NFL will allow delayed broadcasts of blacked out games

Beerball

Anytime someone makes the above argument, it needs to be accompanied by the fact that the Bills have the lowest average ticket price in the NFL.

Sorry to burst the bubble but full disclosure equals truth.

One of the lowest average incomes in the area, too. And whose fault is it that San Diego prices out some fans? San Diego's. Let some other cities deal with blackouts for a while & see if the fans don't get on the owners' backs to change the league and make it more equal.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sanners, please child. I stated not as an argument, but as a factually true point: The Bills have the lowest average ticket price in the NFL. Again, it's a true fact. This story was published 22 hours ago. But it doesn't matter. The Bills have had the lowest average ticket price for many years, not just recently.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/th...allas-cowboys/1

"The biggest bargains in the NFL can be found in Buffalo, where tickets average $51 and the FCI (fan cost index) is $304, and in Jacksonville, $57 and $310."

Look. Maybe you're indignant about someone who states a true fact which might impune the loyalty of Bills fans. I've stated on this board many times (and recently) that the Bills fans are the best in the NFL. I lived in Buffalo for 35 years and used to have seasons. I have followed this team since 1968. So save your indignation and defensiveness for something else.

I am not anti-Buffalo, nor am I jealous about anything. I didn't say Buffalo wasn't a great market because as I've stated before, it is a great market.

But the Bills have the lowest average ticket price in the NFL and that is a huge help in selling tickets. Your credibility would be enhanced if you didn't argue this point.

OK great, so if Jacksonville lowered, on average, their ticket prices $6, they would be sold out by now? You think that a mere $6 is the difference?

Reduce the time for lifting the blackout from 72 hours to 24 hours.

That does seem a more reasonable timeframe. I wonder if the networks/satellite providers need that extra time.

I still think though that if the games weren't so overpriced to begin with, blackouts would be a non issue.

Just 8 hours. If I read the article correctly replays will be available after midnight.

Still seems kind of useless to me.

I can't see myself getting excited about a Bills game that has been over for hours. Maybe it is just me, but this doesn't seem like much of a compromise by the NFL at all.

Sorry to burst back. Is there anything holding those other franchises hostage? Can they not set their ticket prices as they see fit? So the owner refuses to lower prices & the NFL is supposed to lift the blackout? Nope.

Yes. Like everything else... It is their debt that is holding the other teams hostage. They lift the blackouts or ease them and the league will promote bad fiscal behavior, IMO.

BFLO (Bills), should be rewarded for how they run their business. Sad that it can't translate to a winner on the field... And for God sake it should if there is any right in the world.

I can't see myself getting excited about a Bills game that has been over for hours. Maybe it is just me, but this doesn't seem like much of a compromise by the NFL at all.

No one would. This is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of. Like anyone is going to care to watch a tape delayed game after midnight. Especially if you live in the market of the team and can see highlights of damn near every play in the game from the news.

The NFL really sucks in a lot of ways.

Sanners, please child. I stated not as an argument, but as a factually true point: The Bills have the lowest average ticket price in the NFL. Again, it's a true fact. This story was published 22 hours ago. But it doesn't matter. The Bills have had the lowest average ticket price for many years, not just recently.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/th...allas-cowboys/1

"The biggest bargains in the NFL can be found in Buffalo, where tickets average $51 and the FCI (fan cost index) is $304, and in Jacksonville, $57 and $310."

Look. Maybe you're indignant about someone who states a true fact which might impune the loyalty of Bills fans. I've stated on this board many times (and recently) that the Bills fans are the best in the NFL. I lived in Buffalo for 35 years and used to have seasons. I have followed this team since 1968. So save your indignation and defensiveness for something else.

I am not anti-Buffalo, nor am I jealous about anything. I didn't say Buffalo wasn't a great market because as I've stated before, it is a great market.

But the Bills have the lowest average ticket price in the NFL and that is a huge help in selling tickets. Your credibility would be enhanced if you didn't argue this point.

You have just pointed out that the cost difference between Buffalo (a team that routinely fills it's stadium) and Jax (a team which rarely does) is 6 bucks. Yet you still don't think it's because the folks in Jax don't care about their pro football team that they can't sell out?

Yes the Bills have the cheapest tickets (barely)---that's the reason why they sell out?? You think most Bills fans consider (or even know) this when they decide whether to buy a ticket??

"Your credibility would be enhanced if you didn't argue this point."

Sorry, but I disagree. Teams like Jacksonville, San Diego and Arizona have trouble filling their stadiums but Buffalo sells out. That tells me that football isn't as important to folks in those cities.
Anytime someone makes the above argument, it needs to be accompanied by the fact that the Bills have the lowest average ticket price in the NFL.

Sorry to burst back. Is there anything holding those other franchises hostage? Can they not set their ticket prices as they see fit? So the owner refuses to lower prices & the NFL is supposed to lift the blackout? Nope.

Beerball, I don't know what you're saying. I was simply pointing out the fact that Bills ticket sales are greatly aided by the fact that our ticket prices on average are the lowest in the NFL.

I never referenced blackout procedure, what other owners should or shouldn't do, what the NFL should or shouldn't do, etc.

I just wanted to put our ticket selling success in some form of context. That's all.

I'm not sure why folks expect them to compromise, but that's just me.

Exactly right. Ever rising prices for tickets/parking/concessions/etc are pricing out average fans in all pro sports. I'm amazed that as many people go to live events as they do.

Beerball, I don't know what you're saying. I was simply pointing out the fact that Bills ticket sales are greatly aided by the fact that our ticket prices on average are the lowest in the NFL.

I never referenced blackout procedure, what other owners should or shouldn't do, what the NFL should or shouldn't do, etc.

I just wanted to put our ticket selling success in some form of context. That's all.

I'm sure that the Bills are aided by the price of a ticket. Greatly? Not sure.

The thread is about blackout rules so I assumed you were within that context...my bad.

IMO Buffalo sells out because:

1. The fans give a rip about the team.

2. Prices are not 'outrageous'.

Everytime the discussion about the Bills leaving Buffalo comes up we're always remined that ticket sales factor only lighly into the equation.

Luxury boxes, seat licenses, TV contracts and merchandising is supposedly where all of the real money is in the NFL. If that's the case why don't owners just agree to broadcast every game just like most NBA, MLB and NHL teams do?

That does seem a more reasonable timeframe. I wonder if the networks/satellite providers need that extra time.

I still think though that if the games weren't so overpriced to begin with, blackouts would be a non issue.

I wouldn't think so. The game is being broadcast by the league anyways. Lifting the blackout at the last minute should not be a big deal.

I wouldn't think so. The game is being broadcast by the league anyways. Lifting the blackout at the last minute should not be a big deal.

Yes but I'm thinking about the case where the providers would only have 24 hours to deal with the fact that the game could not be shown 75 miles from the stadium. For example all affected TV stations needing to locate a few episodes of Lassie to broadcast, and DirecTV would need to program commands to send to customers receivers in that area to not show that game. 24 hours notice is not a lot of time.

Oh and that's another thing ... if you subscribe to DirecTV Sunday ticket, a portion of that goes to the NFL and the teams. So why the F would Sunday ticket subscribers get blacked out? Freaking greedy NFL.

Yes but I'm thinking about the case where the providers would only have 24 hours to deal with the fact that the game could not be shown 75 miles from the stadium. For example all affected TV stations needing to locate a few episodes of Lassie to broadcast, and DirecTV would need to program commands to send to customers receivers in that area to not show that game. 24 hours notice is not a lot of time.

Oh and that's another thing ... if you subscribe to DirecTV Sunday ticket, a portion of that goes to the NFL and the teams. So why the F would Sunday ticket subscribers get blacked out? Freaking greedy NFL.

Good points but I have seen TV stations buy up the last few thousand seats after extensions have been given. It can be done.