The Bills Cut Rhodes to Save Money?.....

VJ91

Nothing can ever shock me with the Ralph Wilson Bills anymore. They signed Dominick Rhodes to a very fair veteran running back 2 year contract, because he would be outstanding insurance behind Freddy as Marshawn sits out his 3 game suspension. Then, Jackson gets injured during the preseason, forcing Freddy to sit out most of the games, making Rhodes even more valuable, and the Bills, for once, looking even smarter to sign Rhodes.

Then, the Bills cut Rhodes. :wallbash::D:lol:

I wish I could be a fly on the wall at OBD, and listen in to the truth of what goes on between Brandon, Wilson and Overdorf on the subject of money. Allow me to throw out a guess here: Wilson is upset that he has to eat this year's salary of Schonerts, so he told DJ to save him some money on the 53 man roster.

How else can you explain this cut? It's not like DJ told us Rhodes would be coming in to compete with the X-Man for the third running back spot, and X-Man won the competition fair and square. Rhodes had a better preseason then X, although he did fumble a couple of times. But come on, Rhodes is not some 7th round draft pick fumbling in the preseason. No other Buffalo Bill currently on the roster was in line for a SB MVP trophy, as Rhodes was, in the Colts SB win over Chicago a few years ago. Well, maybe he wasn't a serious contender for MVP, since Manning had gone over 10 years before finally winning the big one, and he did have a nice game. But unheralded Rhodes also had a nice game in that SB, rushing for over 100 yards.

So you tell me. How could the Bills cut this veteran who has a history of perfroming in the biggest games, and was very happy to sign with Buffalo despite knowing Lynch was the number one guy, and the Bills love Freddy Jackson as a number 2 guy? Money? That's great. Nice cash savings Ralph. If Jackson gets hurt before Lynch comes back, I'm sure you'll enjoy that cash savings while Xavior Omon becomes your only viable running back after cutting Rhodes.

As I said, nothing can shock me anymore with the Bills. And oh by the way, I'm sure Ralph will continue to love watching Kelsy and Denny make zero plays near the line of scrimmage, while Copeland Brian gets the chance I feel he at least deserved to replace one of those two stiffs, with another NFL team later this fall. :wallbash:

Rhodes DID NOT outplay Omon in the preseason. Omon ran 29 times for 79 yards 1 TD and 6 rec for 90 yards.

Rhodes ran 19 times for 64 yards 1 TD and 4 catches for 21 yards. He also fumbled twice, which is absolutely inexcusable for a RB.

Rhodes DID NOT outplay Omon in the preseason. Omon ran 29 times for 79 yards 1 TD and 6 rec for 90 yards.

Rhodes ran 19 times for 64 yards 1 TD and 4 catches for 21 yards. He also fumbled twice, which is absolutely inexcusable for a RB.

:wallbash: Great research. Obvioulsy, I did not do my homework. I think I read somewhere that Rhodes had a better average yards per carry then X, and I ass....umed his stats were better too.

But as I said this was not ever made out as a competition between Rhodes and X anyway! Rhodes was brought in to work with Jackson until Lynch got back. Omon is still young and unproven. Rhodes has always produced in real NFL games, and of course X will perfrom well in preseason games against other teams' back ups.

I have a feeling some team will get some quality playing time out of Rhodes this season, and I can only hope Jackson and X find the holes and catch the passes these first 3 games that COUNT in the standings.

Why make this crap up? Did you bother to think there could be millions of other reasons for cutting the guy? Maybe he is just not good enough anymore. Remember that Rhodes was not buffalo's first choice in FA. There must have been reasons for this.

If Ralph was so concerned about the money he would not have signed the guy in the first place.

If this is the cut that has you the most fired up.. then you aren't paying attention. Rhodes is a dime a dozen RB, nothing special.. and he performed in "big games" because defenses had to worry about guys like Manning, Harrison, Wayne, Clark and Addai first.

If saving money was the real motivator here.. explain why Kelsay, and not Copeland Bryan is still on the roster.

+1

I think Omon took a huge step forward from the previous year and showed that he could hold his own the first 3 weeks of the season as Jackson's backup. Rhodes simply didn't take advantage of the opportunity given.

The Bills did not cut Rhodes to save money. If they wanted to save money they never would have signed him in the first place. It was their hope that he would prove worthy of the contract. He didn't. He had a terrible camp and looked less than pedestrian in the pre-season games. And his blitz pick-ups, for a guy with his experience, especially in a one-back offensive set, was atrocious.

He simply didn't earn a spot on the roster.

GO BILLS!!!

Omon sucks. He can't run or block very well. In the two preseasons i have watched him he has not shown me any reason he should be on the 53 man roster. Now I'm not saying Rhodes was a hell of a lot better, but he was better than Omon.

Fact is Rhodes wasn't good enough to make the team. I fully expect the Bills to sign someone else after the league wide cuts are sorted out.

Rhodes was cut so Ralph could save money. No other reason, and no point discussing it any further. For those who are Ralph fans, today is a financial savings victory that should be celebrated.

Reason on your logic..if you say the Bills cut Rhodes to save money, then it has to mean they signed him knowing they would cut him. Ralph signed off on his signing..it makes absolutely no sense that they now cut him to save money. He didn't make that much. He came relatively cheap. Fact is, he was not good enough.

This is not about money. Rhodes looks less than average in the work in pre-season. He did absolutely nothing to distinguish himself and move up the depth chart. It was a simple choice between a guy who is clearly on the down slope of his career vs a younger guy with plenty of upside potential. It was wiorth a try to sign Rhodes and see if he had anything left in the tank, but since he did not show himself to be better that the existing 3rd string guy, why keep him.