Andre Smith out Indefinitely

WildBills

You can't be a bust without playing a down yet. Some of the best players in the league are lazy and have weight problems. We all knew Smith was lazy and fat, and also the best OT in college football. I'll wait to see how he performs on the field before deciding if he's a bust or not. Smith has not done anything out of his character that nobody already expected. This kind of behavior was why he wasn't picked #1 overall. Let's see him play.

I agree with that..just the wind be a blowin that way :sick:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't be a bust without playing a down yet. Some of the best players in the league are lazy and have weight problems. We all knew Smith was lazy and fat, and also the best OT in college football. I'll wait to see how he performs on the field before deciding if he's a bust or not. Smith has not done anything out of his character that nobody already expected. This kind of behavior was why he wasn't picked #1 overall. Let's see him play.

And because of that crappy self-motivation, we'll ALL be waiting to see how he performs on the field.

Maybe he'll be the next Orlando Pace ... or the next Mike Williams. You're correct, we don't know which way he'll go. Can't argue that he's making a good first impression, though ...

And because of that crappy self-motivation, we'll ALL be waiting to see how he performs on the field.

Maybe he'll be the next Orlando Pace ... or the next Mike Williams. You're correct, we don't know which way he'll go. Can't argue that he's making a good first impression, though ...

Even though he has the potential to be Pace no way would I have elected to draft him that high. Look what the Willims pick did to the Bills. It leaveas a stain on your team for years. Not that the Bills had an option for him but I am glad he is not on our roster.

This is just amazing! The foot fracture is likely just a freak thing, but this kid has had 'issues' all along. He looked like a slob at the combine and he evidently did nothing to improve himself. That the SEC features so many great football players, and he was considered the best OT, is mind boggling to me that he can't/won't assure himself of achieving everything he can in an NFL career.

"Smith clearly wasn't in football shape when he signed his $42M rookie deal on Sunday"

IF ever there appeared to be a complete bust, it's this guy.

Bruce smith was a fat slob his rookie season it all depends on how much they want it Mike Williams was a physical specimen but didn't take things seriously he was definitely a bust but in great shape

normally id say that you cant predict a player would have the same injury on another team. like Crowell in Tampa for example, who got hurt in a drill. Its impossible to say, and highly unlikely, that he would have had the same injury if he stayed on the Bills.

HOWEVER, since Smith fractured his foot in a no-contact walk through, you have to assume this would have happened no matter where he was.

youre right that nobady could have predicted it, but some certainly could have seen it coming with his sloppy, out of shape, body.

i have a feeling that on this one, had the Bills (or anyone else) drafted him, theyd be dealing with the same mess.

He dropped his lunch on his foot.

It must be me, but I just can't understand the logic here.

(Before he was drafted)

-Smith is overweight

-Leaves and goes MIA at the combine

-Manages to get fatter

-Clearly has off-field issues.

(draft time)

-He drops from being the top tackle in the draft because teams are scared away from his attitude, even though they know the dude was far and away the best OT of the group. The Bengals were the first team that said look, we know you're a fat and lazy S.O.B off the field but you're a menace at tackle on the field. We'll deal with your crap and put up with you because we need you on the line.

(now)

-Everyone is surprised when he keeps acting the way he's acted his whole life.

I just don't get it. Everyone knew the player they would get, and everyone knew the problems and baggage he was going to bring along with him. Yet, everyone is complaining about the baggage. Smith = crap off the field, dominant on the field. There isn't one person who thought otherwise. Well, this is the off the field problems that is going to go on. It isn't out of the ordinary. It isn't something that nobody expected. This is what the Bengals or any other team that selected him signed up for, and don't believe that if the Bengals passed, he would have gotten out of the top 10. There were plenty of other teams that would have selected him even with the balance of on-field vs. off-field issues.

This is like being angry at the tiger when he eats the showman.

Not surprised, not angry. Just thought it was worth commenting on.

Yeah, I just think the real issue is him on the playing field. The off-field Smith is always going to be there, we knew that. But if he doesn't perform on the field like he did in college, then there's a problem. Off-field Smith doesn't matter if on-field Smith is his dominant self. I'm interested to see how he translates.

Yeah, I just think the real issue is him on the playing field. The off-field Smith is always going to be there, we knew that. But if he doesn't perform on the field like he did in college, then there's a problem. Off-field Smith doesn't matter if on-field Smith is his dominant self. I'm interested to see how he translates.

the problem here, and what we were all commenting on, is the fact that BECAUSE he has been lazy and over-weight, he now has a non-contact injury that will keep him out for probably the first 4 games, easy. and therefore OFF the field.

now, you can say that you cant fairly judge him a bust yet, and that is true. but given the fact that he wont even be playing for lets say the first quarter of the season... cant you say he's been a bust so far??

this wasnt a freak accidental injury that happened when someone rolled into his knee or stepped on his foot. he just took a normal step and his bone fractured. this probably would have happened no matter what team drafted him.

I have to be honest, the Bungles would have been better off just telling the fat ass to go back into the draft. I wouldn't have drafted this guy period.

I'm surprised they didn't trade out of the #6 spot this past draft - perhaps they tried, but no takers.

That owner must have gagged on the prospect of paying top - 10 money.

ESPN reported Smith arrived at 365 lbs!! 34 lbs over his playing weight. Plus he said he lost 8 pounds before arriving at camp!! Did this guy even get off the coach once since college?

PTR

History is a good indicator of what to expect. Something is going to have to internally change for this man for him to be what they hope for him to be.

ESPN reported Smith arrived at 365 lbs!! 34 lbs over his playing weight. Plus he said he lost 8 pounds before arriving at camp!! Did this guy even get off the coach once since college?

PTR

He also had a clause in his contract that would cause him to lose a bunch of money if he was over 350 (apparently one of the sticking points to getting him signed). Wonder when that kicked in? If he was really 365 when he got there they had to know he was already over. They must have given him a grace period to get into shape.

On Hard Knocks they showed him in Alabama working out, and I was thinking to myself that he hardly looked like he was moving. Barely breathing hard or sweating, which says something for a guy his size. I thought maybe they just didn't show the tougher parts of the workout, but maybe they did?

This is just amazing! The foot fracture is likely just a freak thing, but this kid has had 'issues' all along. He looked like a slob at the combine and he evidently did nothing to improve himself. That the SEC features so many great football players, and he was considered the best OT, is mind boggling to me that he can't/won't assure himself of achieving everything he can in an NFL career.

"Smith clearly wasn't in football shape when he signed his $42M rookie deal on Sunday"

IF ever there appeared to be a complete bust, it's this guy.

I really only hold injuries against a pick if he's had a history of injuries. Smith hasn't had any injuries that kept him from playing. However, I believe his carrying a lot of extra weight contributed to the problem and it was well known he's a lazy fat guy. He isn't near a bust yet but he's not getting off on the right foot. (No pun intended)

I wanted to start a thread to report this myself just so I could pre-emptively make fun of anyone saying "thank god the Bills didn't pick him." There's nothing more annoying than when people say that about players on other teams who get injured. Like he was going to break his foot two days into camp with any team that signed him. It's different if he turns out to be a bust, but when a guy gets injured, it is absolutely ridiculous to say "thank god we didn't pick him.

If he had signed a contract and reported to camp at the beginning he may not have been that much overweight and maybe would have had less chance of injuring himself.

He dropped his lunch on his foot.

:blink: He doesn't strike me as a lunch pail guy. :flirt:

If he had signed a contract and reported to camp at the beginning he may not have been that much overweight and maybe would have had less chance of injuring himself.

And maybe since he would have a month more of practices and training camp, he could have suffered a more serious injury. What is the point of that?

He also had a clause in his contract that would cause him to lose a bunch of money if he was over 350 (apparently one of the sticking points to getting him signed). Wonder when that kicked in? If he was really 365 when he got there they had to know he was already over. They must have given him a grace period to get into shape.

On Hard Knocks they showed him in Alabama working out, and I was thinking to myself that he hardly looked like he was moving. Barely breathing hard or sweating, which says something for a guy his size. I thought maybe they just didn't show the tougher parts of the workout, but maybe they did?

No word on when or exactly how the weight clause kicks in, but on NFL Network's TA they said the clause was inserted at the last minute when he came in for the signing. So I imagine they're giving him some amount of time to get into shape.

Anyone else see the Hard Knocks episode where they made fun of him in the rookie skit. Funny as hell. Andre Smith has not endeared himself to his teammates or fans. The broken foot is just bad luck.

it was one of the funniest things i have ever watched.

________________________________________________________________________________

Sources told ESPN.com's James Walker on Tuesday that the Bengals demanded that Smith have a weight-control clause in his contract. Smith would lose a significant portion of his salary if his weight exceeded 350 pounds.

Though listed at 335 pounds, Smith tipped the scales at 364 when he showed up to sign his contract, convincing team officials to install the clause on the spot, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Smith, whose deal includes $21 million guaranteed and maxes out at six years and $42 million, was trying to claim the starting right tackle job.

If Smith does not get his weight down to 350 pounds in the next 30 days, and he is inactive for a game, the Bengals will have the right to fine him up to 50 percent of one game check (roughly $10,000), sources told Schefter. He would have the chance to recoup the money with performance, but the incentive is there.

Since he resumed football workouts Sunday, Smith's weight already has dropped to 358 pounds, sources said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp...tory?id=4438326