Could 32 Year Old Ryan Denney Get Cut ?

Kenwick

Could Youth be served this year ? Could the Bills keep DE Copeland Byran and DE Chris Ellis as the two backups to Kelsay and Schobel??? ... Both Byran & Ellis are playing well right now. If they continue to do so, I can see the Bills keeping both players...

Maybin will not be ready, if he continues to hold out.

I see the Bills having 25 players on defense. 10 in the secondary with 6 CBs and 2 SS and 2 FS.

I see 4 DTs & 4 DEs. 7 LBs... Ellison, Posluszny, Mitchell, Harris, Thomas, Buggs & Maybin as a DE/LB.

It could happen that Denney is odd man out....

Could Youth be served this year ? Could the Bills keep DE Copeland Byran and DE Chris Ellis as the two backups to Kelsay and Schobel??? ... Both Byran & Ellis are playing well right now. If they continue to do so, I can see the Bills keeping both players...

Maybin will not be ready, if he continues to hold out.

I see the Bills having 25 players on defense. 10 in the secondary with 6 CBs and 2 SS and 2 FS.

I see 4 DTs & 4 DEs. 7 LBs... Ellison, Posluszny, Mitchell, Harris, Thomas, Buggs & Maybin as a DE/LB.

It could happen that Denney is odd man out....

He would probably go to the Ravens and perform admirably, like Bannan and Leonhard did. I think they will keep either an extra FS or an extra SS, maybe somebody that can backup at both spots.

I also wish that Lydell Sargeant had a shot at making the team. I think he is a baller and with time, could turn into a solid cornerback. I heard that he makes up for his speed with his athleticism and strength, and he is a decent tackler. Not to mention, he is a PSU alum and I am a major homer. But, I think it would be wise to build this defense around such players as Poz, Maybin and Sargeant...all whom were teammates on a Joe Paterno led football squad.

You know this year more than any in the Jauron era, I think there will be surprise cuts. There was a thread earlier on this subject that could be resurrected.

Regardless I just don't see Ryan Denney getting cut (been wrong before, will be wrong again of course). In my book he's a much better player than Chris Kelsay. He's better against the run and also as a pass rusher. When he can't get to the quarterback he's very good at getting into the passing lanes with his length.

I know that Ellis finally showed some flashes against Chicago and I think Copeland Bryan is a developing talent with natural pass rushing skills. I have Bryan ahead of Ellis but I don't think either of them will get cut. So there is a logjam at this position with Schobel a lock, and Maybin (hopefully) waiting in the wings. The Bills might be able to defer a decision at DE if Maybin reports real late and they get a roster exemption for him. And of course there's always the possibility of an injury at any position.

I would say this: Do not forget that the Bills tried moving Kelsay this offseason. He might still be trade bait, especially for a team suffering injuries at defensive end. If I were the GM, Kelsay would be the odd man out, even though I love his attitude and humble, team-oriented approach.

You know this year more than any in the Jauron era, I think there will be surprise cuts. There was a thread earlier on this subject that could be resurrected.

Regardless I just don't see Ryan Denney getting cut (been wrong before, will be wrong again of course). In my book he's a much better player than Chris Kelsay. He's better against the run and also as a pass rusher. When he can't get to the quarterback he's very good at getting into the passing lanes with his length.

I know that Ellis finally showed some flashes against Chicago and I think Copeland Bryan is a developing talent with natural pass rushing skills. I have Bryan ahead of Ellis but I don't think either of them will get cut. So there is a logjam at this position with Schobel a lock, and Maybin (hopefully) waiting in the wings. The Bills might be able to defer a decision at DE if Maybin reports real late and they get a roster exemption for him. And of course there's always the possibility of an injury at any position.

I would say this: Do not forget that the Bills tried moving Kelsay this offseason. He might still be trade bait, especially for a team suffering injuries at defensive end. If I were the GM, Kelsay would be the odd man out, even though I love his attitude and humble, team-oriented approach.

I think this is a good question...

Is Bryan a better player than Kelsey??? He looks like a better pass rusher for sure. The jury is still out against his play against the run. Maybe Kelsey is stronger at the point of attack. But to me if you lose Kelsey and keep Denney you get the same player in return, good run stopper, weak pass rushers.

If Maybin can play the run as well as the pass next year both Kelsey and Denney are gone.

DEs for this year I think are Kelsey, Schobel , Bryan, Denney Maybin

Both Ellis and Denney are on the bubble , could go either way.

I'd rather get rid of Kelsay and his 23 million dollar contract

Denney is very good against the run and knows how to use his size to his advantage. He bats a lot of passes down at the line with 6'7" frame.

I would try to move Kelsay at all costs. I don't think that is likely to happen if Maybin isn't in camp/under contract.

Add me as a Denney supporter. If any DE is cut or traded it should be Kelsey.

He would probably go to the Ravens and perform admirably, like Bannan and Leonhard did. I think they will keep either an extra FS or an extra SS, maybe somebody that can backup at both spots.

I also wish that Lydell Sargeant had a shot at making the team. I think he is a baller and with time, could turn into a solid cornerback. I heard that he makes up for his speed with his athleticism and strength, and he is a decent tackler. Not to mention, he is a PSU alum and I am a major homer. But, I think it would be wise to build this defense around such players as Poz, Maybin and Sargeant...all whom were teammates on a Joe Paterno led football squad.

The reality is that there would be no noticeable difference between Schobel Kelsey and Denny and their backups. Frankly I would be inclined to cut all three.

IMO, Denney represents everything associated with routine 7-9 records (& 8-8, 9-7 etc.). Loves the game, plays hard, sturdy, keeps his nose clean, well compensated, and NOT VERY GOOD.

To see his name on the final cut list should send a thrill-chill up our spines that we have finally gotten better at a key defensive position. But, the Maybin Mayhem likely keeps him around another year.

The reality is that there would be no noticeable difference between Schobel Kelsey and Denny and their backups. Frankly I would be inclined to cut all three.

I think a year from now you will get what you want. Maybin whenever he signs will replace one. They will replace the other two with guys already on the roster, draft, or Free agency.

Is Schoebel a lock? I know he has a big contract but he just doesnt have it anymore. It appears he may have hit that magic brick wall. I wouldnt be surprised if he was let go.

Add me as a Denney supporter. If any DE is cut or traded it should be Kelsey.
Amen to that. Denney is a far more productive player than Kelsay has ever been, and at a reasonable price at that. He didn't look so good at RDE starting in place of Schobel, but is fine as a LDE backup.

Denney is very good against the run and knows how to use his size to his advantage. He bats a lot of passes down at the line with 6'7" frame.

I would try to move Kelsay at all costs. I don't think that is likely to happen if Maybin isn't in camp/under contract.

I think that this is the key. If Kelsay and Denney essentially provide the same thing, then cut the guy with the bigger salary. The Bills front office will be on board with this too.

All this being said, I think that Ellis will be the one to go. Just a hunch.

Except Kelsay has already earned about 16-17 of that 23 mil going into this season. He only makes 3 mil this year and 3.7 next year. So if you want to be correct, you might as well say "get rid of kelsay and that 6.7 million dollar contract."

whats the odds of Maybin holding out this year?...everyone is saying the reason he hasn't signed yet is due to Crabtree and if Crabtree fallows thru with his sit-out, will Maybin sit with him?...This is one of the biggest reasons that I don't get what Maybin's side is doing...do they really plan on sitting with Crabtree?..if not, then why not just sign now?...anyways, on to the topic...going by what I saw from the last pre-season game, I would like to see both Ellis and Bryan kept on the roster...If I had to chose from Kelsay or Denney getting the axe, it would be Kelsay...Kelsay rushes the passer ok, but he seems to rush right on by the passer more often than not...Don't get me wrong, I totally understand that sometimes pressure on a QB is just as good as an actual sack...Problem is is that the sacks are what get the QB worrying about the DE coming at them...If the QB knows the DE will be just running right by them, why worry?...I really would like to see Kelsay, Denney and Schobel being replaced one at a time in the next 3-4 seasons...replace Kelsay this year with Bryan or Ellis. then draft Denney's replacement in 2010 draft. then maybe Schobels as well in 2010 or 2011.

2009 DE's = Schobel, Denney, Maybin, Bryan, Ellis

2010 DE's = Schobel, Maybin, Bryan, Ellis, Hardy?

Denney is most likely not going anywhere. Now Kelsey is an average defensive end, could we trade him for an average offensive linemen? I like the idea of rotating Denney, maybin, ellis at the LE position. With or without Kelsay this position is going to be mediocre this year, Maybin my light it up here and there but he is a rookie and will be handled at times, but for this season it will be mediocre at best. Kelsey and Denney provide good depth at DE could either of them be exchanged for good offensive line depth?

I been unimpressed by Schobel's return, Kelsay is a backup talent level getting starters money, Denny is a backup level talent getting backup money of the three I'm keeping him- people seem to be waiting for Schobel to return to pre-foot level of play they seem to forget that level was sucks.

I agree I like Sargeant's nose for the ball. If he gets cut here he will get picked up. I also am a PSU homer and loved him as a Nittany Lion.