Going to NYC...

Wooderson

Besides the usual Empire State Building and Statue of Liberty, what else is there to go see that is an interesting place to go see. I've read about some museums and Ferry tours, etc. Anyone have any good insider input on NYC attractions? Anything would help thanks.

Besides the usual Empire State Building and Statue of Liberty, what else is there to go see that is an interesting place to go see. I've read about some museums and Ferry tours, etc. Anyone have any good insider input on NYC attractions? Anything would help thanks.

We were there last Labor day for the weekend ... we did Times Square friday night. Saturday, we did all of lower Manhattan ... we got passes for the double decker tour bus. You see lots of stuff from the bus, but then can get off at different stops and explore. We got off at Central Park, Empire State Building, Battery Park, Chinatown / Little Italy.

If you are into no sooo tourist stuff you should check out the Chelsea Market and the Highline which are right around 14th and 10th ave.

Both are cool and different... Shows what is possible in a post industrail area, if Buffalo could do something half as nice as this in the habor area we'd be in great luck.

Best part about both is that they are both FREE...

http://www.chelseamarket.com/

http://www.thehighline.org/

Meatpacking district is near as well if you are in for a trendy bar scene... Son Cubanos is a very cool Cuban place to have a drink and even dinner.

Ground zero.

Whatever you do, don't ask any native New Yorkers to tell you where to go. :P

If you're doing the Empire State Building, head south a few blocks on 5th ave to 230 5th ave and take the elevator to the top. It is the best rooftop bar in the city and it has one of the best views of midtown.

Bingo on this. Was just there last weekend, best rooftop bar by far in Manhattan. Pricey though, 4 people, 8 drinks and a beer over $150 with tip. We got there about 7.30 and plenty of space, but seems like it gets reallyu reserved after about 9 or so.

For something a bit different, go to the Tenement Museum. Great expereince, the kids loved it as well. But, buy tickets now as they sell out if you wait till day you are there.http://www.tenement.org/

From there, go here for a mid afternoon snack. Fries are double fried, and the sauces are just outstanding. You can walk there from the Tenement Museum

http://www.pommesfrites.ws/

Last thinkg,if you are hankering for a Fred Flintstone type rib, go here http://www.daisymaysbbq.com/

and order the Oklahoma Rib. Now to me BBQ means pork, but this rib is something else. BTW, I have this guys cookbook, and while excellent, most of his recipes are a real pain in da ass.

If you are into no sooo tourist stuff you should check out the Chelsea Market and the Highline which are right around 14th and 10th ave.

Not to sound like a pric*% (which I know this does) but While i think the highline is cool, if i was not in the city much I would not spend the time to go there. Same with Chelsea Market...

if the moth has a show-- definately a cool NY experience. check out themoth.org. they are pretty cheap too. A

lso, you may want to try Carolines in the city for a cheap commedy show if possible. I went 2 weeks ago, my friend was performing a new talent night-- it was like $5, show started at 6:30 or 7. they had like 10 people perform. Some kicked a@@ others bombed, but it was cool

We were there last Labor day for the weekend ... we did Times Square friday night. Saturday, we did all of lower Manhattan ... we got passes for the double decker tour bus. You see lots of stuff from the bus, but then can get off at different stops and explore. We got off at Central Park, Empire State Building, Battery Park, Chinatown / Little Italy.

On that note - while hoaky it is worth doing the bus tour if only to see where you may elect to go back to and spend time the next day.

The NY Library is pretty cood and free - have luch out back in Bryant park and then you are only two blocks from times square.

Try the Pastrami at Katz's Deli.

was just thinking about mentioning this too! but for gods sake don't lose that little ticket they give you when you walk in the front door!

if you visit katz's you'll be right across the street from one of the best buffalo bars in the city: kelly's. not as exciting when a game isn't on, but worth a stop in for a beerski since you'll be right there.

i would also highly recommend a visit to McSorley's Tavern. it will be crowded on fri/sat nights but for good reason - it's one of the oldest bars in the city and a truly legendary place