How a Stanford grad calls out his coaches

Check out these Edwards quotes from after the Packers and Steelers games. Seems to me that Trent is crying out for some decent coaching the only way he knows how - very carefully and subtly through the media.

After the Packers game:

"If you want to call the plays and throw the ball down field, that's fine but I'm taking what the defense is giving me, continuing to go through my reads and that's the way I'm coached. We have coaches that are paid a lot of money to coach me that way and that's the plays that are being made and that's what I need to do and not get outside of it."

Trent after Packers game

And again after the Steelers game:

"There is area for concern," he said. "There is plenty of things we need to fix pretty quickly. But I feel like we have a good group of guys who want to go in the right direction who want to be coached, and that's the bottom line."

Trent after Steelers game

So he says after the Steelers game that the Bills players are a good group of guys who "want to go in the right direction and want to be coached." Have you ever heard a player talk like that? If a team is losing and a player says the guys "want to be coached", isn't that a veiled cry for help?

Maybe I'm overreaching here but both of these quotes sound to me like Trent is distancing himself (and, in the second quote, distancing all the players) from the coaches. Either Trent is to blame but refuses to take personal responsibility for the current mess, or he believes that the coaching is at fault and is starting to say so publicly. Either way, it looks to me like we are headed for a train wreck at OBD - and this is all before TO even comes on the scene. Yikes - could be a wild ride this year!

Check out these Edwards quotes from after the Packers and Steelers games. Seems to me that Trent is crying out for some decent coaching the only way he knows how - very carefully and subtly through the media.

After the Packers game:

"If you want to call the plays and throw the ball down field, that's fine but I'm taking what the defense is giving me, continuing to go through my reads and that's the way I'm coached. We have coaches that are paid a lot of money to coach me that way and that's the plays that are being made and that's what I need to do and not get outside of it."

Trent after Packers game

"There is area for concern," he said. "There is plenty of things we need to fix pretty quickly. But I feel like we have a good group of guys who want to go in the right direction who want to be coached, and that's the bottom line."

So he says after the Steelers game that the Bills players are a good group of guys who "want to go in the right direction and want to be coached." Have you ever heard a player talk like that? If a team is losing and a player says the guys "want to be coached", isn't that a veiled cry for help?

Maybe I'm overreaching here but both of these quotes sound to me like Trent is distancing himself (and, in the second quote, distancing all the players) from the coaches. Either Trent is to blame but refuses to take personal responsibility for the current mess, or he believes that the coaching is at fault and is starting to say so publicly. Either way, it looks to me like we are headed for a train wreck at OBD - and this is all before TO even comes on the scene. Yikes - could be a wild ride this year!

I was wondering the same thing. Is it really TE's fault, or is the coaches limiting his play calling? If it is the latter, then TE is just doing what he is told to do, and therefore becomes the dutiful and obedient servant to the utter disgrace of the team. If it is TE's fault, then at least come clean and own up to it. He looked horrible; literally scared to death. He is way past the dear in the headlight look of Porcelain Rob. This kid is scared to come out and play.

I was wondering the same thing. Is it really TE's fault, or is the coaches limiting his play calling? If it is the latter, then TE is just doing what he is told to do, and therefore becomes the dutiful and obedient servant to the utter disgrace of the team. If it is TE's fault, then at least come clean and own up to it. He looked horrible; literally scared to death. He is way past the dear in the headlight look of Porcelain Rob. This kid is scared to come out and play.

Does anyone out there feel that the coaches may not be stretching the field in the preseason intentionally, as to not show their hand?

He gets rid of the ball like its a hot potato. Regardless of the playcall, he does not let anything develop. I will give him a break in that his rb's appear to have no ability to slow up a rusher. Seems our rb's have to block more than others particularly vs a 3-4.

I really think at this point that it's the coaches. We've seen several QBs now over the past few years demonstrate the EXACT same problems...which can only lead me to believe that the problem is not the QBs.

Or if it is, it's because the front office keeps drafting QBs with the exact same problems. I have a much harder time believing that.

Guys - let's not forget who we have on our team. If the OC is not calling the plays and not allowing TE to look downfield TO will be tweeting about it at halftime of the New England game.

I was never a huge fan of TOs but he has exactly what this team needs - a pair of balls.

Does anyone out there feel that the coaches may not be stretching the field in the preseason intentionally, as to not show their hand?

Yes, the same tactic employed all of last season in preparation for this year. Part of DJ's master plan for sure. I'm sure he has thrown the entire league off and will most cetainly win the SB this year as a result. He's brilliant ... just brilliant.

I really think at this point that it's the coaches. We've seen several QBs now over the past few years demonstrate the EXACT same problems...which can only lead me to believe that the problem is not the QBs.

Or if it is, it's because the front office keeps drafting QBs with the exact same problems. I have a much harder time believing that.

There you go again, applying logic, it's like communicating in binary.

I think Trentative sounds EXACTLY like Bledsoe used to, a lot of: we need to do this, we need to do that. No Trent, you need to play QB at a level capable of leading this team to the playoffs...

After the Packers game:

Trent after Packers game

Your take is one way to look at it. Another way to look at it is I'm taking what the defense is giving me, meaning he doesn't feel the defense is giving him the opportunity to make downfield throws and or he doesn't have the balls to pull the trigger.

I feel like we have a good group of guys who want to go in the right direction who want to be coached, and that's the bottom line." meaning we have a lot to get done and our guys are ready and 100% behind the coach and will do whatever they say to get things fixed.

If the "our coaches suck and that's the only explanation" bug wasn't so incredibly f-cked out on this board, then I'd say you weren't overreaching. But you are.

I'm not sure if you guys simplify things so your simple minds have an easier time understanding what's going on, but it's not as simple as playcalling, it's not as simple as OLine talent, it's not as simple as "looking downfield," it's not as simple as route running, it's not as simple as press conferences, and it's certainly not as simple as WHAT YOU SEE DURING PRESEASON!

So let's go through them one by one:

Playcalling: Are we running the no-huddle this year? Yes. Does that put more responsibility on Trenpidation? Yes. Do all of you have seats at the game that give you a view ample enough to know just which routes are being run when? No. Do the ones who CAN see the plays develop report that NOBODY runs routes down field? They don't. Do we have receivers not named T.O. who has demonstrated efficiency running the slant route? May be, but in his 2+ seasons with The Bills Trenpidation doesn't always hit that throw like he should, so the "we need more slant routes" seems to be an over-simplified "solution" too. How's our run attack looked so far? Not good? Well, that certainly rules out the efficacy of Play Action, right? So, with all these things in mind, it's hard to say "play calling is the problem," right? Okay.

OLine Talent: Anybody else watch Big Ben out there Sunday? If you did, you wouldn't be so much blaming our pass rush as you'd be giving him kudos for literally being IMPOSSIBLE to sack. The guy shifts, squirms, breakouts, scrambles, and even when he's got a DLineman draped across his shoulders, he can still make a 15 yard throw, on a line. It's amazing what his talents can do for the offensive line. For the last 6 years beating the Bills was as simple as blitz blitz blitz because we haven't had a QB who can handle it. Face it, we get blitzed far more often than the "competitive teams." This isn't a reflection on the OLine, well it is, but it's not that simple. Until we have a QB who can stare into the teeth of a blitz, slide and hit his receiver 7 yards into the open field, teams are going to bring it. Especially 3-4 teams who can hide their LB coverages. If T.O. is going to provide one saving grace this year, it'll be enabling this type of relief. You stop blitzing when you get burned. Until we have a QB/WR/TE/RB prove they're capable of doing that, we're going to get blitzed, a lot, and folks are going to simplify the matter and say, "it's because our OLine sucks." Again, it's not that simple. Next.

Looking Downfield: It's not just that he won't throw the deep ball, because he won't, but Trenpidation won't throw to ANYONE who's even remotely covered. That's the problem. If he's got a guy in single coverage down the sideline, his receiver better have three steps on the defender, otherwise, in Trenpidation's world, he's not open. Again, if you the chance to re-watch Ben, notice how many times he throws into tight single coverage and let's his receivers make a play. If T.O. is going to bark at Trenpidation this season, it'll be over this. Being the same age as Trenpidation, and observing him here or there, I'm not confident he's un-cocky enough to take this type of criticism. But, he needs to get over it, fast. Guys in the NFL don't get "open" the way they do in college and he needs to adjust...NOW.

Route Running: Without T.O. in the lineup we do not, repeat do NOT have a 1 and 2 receiver. Evans falls somewhere between 1 and 2 and after him we don't have a 2. So, what do you expect from an offense who has a 1.5 and 3 receiver as its main passing targets. Route Running goes hand in hand with the issues raised in "OLine Talent," and we don't have guys who get open. Getting open is a complicated thing. It's not as simple as quickness or precision, sometimes it takes some brains too. Reed seems to have the latter, though he lacks the former(s). All our other guys are too young and inexperienced, and Evans, for whatever reason, is a non-entity in short yardage situations (hence the fact that he's no #1). We need a guy who can get open, in space. T.O. should be that guy, and if you want to see "throws downfield" then he needs to be getting open in short yardage situations while the defense is blitzing. It's these types of routes we simply don't see, the improvised ones. And when you have guys who have to improvise to be successful, when that certainly doesn't simplify matters.

Press Conferences: Oh my God, this issue some fans take infuriates me more than any other. Can we stop pretending to know what goes on behind closed doors by making assumptions based on what a highly paid representative of a private corporate entity says into a microphone? Trenpidation has some growing up to do. You refer to it as "calling out his coaches" I call it finding any way shape or form to dodge the issue without accepting the blame. Jauron doesn't talk smack publicly. To some this is a sign of weakness, to me it's a sign of respect. And a good leader RESPECTS those who follow him (to answer another ludicrous question asked in a different thread).

Preseason: Folks, see: Marv Levy's preseason record. Yes, we've gotten kicked around a little bit, but we've also got a five game preseason schedule, and it's quite possible that these guys, coaches included, are just phoning these in, getting their reps. What kills me is that the same people up in arms about this year's preseason failures were the same ones diminishing last year's successes. T.O. is the best player on our team. That's right, I said it. He's certainly the best player on our offense, and until he's in the lineup for an entire game (that matters), CHILL THE F-CK OUT!

If you're a hammer, then everything looks like a nail. If you want to simplify our problems into nice little compartments, you're adopting a very very narrow view of everything going on, and you can twist and turn whatever microcosm of reality you're dwelling on to fit the opinion you want to express. There are a lot of pieces floating in the ether right now at OBD and a lot of that has to do with how young and newly assembled our roster is (only 8 players left from 2005, 1 P, 1 K, 3 WR, 3 DE). If you really think that starting over now would be the best alternative, then I hope you don't have high expectations for the next few years.

Big Cat, out.

Maybe this has been posted, but this is from Fannation (sorry, forgot to provide the link)

"The Buffalo Bills had better start fast on offense this year because, from what I hear, the patience level is not very high for offensive coordinator Turk Schonert. Shut out in the first half in Pittsburgh and totaling four first downs going into the fourth quarter is not going to make people feel confident about the offense."

He'll be the first to go. When will they realize that top NFL coaches require top dollar?

In reference to Edward's quotes, I agree that this has the forebodings of a dilemma. If the Bills are 0-3 going into the 4th week, and that is not so far fetched of an idea, you are going to see and hear from a team who wants a new coach.

What I find interesting is that if you look at Jauron's quotes, he is kind of calling out the offense, specifically the QB.

This back and forth cannot end well.

It is what it is: Preseason

Theres no proof that the bills have even prepared a gameplan for any of these games. Sure I'm a bit worried like the rest of you guys, but lets be realistic here...Edwards completed 65.5% of his passes last year with Josh Reed and Roscoe Parrish as his #2 Wr's and robert royal as his tight end. Our team has improved, maybe with less experience, but thats why they play these preseason games.

ITS PRESEASON FOR A REASON GUYS!