which type of poster are you?

eball

the way i see it, folks break down into one of four categories on this board:

1. Eternal Optimists

these posters only see the positives, and blister when someone criticizes a player, the coach, or the GM. it's always someone else's fault when the bills lose (the refs, the weather, the media, the league -- they're out to get us, you know). god forbid that the ESPN power rankings aren't giving the bills a high enough ranking. i'd estimate that about 20-30% of posters fall into this category.

2. Negative Ninnies

as you would expect, these posters are the opposite of the EOs. i call this the "typical" buffalo fan mentality. even when something good happens, all they point out is the negative. "yeah, but...." is how a majority of their posts begin. the mantra of the NN is, "why talk about the good when we all know something terrible is going to happen and somebody will screw up?" unfortunately, i'd guess that 50% of TSW'ers fall into this category. i'd have to include trolls here, since they're obviously not going to say anything positive about the bills.

3. Thoughtful Football Fans

the TFF is a bills' fan, but doesn't have blinders on. the bills are capable of doing things well, and of doing things poorly. the good is acknowledged, and the bad is constructively critiqued. discussions between TFFs are fun to read and provide good analysis. to my dismay, i find that probably less than 10% of posters qualify.

4. Flip Floppers

the FF runs hot and cold, depending on last week's result. when there's a winning streak, they might be mistakenly characterized as EOs. after the next loss, however, you'd think a NN just entered the room. you could also call these posters "bandwagoners" but that phrase is overused. a rough guesstimate would put about 20-25% of posters in this category.

anyway, as you might expect, i consider myself to be a TFF -- well, maybe 90% TFF and 10% EO. i still enjoy coming here and sharing my $.02, because i think every poster provides some level of entertainment. which type are you?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say I'm somewhere between an Eternal Optimist and a Thoughful Fan, but am probably perceived as closer to the former by those on TBD, but those who have watched a game with me see the latter.

I too enjoy the "X's and O's" threads (Simon, where are you?). -It'll be interesting to see how others perceive themselves.

Most of us are #3 . Only 10 % ? Disagree. Most can see what they have in front of them and are fairly realistic.

Sometimes the numbers get skewed after a loss, when people are venting. Plus some just have a permanent bug up their backside.

114008[/snapback]

Mark, eball was just throwing a personality construct out there. You're not getting negative, are you? :lol::D (just teasing, I mostly agree)

I'd say I'm about 50% EO and 50% TFF, but would guess anyone that remembers my (comparitively small number of)posts would say I'm an EO. I took a bet at the beginning of the year, for instance, that the Bills would surrender under 40 sacks.

I would say that I'm #3 with a splash of #1. I'm definitely optimistic about the Bills chances every week and every year but in reality, I know that stevestojan happens and you can't win every game, make every correct decision or play at the top level every week. I do look at a win or a loss and understand that most of the time, 3 to 5 plays would have made a difference one way or another. That's how football is and sometimes the planets align and you win, ala New England and sometimes Murphy's Law takes affect, ala Buffalo.

Sweeping generalization, I know, but I'd say the majority on this board are #4's.

JUST WIN, BABY! and they're happy.

Very small % of #1's's, slightly more #2's.

Only a handful of true #3's, with Badol leading the pack...

though a lot of posters like to think they are.

:D:lol::lol:

(not a slam at Mark 6.

one of the best reads on the board). :D

Edited by Rico

3.  Thoughtful Football Fans

the TFF is a bills' fan, but doesn't have blinders on.  the bills are capable of doing things well, and of doing things poorly.  the good is acknowledged, and the bad is constructively critiqued.  discussions between TFFs are fun to read and provide good analysis.  to my dismay, i find that probably less than 10% of posters qualify.

Of course everyone thinks they're a "Thoughtful Football Fan". I think most who think they are thoughtful and are "constructively critiquing" are Negative Ninnies.

Some thoughts on how you can tell the difference:

If you wanted to cut Drew before he was re-signed, THOUGHTFUL. If you keep posting about cutting him after, NINNIE. If you think he's going to the Pro Bowl, Optimist.

If you were worried about Jerry Gray riding the coattails of GW or Lebeau before the season, THOUGHTFUL. If you've mentioned it in the last few weeks, NINNIE.

If you were worried about the McGahee pick, THOUGHTFUL. Still worried? NINNIE.

If you've mentioned Peerless Price as a Bill in the last 2 months, NINNIE.

If you complained about using Bannan on the oline for any reason, NINNIE.

If you were complaining about our poor offensive performance in the first quarter of the season, THOUGHTFUL. Still complaining? Still THOUGHTFUL :D.

Personally, I'm more of a #1 than anything. I think people become Ninnie's because it is too gut-wretching to have your expectations stomped on every week.

I am probably an eternal optimist....I have a new challenge, how about you name 1 or more of each....

Eternal Optimist - Myself

Negative Ninnies - ICE

TFF - R. Rich

Flip Flopper - BF In Indiana, stevestojan

114025[/snapback]

Actually I am one of the FEW that can see this team for what it is. I don't kiss ass, I am NOT an EO by any means. Some will say I am a #4. No I am not. I WILL Change my oppinion after many facts on the same subject come to light.

This board is 90% EO. They live in some Madden based Fantasy land.

As you might expect, I do not fit any of the categories.

I end and start the season as an optimist, but that is more of a survival mode for me. I have been saying wait til Next year since January 1967. :D

I am not negative but I will boo my team when it is deserved.

I am not an analyst. I understand the game, but my specialty is not writing a critique.

I never flip flop.

I believe I am part of the majority of Bills fans - AnMarie's screen name says it very well "BILLS4LIFE" - not blind but always ON the bandwagon. :lol:

I would like to say that I am a #3. I've always been on the bandwagon since I can remember. Never once waivered when my team was ridiculed about the SB's (hey at least we made it there). I have also been a dedicated season ticket holder for 4 years. (sounds like I am running for office) In regards to most on this board however, I will have to say that most here are 2's and 4's.