(OT) My sons game last night is still bugging me.

ICE

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have coached (basketball, baseball) or umpired for more than 20 years, all volunteer. In all those years I have never had a problem with a kid. Sure they might complain a little over a call, but it has quickly stopped. In all those years I have only had 2 or 3 runins with parents. So I think most of the parents are good and those that aren't get most of the "press". One coach threatened to whoop my butt between innings of a babe ruth baseball game. He didn't try when I told him it would be my pleasure to let him trye. Not the smartest thing to say, but he kept his mouth shut the rest of the game and never left the bench. He was banned from the league for the rest of the year. The worst sport seems to be football. I remember going to high school football games as a teenager in a very small town. The team hadn't had a winning season in at least 25 years. Not even close. Yet on the sidelines were the adults, who grew up in the town losing all those games, yelling at the current coach (who had played college ball) and the players, some of them their own kids, all kinds of stuff. It was unbelievable. I vowed I would never treat any kid that way.

[People take this stevestojan way too seriously. Believe it or not I do NOT push my kids to be athletes. That is/ was MY path. (side note I even made all state BAND for Gods sake!) I let them choose.

109609[/snapback]

I agree ICE. The only time I tell him that he has to play, is after he starts playing. The one thing I hate is quiting after you have signed on. If he doesn't want to play that's fine, but I don't want him to take the easy way out everytime something gets difficult.

ICE, I'd say you did the right thing in this situation. It's unfortunate that behavior like that still goes on but it's often more deeply rooted than anything some confrontation between you and the "jedi" would have taken care of. I think the guy's wife being embarrassed about it says all you need to know about what needs to happen....

Not you the dildo Flomoe

109778[/snapback]

Ummm, okay, "Mr. above-calling-other-people-names," what did Flomoe say? Sounds like he was agreeing with you....

I do agree with your original post, but don't understand where this came from...

I have coached (basketball, baseball) or umpired for more than 20 years, all volunteer.  In all those years I have never had a problem with a kid. Sure they might complain a little over a call, but it has quickly stopped.  In all those years I have only had 2 or 3 runins with parents.  So I think most of the parents are good and those that aren't get most of the "press".  One coach threatened to whoop my butt between innings of a babe ruth baseball game.  He didn't try when I told him it would be my pleasure to let him trye. Not the smartest thing to say, but he kept his mouth shut the rest of the game and never left the bench.  He was banned from the league for the rest of the year.  The worst  sport seems to be football. I remember going to high school football games as a teenager in a very small town.  The team hadn't had a winning season in at least 25 years. Not even close.  Yet on the sidelines were the adults, who grew up in the town losing all those games, yelling at the current coach (who had played college ball) and the players, some of them their own kids, all kinds of stuff.  It was unbelievable.  I vowed I would never treat any kid that way.

109790[/snapback]

I've been thinking for some time about getting into refereeing kids football around here, but every time I hear stories like this I wonder if I reallly want to take that kind of abuse....

I coached my son in Little League for three years, both inner city and suburbs. There was a manager and two coaches one year. Each of us had a kid on the team. Rule #1 was that you did not coach your OWN son during the game, especially at the plate.  :lol:  Took pressure off the kid and they were less likely to argue with another adult.

I spoke to parents about ragging on their kids and was threatened more than once with bodily harm!  :(   Another time I had to go out to the pitchers mound and walk a parent off the field. He interrupted the game to advise our pitcher - who was not even his kid!  :lol: 

When my son turned 12 he said he really did not want to play anymore. I know part of the reasaon was peer pressure. I said "OK". Hell, I would have loved it if he was a sports nut but that was MY love, not his. He does other stuff and I could not be prouder. The last thing a 12 year old needs is that kind of pressure ON A GAME!!! He is 27 now and a fine man!  :D

The sort of it is - as you said ICE, "People take this stevestojan way too seriously."

109706[/snapback]

Great post!

My sons are 4 and 2. The older one, especially, may be getting into sports in the next year or so. I'll encourage them in whatever they choose...if it's sports, great. If not, that's fine too. I just fear that too many parents and coaches today lose sight of what it means for kids to play sports. These kids (and, evidently, the parents) need to learn how to win and lose gracefully and play within the team concept. When you're that young it shouldn't be all about winning and losing.

ICE, I think you handled that situation about as well as could be expected, under the circumstances. Kudos.

BTW, don't let the guy's comments get to you.

There's an old saying that I try to live by:

25% of the people you meet will like you for the wrong reasons.

25% of the people you meet will like you for the right reasons.

25% of the people you meet will dislike you for the wrong reasons.

25% of the people you meet will dislike you for the right reasons.

It's only the last 25% that should concern you.

I think that there should be mandatory gags for all spectators at youth sports. You can clap all you want but can't say anything. I get so tired of parents ragging on kids on their team, opposing team, coaches and referees.

As far as the Kill Whitey...reminds me of Garrett Morris on SNL playing a black convict at his parole hearing singing "I'm gonna get me a shotgun and kill all the whities I see".

I have coached (basketball, baseball) or umpired for more than 20 years, all volunteer.  In all those years I have never had a problem with a kid. Sure they might complain a little over a call, but it has quickly stopped.  In all those years I have only had 2 or 3 runins with parents.  So I think most of the parents are good and those that aren't get most of the "press".  One coach threatened to whoop my butt between innings of a babe ruth baseball game.  He didn't try when I told him it would be my pleasure to let him trye. Not the smartest thing to say, but he kept his mouth shut the rest of the game and never left the bench.  He was banned from the league for the rest of the year.  The worst  sport seems to be football. I remember going to high school football games as a teenager in a very small town.  The team hadn't had a winning season in at least 25 years. Not even close.  Yet on the sidelines were the adults, who grew up in the town losing all those games, yelling at the current coach (who had played college ball) and the players, some of them their own kids, all kinds of stuff.  It was unbelievable.  I vowed I would never treat any kid that way.

109790[/snapback]

Me and my dad(Pizza Dude at the Pinto) umpire all the time. We've been doing it for years and became friends with most of the players we umpire. The only problems we ever have is with parents getting into it too much.

As for the "take the white corners out" thing, that all goes away in high school and college where the best athlete is the one who plays. I play for Utica College and black guys have been benched for whie guys, and vice versa. Race leaves when you get older but there are always as*holes lookign for excuses.

BTW, tell Shaq's dad that Adam Archuleta(Rams SS) and Jason Sehorn are Pro Bowl WHITE defensive backs.

I think that there should be mandatory gags for all spectators at youth sports.  You can clap all you want but can't say anything.  I get so tired of parents ragging on kids on their team, opposing team, coaches and referees. 

As far as the Kill Whitey...reminds me of Garrett Morris on SNL playing a black convict  at his parole hearing singing "I'm gonna get me a shotgun and kill all the whities I see".

109874[/snapback]

A stoned Chris Farley character (who in the movie was the brother of a gubenatorial candidate) got ahold of a microphone at a concert and yelled "kill whitey" in "Black Sheep"

25% of the people you meet will dislike you for the right reasons.

It's only the last 25% that should concern you.

You and Lou Holtz have the same train of thought...per my sig below.

And while everyone here seems to be believe that Ice did the right thing, I am only left to note: Shaq's dad is right. I don't remember the last time I saw a white CB. :lol:

One coach threatened to whoop my butt between innings of a babe ruth baseball game.  He didn't try when I told him it would be my pleasure to let him trye. Not the smartest thing to say, but he kept his mouth shut the rest of the game and never left the bench.  He was banned from the league for the rest of the year.

I had a similar experience as a ref. The coach (who was also a ref in my association, but I never met him before) was giving me a hard time from the 2nd qtr through part of the 3rd. He kept saying things like, "This isn't the NFL rookie, he's not allowed to bump my receiver!" and "They're holding all game, you've got to make those calls!" It was on almost every single play. I asked him to stop a few times, but he kept going. Finally I had enough and the next time he yelled at me about a so called "bad call," I turned around and said, "Coach, those aren't penalties, but if you keep yelling like that I'll throw my flag for unsportsmanlike conduct." He was taken aback and I heard him tell his assistant coach, "Can you believe what he just said to me?!" But he was quiet the rest of the game...

In the parking lot after the game, he came up to me and appologized. He also told me that I was making the right calls and that he just got carried away. Still didn't appreciate what he was trying to do (taking advantage of a rookie ref), but it did help me ignore coaches more in the future. :lol:

CW

This topic I am sure will get me called certain names,  but I am going to lay it out as it was.

Last night my sons team is in the playoffs (7th Grade). The opposing team goes off on them like well... anyone through the Bills on a road game  :D  But the comments from the stands is what gets me.  One guy whos son is named Shaquille (Nope not kidding) is dressed in gangsta attire...OR thinks he is a Jedi Knight...

Anyway, he is screaming at this kid for the entire first series. Ripping him that he isn't making every damn play on Defense. (Note Shaq is one of the smallest kids on the team. a good 5" shorter than most and skinny but FAST. He is playing Safety at this time....)  So the other team runs a sweep...and scores.  What happens next is what gets me.

Ol' Buy is yelling at the coaches saying "Get those damn WHITE Cornerbacks outta there coach". "Hey coach...Get those damn WHITE CB's off the field..."  Ok so at this time I look at him and say "Hey...if you have an issue then do it on your own time...keep KIDS out of your personal issues"  He yells back "Well name for me a WHITE CB?  In any league on any team"  I Said "What the hell does this have to do with 7th Grade football?  So I kid you not the guy starts mumbling about "white kids this, white kids that...."

Here is the kicker, We are a 'magnet' school. You have to apply to get into our MS. and we still have this stupid stevestojan going on?  So now old boy takes his ass down to the track. And is yelling at his kid off and on all night (His jedi gansta hood up all night)  Of course the wife appologises to me and says "He is just upset at the game"  And I told her "No he isn't, it's something else and you know it."  She put her head down and said 'Yeah I know' .

Another note:Shaq is a damn good kid mostly. My son likes him and vice versa. Hell Shaq went to our coaches and bitched my son wasn't playing safety enough.  I will say if not for Shaq we wouldn't have been 9-1. Plays both ways and is one hell of an athlete, small but one hell of an athlete. As his dad was walking by I said "hey Shaq had one hell of a season"  Assclown pops off "The hell he did" and keeps walking.

I just don't understand why assclowns like him are still around. I bet that kid got his ass beat at home for us losing 44-0 (BTW....the whole damn team sucked for some reason....) AND he has to listen to how the ALL BLACK Coaching staff played a white guy at corner.

Sorry to vent but this is pure BS on many levels.  I just pray that Shaq doesn't grow up like his dad with the same deep planted hate.

109193[/snapback]

ICE, I know this might sound lame, but go read "Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff" or at least listen to the audio cd version of it. I used to get fired up over a lot of stuff (I am no mean saying that what you're pissed about isn't valid). I bought it on Itunes not that long ago and it really makes sense. I recommend it to anyone who needs a little perspective in life.

Ok, now I'm really starting to get fired up...

I think it's safe to say we're not going to kill whitey. Well, can we at least knock him out and jam a piece of popcorn in between two of his teeth, so he has it stuck there all damn day, and he cant reach it with his tounge, and it just bothers him all day, every minute, till he wants to go crazy?

This topic I am sure will get me called certain names,  but I am going to lay it out as it was.

Last night my sons team is in the playoffs (7th Grade). The opposing team goes off on them like well... anyone through the Bills on a road game  :D  But the comments from the stands is what gets me.  One guy whos son is named Shaquille (Nope not kidding) is dressed in gangsta attire...OR thinks he is a Jedi Knight...

Anyway, he is screaming at this kid for the entire first series. Ripping him that he isn't making every damn play on Defense. (Note Shaq is one of the smallest kids on the team. a good 5" shorter than most and skinny but FAST. He is playing Safety at this time....)  So the other team runs a sweep...and scores.  What happens next is what gets me.

Ol' Buy is yelling at the coaches saying "Get those damn WHITE Cornerbacks outta there coach". "Hey coach...Get those damn WHITE CB's off the field..."  Ok so at this time I look at him and say "Hey...if you have an issue then do it on your own time...keep KIDS out of your personal issues"  He yells back "Well name for me a WHITE CB?  In any league on any team"  I Said "What the hell does this have to do with 7th Grade football?  So I kid you not the guy starts mumbling about "white kids this, white kids that...."

Here is the kicker, We are a 'magnet' school. You have to apply to get into our MS. and we still have this stupid stevestojan going on?  So now old boy takes his ass down to the track. And is yelling at his kid off and on all night (His jedi gansta hood up all night)  Of course the wife appologises to me and says "He is just upset at the game"  And I told her "No he isn't, it's something else and you know it."  She put her head down and said 'Yeah I know' .

Another note:Shaq is a damn good kid mostly. My son likes him and vice versa. Hell Shaq went to our coaches and bitched my son wasn't playing safety enough.  I will say if not for Shaq we wouldn't have been 9-1. Plays both ways and is one hell of an athlete, small but one hell of an athlete. As his dad was walking by I said "hey Shaq had one hell of a season"  Assclown pops off "The hell he did" and keeps walking.

I just don't understand why assclowns like him are still around. I bet that kid got his ass beat at home for us losing 44-0 (BTW....the whole damn team sucked for some reason....) AND he has to listen to how the ALL BLACK Coaching staff played a white guy at corner.

Sorry to vent but this is pure BS on many levels.  I just pray that Shaq doesn't grow up like his dad with the same deep planted hate.

109193[/snapback]

You Da Man, ICE! Way to go...

Well.....I am going to offer somewhat of a different viewpoint here......

Since there are so many present and former parent coaches throwing their two cents in....I will throw you a scenario that happened no later then THIS YEAR

We play Inland Empire JAAF football down here (my son has 1 year left) and there was a severe uprise of parents from a few of the teams coaches...because they were volunteers and because they had the power....were starting their kids for the majority of the games and the rest of the kids were sitting on the bench with a "manditory 3 play rule"

Now we are talking about YOUTH FOOTBALL.....it is the same price for every family that participates (and its expensive) but we had certain teams in our town where the coaches felt it was perfectly fine to play THEIR OWN KIDS....not coach up the kids that had deficiencies....and throw them on special teams or whatever so that they satisfied the requirement......

They were very vindictive to...months ago when I saw that there were several kids on the team that were not being played and having talked to their parents on the sidelines and hearing how upset they were....I approached the head coach to talk to him about it.....now...my son was currently working out every day at center (he wasn't even getting to play defense which was beyond me as he is a former defensive MVP) but he had a position....I told this coach what the grumblings were and he did not take it very well even though I was courteous and talked to him alone....he made it like I WAS the one doing the complaining even though I was just relaying the concerns so that it didn't get out of hand......

The following day.....my son was off the line.....and playing on the scout team. No reason was given. In the next scrimmage game (against the Division 2 team we were Division 1) he got exactly 5 minutes of playing time....at the end of the game......at DT. Now...Division 2 was kicking our ASS....but the minute Brett went into the game....they couldn't even run their offense because he was in the backfield....2 tackles behind the line....1 sack...and one forced interception when they tried to throw a screen over him to keep him from shooting the game so quickly.......

Now.....this gets more interesting....realizing that something was sour I talked to the Divison II coach when they were finished...and he was salivating from the mouth at the thought of getting Brett...guess what....WHEN I TALKED TO HIS HEAD COACH ABOUT MOVING HIM HE WOULD NOT GIVE HIM HIS RELEASE......and in this league it has to be approved by both coaches.....so Brett's options were a. finish the season with this team....or b. quit.

Since Brett was not a quitter he finished the season....but what went on from that point to the end of the season was so demorilizing as he sat there (along with the kids I tried to stick up for) and watched these hand picked kids lose game after game after game....

One of our other parents (what did she have to lose) spoke up later and flat out accused the coaches of favoritism....and she had a perfect example....you could take the starting lineup of the team....cross reference it with who was coaching/responsible for what and cross reference it with the starting lineup.

Do you know what one of the Asst Coaches responses was? "well...if your son make plays in practice then they will get time in the games" this comes from a parent coach who's kid threw no less then an average of THREE INTERCEPTIONS PER GAME.....and still kept sticking him out there because he wasn't physical enough to play anywhere else and dropped everything thrown at him so he couldn't be a receiver.....

SOOOOOO.......to make a long story long yes.....beligerant parents ruin youth sports.....but so do coaches who show favoritsm at a level where ALL of the kids should be playing instead of caring about winning and losing (It didn't work anyway...the team missed the playoffs and there were so many upset parents they didn't even both to post the final scores)

One good thing that happened though.....the goings on of this year made my son even more determined to be a good fullback and linebacker.....and one of the freshman high school coaches hooked us up with a speed coach to work with....and he really knows his stuff.....

OK....my rant is done

That is a great rant John....Wow,,,Those coaches are really doing a dis-service to the kids...

Perhaps you and the other parents should contact the league directors and document this situation...

I remember your messages about your son's playing..I hope he gets with a good team and decent coaches next year

John the day I was though with team sports was my 8th grade year. When I was in 4th Grade my grandpa had his leg amputated. I stayed with him so my mom could work his cleaning job with my grandmother and missed my one start. The coaches never gave me a chance since then.

One day near the end of our 8th grade practice they brought over this kid thinking about transfering. We were running sprints etc. he was a black kid so they labeled him 'fast'. So we go through practice etc and they are just goo goo over this kids speed. I look at the coaches and flat out say 'he isn't that fast'. So I get the 'ok randell lets see what you can do'. 40 yards, beat him by 4 full yards. 100 yards Beat his ass by 10 yards. The kids dad took him back where he was going to transfer from and didn't transfer him. I was told that I wasn't a 'team player' and now got bumped down off of 2nd string! For being the fastest kid in school at the time! This is a no stevestojan deal it happened!

Bottom line, growing up the only kids to play were the coaches kids, so I understand completely. Fuggin !@#$s!