More speculation on Roscoe, this time from a local

Beerball

Do you really believe that Roscoe has any value as a WR in the NFL? Has he ever proven effective at this role? No way is he a #3 and it is a gift to call him a #4.

Look at last night - touched the ball three times one resulted in a fumble. More of the same from him - bottom line is that he is too small to play anythin other than a specialized role in the NFL.

He's not too small to play slot reciever. If you're looking at stats from last night, compare that to Reed's one catch for 4 yards.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How about a serviceable outside linebacker in return? Just throwing that on the pile...

I think a lot of people are in love with the guy, which is adorable, but maybe he's jsut not that good of a receiver. Speed kills every DB... in highschool and college. Great wide receivers seem to just get open magically. They don't do it because they are the fastest, quickest, strongest, tallest, or jump the highest... there's a lot of wide receivers who are amazing athletes (kind of have to be to get a shot in the NFL). Great receivers are also smart and know how to trick a DB with little things that most of us would never think of or do. Maybe he just isn't that good because he doesn't apply himself well mentally.

I hate to do this, but I compare him to Maxim Afinogenov from the Sabres. Yes, the man has sickening speed and yes at times he has made all of us go, "WOW." Where is he now? Struggling to find a job because he's just not terribly smart and thus one dimensional. Yet people still will argue that someday he's going to score 50 goals. No, he isn't. Roscoe Parish will probably never make 70 catches and pile up 1000 yards. Not because he's a bad athlete, or because he can't help a football team with punt returning and gimick stuff, but because he's just not as smart as someone like Steve Smith from Carolina.

Have we given him chances? Yeah, maybe they aren't the right ones. We don't know, but we do know that he is worth more than Josh Reed to other teams, simply because he occasionally makes a highlight reel play.

Josh is very valuable to this team. There are very few receivers who can block like he does. We all like to think that's not the case, but it is. If we had an O-Line that could actually give the running back time to find a whole I promise you that Josh would be the guy who makes the block down field that leads to a touchdown. No he doesn't look shiny and cool, but he's the type of guy you must have on a winning football team. Roscoe is too, but if what we get in return is a player that makes us better in the D-line, linebackers or O-line that would be more valuable than having a gimmick player right now.

He's not too small to play slot reciever. If you're looking at stats from last night, compare that to Reed's one catch for 4 yards.

Reed has proven himself valuable as a receiver and a blocker. Look at the drop off in the performance of the offense last year after Reed was hurt. Seems to me that Roscoe did not pick it up.

What makes you think putting on another jersey will make Parrish an effective WR? If he is such a dangerous WR, why do the Bills have to be "more creative" and "think outside the box" to make use of him? How about he lines up, runs his pattern, catches the ball and runs more than 3 or 4 yards after the catch?

You know, like actual WRs.

WEO, The problem is that they don't make adeuate use of him, whether in a conventional or creative way. Is he going to be as good as Hester of Chicago is or might be? Probably not. But for sure he is going to be more of a threat than Josh Reed or Jenkins. Atlanta used Douglas, the rookie, short statured and quick receiver from Louisville, last year. He was an dynamite player. He got hurt and won't be able to play this year. I'm sure that such a team with a good coaching staff and a very good qb would make better use of Parrish than we would.

Over the past few years the Bills had a dearth of big plays (to put it mildly). With the few "touches" he had he still had more than his share of those meaningful plays.

We have a roster spot devoted solely to LONG SNAPPER, and people here are complaining about the frivolity of keeping the second best NFL punt returner?! Our special teams unit is the only one that is playoff-caliber right now. Our offense can't block, and our defense can't generate a pass rush. Unless we're talking about trading Parrish for a legitimate starting OL or DL player, I say cut Justin Jenkins, keep 6 WR's on the roster (Owens, Evans, Reed, PARRISH, Johnson, Hardy), and stop trying to dismantle the few components of this team that are actually working. If you're that worried about re-signing McGee, then cut genuine wastes of space like Kelsay or Schobel to free up some $$$.

I can't believe there's another, "let's trade Roscoe" thread. Those muffed puts the last two games wasn't enough proof that we have to keep Parrish around? I'm sure Leodis can do the job, but he's already a KR and a starting CB. We don't want to overwhelm the guy.

Do you really believe that Roscoe has any value as a WR in the NFL? Has he ever proven effective at this role? No way is he a #3 and it is a gift to call him a #4.

Look at last night - touched the ball three times one resulted in a fumble. More of the same from him - bottom line is that he is too small to play anythin other than a specialized role in the NFL.

I have posted before that I do not care about his value as a WR. His value to the team is as a Punt returner & that is wrongly undervalued by many on this board. As was said about McKelvin if he were a great receiver also & was injured there would be TWO positions affected.

I have posted before that I do not care about his value as a WR. His value to the team is as a Punt returner & that is wrongly undervalued by many on this board.

Unfortunately, all the Parrish hob-nobbers come out of the woodwork, professing he's the next Devin Hester/Wes Welker. As I and many others have pointed out.

HE WEIGHS 25 POUNDS LESS THAN THEM, AND FROM ALL ACCOUNTS I'VE HEARD, HIS FOOTBALL IQ IS NEAR ZERO.

Unfortunately, all the Parrish hob-nobbers come out of the woodwork, professing he's the next Devin Hester/Wes Welker. As I and many others have pointed out.

HE WEIGHS 25 POUNDS LESS THAN THEM, AND FROM ALL ACCOUNTS I'VE HEARD, HIS FOOTBALL IQ IS NEAR ZERO.

He may weigh less, but he is a MUCH better return man than Welker.

How bout we use him like Pats use welker, screens amd picks from the other receivers

You mean how we will use Reed this year? Roscoe with all his equipment on doesnt weight as much as Welker does. Hes too small to play wr consistantly. IMO

What makes you think putting on another jersey will make Parrish an effective WR? If he is such a dangerous WR, why do the Bills have to be "more creative" and "think outside the box" to make use of him? How about he lines up, runs his pattern, catches the ball and runs more than 3 or 4 yards after the catch?

You know, like actual WRs.

I hate to say it, but I agree with you.

Without reading the rest of the posts after this one, I can take a wild guess in what other posters will say.

Something along the lines of:

"The coaching staff hasn't done a good job in finding ways to use him"

Did you even read my post that you responded to? I do not care about his receiving skills. He has VALUE as a GREAT punt returner.

I guess you also argue that his contract and roster spot are appropriate also. According to the Buffalo schmooze he caries a $3MM cap number. IMO opinion if he is willing to restructure his contract (down significantly) then maybe you continue to leave him on the roster to return punts. However, the Bills have to review the special teams situation as a whole because IMO they carry far too many one role players (STer's only). To me they seem to do this to the detriment of their overall roster.

BTW I am not even suggesting that among the list that Roscoe is the first St'er to go. IMO that is a toss up between Corto or Wendling if not both.

On Saturday you saw pretty much what Roscoe is capable of. If he makes a catch in space he will get yardage. But if a safety/corner/LB gets a hand on him then you have a high risk of turnover/injury. He is the size of a small high school wideout. Fats as heck, but will be banged up a lot if he was an everydown player.

He may weigh less, but he is a MUCH better return man than Welker.
Sure. It's his recieving skills that are being questioned, not his return ability.
Did you even read my post that you responded to? I do not care about his receiving skills. He has VALUE as a GREAT punt returner.

Let's break this down. My initial post was referencing posters who claim Roscoe should be used more IN THE !@#$ING OFFENSE.

You respond by telling me he's a much better return man than Welker.

I respond my telling you it's his receiving skills in question.

I've never argued his value as a punt returner. He should be on the roster for that alone. Let's just not try and turn him into something he's not, which every Roscoe Afinogenov fan seems to want to do.

Let's break this down. My initial post was referencing posters who claim Roscoe should be used more IN THE !@#$ING OFFENSE.

You respond by telling me he's a much better return man than Welker.

I respond my telling you it's his receiving skills in question.

I've never argued his value as a punt returner. He should be on the roster for that alone. Let's just not try and turn him into something he's not, which every Roscoe Afinogenov fan seems to want to do.

Let's break this down. In my origional Post #49 which YOU responded to, I said I DO NOT CARE ABOUT HIS ABILITY AS A RECEIVER. He has far more value as a GREAT returner than some people realize.