cold dose of reality re the Bills O-line

They've got a lot to prove...but we've known that for months.

And lets remember, one of the worst O-Lines in the NFL last year won a Superbowl.

And the Patriots, during their first SB win, projected to have a terrible O-Line that season.

And the Giants of the 2000 season were also said to have a young, inexperienced O-Line that would cost them a dozen wins...they won the SB that year too.

The Bills O-Line is the key to this season, no doubt about it...but preseason projections seem fairly useless.

They the Bills o-line was projected as poor the last 5 or 10 years and they were right

Watching the Giants line now. God they are awesome. Offensive and Defensive both. God, we suck.

Couldn't help but notice Jordan Gross give up a sack to Osi Umenyiora tonight 1 on 1. It's no coincidence that good teams have solid OL and DL, which CAR, NYG, and TEN among others have.

When teams go for the skill positions, they neglect the foundation of a pro football team. Parcells and Co. did select a CB in the first this year, but this came after using three top picks in 08 on linemen. You don't start rebuilding a franchise by taking WR, RB, LB, or DB. Those positions come later.

I think Walker and Butler will need all the help they can get. Butler's tendency to be injured is also a concern, as I'm not keen on seeing Kirk Chambers at length.

I didn't see LW get called for holding on every passing down. Officials allow holding as long as it isn't flagrant in the new NFL.

There is no holding unless an official calls it holding. I could find holding on every play that has been run in the NFL in it's history.

They've got a lot to prove...but we've known that for months.

And lets remember, one of the worst O-Lines in the NFL last year won a Superbowl.

And the Patriots, during their first SB win, projected to have a terrible O-Line that season.

And the Giants of the 2000 season were also said to have a young, inexperienced O-Line that would cost them a dozen wins...they won the SB that year too.

The Bills O-Line is the key to this season, no doubt about it...but preseason projections seem fairly useless.

The point you are missing is those teams had outstanding coaching.... I agree we should hold judgement but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to dominate....

The article is from July 30th, so it's a very early analysis. That being said, I would have ranked them near the bottom of the league knowing that no starter was returning to their previous position and 2 rookies were slated to start. He's not really going out on a limb as far as pre pre-season rankings go...

The Bills have someone else's backup as their center, a pair of rookies at guard, and mediocre players playing out of position at the tackle spots. So there's obviously plenty of room for criticism.

Long-term, I feel that Levitre and Wood will go on to have very solid careers; and that Hangartner will be a good player as well. However, it will probably be necessary to find replacements to our offensive tackles, starting with our LT.

ah yes, ranking things before you ever see them in action. guess thats one way to do it...

i mean, im not going to argue against his points. but to try to quantify where they are going to be in November, when he was writing this in JUNE, is a bit absurd. but it's the offseason.

i dont really think thats much of a "dose of reality" considering the "reality" part hasnt happened yet.

Yes, very similar to the college pre-season rankings that come out and then when a team get obliterated in week 1, they only move up or down a few spots...

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football...dk2k9olineranks

Dueling it out with Detroit for worst in the league (by a long stretch), if Scouts Inc. is to be believed ...

more like a cold dose of speculation...Walker was a perfectly fine right tackle, not sure where that comment comes from...funny how Peters can continue giving up sack after sack, yet is still considered a great LT...

Couldn't help but notice Jordan Gross give up a sack to Osi Umenyiora tonight 1 on 1. It's no coincidence that good teams have solid OL and DL, which CAR, NYG, and TEN among others have.

When teams go for the skill positions, they neglect the foundation of a pro football team. Parcells and Co. did select a CB in the first this year, but this came after using three top picks in 08 on linemen. You don't start rebuilding a franchise by taking WR, RB, LB, or DB. Those positions come later.

I think Walker and Butler will need all the help they can get. Butler's tendency to be injured is also a concern, as I'm not keen on seeing Kirk Chambers at length.

That bothers me too, I don't think you can count on Butler for 16 games.

Of course not Gerry, not if one has any objectivity at all. The Bills, despite playing in crazy elements, tend not to make the offensive line a priority. Instead, they focus on defensive backs. Levy did this for years and Jauron hit the ground running on this sure track to losing football games. This is beyond dispute.

This year was a tad different. WE DID take OGs in the first and second rounds. This is unheard of for this team. The bad news is that we let out left tackle walk, and now we have a fat RT in that slot.

Nothing in Buffalo will change until we build a team that is suited for the climate, and the blue collar community of WNY. This will have to include tackles on both sides of the football. The Bills are not tough enough, and will continue to lose until they are built to be blue collar, cold weather NFL Team.

Sorry my friend but Jauron = losing football games.

Jmo.

You should make this your sig, just to save time.

The ranking is about as useful as the weekly SI power rankings. It's nice to see where current perception lies, but things will change week to week. Unfortunately, I'd have to agree with the 30 Jul ranking...5 players at 5 new positions, 2 rookies, and unheralded guys at both tackle positions. We'll have to see this thing play out, but I've got hope...it's preseasin, so we should all have hope.

Well, let's face it: we have a bunch of brand new rookies playing on the O-line. This is something that we simply can't deny. Generally, rookies don't do as well as veterans.

But I also know that until the season actually begins, we don't know what is going to happen. I think that if we can use the no huddle well the O-line can balance their pure athletic ability against their lack of experience. While I by no means think that we'll have the best O-line, if we're lucky and smart it won't matter.

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football...dk2k9olineranks

Dueling it out with Detroit for worst in the league (by a long stretch), if Scouts Inc. is to be believed ...

would put much stock into this douchebag's opinion. If you are a bills fan you already new this was a possibilty.

p.s o-line will benefit from no huddle tremendously! Watch and see

talk about chemistry...i never knew that jason peters and shawn andrews were teammates AND roommates in college, not to mention shawn's brother, stacey, is playing next to him. i think that will be a solid, cohesive, dominant unit.

as for the bills...i'll continue to say (until their play proves me wrong) i think we wasted 2 draft picks this year: levitre and byrd. i also think that in 2 years, eric wood will be our starting center. instead of byrd we should've taken everette brown or max unger. and instead of levitre, we should've taken phil loadholt, william beatty, seabastian vollmer or michael johnson.

Pittsburgh (run rank: 27/pass rank: 28)

That's a SB team ranked very low. Brings these rankings into question, doesn't it?

Love how stats get ignored when there are "agendas" at stake.

Burn Jauron's house down for this!!!!!

Of course, those who wish bad things upon Edwards will argue his inferiority to Big Ben, others will claim coaching is the difference in OL play (yet they'll compare Dick to Tomlin) and on and on.

Rankings are worthless in terms of wins/losses. Wasn't the guy who beat Tiger last weekend ranked 110th in the world?? Whoopidy-doo!!!!!!!