This is why the Ravens suck.

tennesseeboy

It is not just the players,one of the first things Harbough did as head coach was to hire the best offensive coordinator he could find. Cam Cameron was the OC for that 14-2 Charger team with Schottenheimer as HC, now he built a great power running game in Baltimore that really helped their rookie QB do well.

The Ravens could very well win the super bowl this year, then I suppose everyone will wake up and notice what a great team and coaches they have.

And the funny thing is when some of us suggested the Bills look at Cameron after he was ceremoniously turfed from Miami, we were laughed off the board....

People forget that great OCs don't always make great HCs. I believed then and still believe Cameron to fit that scenario. Instead, we "promote from within" and that leaves us with unproven coordinators like Schonert and now Van Pelt.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm...Ravens...Patriots...Giants....what do they have in common? oh....WINNING.

They have something else in common. They (and most of their opponents) all play in outdoors in the cold, and their teams are built as such. Even before Jauron, when a team with weak lines uses it's first draft selection on Roscoe Parrish, what does that tell you? But I will admit, the 06 draft was icing on the cake.

This has been going on for many years. Levy /Jauron merely took it to a new level of absurdity.

To me if Bryd isn't Ed Reeds then that was a stupid pick -Phil Loadholt was there as was Unger and some nice DEs- boy I wanted Sidbury- If Bryd isn't great then everyone involved with the pick should be fired.

J

rus Byrd will need to work harder if he is going to be the next Ed Reed. I don't know about the linemen we passed over but so far Byrd's committment level has been suspect.

To me if Bryd isn't Ed Reeds then that was a stupid pick -Phil Loadholt was there as was Unger and some nice DEs- boy I wanted Sidbury- If Bryd isn't great then everyone involved with the pick should be fired.

I feel the same way. Whitner was moved to Free, now Byrd drafted to play Free? WHere do these guys fit in? We have an average safety in Whitner, we need DL. That was just another terrible decision by the FO. And I dont care that "he hasnt played a game yet!?!?!?!?!?!"

Only took 'em a decade.

:rolleyes:

but who is counting?

Me!!! :)

The neglect of the OL has lasted considerably longer than a decade. It began with the 1993 draft, John Butler's first as GM. Under Butler, responsible for the drafts from 1993 - 2000, the Bills used just one first round pick on an offensive lineman, and no picks in the second round. Under TD (responsible for the drafts from 2001 - 2005), the Bills used just one first round pick, and no second round picks, on the OL. Under Marv (drafts 2006 & 2007) the Bills didn't use any picks in the first or second rounds on the OL. Nor did they do so in the 2008 draft, Russ Brandon's first as GM (or whatever title he has). By my count, that's a sixteen year stretch during which the OL was grossly neglected, at the direct expense of every Bills QB unfortunate enough to line up under center. Happily, that stretch of neglect seems to have been broken by the Wood/Levitre picks. I use the word "seems," because there's no guarantee that the front office won't go right back to neglecting the OL for another five or ten years or so.

no team in the league can boast depth. there is a shortage of LBs and def line player. as such, maybin needs to go where he is needed.

the team still needs impact players. TD was the worst GM is the history of the team. he treid to get 53 average players -- as opposed to 40 average players and 13 IMPACT PLAYERS. Mike Williams bing a scrub did not help. But really, TDs guys were/ are average to below average at all positions. YOu cant win in the league without a 4-10 impact types on your team. they dont have to be 1st rounders. i think the bill finally changed their approach on this -- as evident by the promsing play of nic harris at LB and Frad Jackson (a free agent pick up) -- who is becoming an impact RB by any standard.

Yeah, Takeo Spikes really sucked! He was just an average guy right?

This post=retarded

The bills needed a left (and right, actually) offensive tackle. Every offensive line position is not fungible. Wood and Levitre are fine, as far as they go. Ngata is and was a franchise type player, Maybin is a light defensive end/linebacker who will contribute, but not change much.

Maybin=Cornelius Bennett

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/...,1417899.column

I buy the "best player available" argument to some extent. But when you let an all pro tackle go with no replacement Oher would not have been too much of a stretch. Or they could have traded up for one of the three premier tackles. I like this team's attitude about offensive lines. They didn't do bad with the Ngata pick for their defensive line few years ago either... Dick..it isn't all about the defensive backs!

The Bills (and many teams, Baltimore apparently included) thought that Oher was a right tackle, not a left tackle. We are rich with right tackles, or at least we were until we got rid of Langston. It was at left tackle that we had a deficit, and we didn't think Oher would help with that.

Notice that Baltimore is playing Oher at RT, not LT. The two are not interchangeable, as Langston can attest.

Trading up for one of the top three would have cost us a very good pick. It would have probably cost us our second-rounder, or a third and a fifth. We had too many needs.

IMHO we were praying that Andre Smith would fall to us because of his well-documented character issues, which did indeed end up hurting the Bengals. But if they can get Andre in physical shape, he will be crushing people for them for years.

Maybin would be a OLB on any other team. ONLY In Buffalo do they press a 225-240lb kid into duty at DE.

That's what they said about Gholston last year too, he was a bit small and switching from a college DE to a pro LB is a piece of cake.

By the way, how's that working out for the Jets so far?

Hey i'm just saying it seems kinda silly to B word about how "great teams" build through the line when this last draft it sure seems like we made a small amount of effort to do exactly that. All i've heard for the last few years is people on here bitching about how when the draft comes and goes we dont draft lineman and thats why we aren't any good. I don't disagree with that statement btw but still. I find it funny that the first draft in probably a decade that has actually adressed the lines with 3 high round picks, is made by a "fake" GM who "Doesn't know what he's doing" and should be run out of town for a real GM. I'm sry I'm fully aware that I'm in the minority here but I think Russ deserves another year or 2 to show what he's gonna do, I like what hes done so far for the most part. Flame away :pirate:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/...,1417899.column

I buy the "best player available" argument to some extent. But when you let an all pro tackle go with no replacement Oher would not have been too much of a stretch. Or they could have traded up for one of the three premier tackles. I like this team's attitude about offensive lines. They didn't do bad with the Ngata pick for their defensive line few years ago either... Dick..it isn't all about the defensive backs!

Yeah tenny, the Ravens "suck". Even though they played in the AFC championship game last year. That's right; they suck. The Bills suck. Everyone sucks. Sarcasm sucks....

Wait a minute...

I was talking about the original post and maybe even that avatar? Is that guy real?

nah..he's not real..he's a republican. Bobby Jindall who they think is their next presidential candidate. Sorry about the retardation remark. I thought you were engaging in self reflection.

Listen..read the post..read the article. I meant essentially that the Ravens were doing it the right way and that their philosophy was something the bills should consider. I said "this is why they suck" in a sarcastic manner...it seemed that if people read the article they would conclude that I actually admired the way the Ravens went about getting players.

As to right tackle. If we have so many wonderful right tackles, why is TE getting tackled by all those defensive ends coming from that side? I like having wonderful right tackles and so many of them...but I'd also like it if some of them Ihell if even ONE of them) could pass block a little.

As to Oher, he starred at left tackle at Ole Miss, and his natural position is left tackle.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/...,0,177147.story

"Oher, 6 feet 4 and 310 pounds, has been exceedingly quick coming off the line of scrimmage after the ball is snapped. With his strong hands and solid base, he has been a point of attack for the ground game and formidable in pass protection.

One of the more memorable moments of the preseason occurred in the first game against Washington, when Oher pancaked Redskins defensive end Renaldo Wynn during a fourth-and-1 inside Washington's 10-yard line. Bloodied and helmetless, Oher got three stitches in his forehead and returned to the game.

Oher stood his ground in the team's third preseason game against the Carolina Panthers, in which he battled four-time Pro Bowl defensive end Julius Peppers to essentially a stalemate."

and

"Oher has excelled despite switching positions. A left tackle who surrendered just 2 1/2 sacks on 340 pass plays in his senior year at Mississippi, Oher has adapted to manning the right side of the offensive line.

Matsko said the most difficult aspect of the position change is the footwork.

"I really believe the young man is learning every day," Matsko said. "He's like a sponge. He takes everything in and really wants to try to do it the way that will allow him to have success. ... The thing that is beautiful about Michael is he has the feet of a left tackle who can play right tackle. That's really, really good because it allows him to play both sides."

I suppose to be fair I should post an article about our stable of excellent right tackles and their great preseason play...wati a minute...THERE AREN'T any freaking articles praising their play!