How bad are the holes...

Coach55

Something I have been thinking about for a while is if you analyze the Bills this year, they have some weaknesses, but no glaring holes. Most teams have massive problems at least on one side of the ball. If you think of our weaknesses, how bad are they really?

- Keith Ellison - not the greatest LB, but he is a 3-yr starter. He is clearly the weakest position, but he has plenty of experience. Throw in the fact that Nic Harris is looking pretty good and Ellison will come out in Nickel situations means our exposure is minimal.

- Offensive Line - Through 2 games, looked pretty good. I am more concerned with the Pass blocking than the run blocking as Edwards can't be left for dead, or we're screwed. This is still a big question mark, but given the nature of the offense and Turk putting TE into more 3 step drops, we should be okay at worst here.

- Lack of Pass Rush - Schobel is back and Maybin is finally in camp. This should not be a problem this year.

- Kyle Williams - People all wanted to bring in Henderson, but is KW really that bad? IMO he is fairly productive. Will he ever be an All-Pro, probably not, but would he start on at least half the teams in this league - probably.

- Red Zone Offense - Add 6'2" Terrell Owens and 6'5" Shawn Nelson, problem should be solved.

- Tight Ends - Robert Royal is no longer on the team, will be an improvement no matter who is slotted in. This position could have some surprising results given the rest of the weapons on offense.

- Coaching - DJ has historically been a bad game day coach, but I think he may have learned from his mistakes. Throw in the fact that they are opening up the offense to utilize our weapons, we again may be pleasantly surprised this year.

Bottom line - we do have weaknesses as does every team. But quite honestly, I don't think we have the glaring holes that other teams have (even the Cheats* have an extremely weak secondary) and as bad as our weaknesses are, they aren't really that bad. Keep this team healthy and I expect some serious fireworks this year...

Before Schobel hurt his foot he had 1 sack in five games a pace of 3.2 sack season, the year before he had a mediocre 6.5 sacks - now coming off injury and another year older exactly what do you expect from Schobel- his pass rush is talent is very diminished, he has always be a liability when rushed at, about all that's left is the occasional play chasing from the backside.

Kyle Williams is ok which is better than sucks but not as good as one would like- the only problem I'd have picking up Henderson is what does the guy got left? I saw him play last year and thought he was way slower than I remember- maybe just a bad game and the guy is still huge but I wouldn't give up too much for him.

Something I have been thinking about for a while is if you analyze the Bills this year, they have some weaknesses, but no glaring holes. Most teams have massive problems at least on one side of the ball. If you think of our weaknesses, how bad are they really?

- Keith Ellison - not the greatest LB, but he is a 3-yr starter. He is clearly the weakest position, but he has plenty of experience. Throw in the fact that Nic Harris is looking pretty good and Ellison will come out in Nickel situations means our exposure is minimal.

- Offensive Line - Through 2 games, looked pretty good. I am more concerned with the Pass blocking than the run blocking as Edwards can't be left for dead, or we're screwed. This is still a big question mark, but given the nature of the offense and Turk putting TE into more 3 step drops, we should be okay at worst here.

- Lack of Pass Rush - Schobel is back and Maybin is finally in camp. This should not be a problem this year.

- Kyle Williams - People all wanted to bring in Henderson, but is KW really that bad? IMO he is fairly productive. Will he ever be an All-Pro, probably not, but would he start on at least half the teams in this league - probably.

- Red Zone Offense - Add 6'2" Terrell Owens and 6'5" Shawn Nelson, problem should be solved.

- Tight Ends - Robert Royal is no longer on the team, will be an improvement no matter who is slotted in. This position could have some surprising results given the rest of the weapons on offense.

- Coaching - DJ has historically been a bad game day coach, but I think he may have learned from his mistakes. Throw in the fact that they are opening up the offense to utilize our weapons, we again may be pleasantly surprised this year.

Bottom line - we do have weaknesses as does every team. But quite honestly, I don't think we have the glaring holes that other teams have (even the Cheats* have an extremely weak secondary) and as bad as our weaknesses are, they aren't really that bad. Keep this team healthy and I expect some serious fireworks this year...

In my opinion offensive line is moderate weakness. Red Zone offense and coaching are a major weakness until they prove otherwise in the regular season. Pre-season games feature mostly vanilla defenses and play calling. At least the line has done ok in this setting. Red zone offense still seems pretty bad. Seems like our 1st teamers still can't punch it in from inside the 20 and the play calling down there still seems somewhat inept. I still think DJ has a role in the play call selection once they get inside the 20. Two different offensive coordinators, same exact type of playcalls down there. Oh well, JMO.

I think our O line will take time to gel.....but I believe or real problems are 1)at D front 7-where we have 2 slightly above average LBs and one standout D tackle and Maybin..the rest is mediocrity until proven otherwise.-AND 2)Jauron.

In my opinion offensive line is moderate weakness. Red Zone offense and coaching are a major weakness until they prove otherwise in the regular season. Pre-season games feature mostly vanilla defenses and play calling. At least the line has done ok in this setting. Red zone offense still seems pretty bad. Seems like our 1st teamers still can't punch it in from inside the 20 and the play calling down there still seems somewhat inept. I still think DJ has a role in the play call selection once they get inside the 20. Two different offensive coordinators, same exact type of playcalls down there. Oh well, JMO.

I have to agree here. Watching them call a run play on 3rd and 10+ in the redzone left me with a sickening feeling that nothing has changed. We were in field goal range even if we had taken a sack.

Guest dog14787
Before Schobel hurt his foot he had 1 sack in five games a pace of 3.2 sack season, the year before he had a mediocre 6.5 sacks - now coming off injury and another year older exactly what do you expect from Schobel- his pass rush is talent is very diminished, he has always be a liability when rushed at, about all that's left is the occasional play chasing from the backside.

Kyle Williams is ok which is better than sucks but not as good as one would like- the only problem I'd have picking up Henderson is what does the guy got left? I saw him play last year and thought he was way slower than I remember- maybe just a bad game and the guy is still huge but I wouldn't give up too much for him.

O-line has to be a question mark for now, especially depth.

Pass rush has been a problem no doubt about it, but before Schobel hurt his foot he also led the National Football League in tackles by all Defensive lineman. TE's concussion is a big reason Buffalo struggled in the 2nd half of the season last year, but losing Aaron Schobel was just as big in my opinion.

Now with the addition of Aaron Maybin whom I'm delighted to have with us now, I'm expecting a much better pass rush and big, big play from our defense as a whole.

Lots of sacks, interceptions and forced fumbles, Yup, I like our Defense allot. This is a good football team we are putting on the field this season. :P

I billieve...

- Coaching - DJ has historically been a bad game day coach, but I think he may have learned from his mistakes.

I'm curious, after 8 seasons (7 losing and a combined 7-9 career record), what makes you think that DJ "may have learned from his mistakes"?

Something I have been thinking about for a while is if you analyze the Bills this year, they have some weaknesses, but no glaring holes. Most teams have massive problems at least on one side of the ball. If you think of our weaknesses, how bad are they really?...

I guess one way of looking the holes is, are they so insignificant that the Bills go 19-0, or are they significant enough to result in another 7-9.

I think they may keep us 3rd in the Division (maybe last again).

O-line has to be a question mark, especially depth.

Pass rush has been a problem no doubt about it, but before Schobel hurt his foot he also led the National Football League in tackles by all Defensive lineman. TE's concussion is a big reason Buffalo struggled in the 2nd half of the season last year, but losing Aaron Schobel was just as big in my opinion.

Now with the addition of Aaron Maybin whom I'm delighted to have with us now, I'm expecting a much better pass rush and big, big play from our defense as a whole.

Lots of sacks, interceptions and forced fumbles, Yup, I like our Defense allot. This is a good football team we are putting on the field this season. :P

I billieve...

he and the bills were also good in tackles behind the LOS. don't bother bringing up facts tho, the self loathers on here will always say aaron and any long time bill sucks and were never good.

I'm curious, after 8 seasons (7 losing and a combined 7-9 career record), what makes you think that DJ "may have learned from his mistakes"?

I agree totally, he is a conservative play caller and changing to a no huddle does not mean more creative play calling it just means conservative plays are called at the line. Outside of his play calling DJ will cost us at least two games with his game day coaching misuse of timeouts and red flags & generally not knowing what to do when time is running down and the game is on the line.

I am okay with the Bills Oline for pass blocking. I have not seen anything that makes me think run blocking will be any different than it was the first 4 or five games of last year. Once Peters came back and got some rust off the running game improved by the 5th game or so.

O-line has to be a question mark for now, especially depth.

I billieve...

before the foot injury Schobel was on pace for 61 tackles and 3.2 sacks - Denney had 58 tackles and 4 sacks, my mistake we have two studs

Well, here is my whole thing...I think the Bills have enough physical talent/ability, whatever you want to call it on this team to be a playoff team at the end of the year. I have no faith in the coaches to get them to play up to this ability, make them play better than their ability, or even put these guys in a position to win more than they lose. Lets face it, the Bills don't usually get blown out when they lose. Even against most good teams, they are in the game until fairly late, when the coaches end up making decisions or putting the players in bad situations where their chance of failing is much higher than their chance of succeeding. In fact, it happens almost every game, and the Bills still sometimes wins in spite of this. Why is it every game that the last 2 minutes seem to be nail biters? Why is it the Bills always seem to play not to lose or to keep it close, rather than to win?

Here is the way I see it. If you took the Bills players and took the New England coaching staff, this would be a playoff team. If you took the Patriots players and the Bills coaching staff, they would miss the playoffs. Bottom line is this team has enough talent as it is right now, with the right coaching staff to make the playoffs. Are they talented enough to be a super bowl winner? Probably not, but I have no doubts Bellichick could get a lot more out of this team than Jauron is...

Did the Dolphins really get 10 wins better than the previous year by making a few personnel changes? No---they got the right person evaluating personnel and the right people coaching the team and not allowing the players to accept losing...If the Dolphins can win the division and make the playoffs with what I feel was a less talented overall team than what the Bills had last year, let alone this year, there is no question they have the talent to win...

Guest dog14787
before the foot injury Schobel was on pace for 61 tackles and 3.2 sacks - Denney had 58 tackles and 4 sacks, my mistake we have two studs

Denny had 18 assist to makeup his 58 tackles (40 solo), Schobel at the pace he was going would have had 54 solo tackles.