Same ol' DICK!!

The one thing that angers me about Dick Jauron is that he doesn't coach to win football games, he coaches not to lose them! An oxymoronic statement I know, but hear me out. It appears to me that Jeff Fisher prepares his teams to be physical and to have fun. I mean to have a coach design a fake punt and execute it early in a meaningless pre-season game says much. He's telling his team in so many words that winning is good but let's have fun doing it. That play looks as though it elevated their level of play and deflated ours. The Titans wasn't able to gain a yard on the ground their first series, but ran the ball down our throat the second with an eventual Patron White TD run. I wonder if trying an onside kick the beginning of the game ever crossed Jauron's mind? If executed, what type of reception would he have gotten from his team and the multitude of Bills fans that graced the stands? What type of message would he have sent to other teams around the league? New coach, new philosophy. Not!!

No, just the same ol' Dick that doesn't try to pound that ball into the end zone with your revamped interior line. The same ol' Dick that uses the smallest player on his team to try to score a TD in the red zone. The same ol' Dick that's content to kick FG's. Can someone tell me why in the hell was Bruce Hall back returning punts/kickoffs? Shouldn't Omon, a draft choice, have been used to show his value/worth to the team? I mean if he's going to make the roster it's not going to be primarily as a 4th RB. I just want Jauron to show more innovation in his game planning and not the same stale s@!t we've endured the past couple seasons.

Can someone tell me why in the hell was Bruce Hall back returning punts/kickoffs? Shouldn't Omon, a draft choice, have been used to show his value/worth to the team?

This part is most ridiculous. Maybe because it's a !@#$ing pre-season game and Omon won't be returning kicks in the reg season anyway? I don't like Jauron either but wow, talk about nitpicking.

This part is most ridiculous. Maybe because it's a !@#$ing pre-season game and Omon won't be returning kicks in the reg season anyway? I don't like Jauron either but wow, talk about nitpicking.

More ridiculous than an on-side kick to start the game? Also, why risk injury by putting Roscoe, Leodis or Omon (a 2008 draft pick) back there...

The one thing that angers me about Dick Jauron is that he doesn't coach to win football games, he coaches not to lose them!

I would agree with this 100% in the regular season.....

But in pre-season I think the number one goal is to get your starters a little game tested and then evaluate the bubble talent. Winning the game should definitely be the least important thing for a coach until the real games start.

The one thing that angers me about Dick Jauron is that he doesn't coach to win football games, he coaches not to lose them! An oxymoronic statement I know, but hear me out. It appears to me that Jeff Fisher prepares his teams to be physical and to have fun. I mean to have a coach design a fake punt and execute it early in a meaningless pre-season game says much. He's telling his team in so many words that winning is good but let's have fun doing it. That play looks as though it elevated their level of play and deflated ours. The Titans wasn't able to gain a yard on the ground their first series, but ran the ball down our throat the second with an eventual Patron White TD run. I wonder if trying an onside kick the beginning of the game ever crossed Jauron's mind? If executed, what type of reception would he have gotten from his team and the multitude of Bills fans that graced the stands? What type of message would he have sent to other teams around the league? New coach, new philosophy. Not!!

No, just the same ol' Dick that doesn't try to pound that ball into the end zone with your revamped interior line. The same ol' Dick that uses the smallest player on his team to try to score a TD in the red zone. The same ol' Dick that's content to kick FG's. Can someone tell me why in the hell was Bruce Hall back returning punts/kickoffs? Shouldn't Omon, a draft choice, have been used to show his value/worth to the team? I mean if he's going to make the roster it's not going to be primarily as a 4th RB. I just want Jauron to show more innovation in his game planning and not the same stale s@!t we've endured the past couple seasons.

Whew...where to start.

1. Why would the team attempt a surprise onside kick in a preseason game and give every other team in the league a look at your set-up/formation on such a play that depends on surprise/trickery? (BTW, the Bills have executed surprise onside kicks during Jauron's tenure; look it up). Coach Fisher explicitly stated that he would probably never run such a play in the regular season - that's why he used his backup punter.

2. Even if Jauron did coax Coach April to show his hand in a meaningless game, it would have sent absolutely NO message to the rest of the league, besides, as I've said, providing them with some notes on the play that may hurt the Bills when it matters.

3. Return plays involve some of the most violent collisions in the game. Why risk injury to a premiere returner in the first preseason game of the year? B. Hall was used because he's nothing more than camp fodder who will probably be cut relatively early. To be fair to Hall, the coaches threw him in as the returner in order to give the kid a fair shot to show the coaches what he has; which is to say, unsurprisingly, nothing much.

You are way too fired up after one meaningless game 2 weeks into camp.

How about the fun factor and it's not like Xavier Omon will see the field in the regular season anyway. Profootballtalk says that Dominic Rhodes would have been returning kickoffs if not for the injury.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and you're probably right about Omon - our backfield is crowded. But you are going to have to describe this "fun-factor" you speak of in more detail. What does that mean? Trick plays? Throwing out our best returners in the preseason on the off chance they might take one to the house? The main points of these exhibition games are: 1) To evaluate the roster in order to make the right decisions when the staff has to cut the roster down to 53 in a few short weeks; and 2) to see how the offensive and defensive schemes are working in live game situations against novel opponents. "Putting on a show" is way down on the list and not just for the Bills - every team.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and you're probably right about Omon - our backfield is crowded. But you are going to have to describe this "fun-factor" you speak of in more detail. What does that mean? Trick plays? Throwing out our best returners in the preseason on the off chance they might take one to the house? The main points of these exhibition games are: 1) To evaluate the roster in order to make the right decisions when the staff has to cut the roster down to 53 in a few short weeks; and 2) to see how the offensive and defensive schemes are working in live game situations against novel opponents. "Putting on a show" is way down on the list and not just for the Bills - every team.

I think Jauron lacks the competitive 'fire' of a guy like Fisher. That's what drives me crazy. If Fisher embarrasses my team like that in the 1st pre-season game, I'm telling my team to go kick some a$$. That guy is laughing over on the other sidelines at us. There's a difference between controlling your emotions and actually allowing yourself to have any.

It's funny that both DJ and Jeff Fisher are former NFL DB's, with the latter have a short career. Then again, Jeff Fisher didn't win much in his first few years, so that makes it OK for DJ not to win in his first 3 years in Buffalo, right?

I thought it was interesting where Tennessee's strength lies: OL and DL. They draft there and even without Haynesworth should be formidable. The Bills have been taking skill players, and we're still concerned about both OL and DL. There's a trend there, and it begins with the HC.

I think Jauron lacks the competitive 'fire' of a guy like Fisher. That's what drives me crazy. If Fisher embarrasses my team like that in the 1st pre-season game, I'm telling my team to go kick some a$$. That guy is laughing over on the other sidelines at us. There's a difference between controlling your emotions and actually allowing yourself to have any.

They'll get another shot at these guys in November so I would rather have the players save that a55 kicking revenge for a game that counts.

Listen if the Bills head coaching job was vacant and you gave me the choice between Fisher and Jauron, I would choose Fisher, as would 99 out of 100 other random Bills fans you could ask. But that situation simply isn't the case. You and anybody else can bemoan that point all you want. I personally don't see the point in whining about it for years on end.

I was responding to the OP's contention that the "fun-factor" was missing in last night's game, and in Bills games in general. I personally enjoyed the game - seeing T.O. work as a Bill for the first time, looking at the rookies and seeing how they played against a live opponent and whatnot. I enjoy almost every game I attend or watch; I wouldn't pay over $900.00 a year for season tickets if I didn't. If you or the OP or anyone else need trick plays like on-side kicks, triple reverses, flea-flickers or what-have-you in order to have "fun" watching the Bills, it's my opinion you don't really know much about football and should maybe try another sport or activity.

I also highly doubt Fisher was laughing "at" us from the other sideline.

That hits the nail for me exactly. If you get abused like that you keep your starters in and abuse him to hell and back, or put your starters back onto the field in the 4th quarter. Or in anyway you do what it takes to take revenge. The nonsense that preseason games dont matter is exactly the attitude that keeps you out of the playoffs let alone superbowl. As a coach your job is to win, winning in a league like this where quality is about equal across the board begins with installing a winning mentality and that starts with giving it your all each and every game even if you'd be playing a pewees team. Winning is about attitude foremost, quality is second to attitude. I hear Dick say "we obviously wanted to win", followed by a but in the most boring and emotionless tone. That sentence makes me hungry to give him a motivational slap...

Coaching is all about attitude control, the fun factor as x factor is a driving motivator for succesfully installing a positive attitude as a good example. If you are having fun in your line of work aren't you doing more then when you are just trying to get to 5 o'clock?

I also highly doubt Fisher was laughing "at" us from the other sideline.

He was laughing because of self achievement, a.k.a. laughing the rookie pulled it off in such a great manner. The commentators said fisher had been talking about executing this play for years. I dont think was laughing at the expense of the Bills fans, if that were the case he would have been in totally the wrong mind set.

The nonsense that preseason games dont matter is exactly the attitude that keeps you out of the playoffs let alone superbowl.

Seriously?

Not sure how much you watch football but good preseason records almost never correlate with superbowl championships.

Seriously?

Not sure how much you watch football but good preseason records almost never correlate with superbowl championships.

I know, i know, the pre-season record doesn't matter, simply because both teams are experimenting with personell and as a result you arent getting a honest competitive matchup.

However to not even try the attempt to take it away for a home crowd and in the game that is there to pay homage to 2 of your inductees especially when you received the coaching version of a wedgie, can't be healthy.

So what if you put in your starters versus their 3rd stringers/camp fodder, should be great practise in getting in that quick and easy TD. In soccer the proteams often practise versus amateurs in order to achieve a maximum shootout, build team chemistry whilst having fun. The last drive in the 4th quarter caould have been used easily for that. Then go back into the lockerroom and build a positive vibe out of that.

Then again these are all pro athletes, even the camp fodder guys, they live to win. Yet the 2007 Giants took the superbowl as a team not by being the best of the best but purely on attitude, same can be said about the Ravens with the Lewis SB win.