Langston Walker

of becoming an average to better than average LT, or is he our "dirty little secret" of 2009?

We need big production from him. With TO and Evans on the outside, this team is obviously going to want to pass. There is every chance that Walker will be playing next to a rookie, whereas I think that Levitre will wind up starting at LG. Personally, I'm not all that sure that he won't lose his job to Chambers at some point. Sorry, he simply appears to be way too overweight to be a good LT in this league. I am not seeing the required agility to face speed rushers every game.

The good news is that he will almost certainly be motivated by ca$h. If he has a big year at LT, it will (as we well know) more than likely translate into a new, huge contract either here or someplace else. More good news is that Chambers is probably not such a big drop in terms of playing ability.

I am curious as to how you people think Walker will fare in 09. Any predictions?

I think he has a decent chance to be pretty good, Bill. Furthermore, I think those chances increase to over 50% if the interior proves to be significantly improved.

He isn't the athlete Peters is, but he seems to be a guy that works hard and does what is asked with relative gusto. I predict he will be the 2nd best LT the Bills have had in a few years. I think he will be better than Gandy, former Bill and LT for a SB team, last year.

I like his chances of being an average LT. I'm worried about his run blocking more than pass protection. For a big fat guy, he has decent agility. Oddly enough, I think his weakness is strength. Langston has a nice opportunity to put some cash in his pocket. He's a smart guy and knows that this could parlay into a nice contract. IMO, it won't be for lack of effort on his part. I'm also a fan of Chambers. He's not spectacular but is a solid backup/vet.

FWIW, we have the smartest o-line in the NFL. Yes, they are inexperienced but knowing eachothers assignments shouldn't be a problem. The learning curve could be alot shorter than many think.

I like his chances of being an average LT. I'm worried about his run blocking more than pass protection. For a big fat guy, he has decent agility. Oddly enough, I think his weakness is strength. Langston has a nice opportunity to put some cash in his pocket. He's a smart guy and knows that this could parlay into a nice contract. IMO, it won't be for lack of effort on his part. I'm also a fan of Chambers. He's not spectacular but is a solid backup/vet.

FWIW, we have the smartest o-line in the NFL. Yes, they are inexperienced but knowing eachothers assignments shouldn't be a problem. The learning curve could be alot shorter than many think.

You (and others) raise good points and leave reason for optimism.

I like Chambers, but NOT at Guard. Guards face stronger defenders as a rule and have less time to get set. As you say, OTs need to be more agile. Watching Chambers at Guard last season was painful, but he is probably as good as it gets in terms of a backup LT, and they were very lucky to re-sign him imo.

I would feel a lot better about the situation if I knew that Jauron would be gone next season because a coach with any football sense would address this position asap. MaGee will be gone and Whitner's days as a Bill are probably numbered as well, so there goes a couple of first round picks if Dumbo isn't fired. :lol:

of becoming an average to better than average LT, or is he our "dirty little secret" of 2009?

We need big production from him. With TO and Evans on the outside, this team is obviously going to want to pass. There is every chance that Walker will be playing next to a rookie, whereas I think that Levitre will wind up starting at LG. Personally, I'm not all that sure that he won't lose his job to Chambers at some point. Sorry, he simply appears to be way too overweight to be a good LT in this league. I am not seeing the required agility to face speed rushers every game.

The good news is that he will almost certainly be motivated by ca$h. If he has a big year at LT, it will (as we well know) more than likely translate into a new, huge contract either here or someplace else. More good news is that Chambers is probably not such a big drop in terms of playing ability.

I am curious as to how you people think Walker will fare in 09. Any predictions?

You're basically asking how Walker matches up against:

* Richard Seymour and Adalius Thomas

* Starks, Merling and Joey Porter

* Marques Douglas and Calvin Pace (Pace will be back for the October game)

I think Langston is going to have trouble with the Pats and Phins, for sure, but might be OK against the Jets.

Seriously, have you seen the belly on Langston?

How many LTs look like that?

He will probably be OK against guys who are not particularly fast and quick. You don't really easily overpower Langston, and that's good. But at LT, he will almost certainly require a lot of help against speed rushers. If you help him with a chip block, you seriously hurt the possibility of that guy's route being successful. And if you keep an extra guy in consistently to help, you invite the defense to rush an extra guy.

Hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it.

I think Walker's success, as well as that of the entire line, comes down to one person. Trent Edwards.

On any given pass play, he'll have Evans, TO, Reed/Parish/Johnson, and a RB/TE as dumpoff. Someone will be open. The key, however, is recognizing the coverage and/or blitz package pre-snap and making the throw quick. How did Warner survive last season with the horrible Gandy at LT? How did Manning survive 2 years ago with a rookie LT? They did it by making good pre-snap reads and getting the ball out quick.

If Trent is dropping back and scanning the field for an open receiver, we're screwed regardless of who's at LT. I would love to hear that in camp someone has a clock on him... 1, 2, 3, throw. It should be that quick.

I'd like to give an honorable mention to Shonert. If he can call a decent game, develop a few plays that aren't diagrammed in the first 5 pages of Football for Dummies, maybe we can actually keep a defense guessing a little. Thereby, giving our line a slight edge because defenders can't just stack the line knowing exactly where the run is going.

I think it'll be evident by halftime of the opener whether Walker can be counted on to be average at LT. He's not a guy who can be left alone to handle opponents' best pass rushers and will require plenty of support from a TE. That alone will influence much of what Buffalo does on offense and limits their options in the passing game.

The idea of a guy moving from RT to LT in his 8th NFL season is not a comforting one. I hope he shows up for camp at about 30 pounds less than where he played last season.

It's a huge concern. He's not athletic enough to play LT. But...

Like you, I am oddly confident in Chambers for pass protection at LT. He did very well when Peters was holding out and in sub action (when PEters was being benched for punking out in a few games).

Also, he won't have a useless POS blob next to him so that should help Walker focus more on the end rush.

Still, it's the biggest concern for me this season. I am not convinced that he can pass protect or be a particularly effective run-blocker. I'm hopeful that the rest of the line is better and will make up for the LT deficiency.

If the Bills are unsuccessful next season it will be because of the LT position. We are solid and pretty deep everywhere else. It is our weakness and it is a huge one. To think that Langston Walker can adequately fill Jason Peters' shoes is simply absurd. We have a team that could be a SB contender if not for the LT position. You don't want the 8 year vet relying on help from rookies, that really should be the other way around. But that is what is going to happen. Walker can not man the position on his own. Jason Peters could, and that simple truth is why he was so highly valued by the rest of the world.

I'm as much of a Bills optimist as anyone but you won't catch me stupidly posting comments about how Langston Walker is an upgrade at LT. The way to beat the Bills is going to be to take advantage of our glaring holes on the O-line, none of which glares quite as strongly as Langston Walker, and believe me Belichick and basically every other coach in the league are not going to fail to realize that.

If the Bills win, it will be in spite of the offensive line and in particular Langston Walker, not because of it.

It's a huge concern. He's not athletic enough to play LT. But...

Like you, I am oddly confident in Chambers for pass protection at LT. He did very well when Peters was holding out and in sub action (when PEters was being benched for punking out in a few games).

Also, he won't have a useless POS blob next to him so that should help Walker focus more on the end rush.

Still, it's the biggest concern for me this season. I am not convinced that he can pass protect or be a particularly effective run-blocker. I'm hopeful that the rest of the line is better and will make up for the LT deficiency.

Chambers did well filling in for Walker while Walker was doing well filling in for Peters while Peters was out. At least that's how it was all last offseason and in the opener against the 'Hawks last season.

GO BILLS!!!

Chambers did well filling in for Walker while Walker was doing well filling in for Peters while Peters was out. At least that's how it was all last offseason and in the opener against the 'Hawks last season.

GO BILLS!!!

You are correct sir!

I think Walker's success, as well as that of the entire line, comes down to one person. Trent Edwards.

On any given pass play, he'll have Evans, TO, Reed/Parish/Johnson, and a RB/TE as dumpoff. Someone will be open. The key, however, is recognizing the coverage and/or blitz package pre-snap and making the throw quick. How did Warner survive last season with the horrible Gandy at LT? How did Manning survive 2 years ago with a rookie LT? They did it by making good pre-snap reads and getting the ball out quick.

If Trent is dropping back and scanning the field for an open receiver, we're screwed regardless of who's at LT. I would love to hear that in camp someone has a clock on him... 1, 2, 3, throw. It should be that quick.

I'd like to give an honorable mention to Shonert. If he can call a decent game, develop a few plays that aren't diagrammed in the first 5 pages of Football for Dummies, maybe we can actually keep a defense guessing a little. Thereby, giving our line a slight edge because defenders can't just stack the line knowing exactly where the run is going.

That's a great point and often overlooked. QBs and the oline work together to make each other look better. There's a reason why certain QBs can get sacked less often with the same oline (Trent vs. JP, Flutie vs. RJ). If anything, with the playmakers we have, we should welcome teams blitzing. The thought of getting a db one one with TO or Lee is one we all would love to see.

Additionally, the left tackle position has become the most overrated position in football. Yes, they are very important. But how do you explain 3 rookies stepping in and becoming pro bowl caliber last season? In fact, one of those LTs (Sam Baker) was panned by draft "experts" who didn't think he was a 1st rounder. Additionally, Walker played very well against one of the best pass rushers in the NFL in the opener against Seattle in Patrick Kerney. He will be fine.

If the Bills are unsuccessful next season it will be because of the LT position. We are solid and pretty deep everywhere else. It is our weakness and it is a huge one. To think that Langston Walker can adequately fill Jason Peters' shoes is simply absurd. We have a team that could be a SB contender if not for the LT position. You don't want the 8 year vet relying on help from rookies, that really should be the other way around. But that is what is going to happen. Walker can not man the position on his own. Jason Peters could, and that simple truth is why he was so highly valued by the rest of the world.

I'm as much of a Bills optimist as anyone but you won't catch me stupidly posting comments about how Langston Walker is an upgrade at LT. The way to beat the Bills is going to be to take advantage of our glaring holes on the O-line, none of which glares quite as strongly as Langston Walker, and believe me Belichick and basically every other coach in the league are not going to fail to realize that.

If the Bills win, it will be in spite of the offensive line and in particular Langston Walker, not because of it.

Our LT last year allowed 11.5 sacks in 13 games, including 4 that caused game turning plays. I'm not going to say Walker is an upgrade talent wise over Peters but Peters was a pro bowler in name allowed. He was pretty terrible.

Dan, I would think that an effective, real running game is the top need for this offense, or else they will tee off on Trent all day long.

I would feel much better about Walker at LT if he had a better attitude about it. Up until now, it has sounded like he is doing it because he has to and has not really embraced the challenge. That is a recipe for failure.

Use Stram's moving pocket.

That's a great point and often overlooked. QBs and the oline work together to make each other look better. There's a reason why certain QBs can get sacked less often with the same oline (Trent vs. JP, Flutie vs. RJ). If anything, with the playmakers we have, we should welcome teams blitzing. The thought of getting a db one one with TO or Lee is one we all would love to see.

Additionally, the left tackle position has become the most overrated position in football. Yes, they are very important. But how do you explain 3 rookies stepping in and becoming pro bowl caliber last season? In fact, one of those LTs (Sam Baker) was panned by draft "experts" who didn't think he was a 1st rounder. Additionally, Walker played very well against one of the best pass rushers in the NFL in the opener against Seattle in Patrick Kerney. He will be fine.

Kerney is the left DE, so he plays against the RT. The right DE last year, who was up against Langston, was Lawrence Jackson. Jackson had two sacks all of last year. Way to go, Langston, for stopping this ravening sack monster.