Jason Peters Interview on ESPN.com

LynchMob23

I've said it from day one, the Bills should have paid Peters his money and kept him. If you were in his position (3rd highest paid player on the line, making 1/3 your fair mkt value) not many people would sit idly by. Spare me the nonsense about how you'd be happy making 3-4m a year. It's only natural to look at the 6-7 you are giving up.

Another bonehead move that will become more apparent in the years to come. He will be making the Pro Bowl again while we sign the next Derrick Dockery equivalent for the same money Peters was asking for originally.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the Eagles and Andy Reid is a phenomenal coach. But because the Bills play in a tougher division and couldn't back into the playoffs (remember, the Eagles were "out of it" by Thanksgiving) he's taken the "we're in it for the SuperBowl every year" route...fair enough..

When it comes to quality organizations, Philadelphia is right up there because they've sustained a high level of success since Reid took over in 99. To me, it seems the same teams, particularly in the AFC, are in the playoffs.

Frankly, I give clubs like Philly the benefit of the doubt when they make a move, be it trade, draft, or UFA. It's why being critical of the Bills shouldn't be an issue until they prove something on the field. The Peters trade needs to play out, but anyone who thinks trading quality LT's is normal needs to look around a bit. Reid and the Eagles haven't hit on many skill players, but their OL and DL picks have been solid for the most part.

And while Reid hasn't had success in a league championship games, they've gotten that far 5 times since 2000. Only NE can make that claim. And for the record, PHI competes in a tough division themselves.

Explain to me how the Bills play in a tougher division?

Our division is Buffalo, Miami, Jets, New England...

Theirs is Philadelphia, NY Gaints, Dallas Cowboys, Redskins...

The Bills play in the AFC. There's point number one. Point number two is that the Bills three divisional opponents went 31-17 last year with two 11-5 teams in the division. The bEagles three opponents went 29-19. After the Giants 12-4 record, the next best record is Dallas with 9-7.

My quick takeaways

Peters is one arrogant bastard. Can't wait to see this column in some lockers around the NFC East, specifically Ware and Tuck.

Peters flat out said his contract effected his play last year. Guess that ends that argument.

McNabb tampering??? Guess you can not put a restriction on friends..but why in the hell would Donavan McNabb be visiting Jason Peters in Houston???I dunno, maybe a personal connection there somehow, but I just can't see it.

Seems pretty clear he values pro bowls over super bowls...and feels that cause he went last year he must of had a good year.

I was pissed Bills traded this guy, and still think he is a phenomenal talent, but lean more and more everyday that trading him maybe not the colossal blunder I thought it was

What he said.

The Bills play in the AFC. There's point number one. Point number two is that the Bills three divisional opponents went 31-17 last year with two 11-5 teams in the division. The bEagles three opponents went 29-19. After the Giants 12-4 record, the next best record is Dallas with 9-7.

We can go back and forth on statistics all day and it won't matter because they are in different conferences facing different opponents, but there is no convincing me that the Bills Jets Dolphins and Pats are tougher teams than the Eagles Cowboys Giants and Redskins. I don't even know how anyone could say otherwise.

We can go back and forth on statistics all day and it won't matter because they are in different conferences facing different opponents, but there is no convincing me that the Bills Jets Dolphins and Pats are tougher teams than the Eagles Cowboys Giants and Redskins. I don't even know how anyone could say otherwise.

I just showed you how.

I just showed you how.

That NFC division has had one of their teams make it to the NFC Championship game in 7 out of the last 9 years. The AFC East hasn't had a team besides the Patriots make it since 1998. No one from the AFC East besides the Patriots have even made it to the Super Bowl SINCE THE BILLS, while BOTH the Giants and Eagles have made it within the last 4 years alone.

I can drudge statistics up all day long, and so can you, the point being that actually looking up and down the rosters, you can't tell me the AFC East has better teams, I'm sorry. Each divisional game over there is a death match. Jets vs. Dolphins... who cares?

When it comes to quality organizations, Philadelphia is right up there because they've sustained a high level of success since Reid took over in 99. To me, it seems the same teams, particularly in the AFC, are in the playoffs.

Frankly, I give clubs like Philly the benefit of the doubt when they make a move, be it trade, draft, or UFA. It's why being critical of the Bills shouldn't be an issue until they prove something on the field. The Peters trade needs to play out, but anyone who thinks trading quality LT's is normal needs to look around a bit. Reid and the Eagles haven't hit on many skill players, but their OL and DL picks have been solid for the most part.

And while Reid hasn't had success in a league championship games, they've gotten that far 5 times since 2000. Only NE can make that claim. And for the record, PHI competes in a tough division themselves.

Yes, philly is a quality organization. However, in this situation, we are talking about the actions of a athletically gifted, but mentally handicapped individual. Peters can be a quality LT, when he decides to put his small mind and large girth to it. However, given his comments and actions, there's also a high probability of him completely tanking it in the near future. He's got his big pay day, which is all he wanted. In might not be this year, but sooner rather than later, he's gonna start taking plays off, letting safeties have a free run at McNabb, and simply not caring about his production on the field, as long as he keeps his "pro bowler" status.

As for being critical of the Bills, no one attacks you for simply being critical. That's not the issue. You get attacked because, according to you, every single move the Bills make is a bad one, and the Bills have never made a single good decision according to your posts. Being critical is fine, but being able to recognize a good move or give credit where due (even if it only has been a few circumstances) would go a long way toward making you look like someone who wants to have a discussion as opposed to a simple whiner.

I just showed you how.

No you didn't. Stats dumbed down like that don't mean anything. Perhaps you didn't notice, but the AFC east played the weak NFC west and AFC west last year. In any case, stats rarely tell the whole story.

Here's a hypothetical scenario. A team not from either division plays all 8 of the teams in question this year at a neutral site. Anybody who knows anything about football would predict they would come out with a better record against the AFC east teams rather than the NFC east.

Whenever I hear over-simplistic arguments like yours, it reminds me of a sick joke I once heard: "Statistically, 5 out of 6 people enjoy gang-rape...that doesn't make it right".

My favorite part is how he talks about how his "new" minicamp was a wake up call. LOL. You would kind of have to attend one of those to know what went on during Buffalo's camps dont you?

Yayaya, Im sure im gonna get posters that say things like.... "he only missed last year, he was there every year up to that point" kind of crap.

I also like how he flat out admitted that the contract affected his play. And of course theres the comment about the playbook. Sure, that might be a knock on the Bills coaching that the playbook is smaller, its another reason why the team sucks, the camps are harder and more rigorous. Well, That should have made it easier to learn the playbook here shouldnt it?

I've said it from day one, the Bills should have paid Peters his money and kept him. If you were in his position (3rd highest paid player on the line, making 1/3 your fair mkt value) not many people would sit idly by. Spare me the nonsense about how you'd be happy making 3-4m a year. It's only natural to look at the 6-7 you are giving up.

Another bonehead move that will become more apparent in the years to come. He will be making the Pro Bowl again while we sign the next Derrick Dockery equivalent for the same money Peters was asking for originally.

bullsh*t. is tom brady sitting over in new england now that manning is paid better? is tom brady holding out for his new contract because the one he signed last year ain't as pretty as the new one's being signed?

your comment takes into account the player's point of view but neglects the organization's need to look at things as well. what i take away from peter's comments here is that he's pretty much looking for everyone else to elad the charge. to talk about the fact that we started off hot and then cooled down without mentioning "Oh, by the way, I wasn't ready to play football until 33% of the season was completed" speaks volumes about his own work ethic.

bullsh*t. is tom brady sitting over in new england now that manning is paid better? is tom brady holding out for his new contract because the one he signed last year ain't as pretty as the new one's being signed?

your comment takes into account the player's point of view but neglects the organization's need to look at things as well. what i take away from peter's comments here is that he's pretty much looking for everyone else to elad the charge. to talk about the fact that we started off hot and then cooled down without mentioning "Oh, by the way, I wasn't ready to play football until 33% of the season was completed" speaks volumes about his own work ethic.

I sort of think the question about goals and his answer about trying to be the best LT in the game, get to the Super Bowl, and continue to be draw accolades by his peers and go to the Pro Bowl spoke more about his work ethic than some contorted and convoluted extrapolation from a perceived slight of the Bills. The Bills collapsed as a team. Jason Peters doesn't have to take sole ownership of that crash and burn to show his "work ethic" doesn't suck. :w00t:

I just showed you how.

Did it ever occure to you the NFC East records are down because they beat each other up? It Miami Jets or Buffalo going in to any one in the NFC EAST home stadium and escaping with a victory? Doubt they would. Sometimes stats aside you just have to believe what you see with your eyes, and those 4 teams as a whoel are way better then the AFC EASTs.

As for being critical of the Bills, no one attacks you for simply being critical. That's not the issue. You get attacked because, according to you, every single move the Bills make is a bad one, and the Bills have never made a single good decision according to your posts. Being critical is fine, but being able to recognize a good move or give credit where due (even if it only has been a few circumstances) would go a long way toward making you look like someone who wants to have a discussion as opposed to a simple whiner.

It was an excellent move to sign TO to a 1 yr deal in March. I like Trent Edwards. Fred Jackson was an excellent UDFA signing in the 06-07 offseason. I'm willing to give Hangartner time. I liked the Maybin, Wood, and Nelson picks in the draft, to the extent of actually cheering them in April. I wear Posluszny's jersey to home games and he's probably my favorite Bill.

However, when you look at all other UFA acquisitions since 2006, they've stunk plain and simple. Levy's hiring was PR motivated to get fans excited in the wake of TD's reign of error. I don't even think I need to go into DJ's hiring either. Brandon isn't qualified to act as a GM, nor does he have the power to do so.

At the end of the day, the NFL is built to allow each team some success over a 10 year time period. The Bills have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory far too often, culminating in very little success. Yet the same people are essentially running the team in that time frame. That's why I don't go along with other's optimism.

As much of a d**k i think Jason Peters is, I don't get how anyone can argue that what he's saying about our Training camp is false. we all know DJ doesn't push these players. I can't even imagine him raising his voice let alone demanding much from our players physically. It seems to me that DJ thinks the players spend their own time getting into shape and preparing for the physical grind of an NFL season, and all he uses training camp for is to work on technique and the mental aspects. This might be an ok approach for a team with alot of veteran leadership, but we don't have that. Peter King even said that our training camp was much less physical than the ravens and the redskins after he visited a week or so ago. It just blows my mind that DJ refuses to make some changes to his approach knowing full well that his job is on the line. If it aint broke dont fix it, but in our case, if it's broke you gotta fix the damn thing.

As much of a d**k i think Jason Peters is, I don't get how anyone can argue that what he's saying about our Training camp is false. we all know DJ doesn't push these players. I can't even imagine him raising his voice let alone demanding much from our players physically. It seems to me that DJ thinks the players spend their own time getting into shape and preparing for the physical grind of an NFL season, and all he uses training camp for is to work on technique and the mental aspects. This might be an ok approach for a team with alot of veteran leadership, but we don't have that. Peter King even said that our training camp was much less physical than the ravens and the redskins after he visited a week or so ago. It just blows my mind that DJ refuses to make some changes to his approach knowing full well that his job is on the line. If it aint broke dont fix it, but in our case, if it's broke you gotta fix the damn thing.

And then Jauron will lament about all the injuries. Newsflash, injuries happen when guys are not conditioned.

I sort of think the question about goals and his answer about trying to be the best LT in the game, get to the Super Bowl, and continue to be draw accolades by his peers and go to the Pro Bowl spoke more about his work ethic than some contorted and convoluted extrapolation from a perceived slight of the Bills. The Bills collapsed as a team. Jason Peters doesn't have to take sole ownership of that crash and burn to show his "work ethic" doesn't suck. :w00t:

agreed that peter's wasn't solely reponsible for the bills collapse, but i think it's fair to assume in any team sport that you expect your all-star players to lead the team. my personal opinion is that missing all of training camp---and i'd think you agree that the consenus among coaches and players alike is that training camp is a huge part of the nfl season----and taking 5 games more or less to play into shape hardly represents 'lead by example'.

additionally, out of all the abused soles in the nfl last year, my recollection is only 2 sat out for an extended period of time. so, of all the great players playing throughout all the inadequate contracts in the league, good old jp was one of two out of 1700 that had a line in the sand to draw, and he ahd a boatload of time left on his deal.

it has nothing to do with a perceived slight---it has to do with the obligations the guy has to the team. if you're comfortable that he brought it all and laid it all out in 2008-2009---i respect your right to your opinion. for me, he failed in his part of the equation. my point above was simply to talk about the 5 game run and the collapse thereafter as it you had no part of the overall result is pretty hypocritical. finally, there's a ton of great players in the nfl who could argue they should renegotiate every year or two due to rookie salaries, new deals made by other players, etc.