way too quick to stroke him too.

RTB

Did you ever listen to Shannon try to pronounce Rothlisburger, he just skips the whole

I would rank Aikman right uo there with Phil Simms, as the best Color Guys in the business.

Both are very insightful, and unbiased. They are easy on the ears.

I have been very pleased with Tasker's progression - I think he does a good job of analyzing plays without blowing celebs or being a homer. Then again, fans of the team the Bills are playing probably hate him.

Spot on, that is exactly what would happen to the Bills.

The other thing, is that becuse of their success, I belive that they usually get the

benefit of the doubt when it comes to officiating, as well.

There were at least three illegal formation penalties that were called after successful

Tennessee plays. They showed the replay, (I think it was the first one), the right tackle

was clearly on the line of scrimmage. I think that this penalty is probaly the one, along with

holding, or blocking in the back on kick-offs, that are used primarily to manipulate games.

That is, of course, if you think that they are manipulated, I belive that there is subtle manipulation.

They are so arbitrary, and non-quantifiable, heck most of the time they don't even bother

to show us replays of the infraction. Probably due to the fact, that there wasn't one.

Then there was the play where, I believe Collins just released the ball, and a Steeler defender

is standing, not running, just to his right, and he knocks him down, when IMO, he had plenty

of time to hold up. No roughing the passer penalty? No doubt in my mind that it gets called

99 % of the time. Just not against the Steeelers, unless it is painfully obvious.

Tennessee should have routed the Steelers IMHO.

hey who let Jeff Fisher in here. There were numerous non-holding calls on Tenn's O-line that would have resulted in sacks or incomplete passes, not to mention the BS pass interference call on Troy when he was going for the Int only to be knocked down by Gates. The officiation was fair.

Given the benefit of hindsight (or is that "Hines"sight ;) ) I def thought Collinsworth was overly-critical of Hines Ward on the fumble play.

Ward is awesome. I wish 1/2 of the Bills had his desire and love for the game. I would say he should have gone down to the turf, but I don't think he saw the defender coming to knock the ball out, all he saw was end-zone.

The most annoying thing was when he anointed Palamalu to the pro-bowl after 2 defensive series and then Troy proceeded to get 2 or 3 penalties and then got hurt.

RTB

I didn't see the game - but 'cause where I live, I see plenty of AFC North ball and have seen plenty of Polamalu.

Every PIT opponent in that division plans hard to try to neutralize him, and usually tries to whack the daylights out of him. I think he is terrific, one of a handful of honest-to-goodness "game changers" in the NFL.

Edited by stuckincincy

Collinsworth was pretty on with his comments about the Steelers O-line, the Tenn. D-line only rushing 4 and not generating pressure (which cost them the game), and the Steelers being poor on 3rd and short which you wouldn't expect from a power running team.

He definitely had Ben's sack in his mouth the whole game, and was over critical of Ward on the fumble (he should have just said he's a veteran receiver and should know to protect the ball better in critical situations).

RTB

I think Collinsworth is the one of the better announcers out there. If he was loving on Ben, thats cause Ben is THE offence for Pittsburgh. I though, am like the ole Dr Z, and I wish they would comment on who is in and what position more. They did once whilst showing Mawae handling Hampton, and then showing the new nose having better success. I thought they should have commented more on why it seemed like Mawelde Moore( sp) played the whole 4th qtr. I found it starnge to have your third down back trying to pick up key 3rd and shorts instaed of your power backs.

BTW, the merriman comment was good, and they also came back and acknowledged their mistake when they were screaming that Ben threw a forwrad pass and the titans should challenge...duh it was like they forgot a QB could throw a forwrad pass even when it looks like he is running, as long as behind the line of scrimmage. Eh, we all make mistakes...we all Bills fans for crimminy sakes

hey who let Jeff Fisher in here. There were numerous non-holding calls on Tenn's O-line that would have resulted in sacks or incomplete passes, not to mention the BS pass interference call on Troy when he was going for the Int only to be knocked down by Gates. The officiation was fair.

Are you sure about that? My point is officiating is so blurred these days with all of the mind numbing

and confusing rules, that you can never really be sure what kind of job they are doing, and the officals

have no clue how they are performing either. Too many nefarios arbitrary rules like Illegal Formations

and blocks in the back on kick-offs. The timing of calls, and maybe not so much the call itself, leaves

me susupicious. They did come back later in the game and called an illegal formation on the Steelers,

but it didn't hurt them. But never mind me, and pay no attention to that man behind the curtain either.

I like Collinsworth, i feel he adds alot of insight into plays, gives credit where its due and jumps on the players, also when it is due....of course I am not as critical of announcers as others on this board tend to be....they just aren't that big a part of the game to me.....just background noise for the most part

Although, I will have to admit that he has been a lttle more palatable lately,

and his comments are somewhat on target, I just couldn't stand his prostration

over the Steelers last night. They way he gushes over everything that they do, and

especially what ever Big Ben does, is just very hard to stomach. You'd have thought

by listening to him, that he was a former Steeler and not a former Steeler opponent.

What a tool. Reminds me a lot of Dan Dierdipshit, like how he use to say, "that man is the

best defensive linemen that I have ever seen", only to repeat the exact same comment

about another player, the very next game. Even his attempts at non partiality, were vieled

in his man love for the Steelers., Geesh. Guaranteed, he shares this love with Brady, also.

Was it just me, or did anyone else notice this?

I think Jaws is the best color man in the league...my opinion though..

And about Hines Ward....what a complete receiver. Great hands, great attitude and holy spit what a blocker! Did you see him just STICK the safety coming in on that one play at the line of scrimmage....? Wow...just wow.

...He definitely had Ben's sack in his mouth the whole game, and was over critical of Ward on the fumble (he should have just said he's a veteran receiver and should know to protect the ball better in critical situations).

RTB

Seriously?

Big Ben & Palamalu are the two best players on a team that won two SuperBowls in recent years. Big Ben threw for over 360 yards and singlehandedly won that game for them. Palamalu was a beast before he got hurt and made a sick one handed interception.

Kind of hard not to gush about those guys as an announcer.