Why Does Transportation To And From Camp Suck So Bad?

I have been to camp every year since they moved to St. John Fisher, and yes the transportation has declined, but I don't see how one can complain. You park for free, round trip to and from the college for a measley $1 and camp is free. The ride is what maybe 7-10 minutes long? I come up each year from Virginia, where if I so desired I could go to Redskins camp and pay to park, pay to get into the camp and probably not have all the things set up for kids as well as food vendors, etc. Each year the Bills camp is regarded as one of if not the most fan friendly in the NFL, so "suffering" through a couple minutes of uncomfortable bus ride is the least of my worries. Go Bills!

You obviously are a person of great intellect and just as obviously you have never met Whiney Dan.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, it is a little more than that. This is a PR move by the Bills, and they use it as such. They make plans, schedule lots and buses, etc. It isn't something they have to do, but it is something they WANT to do, and they get plenty of mileage out of it. It behooves them to pay some attention to fan comfort if they count on positive PR.

I agree.

Also, the bus ride is not more than 5 mins long. It really isn't that bad.

Things were different when Wegmans was the sponsor. Busses no hassle. Tickets were easy to get.

Obviously, Danny was not making the margin he wanted to stay the sponsor. I agree it was easier when Wegmans ran it. Every year it is getting a little less convenient to get to camp, and it is not a freebie sample fair - but it is ten minutes from my house! I can't B word!

As far as parking at Nazareth or somewhere in town - prepare to get towed. Also, it is not like the area around RW stadium. Residents are not allowed to turn their lawns into parking lots.

Obviously, Danny was not making the margin he wanted to stay the sponsor. I agree it was easier when Wegmans ran it. Every year it is getting a little less convenient to get to camp, and it is not a freebie sample fair - but it is ten minutes from my house! I can't B word!

As far as parking at Nazareth or somewhere in town - prepare to get towed. Also, it is not like the area around RW stadium. Residents are not allowed to turn their lawns into parking lots.

Not sure if it was about margin (it's advertisement and, as such, it's hard to define the return on such an expense). I don't know what the story was as far as that relationship's demise. Anybody know the real story? Tim?

Definitely don't park on the street. I used to live on East Ave. (too long a walk with Jr.) and we drove to Naz and took the RTS back then.

RTS buses are no longer allowed to be used for shuttles at Bills camp, because the Federal government passed a law that prohibits federally-funded transit systems (like RTS) from providing service to sporting events or other events that would only incidentally serve the general public. The law was intended to ensure that publicly funded transit systems don't infringe on the private charter bus industry

Thus, no more air-conditioned rides to St. John Fisher College. It is not because Old Man Wilson is cheap, it is because they are now required to pay for a charter service.

Check this out;

There is no public parking on the St. John Fisher College

campus. Arrangements have been made with RTS to

provide fans with shuttle service from three public

parking lots. All lots are closed on weekends after the

first two weekends of camp. They are located at:

I wonder what it was like when SD was in grade school and had to take the bus to school. And all without any air conditioning save for the window.

I had to go to school? :unsure:

if you really wanted to you could park at Nazareth College or on a side street and walk down... but it would take longer

Sure if you don't mind picking up a towing fee and a cab ride.

Its barealy 80 degrees up there and NY is in the midst of one of the coldest July months on record, and you're bitching about AC?

Thanks dumbass. It's gonna be 90 degrees at 4pm and it rained a little earlier so it's humid as HELL!! Jackass!

I was one of the herd that braved the transportation fiasco, the ride wasnt the issue, they lumped 2 lots together and the line was terribly long. They they had a full size bus for another lot that only needed the small bus, it was a waste of space! not organized very well :wallbash:

RTS buses are no longer allowed to be used for shuttles at Bills camp, because the Federal government passed a law that prohibits federally-funded transit systems (like RTS) from providing service to sporting events or other events that would only incidentally serve the general public. The law was intended to ensure that publicly funded transit systems don't infringe on the private charter bus industry

Thus, no more air-conditioned rides to St. John Fisher College. It is not because Old Man Wilson is cheap, it is because they are now required to pay for a charter service.

This began with Laidlaw(now First Student) suing RTS for the right to transport city kids to school. So now thanks to the govt's infinate wisdom the taxpayers are required to cover the cost of bussing school kids over routes that RTS is already running. And this also includes sporting events. I could deal with the 7-10 minutes to camp, but RTS was also required to end its round trip runs to the Ralph. I travel to the games by my self and it was a nice option to take the RTS for $15.00, but there is no way I'm riding a school bus 4 hours round trip. I tried to find an alternate plan but you have to charter an entire bus which means finding people to fill it. I've bit the bullet and gone back to driving myself. I do miss the commaraderie on the bus. I don't think this ruling is state wide though as NFT in Erie county still run buses to and from the game. I may look to pick one up in Clarence this year and cut my drive time down a little.

Wow, so many replies and yet no one has mentioned the appropriateness of Steely riding the short bus. Did you get the seat right behind the driver? I know that's your favorite, the other kids can't pick on you when you sit by the driver.

There are some decent points made in this thread, but the bottom-line is that the there are people here complaining that what they are being given for practically nothing isn't good enough. You get what you pay for. There are cab companies, there are RTS buses that drop off right across the street from SJF.

What matters is that the attendance has been great.