AVP Quote vs. Turk Schonert Quote

ChasBB

Turk Schonert quote upon taking over as the new offensive coordinator:

"The offense will be different," Schonert told Buffalobills.com. "It will be different. And I'm going to put my stamp on it. It's going to be our offense, not my offense. I want to get the coaches involved. I like having the players involved and their input." (http://assets.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=5809)

Alex Van Pelt quote upong taking over as the new offensive coordinator:

“Talking to them (Sunday) I want them to be open with me and communicate back with us as a staff with what they like and what they don’t like. I think the biggest thing is making them feel comfortable with what we’re going to call and why we’re going to call it. And I think if they feel good about it then they’ll go out and execute.” (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Van-Pelt-ready-to-assume-command/e644e357-03ac-4788-b480-0694402d8f49)

Clearly, Schonert was feeding us all a line of BS with his quote. Hopefully, AVP is telling the truth (and I believe AVP is going to deliver on his promise to open up communication), but it is interesting to compare quotes. They can all say what they want to say or what sounds good, but they've got to deliver on their remarks.

AVP, like Marv was, is a consensus builder. He gave advice and according to Jim Kelly was a great adviser, student of the game and recognizer of defenses. I am hoping for better play calling but it also will greatly depend upon Eric Studesville being able to advise on where running holes are found.

I am a little nervous with no QB coach on the field. The plan is to have Ryan Fitzpatrick relay calls from AVP to Trent Edwards on field but this of course will need to change if Edwards is injured. I think with three relatively young QBs on the roster the Bills need a QB coach as well as an OC.

AVP, like Marv was, is a consensus builder. He gave advice and according to Jim Kelly was a great adviser, student of the game and recognizer of defenses. I am hoping for better play calling but it also will greatly depend upon Eric Studesville being able to advise on where running holes are found.

I am a little nervous with no QB coach on the field. The plan is to have Ryan Fitzpatrick relay calls from AVP to Trent Edwards on field but this of course will need to change if Edwards is injured. I think with three relatively young QBs on the roster the Bills need a QB coach as well as an OC.

Also, with regard to AVP and Schonert, from what's being reported personality-wise they couldn't be more different. Chris Collinsworth, who's friends with TS, even went so far as to suggest that noone has a bigger ego. That really doesn't fit with the idea that he craved other people's input. AVP, on the other hand, seems like he really just wants things to work. Hearing him on the radio and in the booth he always seemed very self-depricating and affable, but also bursting with enthusiasm for the game. Like I've stated in other posts, I just hope he has the time to succeed.

As far as the QB coach, they'll have to address that before TE gets hurt if this is going to work. Besides just gameday they're going to need to have someone work with him besides AVP, otherwise where is AVP going to find the time to put together the gameplan (versus are we really just going to let our struggling young QB dangle in the breeze while his QB coach works on the gameplan.) They're going to at least need an assistant QB coach or something. Let's just hope that they address this sooner rather than later.

Edit: Timely little piece of journalism; http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/12171445

i am so tired of inexperienced co-ordinators...i realize they didnt have much of a choice in this situation but when was the last time the Bills had an experienced co-ordinator on either side of the ball

When Ralph wasn't saving every last penny for his kids' inheritance. Early Bill Polian days, to be more exact.

i am so tired of inexperienced co-ordinators...i realize they didnt have much of a choice in this situation but when was the last time the Bills had an experienced co-ordinator on either side of the ball

I agree, if only we could get someone like Kevin Gilbride. Look at the job he's doing with the Giants offense. :rolleyes:

Turk Schonert quote upon taking over as the new offensive coordinator:

"....And I'm going to put my stamp on it....

Alex Van Pelt quote upong taking over as the new offensive coordinator:

“...I think the biggest thing is making them feel comfortable with what we’re going to call and why we’re going to call it. And I think if they feel good about it then they’ll go out and execute.”

Turk-ey's ego showed through despite saying the very opposite in the very next sentence that I omitted on purpose. His offense was not different, but he absolutely put his over coached over schemed over packaged stamp on it all right. :unsure: Like I said last season after he basically nailed 6'5 Hardy to the bench after the kid caught that nice pass in the corner of the end zone to beat the Jags, how stupid could Hardy really be on 3rd and 4, to not be able to run 5 yards, turn around, and catch a pass too high for any one else on the field to catch for the first down? :ph34r: The sad mis-use of James Hardy was all I needed to see to write Turk-ey and his offense off long ago.

AVP said all the right things this weekend. Now we can only hope he really is different from the ego-maniacial OC's in today's NFL who think winning is all and only about their schemes and packages.

Last year Hamdan seemed to be talking (coaching?) to Trent a lot during the games. I wonder if AVP handed Hamdan the supporting Trent role.'

I wouldnt be too worried about it, TE said that he was seeing defenses similar to how Fitz was seeing it (or vica versa). That comment is a good indicator that the QBs have a good threeway chemistry going imho.

Turk-ey's ego showed through despite saying the very opposite in the very next sentence that I omitted on purpose. His offense was not different, but he absolutely put his over coached over schemed over packaged stamp on it all right. :unsure: Like I said last season after he basically nailed 6'5 Hardy to the bench after the kid caught that nice pass in the corner of the end zone to beat the Jags, how stupid could Hardy really be on 3rd and 4, to not be able to run 5 yards, turn around, and catch a pass too high for any one else on the field to catch for the first down? :ph34r: The sad mis-use of James Hardy was all I needed to see to write Turk-ey and his offense off long ago.

AVP said all the right things this weekend. Now we can only hope he really is different from the ego-maniacial OC's in today's NFL who think winning is all and only about their schemes and packages.

I saw about all of Hardy I needed to against the Rams when he couldn't use his body to shield Ty Hill in the endzone. THREE times.

Hardy is as raw as it comes and adding his injury to that would lead me to believe it was a pretty smart decision to leave him nailed to the bench.

I'm not defending Schonert at all but I don't think your example holds much water.

Really, As bad as our offense has been....since week 6 of last year. Could AVP be any worse? It's almost addition by subtraction. I drove in 10 hours to 2 games last year. One was SD. Great fun, even with the power outage, Second was SF. The worst called game I've ever seen. How do you not even try to run the ball on first and goal on the three when you have Marshawn in the backfield? And this preseason was a joke. I don't hold much in preseason games, but to me it's obvious that Turk had no support. He lost the offense. And if Dick had any chance of not losing the team he had to make a choice. And he did it. Now, we have to wait for a while to see if it works. Hopefully it works sooner rather than later.

Really, As bad as our offense has been....since week 6 of last year. Could AVP be any worse? It's almost addition by subtraction. I drove in 10 hours to 2 games last year. One was SD. Great fun, even with the power outage, Second was SF. The worst called game I've ever seen. How do you not even try to run the ball on first and goal on the three when you have Marshawn in the backfield? And this preseason was a joke. I don't hold much in preseason games, but to me it's obvious that Turk had no support. He lost the offense. And if Dick had any chance of not losing the team he had to make a choice. And he did it. Now, we have to wait for a while to see if it works. Hopefully it works sooner rather than later.

For the record, the "addition by subtraction" mantra was preached quite heavily around these parts when Fairchild exited stage left of Colorado State and TS came on as OC.

I think AVP will be different, and he'll not let his ego get in the way. I'm hopeful, but none of us know what to expect. It may be something that this offense doesn't start clicking until later in the season, especially considering the youth and lack of talent on the OL.

Agree, can't see things getting any worse. AVP could be exactly what they need. We'll just have to wait and see.

For those lamenting the "no experience" OCs....remember that people ran two SB winning OCs out of town in Dan Henning and Kevin Gilbride.

And I really don't mind. I have no feelings either way about Gilbride...but Henning was a !@#$ing moron when he was here - a passing game build around deep routes designed to get his 2nd-year QB killed.

We had Gilbride, and everyone hated him for calling passes on 3rd and 1, and he's got a Super Bowl ring somewhere else. We had Dan Henning too, he of the Wildcat, and BillsNation hated him too. I don't even want to hear it from Bills fans on coordinators, we make sure we hate every single one of them for some reason.