Would two more weeks of practice helped Maybin?

VJ91

On August 11, I posted a new topic with the following prediction:

"It took me less then 5 minutes to come up with Maybins' contract: 5 YEARS, 25 MILLION, WITH 15 MILLION GUARANTEED."....

Almost two long, wasteful, stupid, unnceccesary weeks later, here is the actual contract deal Maybin signed for:

..."Maybin and the Bills finally agreed Friday on a five-year deal worth a maximum of $25 million with more than $14 million guaranteed, according to NFL sources."....

That 5 minutes of research I did back on the 11th was from the most recent signings of the players just above and below Maybin. Can a smarter person then me please tell me what the hell Maybin and his agent thought they would gain by waiting two more weeks to sign that obvious deal with the Bills?? :huh:;)

Maybe the Fo wasn't ready to give 25/14 for 5?

Excellent point. And if that was the case, the the Inner Circle-Jerks should find different jobs, for not convincing Wilson that the amount of money needed to sign Maybin was obvious as soon as the players above him and below him signed. (Except of course for Crabtree and his agent, who live in another demension of time and space we humans cannot understand.) But other then Crabtree and his agent, who seem to be under the immpression that he was drafted number 5 instead of number 10 in April's draft, the other players were nicely slotted for anyone with a calculator to figure out what to pay Mr. Maybin.

Here's hoping the kid is the real deal and has 3 outstanding weeks of practice so he can put some pressure on Brady a few times during that MNF opener!! :huh:

Can a smarter person then me please tell me what the hell Maybin and his agent thought they would gain by waiting two more weeks to sign that obvious deal with the Bills?? :huh:;)

Sure, I'll do it. It wasn't that Maybin was holding out for more money. It was reported that the delay was do to Maybin's agent Making Vick's contract negotiations his #1 priority and therefore having no time for Maybin. If it were me, I would have fired my agent...

Would two more weeks of practice helped Maybin?

No, not with our coaching staff. Him being absent for those two weeks may have saved him many valuable football traits otherwise eradicated from his repertoire by our pop-warner level coaching.

I think it was a combination of things that were somewhat unique to both sides. And in each case, I think both sides voluntarily tried to venture from the typical rookie slotting...

1. From the Bills perspective, they also had the #11 overall pick in the draft last season. They knew what they paid McKelvin, and Maybin was probably no more highly rated this year than McKelvin was last year. In fact, Modrak said many times last season that he did not expect McKelvin to be available at #11. Hence, I suspect that the front office had a difficult time (especially in this economy) justifying more than a 5-10% increase over last year's contract numbers.

2. The Crabtree situation gave the Maybin camp a reason to cool their heels. With Crabtree likely to wind up with a contract that is greater than his slotted draft position, Maybin's agent was content to wait it out and see if that may help is client's ceiling price.

In the end both sizes agreed on what should have been the fair, slotted price range to begin with. A pity that this cost Maybin weeks of valuable preparation time.

Sure, I'll do it. It wasn't that Maybin was holding out for more money. It was reported that the delay was do to Maybin's agent Making Vick's contract negotiations his #1 priority and therefore having no time for Maybin. If it were me, I would have fired my agent...

Absolutely no one believes this goofy story.

Why not?

How is it that there are so many here who are quick to blame the FO when the Bills have a solid history of signing their picks.

Because some of us KNOW better. It's that simple. Of course the FO had NO idea how to frame a deal for Maybin WEEKS ago. And it has NOTHING to do with the fact that IF Crabtree signed an inflated contract it WOULD have affected the numbers Maybin agreed to.

Just be grateful the FO circle jerks read this forum. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to tap into the vast knowledge we all possess.

GO BILLS!!!

Because some of us KNOW better. It's that simple. Of course the FO had NO idea how to frame a deal for Maybin WEEKS ago. And it has NOTHING to do with the fact that IF Crabtree signed an inflated contract it WOULD have affected the numbers Maybin agreed to.

Just be grateful the FO circle jerks read this forum. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to tap into the vast knowledge we all possess.

GO BILLS!!!

And you know better why?

How do you explain the Bills history with signing their picks?

Seeing as how the Bills apparently haven't been practicing to actually play against any of our opponents, I'm not sure he missed all that much.

:lol:

Waitaminute...

:rolleyes:

hes in the mold of derrick thomas, he is going to be used strictly as a 2nd and long 3rd and long speed rusher off the edge this year, which is exactly what we needed. there isnt much he needs to learn this year except for hand technique, thats about it. in 3 weeks he should be fine. im sure u will see him get some pressures this week against pittsburgh, hes to fast and athletic not to generate pressure on the corner....