Trent Edwards Yards Per Completion Stats

Edwards / throwing downfield

Posted Sep. 01 at 04:32 PM

As key for the Buffalo Bills, as they toy around with a no-huddle offense is whether Trent Edwards can throw effectively downfield.

Edwards is a careful, accurate quarterback. He completed 65.5 percent of his passes last year, which is the highest ever by a quarterback in his second year. That record used to be held by Joe Montana.

But way too many of Edwards’ passes are of the harmless short variety – a 5-yard dumpoff to a fullback on third-and-13. He’s got a great pair of receivers at his disposal – Terrell Owens and Lee Evans. He’s got to put the ball downfield and give those guys chances to make plays.

It’s worrying, then, when you look at the preseason numbers. Edwards hasn’t played a lot. And Owens has been on the sideline for three games. But he looks like the same old Trent Edwards. Down at 7.3 yards per completion, which is lower than any team has finished with since the move to the 16-game schedule in 1978 – over 30 years ago.

How Edwards compares to other teams in the preseason. This is yards per completion (not yards per attempt):

Com Yds Avg

47 633 13.5 Cincinnati Bengals

47 623 13.3 New York Jets

65 849 13.1 San Diego Chargers

60 781 13.0 New Orleans Saints

71 877 12.4 Baltimore Ravens

52 631 12.1 Green Bay Packers

57 690 12.1 Jacksonville Jaguars

78 944 12.1 Arizona Cardinals

59 693 11.7 Oakland Raiders

55 633 11.5 Chicago Bears

44 492 11.2 Miami Dolphins

45 501 11.1 Carolina Panthers

47 523 11.1 Cleveland Browns

49 545 11.1 Washington Redskins

64 710 11.1 Detroit Lions

68 754 11.1 Dallas Cowboys

55 607 11.0 Pittsburgh Steelers

56 588 10.5 Indianapolis Colts

57 592 10.4 Minnesota Vikings

54 557 10.3 New England Patriots

62 635 10.2 Houston Texans

52 525 10.1 New York Giants

47 474 10.1 San Francisco 49ers

99 989 10.0 Philadelphia Eagles

80 796 10.0 Tennessee Titans

65 636 9.8 Denver Broncos

60 555 9.3 Atlanta Falcons

70 628 9.0 Seattle Seahawks

52 458 8.8 St. Louis Rams

61 536 8.8 Kansas City Chiefs

56 464 8.3 Tampa Bay Buccaneers

26 189 7.3 Trent Edwards

Trent's numbers would be a lot better if those recievers would stop getting tackled so soon and actually run with the ball 10 yards or so before getting tackled. That'd fix the problem right there.

TO's yards per completion in pre season was 13.5. So there. Just wait til TO gets back.

May be it would have helped to find out what is his Yards/Completion and Yards/Attempt last season and compare ot how teams did last season.

Pre-season stats mean squat since it is a experimental stage for different teams. I wouldn't put too much into pre-season stats.

Edwards / throwing downfield

Posted Sep. 01 at 04:32 PM

As key for the Buffalo Bills, as they toy around with a no-huddle offense is whether Trent Edwards can throw effectively downfield.

Edwards is a careful, accurate quarterback. He completed 65.5 percent of his passes last year, which is the highest ever by a quarterback in his second year. That record used to be held by Joe Montana.

But way too many of Edwards’ passes are of the harmless short variety – a 5-yard dumpoff to a fullback on third-and-13. He’s got a great pair of receivers at his disposal – Terrell Owens and Lee Evans. He’s got to put the ball downfield and give those guys chances to make plays.

It’s worrying, then, when you look at the preseason numbers. Edwards hasn’t played a lot. And Owens has been on the sideline for three games. But he looks like the same old Trent Edwards. Down at 7.3 yards per completion, which is lower than any team has finished with since the move to the 16-game schedule in 1978 – over 30 years ago.

How Edwards compares to other teams in the preseason. This is yards per completion (not yards per attempt):

Com Yds Avg

47 633 13.5 Cincinnati Bengals

47 623 13.3 New York Jets

65 849 13.1 San Diego Chargers

60 781 13.0 New Orleans Saints

71 877 12.4 Baltimore Ravens

52 631 12.1 Green Bay Packers

57 690 12.1 Jacksonville Jaguars

78 944 12.1 Arizona Cardinals

59 693 11.7 Oakland Raiders

55 633 11.5 Chicago Bears

44 492 11.2 Miami Dolphins

45 501 11.1 Carolina Panthers

47 523 11.1 Cleveland Browns

49 545 11.1 Washington Redskins

64 710 11.1 Detroit Lions

68 754 11.1 Dallas Cowboys

55 607 11.0 Pittsburgh Steelers

56 588 10.5 Indianapolis Colts

57 592 10.4 Minnesota Vikings

54 557 10.3 New England Patriots

62 635 10.2 Houston Texans

52 525 10.1 New York Giants

47 474 10.1 San Francisco 49ers

99 989 10.0 Philadelphia Eagles

80 796 10.0 Tennessee Titans

65 636 9.8 Denver Broncos

60 555 9.3 Atlanta Falcons

70 628 9.0 Seattle Seahawks

52 458 8.8 St. Louis Rams

61 536 8.8 Kansas City Chiefs

56 464 8.3 Tampa Bay Buccaneers

26 189 7.3 Trent Edwards

Nice write up, but bottom line is that it's preseason. Let's worry about TE after the season begins.

It's only three games. Owens is injured. And most importantly ...

IT'S PRESEASON, ALREADY!!!

If it happens in the regular season then we have a problem.

You know, you people who keep spitting out it's only preseason need to have a reality check.

Do you think somehow someway Trent is just going to turn it on and things will be rosie? If you really think there are no concerns with his play this preseason and even going back to when the games counted last season than your an idiot.

I think it is just the Trent lovers that can't face reality that their boy stinks and are holding out what little hope there might be. He's not a good QB, never has been (college or pros) and never will be.

Trent had best start getting the Bills into the endzone this season because Bills fans have had enough of his completion percentage and no points to show for it. If he has a bad season the Bills will no doubt be drafting a first round QB in 2010.

Gosh I hope not. If Trent lays an egg this year I'd prefer to see the Bills got the FA/trade route. Let's get someone we know can play. Rookie QBs no matter how highly touted are a crap shoot. I've had enough with rookie QBs.

Trent's gonna be OK (I hope).

Go Trent !!

Go BILLS !!

And preseason means so much doesn't it? It is so relevant to the regular season.

Why don't we just let the season play out......if it was up to most people on this board he would have been yanked after the first half of the Seattle, Denver, and Oakland games last year...all games he won. So can't we just let the season play out?

Gosh I hope not. If Trent lays an egg this year I'd prefer to see the Bills got the FA/trade route. Let's get someone we know can play. Rookie QBs no matter how highly touted are a crap shoot. I've had enough with rookie QBs.

Trent's gonna be OK (I hope).

Go Trent !!

Go BILLS !!

They're not going to get any free agent QB of note who would come to Buffalo. The Bills will need to bite the bullet and move forward to a new era with a top QB prospect and a new head coach.

It's only three games. Owens is injured. And most importantly ...

IT'S PRESEASON, ALREADY!!!

If it happens in the regular season then we have a problem.

That's the thing about worrying. You worry in expectation of something bad to happen. Hence people worry about the regular season that has yet to happen based on his preseason performance. Once it ACTUALLY DOES HAPPEN no use worrying about it. You just have to ACCEPT. Accept that Trent is a checkdown artist and start looking at free agents and to the 2010 draft.

Trent's numbers would be a lot better if those recievers would stop getting tackled so soon and actually run with the ball 10 yards or so before getting tackled. That'd fix the problem right there.

TO's yards per completion in pre season was 13.5. So there. Just wait til TO gets back.

How many receptions was that based on? I've got a sneaky feeling that it is completely statistically irrelevant due to low sample size. Nice try to use statistics to deceive :sick:

And preseason means so much doesn't it? It is so relevant to the regular season.

Why don't we just let the season play out......if it was up to most people on this board he would have been yanked after the first half of the Seattle, Denver, and Oakland games last year...all games he won. So can't we just let the season play out?

What did Trent do so great to win those games? To me for a QB to win a game he's got to throw for 250 - 350 yds and 2 - 3 TDs with at least one of them being a "how did he get of that and make that td pass?".

It's rare when a single guy can win a game for you but it's much more common that a single guy can LOSE you a game for you.

So you're comparing Trent to other NFL *teams*? I mean at least break it down by starting qb's so that its (preseason) apples to apples...

That's only relevant if other teams starting QBs throw for fewer yards per completion than their backups. I could be wrong but it seems the Bills are the only team in that position. If we compared starters to starters Trent would look even worse!!!!

TO had 2 catches for 27 yards (13.5 avg.) in the Titans game. That's what I based my stats on.

Right....statistically irrelevant. The sample size is too small to be a good indicator. Don't get me wrong. TO WILL help this team but unless he played 3 or 4 games for significant time, 2 catches in the hall of fame game isn't really telling me much.

I seem to remeber the announcer (tasker i think) saying that trent was only comfortable throwing hitch routes and any other that involves them stopping and turning towards him and that he would like to see trent throw the ball to receivers on the run. I agree and yes its only preseason but isnt that the time to take your shots downfield cause missing isnt that important but practicing them at game speed is. Im on the not sure about trent bandwagon. Great at comp percentage and giving players a chance to make plays but not so good at making plays himself.

I seem to remeber the announcer (tasker i think) saying that trent was only comfortable throwing hitch routes and any other that involves them stopping and turning towards him and that he would like to see trent throw the ball to receivers on the run. I agree and yes its only preseason but isnt that the time to take your shots downfield cause missing isnt that important but practicing them at game speed is. Im on the not sure about trent bandwagon. Great at comp percentage and giving players a chance to make plays but not so good at making plays himself.

Wow. Good catch s122!!! At first read I thought reddogblitz was being sarcastic. Until I read your response, I just assumed it was a joke thinking "how could he possibly be serious?"

So you're comparing Trent to other NFL *teams*? I mean at least break it down by starting qb's so that its (preseason) apples to apples...

Using NFL.com and excel I did run the stats. In 2008, (preseason is meaningless argument out the window), Trent was 23rd in the league at exactly 11 yds per reception. Of the worst 10 on that list Trent was the only starting QB to not have at least 3000yds!

I don't know if this is on Trent or the play calling but I would contend that our WRs actually don't have many chances to make plays. Trent waits until a WR is wide open to throw them the ball. With the low velocity on his passes the defenders have plenty of time to adjust and tackle the WR as the ball gets there if not make a play on the ball and deflect it for an interception.