So I had a phone interview scheduled for 11 AM

The Poojer

it's very common for companies to have open positions, and then have those positions yanked and need to be rejustified.

The email you got yesterday essentially said "I just got back from vacation and have a shiitload of stuff to do, none of which includes getting to your inquiry, and I'll get to you when I can."

My fear is that while I haven't yet been eliminated from consideration, they're actively looking for someone better.

In my experience, any or all three of these explanations are likely to be the case. Also, it's not uncommon once they've seen a bunch of candidates to start rethinking the job (meaning either changing the spec or eliminating it completely). A variety of things can drive that change in thinking; not happy with any candidates, realization that they could get someone who's good enough for less money, deciding that they could get someone much more experienced for slightly higher salary, some change in business condition makes them think they should be emphasizing ABC skills more than XYZ skills, etc.

And honestly, in the middle tough economic times, you need a lot of people sign off on a new hire. HR, hiring manager, dept head, CFO, maybe even the CEO. In the middle of July-August, people are on vacation so it can take a while to get sh-- done when you need input from a lot of people. It works much better in Europe -- they just say "don't call us in August, no one will be here".

There's really no way to tell what is causing the delay and it's not worth worrying yourself over, especially since it probably has almost nothing to do with you.

And Jerry C, as Tom Petty said, the Waiting is the hardest part...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A simple thank you for your consideration and I look forward to talking to you soon type of thing is all I'm looking for. Any more they've lost me.

I could care less about thank you notes. I have enough useless sh-- on my desk, I don't need any more.

Get better.

:nana:

11:20 rolls around nothing....I send an email asking the recruiter if she needed to re-schedule...she quickly responds that she was in a meeting that went over and would it be ok to call in a few minutes...sure no problem....she winds up calling around 11:47....It amazes me how people do business and are allowed to stay in business....whatever....I wonder what would have happened if I showed up late for an interview.....at least I think the interview went well, but I have said that too many times before.........

I think these guys might be looking for someone? LINK

cool, that's what I always do...some people i hear say they basically 'readers digest' their interview and their resume in a thank you note....I think that is just a waste of time....

A simple thank you for your consideration and I look forward to talking to you soon type of thing is all I'm looking for. Any more they've lost me.

I could care less about thank you notes. I have enough useless sh-- on my desk, I don't need any more.

Who said anything about them sitting on my desk. I read them then toss them. IMO it's just good professional courtesy. And actually 90% of them come via email so they get deleted immediately. Hell I've had people send an email from people who I haven't even interviewed yet, we've just talked at a career fair. Those are typically from people who probably wouldn't even get the interview in the first place.

i tried taking advantage...knowing full well it was a mistake...but their delivery system was down and wouldn't let me go to the check out...someone i know got the confirmation email and all....some lady on the local richmond news got through as well, figured it was a mistake...ordered and got confirmation for the 7 she decided to order...she actually expected them to honor it....there is no way in hell any retailer could or would honor something like that....it was clearly a mistake

I think these guys might be looking for someone? LINK

cool, that's what I always do...some people i hear say they basically 'readers digest' their interview and their resume in a thank you note....I think that is just a waste of time....

Now why would I want that? I was there at the interview and I have your resume. In my mind they're sounding too desperate or too much of an ass kisser.

At the end of my interview I ask one last question, "why should I hire you for our firm". My branch admin said "because I'm fun." That is the main reason why I hired her, and she was right. An no, she's not hot. :nana:

My fear is that while I haven't yet been eliminated from consideration, they're actively looking for someone better.

What could have done differently to this point, aside from the interview that might have expedited this process?

If they've seen your posts here and your defenses of jauron, they probably realized they don't want someone who celebrates mediocrity. :huh:

Exactly. Especially if it's a recruiter. These days they have thousands of candidates and few openings so you need to remember the law of supply and demand when going through the job search process. It's not something you should take personally.

You are exactly right.

Plus, you have to remember the 3rd law of the interviewer: "My time is more important than your time".

i am somewhat surprised that a number of people feel that the type of behavior i described is acceptable and even expected....perhaps this is a root problem with customer service in general...<sigh>....I have alot of work to do i guess....one at a time....one at a time

i am somewhat surprised that a number of people feel that the type of behavior i described is acceptable and even expected....perhaps this is a root problem with customer service in general...<sigh>....I have alot of work to do i guess....one at a time....one at a time

Just like it's ok for the boss to be late for work, but it's not ok for you to be late for work. That's just life.

I received my PhD in Chemistry in December but have been looking and interviewing for jobs since March 2008. I still don't have a permanent full-time job, but I just took a position as a college instructor. Even before the market started to tank in September/October, I was interviewing and learning that companies are in no big hurry to hire, even if there are openings. Internal and 3rd party recruiters love to get your hopes up and give you the runaround, especially 3rd party recruiters.

Pooj: I have had similar things happen to me. I agree with you that it is rude, but I try not to take it personal. As most have said, they have the power, and it is just the nature of their profession. Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

Ramius and Big Cat: I have also had a similar thing happen to me post-interview. You're not rejected, but you're definitely not their top choice. In many cases, I don't think these companies really know WHAT they want. That's most likely why they're not responding to you. Over the course of 4 months, I had two on-site interviews with a company. During this time period, I received phone calls from 3rd party recruiters about this very same position. The recruiter gave me the job description and where the company was located. I told her, "I know what company this is, it's XXXX." She said, "I'm not allowed to reveal the identity of this company." I said, "NO, I know what job this is, I'm already interviewing for it." At this point I knew they were searching for more candidates, but I was communicating with the hiring manager and they told me I was still in consideration. About five weeks after the 2nd interview, I finally received the formal rejection email. When I called to follow up, I found out that they didn't actually offer anyone else the job. As far as I know, it's still open. So basically, even if there are openings, it seems like companies are being very selective in who they hire. Again, I try not to take this personally. Like Chef Jim says, get better.

Well, it is becoming the norm, as shown by this article that just popped up on my Yahoo page today...

5 Ways Companies Mistreat Job Seekers

its funny...they asked me my salary requirements....uh hello.....anything above 378/week trumps unemployment.....i usually dance around that issue by giving what i was making prior to folding, and that salary, while a definite factor, isn't the driving factor for me...room for growth, learning and advancement is what drives me.....i do my phone interviews in a pair of hip waders as it gets quite deep at times

Well, it is becoming the norm, as shown by this article that just popped up on my Yahoo page today...

5 Ways Companies Mistreat Job Seekers

I interviewed for a position on July 24 after a phone screening earlier that week. I was told then that they'd "call me one way or the other" by what was last Friday (August 7).

On August 3rd I received an email back indicating they had received my thank you in the mail, and thanking me for attaching an electronic copy that arrived immediately that following Monday (July 27) The email closed by saying: "We will be in touch soon!" I shot back a very quick email saying: "Fantastic! I look forward to hearing from you soon!"

August 7 rolled around, still no correspondence, no email, letter, or call. So I sent out another email saying: "I was anticipating a response one way or the other by today, and hope I have not yet been eliminated from consideration since I remain enthusiastic about the opportunity. I look forward to hearing from you soon!"

The email was sent around 4:00 and I immediately received back an out-of-office email for the following Monday (Aug 10).

So, I waited until Tuesday (Aug 11), then finally placed a call, left a voice mail basically re-stating my email from the 7th.

Yesterday morning I received the following email: "Hi Big Cat – thank you for your email and voicemail. We are still in the interview process and we apologize for the delay. We will certainly notify you by phone either way once a decision is made."

Seriously, what should I read into all this?

Chef, as a hirer, your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I head HR for my employer so I am a little familiar with this stuff.

I would not read too much into the situation ... however the lack of response over the time period you mention suggests they are probably not strongly interested in hiring you. This may be a total misread based on many factors. Hiring managers take vacations, if they are having to coordinate flying candidates in or other business issues can delay the process.

For some executive roles it can take months just because you are dealing with people that travel a lot (some international). So it can be really hard to line up calendars.

its funny...they asked me my salary requirements....uh hello.....anything above 378/week trumps unemployment.....i usually dance around that issue by giving what i was making prior to folding, and that salary, while a definite factor, isn't the driving factor for me...room for growth, learning and advancement is what drives me.....i do my phone interviews in a pair of hip waders as it gets quite deep at times

Salary expectations shouldn't come as a surprise to either party. You shouldn't be in an interview in the first place unless you know the salary range they are offering and it lines up with your expectations and experience. Given that, there's no need to be shy about stating the salary you are seeking.

I've seen resumes and cover letters where people wrote laughable stuff like "Will accept any salary" or "Will accept any position". Usually not the best approach.

11:20 rolls around nothing....I send an email asking the recruiter if she needed to re-schedule...she quickly responds that she was in a meeting that went over and would it be ok to call in a few minutes...sure no problem....she winds up calling around 11:47....It amazes me how people do business and are allowed to stay in business....whatever....I wonder what would have happened if I showed up late for an interview.....at least I think the interview went well, but I have said that too many times before.........

look on the bright side

she was probably firing the guy that you will be replacing :huh:

no i disagree...no one person is more important than another...they may have a title and get paid more....but my kids don't give a rats rear end about some HR persons time....mine on the otherhand is very important to them....I expect everyone to treat everyone with the respect they deserve, and everyone deserves to be treated with basic respect, until of course they prove otherwise

Dear Mr Poojer,

Thank you for taking time out from your busy schedule to allow us to interview...unfortunately, at this time, we are looking for candidates who are more flexible and not as rigid in judging people...we have decided to go in a different direction. Thank you so much for your time!

Sincerely,

inconsiderate B word! :devil:

ps- good luck finding a job...I will be joining you soon in the ranks of the unemployed. :thumbsup: