'Cash for Refrigerators' Program???

Magox

It looks like there will be a 'Cash for Refrigerators' Program.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/bw/20090824/bs_bw/...b20090821304909

$300 million cash-for-clunkers-type federal program to boost sales of energy-efficient home appliances provides a glimmer of hope for beleaguered makers of washing machines and dishwashers, but it's probably not enough to lift companies such as Whirlpool (NYSE:WHR - News) and Electrolux out of the worst down cycle in the sector's history.

Beginning late this fall, the program authorizes rebates of $50 to $200 for purchases of high-efficiency household appliances. The money is part of the broader economic stimulus bill passed earlier this year. Program details will vary by state, and the Energy Dept. has set a deadline of Oct. 15 for states to file formal applications. The Energy Dept. expects the bulk of the $300 million to be awarded by the end of November. (Unlike the clunkers auto program, consumers won't have to trade in their old appliances.)

I wonder if there was any lobbying for the home appliance industry recently?

When I lived in Rochester I got cash for ditching my old dryer.

HERE is the program I'm advocating:

Democrats, realizing the huge success of the President's "Cash For Clunkers" rebate program, have revamped a major portion of their National Health Care Plan.

President Obama, Speaker Pelosi, and Sen. Reid are expected to make this major announcement at a joint news conference later this week. I have obtained a advanced copy of the proposal which is named....

CASH FOR CODGERS and it works like this... Couples wishing to access health care funds in order to pay for the delivery of a child will be required to turn in one old person for each child they conceive. The amount the government grants them will be fixed according to a sliding scale. Older and more prescription dependent codgers will garner the highest amounts, while younger healthier codgers will earn them less.

Special "Bonus Money" will be paid for those submitting codgers in targeted groups such as; smokers, beer/ alcohol drinkers, persons 10 pounds over their government prescribed weight, and any member of the Republican Party.

Smaller bonuses will be given for codgers who eat/drink; beef, soda, fried foods, tater chips, lattes ,whole milk, dairy products, bacon, Brussel sprouts, Carvel or Girl Scout Cookies.

All codgers will be immediately rendered totally useless via toxic injection upon submission to the plan. This will insure that they are not secretly resold/reused or that their body parts be harvested to keep other codgers in decent repair

When I lived in Rochester I got cash for ditching my old dryer.

HERE is the program I'm advocating:

Democrats, realizing the huge success of the President's "Cash For Clunkers" rebate program, have revamped a major portion of their National Health Care Plan.

President Obama, Speaker Pelosi, and Sen. Reid are expected to make this major announcement at a joint news conference later this week. I have obtained a advanced copy of the proposal which is named....

CASH FOR CODGERS and it works like this... Couples wishing to access health care funds in order to pay for the delivery of a child will be required to turn in one old person for each child they conceive. The amount the government grants them will be fixed according to a sliding scale. Older and more prescription dependent codgers will garner the highest amounts, while younger healthier codgers will earn them less.

Special "Bonus Money" will be paid for those submitting codgers in targeted groups such as; smokers, beer/ alcohol drinkers, persons 10 pounds over their government prescribed weight, and any member of the Republican Party.

Smaller bonuses will be given for codgers who eat/drink; beef, soda, fried foods, tater chips, lattes ,whole milk, dairy products, bacon, Brussel sprouts, Carvel or Girl Scout Cookies.

All codgers will be immediately rendered totally useless via toxic injection upon submission to the plan. This will insure that they are not secretly resold/reused or that their body parts be harvested to keep other codgers in decent repair

You should hold out until they run a "Bucks For Bitterness" campaign

You'd cash in

You should hold out until they run a "Bucks For Bitterness" campaign

You'd cash in

And you would take top spot in Dollars for Dumbasses.

I thought that codgers thing was pretty funny...except I'm sure it'll spread around via the web and there are people (or should I say dumbasses) who will take it SERIOUSLY when it was just a joke. :thumbsup:

I thought that codgers thing was pretty funny...except I'm sure it'll spread around via the web and there are people (or should I say dumbasses) who will take it SERIOUSLY when it was just a joke. :thumbsup:

I'm sure we will find it spreading around via the web, I don't believe anyone here with a sound mind really believes that you could come up with an original thought.

:unsure: nice comeback :thumbsup:

I thought that codgers thing was pretty funny...except I'm sure it'll spread around via the web and there are people (or should I say dumbasses) who will take it SERIOUSLY when it was just a joke. :devil:

yeah there's plenty of dumbasses out there who have trouble spotting a joke...

I'm sure we will find it spreading around via the web, I don't believe anyone here with a sound mind really believes that you could come up with an original thought.

Never said I wrote it. Don't know who did. But it's pretty damned funny. I should have used quotes and legal disclaimers because obviously SOME PEOPLE took it seriously. Not surprising.

Never said I wrote it. Don't know who did. But it's pretty damned funny. I should have used quotes and legal disclaimers because obviously SOME PEOPLE took it seriously. Not surprising.

I don't think anyone took Cash for Codgers seriously. As a matter of fact I don't think anyone has taken any of your post seriously. :)

I advocated an appliance program a couple week's ago. I just wish it included stoves, but for some reason they don't fall under the EnergyStar program. Someone told me an appliance has to use water in some way to be in the program. Our fridge and stove are over 15 years old and on their last legs, but we've been holding off since I'm unemployed. But we'll make the purchase if we can get a rebate.

I advocated an appliance program a couple week's ago. I just wish it included stoves, but for some reason they don't fall under the EnergyStar program. Someone told me an appliance has to use water in some way to be in the program. Our fridge and stove are over 15 years old and on their last legs, but we've been holding off since I'm unemployed. But we'll make the purchase if we can get a rebate.

So let me get this straight. You're only going to get new appliances if I subsidize your purchase?? Do you see how !@#$ed up this whole thing is?

So let me get this straight. You're only going to get new appliances if I subsidize your purchase?? Do you see how !@#$ed up this whole thing is?

No, he might get new appliances regardless. But he thinks it would be a good idea if you bought them for him instead.

Hell, so do I. If you bought me a new fridge, I wouldn't mind. I don't think I'm entitled to having the government force you to, though.

I'm just getting some of the taxes I paid for the past 25 years back to help me out when I need it. We were planning on getting new appliances and a new driveway when I got laid off. If not for the layoff, we would have already bought those things. I wouldn't begrudge anyone else, including you, of using my tax money to help out if you needed it. And I've never belonged to a union, I've always been a salaried employee.

I'm just getting some of the taxes I paid for the past 25 years back to help me out when I need it. We were planning on getting new appliances and a new driveway when I got laid off. If not for the layoff, we would have already bought those things. I wouldn't begrudge anyone else, including you, of using my tax money to help out if you needed it. And I've never belonged to a union, I've always been a salaried employee.

If I needed it? If I !@#$ing needed it?? We're talking a goddamn regrigerator here not life sustaining assistance. :o And getting some of your taxes back you've paid over the years? HA! That's a good one coming from you. Why not reduce the amount of taxes that we're forced to pay and put some of it aside to tide you over while you're unemployed.

If I needed it? If I !@#$ing needed it?? We're talking a goddamn regrigerator here not life sustaining assistance. :o And getting some of your taxes back you've paid over the years? HA! That's a good one coming from you. Why not reduce the amount of taxes that we're forced to pay and put some of it aside to tide you over while you're unemployed.

Because I'm not a tight-fisted, hard-hearted bastard who's unwilling to pay taxes and allow it to be used to help those who are having a tough time. When I have it, I'm happy to contribute because I know someday I might need assistance, and I know what it's like to lose a job when the economy tanks like it did last year. And I don't know what a regrigerator is so I don't want one anyways.

Because I'm not a tight-fisted, hard-hearted bastard who's unwilling to pay taxes and allow it to be used to help those who are having a tough time. When I have it, I'm happy to contribute because I know someday I might need assistance, and I know what it's like to lose a job when the economy tanks like it did last year. And I don't know what a regrigerator is so I don't want one anyways.

I'm a hard hearted bastard because I don't want to help subsidize someone to buy a refrigerator? I actually sound like someone who's smart with his money. Need help with food, shelter, clothing..you know necessities, I'm all for it as long as you're actively looking for work. But a refrigerator? You can't be serious. How about a big screen TV, you "need" one of those? :o

Most people are happy to contribute. It's just that some of us prefer to do it on our own and not be made to do it.

I'm a hard hearted bastard because I don't want to help subsidize someone to buy a refrigerator? I actually sound like someone who's smart with his money. Need help with food, shelter, clothing..you know necessities, I'm all for it as long as you're actively looking for work. But a refrigerator? You can't be serious. How about a big screen TV, you "need" one of those? :lol:

You miss the big picture. If I buy a refrig because of a rebate that I wouldn't otherwise buy, it's stimulating the business, reducing inventory, and hopefully if enough people do it, could lead to retention or creation of jobs in the industry, thus helping the economy, and hopefully creating a job opportunity for me, so I can again pay taxes, which I'd gladly do. I'm still paying the majority of the cost of the refrig, but every bit helps make the decision easier. It's priming the economic engine. And since most if not all TVs are made overseas, that type of program wouldn't help our manufacturing base.

You miss the big picture. If I buy a refrig because of a rebate that I wouldn't otherwise buy, it's stimulating the business, reducing inventory, and hopefully if enough people do it, could lead to retention or creation of jobs in the industry, thus helping the economy, and hopefully creating a job opportunity for me, so I can pay again pay taxes. I'm still paying the majority of the cost of the refrig, but every bit helps make the decision easier. It's priming the economic engine. And since most if not all TVs are made overseas, that type of program wouldn't help our manufacturing base.

Actually, it's you who is missing the big picture - but that's par for the course.

Thanks for repeating the current tard mantra of "priming the economic engine", though.

You miss the big picture. If I buy a refrig because of a rebate that I wouldn't otherwise buy, it's stimulating the business, reducing inventory, and hopefully if enough people do it, could lead to retention or creation of jobs in the industry, thus helping the economy, and hopefully creating a job opportunity for me, so I can again pay taxes, which I'd gladly do. I'm still paying the majority of the cost of the refrig, but every bit helps make the decision easier. It's priming the economic engine. And since most if not all TVs are made overseas, that type of program wouldn't help our manufacturing base.

I'm so glad you'll be glad to once again pay taxes, because where the hell do you think that "rebate" is coming from? You're not "saving or creating" anything but a slight delay to what would be coming any way. And in the meantime, our deficit keeps getting deeper and deeper for all the wrong reasons, like a bunch of people buying appliances they may not need or may not be able to afford. How are you not understanding the absolute lunacy of this concept?

You're not looking at the big picture. You're looking at a nail on the frame that's surrounding it.

You really think that me helping you buy this is going to help stimulate the economy? If you need my help buying that who the !@#$ is paying your mortgage?

Are you kidding? You're okay with giving your money to the government, because they in their kindness might give you a small portion of it back to buy something you don't need later on?

Wouldn't it be better to just pay less taxes, save your money, and fix your damned fridge? :lol:

Are you kidding? You're okay with giving your money to the government, because they in their kindness might give you a small portion of it back to buy something you don't need later on?

Wouldn't it be better to just pay less taxes, save your money, and fix your damned fridge? :lol:

No because the government knows better. See the government is like a huge savings plan. If you give them money they'll hold on to it until you're in financial trouble and then they'll give it back to you to help you out. It's kind of like people who get those big tax refunds and call it a forced savings plan. :lol:

No, I think he's saying that it's important for the government to help people when they're down, and when people are down, nothing makes them feel better like a new fridge.

No silly, the government knows how to manage your money better than you do :lol: