Vick Presser

Thought he handled himself very well IMO

I have to give the Eagles some props for giving him a second chance, hey if Tony Dungy agrees with this, and McNabb even help get Vick to Philly then the haters should give Vick a break and lets see how this plays out.

I thought he handled himself very well, too. All he has are words now, obviously his actions will be the determining factor, but he surely didn't seem like he was just reading a statement or didn't believe what he was saying. Dungy helps his credibility a ton. I hope it works out for him.

Does anyone actually believe the Vick would have stopped the dog fighting ring if he hadn't been caught and sent to prison? I absolutely believe he'd still be doing it today if he wasn't caught

It's amazing how incarceration (and the loss of MILLIONS of dollars) makes you realize what you were doing was !@#$ing HORRIBLE. I'm sorry, but the sh-- he was doing before being caught was horrific, he knew it was illegal, unethical and down right freaking cruel and yet he had no problem with it.

I'm not all that religious so I don't owe him any forgiveness. I hope some dog loving defensive lineman breaks his leg or chokes the !@#$ing life out of him.

Thought he handled himself very well IMO

I have to give the Eagles some props for giving him a second chance, hey if Tony Dungy agrees with this, and McNabb even help get Vick to Philly then the haters should give Vick a break and lets see how this plays out.

Can we please stop saying second chance? It's like his 5th.

Vick is nothing but a thug, plain and simple... What he did took place over years ...This wasn't a guy who had one too many and drove drunk.

On top of that he was a crap QB before all this went down - Why some Bills fans wet their pants with anticipation of him signing here is beyond me.

Does anyone actually believe the Vick would have stopped the dog fighting ring if he hadn't been caught and sent to prison? I absolutely believe he'd still be doing it today if he wasn't caught

It's amazing how incarceration (and the loss of MILLIONS of dollars) makes you realize what you were doing was !@#$ing HORRIBLE. I'm sorry, but the sh-- he was doing before being caught was horrific, he knew it was illegal, unethical and down right freaking cruel and yet he had no problem with it.

That's pretty much what he said himself in the press conference.

Can we please stop saying second chance? It's like his 5th.

If anything it would be his 3rd. The weed in the water bottle is the only other thing. Showing your middle finger towards a few fans is nothing. Brian Cox used to do that at every Bills game. And Ron Mexico is just him trying to hide the fact that he has an STD. If you had an STD would you tell everyone about it?

Im not in love with Vick, Im just defending that other than the weed and the dogs there are no other real issues. If there are more then Ill eat my crow. I just dont think those other things are all that bad. The dog killing was horrible. No justifying that. But he did go to prison for it. And he was there for a longer time than a recent WR that killed a person while drunk driving.

Vick is nothing but a thug, plain and simple... What he did took place over years ...This wasn't a guy who had one too many and drove drunk.

On top of that he was a crap QB before all this went down - Why some Bills fans wet their pants with anticipation of him signing here is beyond me.

I wasnt wetting my pants to get him here. But even as a bad QB he still won games, and took some bad teams to the playoffs(and won). As far as our situation at QB now, we have a backup that everyone already wants out of town because he is so bad, a 3rd stringer that is worse, and a starter that has only proven that he gets injured at least once a year. Im just saying a veteran backup might not have been a bad idea. I dont care if its Michael Vick or Jeff George. We should get someone in here with some real experience.

Guest dog14787

I'm not all that religious so I don't owe him any forgiveness. I hope some dog loving defensive lineman breaks his leg or chokes the !@#$ing life out of him.

I love animals and I'm especially fond of dogs, but something is wrong when we as a race forget humans have the capabilities to learn from their mistakes and feel remorse for their sins. Only God knows whats in Michael Vicks heart and in the end its all that matters.

Why are we as a nation so drawn to one on one combat even though the outcome is sometimes very brutal and in rare cases death occurs. Why are the most watched shows filled with violence and death and in many cases its humans killing humans. Different cultures are becoming civilized at different rates and the African American's growth was stunted as a direct result of what we as a Country did to them and this Holier than thou attitude from a people whom not to long ago treated blacks like animals goes to far in my opinion.

Michael Vick deserves a second chance.

If anything it would be his 3rd. The weed in the water bottle is the only other thing. Showing your middle finger towards a few fans is nothing. Brian Cox used to do that at every Bills game. And Ron Mexico is just him trying to hide the fact that he has an STD. If you had an STD would you tell everyone about it?

Im not in love with Vick, Im just defending that other than the weed and the dogs there are no other real issues. If there are more then Ill eat my crow. I just dont think those other things are all that bad. The dog killing was horrible. No justifying that. But he did go to prison for it. And he was there for a longer time than a recent WR that killed a person while drunk driving.

The "Ron Mexico" story didnt come out because he was trying to hide that he had an STD. It came out because he was being sued for KNOWINGLY spreading it to other people. The scumbag KNEW he was infected, but told women he was clean and refused to wear condoms.

That, right there, shows you exactly what type of person he is/was.

I love animals and I'm especially fond of dogs, but something is wrong when we as a race forget humans have the capabilities to learn from their mistakes and feel remorse for their sins. Only God knows whats in Michael Vicks heart and in the end its all that matters.

Why are we as a nation so drawn to one on one combat even though the outcome is sometimes very brutal and in rare cases death occurs. Why are the most watched shows filled with violence and death and in many cases its humans killing humans. Different cultures are becoming civilized at different rates and the African American's growth was stunted by as a direct result of what we as a Country did to them and this Holier than thou attitude from a people whom not to long ago treated blacks like animals goes to far in my opinion.

Michael Vick deserves a second chance.

not only do you contradict yourself in this post, but you managed to state that African Americans living today are less civilized than whites? dude, cmon...

to me this isnt about "dogs" or the value of a dog's life, its about him INTENTIONALLY and DIRECTLY torturing, drowning and killing living things over and over, especially when those acts are illegal. it's about him KNOWINGLY and INTENTIONALLY spreading herpes to other people.

yeah, he was punished harshly and has paid his price. but i can not be sure that it magically turned him into a better person. id love to believe it did. but the days of trusting him are over. HE ruined that. so now he has to prove it. thats all there is to it.

i hope he does.

So Vick charmed all of you in his presser, eh? He really is one hell of a sociopath.

Nicely put.

You all realize, of course, that very soon we will all be treated to the "I'm a victim here, the world is against me, and I'm gonna show them" line that the Pats* used after Spygate, right? Within two months, sportswriters, fans, and other assorted fartsacks are going to turn him into a victim and a hero.

Ugh.

:blink:

do alcoholics stop drinking unless they are told they have to?

do drug addicts stop using unless they are told they have to?

most people dont see anything wrong with their actions until something intervens causing them to take a hard look at what they have been doing.

most people dont see anything wrong with their actions until something intervens causing them to take a hard look at what they have been doing.

Running an organized dog fighting ring and engaging in self abusive behavior aren't the same thing.

But to answer your question, yes many of them do.

As someone that has been around alcoholics and is around criminals on almost a daily basis, it doesn't matter what the circumstances are, most will continue said behavior even if caught or having an intervening moment. Unless that individual WILLINGLY decides to make a change on their own, not be forced they'll continue said activity. The amount of individuals I see come back in on probation violations is ridiculous.

Now we are talking about someone that has openly been caught lying in the past about the situation? Forced to do time? Multiple issues in the past Vick also lied about? Being put back into an arena where he can make enough money to cover it up? Where Vick can use the media and good hearted people to make it out like he's being the wrongly persecuted victim now? My money is on that leopard not changing his spots.

Guest dog14787
not only do you contradict yourself in this post, but you managed to state that African Americans living today are less civilized than whites? dude, cmon...

to me this isnt about "dogs" or the value of a dog's life, its about him INTENTIONALLY and DIRECTLY torturing, drowning and killing living things over and over, especially when those acts are illegal. it's about him KNOWINGLY and INTENTIONALLY spreading herpes to other people.

yeah, he was punished harshly and has paid his price. but i can not be sure that it magically turned him into a better person. id love to believe it did. but the days of trusting him are over. HE ruined that. so now he has to prove it. thats all there is to it.

i hope he does.

Do you think the way blacks were treated here in our country when we brought them over as slaves helped them? Did we educate them? Did we treat them properly?

I take great pride in calling African American's my brother's and sister's and they are a huge part of what makes our Country unique and special.

For the most part, I'm pretty shocked at some of the responses here.

First off, let's stop throwing around the word "murder". Murder (at least according to Webster) involves killing a human being; Vick killed dogs. Yes, dogs lives are valuable too, and what he did was horrendous, but he is not a murderer. However, for those of you that lack perspective:

- He's bankrupt, and owes over $20M in bankruptcy court.

- He spent a year-and-a-half in prison (approxmiately 17 months more than Donte' Stallworth and 15 months more than Leonard Little, who actually did kill human beings--oh and by the way, Little received a subsequent DWI 8 months later, and is still aloud to play, where's the public outrage there? Oh, I forgot, if it's not currently discussed in the news it doesn't matter to some of you.)

- His image is permanently scarred in the court of public opinion

What more do some of you want? People commit crimes every day. No, that doesn't make it okay. However, when people get out of prison, they often resume their life's work (assuming they abide by the law), and do so successfully. I can personally can attest that an individual in my former line of work (as an engineer) drove under the influence and killed a person. While that individual was fired from our firm and went to prison, they were hired within a few months of their release by a competing firm. So far (to my knowledge), this person has had no subsequent incidents. Last time I checked, the purpose of prison is to rehabilitate individuals so that they can contribute effectively to society upon their release.

Life, in my opinion, is about forgiveness. Even if you don't think people deserve it. Who are any of us to say who is and isn't genuine in their remorse? Look, I can't guarantee you that Vick really is sorry for what he did, but don't you folks think that it's flat out wrong to assume that you know someone's mentality from watching a press conference? People change, it happens every day. My mentorship has always taught me that the things you teach others most effectively are derived directly from the mistakes you make. Who's to say that Vick doesn't end up a positive influence on kids regarding the dangers of illegal dog fighting, cruelty to animals, organized crime in general, and failure to accept responsibility? Nobody on this board, I can guarantee you that.

I agree with the other negative reaction to this post stated above. In addition to that perspective, I also see this situation being quite different from the alcoholic in that this diseased person made a bad decision to drink and reduce their decision-making ability and even much worse someone else paid the penalty for their mistake.

However, in Vick's case while the alcoholic did not set out with the idea in mind of killing or hurting someone or something, he destroyed his decision making ability and hurt someone. vick on the the other hand with all the mental and emotional decision-making he could muster decided to hurt and brutalize other beings for money and whatever perverse pleasure this gave him.

I am quite willing to forgive someone for making an error that had the unintended effect of hurting someone AFTER or in conjunction with them paying the dictated penalty for their crime. However, Vick did not make a "mistake" which led to him doing unintended inhuman things. Vick specifically decided repeatedly to do inhuman things.

To a significant degree I am not willing to simply forgive him even after he pays for his crime There is some additional punishment based in him feeling the shame from society which I think is more than appropriate in addition to the penalties he has served with loss of his freedom.

I am content with society not punishing him by denying him freedom and imprisoning him more (though mere months in prison strikes me as a pretty light sentence for the inhumane acts he created- 10 years more in prison seems like a fair sentence to me for what he did but that is another issue).

However the idea that he like all others who made mistakes deserves a second chance strikes me as wrong. He gave away his rights to a second chance by the sheer intended brutality of his acts.

I can honestly say I didn't want him......

People thought that we should take him on because we took a chance and took TO on.

I say that is just too much for this franchise as we dont have an ironfisted coach to keep all the BS in line and already have potential issues with a few of our own. We didn't need Vick and the neg pub and potential future problems he might bring on top of that.

In addition to that.....the guy was never a GREAT QB to begin with.....we are not talking about TO and his fantastic production that you put up with the rest that comes with it....we are talking about a QB who has accuracy issues and wants to run around too much.

If we are going to bring in a backup to look at lets bring in a actual backup veteran QB that makes his throws from the pocket.

For the most part, I'm pretty shocked at some of the responses here.

First off, let's stop throwing around the word "murder". Murder (at least according to Webster) involves killing a human being; Vick killed dogs. Yes, dogs lives are valuable too, and what he did was horrendous, but he is not a murderer. However, for those of you that lack perspective:

- He's bankrupt, and owes over $20M in bankruptcy court.

- He spent a year-and-a-half in prison (approxmiately 17 months more than Donte' Stallworth and 15 months more than Leonard Little, who actually did kill human beings--oh and by the way, Little received a subsequent DWI 8 months later, and is still aloud to play, where's the public outrage there? Oh, I forgot, if it's not currently discussed in the news it doesn't matter to some of you.)

- His image is permanently scarred in the court of public opinion

What more do some of you want? People commit crimes every day. No, that doesn't make it okay. However, when people get out of prison, they often resume their life's work (assuming they abide by the law), and do so successfully. I can personally can attest that an individual in my former line of work (as an engineer) drove under the influence and killed a person. While that individual was fired from our firm and went to prison, they were hired within a few months of their release by a competing firm. So far (to my knowledge), this person has had no subsequent incidents. Last time I checked, the purpose of prison is to rehabilitate individuals so that they can contribute effectively to society upon their release.

Life, in my opinion, is about forgiveness. Even if you don't think people deserve it. Who are any of us to say who is and isn't genuine in their remorse? Look, I can't guarantee you that Vick really is sorry for what he did, but don't you folks think that it's flat out wrong to assume that you know someone's mentality from watching a press conference? People change, it happens every day. My mentorship has always taught me that the things you teach others most effectively are derived directly from the mistakes you make. Who's to say that Vick doesn't end up a positive influence on kids regarding the dangers of illegal dog fighting, cruelty to animals, organized crime in general, and failure to accept responsibility? Nobody on this board, I can guarantee you that.

I think it is great if Vick actually does take actions to be a positive influence for kids. As a football fan, I do wish he would not mess up the entertainment vehicle of football to do what he feels are positive things.

What Goodell and the Iggles have done in my view is take a perfectly wonderful sport and allowed the soap opera of Michael Vicks life to intrude further on this great game. I for one may watch the first general report they do on ESPN or in some pre-game about Vick, but I probably will not. I find the competitive spirit and the game itself entertaining and fun to watch.

However, I find Vick's actions so brutal and inhumane that for me it takes away from the entertainment value of the product.

I am overjoyed the Bills did not sign him because if they did, reminders of his inhumanity might well cause me to simply stop watching the team I love. maybe that is mere testimony to me not loving the team enough. Actually, I think it speaks more to how offended I am by the inhuman actions Vick profited from and reveled in. Forgive? Maybe under some circumstances. Forget? Never because of the brutal inhumanity of his actions.

The NFL is marred for me by any mention of Vick and a reminder of his inhumanity.

I think it is great if Vick actually does take actions to be a positive influence for kids. As a football fan, I do wish he would not mess up the entertainment vehicle of football to do what he feels are positive things.

What Goodell and the Iggles have done in my view is take a perfectly wonderful sport and allowed the soap opera of Michael Vicks life to intrude further on this great game. I for one may watch the first general report they do on ESPN or in some pre-game about Vick, but I probably will not. I find the competitive spirit and the game itself entertaining and fun to watch.

However, I find Vick's actions so brutal and inhumane that for me it takes away from the entertainment value of the product.

I am overjoyed the Bills did not sign him because if they did, reminders of his inhumanity might well cause me to simply stop watching the team I love. maybe that is mere testimony to me not loving the team enough. Actually, I think it speaks more to how offended I am by the inhuman actions Vick profited from and reveled in. Forgive? Maybe under some circumstances. Forget? Never because of the brutal inhumanity of his actions.

The NFL is marred for me by any mention of Vick and a reminder of his inhumanity.

If Tony Dungy can forgive his actions so can you. If Dungy, who is held in very high regard inside and outside of football BTW, can help Mike Vick of all people to lead him towards a Christian life or maybe in this case a normal life outside of football then I am all for it.

Malcolm X was a pimp, drug dealer, robber plain old thug when he was young. But is he remembered for that????

NO

He is remembered for being a Civil rights Leader. Not comparing the 2 men but you get my drift. People can and do change

Vick is being giving an chance to reclaim his. No we will not forget what he did to those poor dogs. But the guy is what 29 yrs old? I hope he regains his swagger and comes back and plays like he did when he was the Mike Vick experience.

You should not dwell on the past ,look forward to the future.