Maybin's Stats For His Rookie Year

A quote from a recent Chris Brown article....

"As long as Maybin can force opponents to take some of their attention away from Aaron Schobel, and tally a half dozen sacks with 12-15 quarterback hurries in the process it will be a relatively successful rookie season."

Is 6 sacks asking too much for a rookie who may not be an every down player?

What do you all think?

"As long as Maybin can force opponents to take some of their attention away from Aaron Schobel, and tally a half dozen sacks with 12-15 quarterback hurries in the process it will be a relatively successful rookie season."

What do you all think?

I personally think the above stats would be a very successful rookie season.

I'm expecting something like: 2.5-3 sacks, ~5-10 "hurries" and 15-20 tackles.

What do you all think?

The sacks sounds high to me. Still...luck, and being in the right spot at the right time happens. I'm looking forward to how he does in run support.

6 sacks is asking a lot out of Maybin, especially in the past couple of years, the top rookie DEs (not 3-4 OLBs) have been coming in at about 6 sacks. I'd love it if he could rack up that many. More importantly, i think he needs to generate pressure on the opposing QB. If he can get a few pressures per game and force quick/bad throws, thats just as important as a sack.

My prediction: I think 3-4 sacks is a realistic expectation, with 95% of the board calling him a bust when he's only got 2 sacks in the first 10 games.

I could care less what his sack total is, so long as he's disruptive when he's in there.

Agreed if he gets 6 sacks all to himself, I'll have wood.

But, if it's clear that other players' sack totals are going up with him in the game, or we get more picks with him in there, or our opponents struggle to convert on 3rd and long (for a change), or if we shut down the run, then I don't care if doesn't get a single sack all season.

well, if history shows us anything, maybin like any other "star" rookies on the bills d in the last 5 years, will be injured by week 8 and miss the rest of the season

Ok, there's Poz. Name another.

And I think 25 sacks, 3 INTs, or else he will be a bust.

Playing time is the key this year...If Maybin sees the field a lot it means the coaches think he's doing well

After a quick look through the top 50 sack leaders from 08, I found only the following players beat 6 sacks their rookie year.

Ware

Peppers

Freeney

Williams

Ellis

Suggs

Can’t imagine a bills fan who wouldn’t be happy if he gets there, but predicting that kind of rookie success seems baseless.

To add context from the Bills perspective, Bruce had 6.5 his rookie year as did Scheobel. Phil Hanson had 2.

Ok, there's Poz. Name another.

And I think 25 sacks, 3 INTs, or else he will be a bust.

He hasn't shown :devil: so far. He's already a bust.

Seriously though, I will be happy with him just getting in the way during his rookie season.

Playing time is the key this year...If Maybin sees the field a lot it means the coaches think he's doing well

Additionally,

Jets fans love to compare Vernon Gholston to Mario Williams because they didn't have a lot of sacks their rookie year. The difference was that Gholston was so brutal he barely got on the field his rookie year.

So that's why I said playing time.

Maybin will get 6 sacks. Most will come at the begining of the year. Mid to late season is tough on rookie Dlineman. I like his chances, he is quick as hell, should have a healthy Schobel playing on opposite side from him. Stroud will provide some interior pocket collapsing. Schobel will command more attention early on, till Maybin makes some sacks. The secondary should be good enough for a couple coverage sacks.

I think ironically that Maybin's totals will be as much or more of a test of Fewell and the D braintrust as it will be of Maybin's talent.

I think Maybin has demonstrated the collegiate performance and weight stats that the Bills could employ him in a manner that we could see some pretty wild production from him (for example, I think he may quick enough that we might be able to use him to buttress our too weak LB group and produce great sack numbers from being used as an OLB, but we would have to see how he took to such non-DL use.

I think the big problem may actually be that Maybin has such a unique brand of skills that the only way to use him effectively may be in a spot role as a 3rd down rusher.

Particularly if he is utilized as a DL player, I think the open question is whether he demonstrates enough strength at the point of attack that his being in the line-up simply demands the opposing team take advantage of him by running right through him. If he does not show strength at the point of attack, it will limit the Bills to using him only on 3rd and long where the opposing team will never run on him because even if successful it would give them 5-10 yards when what they need is 10-15.

He has to show he can stand up to the run and he will inflate his sack numbers with a few on 2nd down or otherwise he can only watch on 2nd downs or 3rd and short because the Bills will not put him in.

Likewise, he needs to show ability to cover the pass in the shortzone as this is a method we often employ Schobel to do. If he can only sack and cannot cover then it further limits the amount he will play. This would reduce his sack #s and also allow OL players to simply concentrate on stopping the rush because that is all he is n there to do.

I think he has shown in college that in fact he can stop the run and that he may be able to cover the pass as well.

We shall see what is reasonable at all to demand/expect from him depending upon how he allows the Bills to use him and whether the braintrust is smart enough to use him well in a D mode.

If Maybin has 6 or more sacks consider it a promising and successful rookie year. IF Maybin can get 3-5 sacks his rookie year he will have an average rookie season. I think Maybin needs to get at least 3 sacks this year. Its realistic to expect 3-5 sacks and hope for 6 or more.

I think a more accurate look at Maybin is to see how many times he can pressure and hurry the QB and at least hold up OK against the run. Sacks are sometimes based off of luck so it sometimes becomes a little arbitrary of a number.

After a quick look through the top 50 sack leaders from 08, I found only the following players beat 6 sacks their rookie year.

Ware

Peppers

Freeney

Williams

Ellis

Suggs

Can’t imagine a bills fan who wouldn’t be happy if he gets there, but predicting that kind of rookie success seems baseless.

To add context from the Bills perspective, Bruce had 6.5 his rookie year as did Scheobel. Phil Hanson had 2.

Shawne Merriman wasn't among the 2008 sack leaders because he only played one game last year due to injury. That said he had 10 sacks during his rookie year of 2005 and has 39.5 sacks in 43 career games played.

Shawne Merriman wasn't among the 2008 sack leaders because he only played one game last year due to injury. That said he had 10 sacks during his rookie year of 2005 and has 39.5 sacks in 43 career games played.

is that with the light switch turned on or off?