Bills And Signing Their Draft Picks

H2o

Good article on front page of TBD this a.m. about the primary reason the Bills won't likely have all picks in camp by Saturday -- they're the first team to report (by four days), and most teams won't report for another week. With so many unsigned top picks, the "slotting" is not established and it's a more difficult process.

I wouldn't be surprised if the first week of camp does not include our top two or three picks -- and I won't be wringing my hands over it either. Bills' camp is a week longer this year.

Good article on front page of TBD this a.m. about the primary reason the Bills won't likely have all picks in camp by Saturday -- they're the first team to report (by four days), and most teams won't report for another week. With so many unsigned top picks, the "slotting" is not established and it's a more difficult process.

I wouldn't be surprised if the first week of camp does not include our top two or three picks -- and I won't be wringing my hands over it either. Bills' camp is a week longer this year.

FJNALLY A LUCJD THOUGHT

FLORIO "IS AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN A JOKE" ie,,, incompetent

Is it really that hard to set the market for draft picks when you have all the parameters pretty much given to you? Not trying to make a mountain out a molehill since most years this doesn't matter, but why not seize the advantage that extra week brings you. It just under-scores how this is not a dynamic organization.

I agree with you completely about any concern about not having our picks signed by the opening of our training camp.

I'll just mention 1 single fact... there is a MASSIVE difference between the currently signed lower round picks and the #1 overall pick! Slotting is very important for all the top 2 round picks. The Bills are screwed here because of the Hall of Fame game.

Maybin should not be in camp unless he is signed and that will probably not happen until he is near his slot in the signing process. Don't expext to see him untill when the rest of the training camps begin.

Slotting is perhaps the 1 thing the NFL has done correctly with the signing of rookie picks. Now if only they can figure out how to limit rookie salaries and prolong their tenure, we may have an even better product to enjoy!

I'm just saying.

It's OK. The Bills have left themselves with plenty of options and don't really need most of these guys right away.

Oh wait... :thumbsup:

The Bills have options. And since the Bills are starting camp early, the currently unsigned rookies in-effect won't be missing any more time than any of the other rookies.

Is it really that hard to set the market for draft picks when you have all the parameters pretty much given to you? Not trying to make a mountain out a molehill since most years this doesn't matter, but why not seize the advantage that extra week brings you. It just under-scores how this is not a dynamic organization.

Have you thought it might be the players agents who are holding this up?

Have you thought it might be the players agents who are holding this up?

it is COMPLETELY UNREASONABLE to think that there is anyone to blame for anything, other than the Bills FO.

anything that someone doesnt like is a direct failure by the FO and a sure indicator of their ineptness.

there is no one else that could possibly contribute to situations other than Ralph/Russ.

The Bills have options. And since the Bills are starting camp early, the currently unsigned rookies in-effect won't be missing any more time than any of the other rookies.

Yeah, but Wood and Levitre could REALLY use the work with the rest of the 1st team. It could make a huge difference if they could get those two in on time atleast.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...e-clock-poorly/

He does have a point. Though, we do still have 3 days :wallbash:

This has nothing to do with the rookies themselves or the inner-circle-jerks. It is all about the idiotic rookie payscale "system" in place, allowed to exist thanks to the owners and players' union. The agents for Maybin, Wood, Byrd and Levitre won't even text Brandon and Overdorff until they start seeing what other players drafted near them, combined with last years' players drafted in the same slots, all got paid and will end up being paid! Even if Overdorff did perfect mathematical calculations of that crap, and made very nice offers to those top 4 picks to get them into this first training camp of all 32 teams on time, (and we all know that won't happen), none of the agents have to agree to any of it until next week when they see what other players drafted near them signed for anyway!

The rookie payscale system is broke, non-sensical and stupid. And the fact that the Bills for some reason are the first to start camp this year, (even 4 days earlier then the Titans, the other team playing in the HOF game against them!), makes it basically impossible for any of those 4 top guys to start on time, unless any of them decided to come in without a signed contract. :wallbash::rolleyes::thumbsup:

Yeah, but Wood and Levitre could REALLY use the work with the rest of the 1st team. It could make a huge difference if they could get those two in on time atleast.

I don't disagree at all. And you think that Wood and Levitre would realize this themselves and want to be there from the get-go. So the problem isn't just on the Bills' side.

This has nothing to do with the rookies themselves or the inner-circle-jerks. It is all about the idiotic rookie payscale "system" in place, allowed to exist thanks to the owners and players' union. The agents for Maybin, Wood, Byrd and Levitre won't even text Brandon and Overdorff until they start seeing what other players drafted near them, combined with last years' players drafted in the same slots, all got paid and will end up being paid! Even if Overdorff did perfect mathematical calculations of that crap, and made very nice offers to those top 4 picks to get them into this first training camp of all 32 teams on time, (and we all know that won't happen), none of the agents have to agree to any of it until next week when they see what other players drafted near them signed for anyway!

The rookie payscale system is broke, non-sensical and stupid. And the fact that the Bills for some reason are the first to start camp this year, (even 4 days earlier then the Titans, the other team playing in the HOF game against them!), makes it basically impossible for any of those 4 top guys to start on time, unless any of them decided to come in without a signed contract. :wallbash::rolleyes::thumbsup:

bullseye

they need to establish a slotted system like the NBA has - make contract negotiations much more painless and get rookie contract dollar figures under control. The current system often makes a high pick a punishment when it was intended to be a benefit to a struggling franchise.

I don't disagree at all. And you think that Wood and Levitre would realize this themselves and want to be there from the get-go. So the problem isn't just on the Bills' side.

Darn their agents, darn them both to heck :thumbsup:

And if these two guys really want to start this year and if they are as intelligent as we are told then they should be telling their agents to get it done!

This game that goes on with most Round 1 and 2 picks needs to end (only 2 first round picks are signed). The next agreement should establish a dollar figure for each pick and then let them earn the monies rather than having untested rookies break the bank for nothing (which Subway are you at Mike Williams?).