No-huddle/DICK = oil/water

I am really having a lot of trouble envisioning a Jauron team using the no-huddle offense. He barely tolerates having a conventional offense.

The no-huddle begs for a 3-and-out series if a play doesn't click.

The Bills defense probably cannot survive too many appearances on the turf. The front seven is not a force by any stretch of the imagination. McGee is OK, but Greer is going to be sorely missed. Leodis is an exceptional athlete, but both he, and especially Drayton Florence tend to leg whip themselves to the turf when confronted with a double move. Youboty is problematic, since he cannot seem to stay healthy. This fact alone will keep a safety out of the box, and keep the LBs back on their heels thinking about their duties in the zone coverage scheme of the Tampa 2.

Question: If the Bills try the no-huddle at all, how long before Dick puts it back on the shelf?

I am really having a lot of trouble envisioning a Jauron team using the no-huddle offense. He barely tolerates having a conventional offense.

The Bills defense probably cannot survive too many appearances on the turf. The front seven is not a force by any stretch of the imagination. McGee is OK, but Greer is going to be sorely missed. Leodis is an exceptional athlete, but both he, and especially Drayton Florence tend to leg whip themselves to the turf when confronted with a double move. Youboty is problematic, since he cannot seem to stay healthy. This fact alone will keep a safety out of the box, and keep the LBs back on their heels thinking about their duties in the zone coverage scheme of the Tampa 2.

Question: If the Bills try the no-huddle at all, how long before Dick puts it back on the shelf?

Why is Billisadick still here?

Edwards, in his 2nd start against the Ravens, ran the no huddle. He is the best and most trusted QB that Jauron has ever had.

Edwards/Schonert came out the 2008 gate like gunslingers. They exited like TD-free mice.

Anybody doubt that was Jauron's thumb?

Personally, I think Adrian Wilson also had an affect.

Have you ever considered the advantage of the no-huddle? It gives Dick Jauron no time to get involved and have to think. If he can't decide whether to throw a replay flag in time, how is he supposed to make a decision while the team is in the no-huddle? But when the Bills run the no-huddle, Jauron is out of the equation. It's all on Edwards, and some on Schoenert. No Dick? No problem.

PTR

Have you ever considered the advantage of the no-huddle? It gives Dick Jauron no time to get involved and have to think. If he can't decide whether to throw a replay flag in time, how is he supposed to make a decision while the team is in the no-huddle? But when the Bills run the no-huddle, Jauron is out of the equation. It's all on Edwards, and some on Schoenert. No Dick? No problem.

PTR

Excellent points, well made. I just think Dick doesn't really believe in delegating authority, even when he's out of his element (offensive football).

Non sequitor: Didn't you love Buddy Ryan going off on Kevin Gilbride?

Sounds like you're confusing the no-huddle with a hurry-up offense. I won't insult your intelligence by explaining. It will be used to prevent defensive substitutions that will allow the offense to take advantage of certain matchups, especially in less manageable down/distance situations.

As for the defense, we play a cover-2 less than 25% of the time, so I'm not sure what you're point is relative to the LBs and their drops.

As for McKelvin, he's going to be our best corner and I hope and pray teams pick on him early and often to learn the lesson the hard way. He'll get burned from time to time like all CBs, great and average will, but what he has athletically cannot be taught.

GO BILLS!!!

PTR

Small point but the call to challenge comes from upstairs.

Sounds like you're confusing the no-huddle with a hurry-up offense. I won't insult your intelligence by explaining. It will be used to prevent defensive substitutions that will allow the offense to take advantage of certain matchups, especially in less manageable down/distance situations.

As for the defense, we play a cover-2 less than 25% of the time, so I'm not sure what you're point is relative to the LBs and their drops.

As for McKelvin, he's going to be our best corner and I hope and pray teams pick on him early and often to learn the lesson the hard way. He'll get burned from time to time like all CBs, great and average will, but what he has athletically cannot be taught.

GO BILLS!!!

Sounds to me like you've yet to figure out that Frewell plays an old school version of the Tampa 2 scheme, which relies on zone coverage involving the 3 LBs, CBs and safeties. Every team in the league routinely uses the cover 2 (in sure passing situations), which merely refers to the relative responsibilities of the CBs and safeties.

The Bills practically never leave a CB on an island in sustained single coverage (since Clements left). In fact, the CBs even play about 8 yards off the line at the snap.

How many CB blitzs did the Bills record since Frewell took over? How many CB stuffs? It's been a very long time since the days of watching Antoine Winfield work his magic at the line.

Sounds to me like you've yet to figure out that Frewell plays an old school version of the Tampa 2 scheme, which relies on zone coverage involving the 3 LBs, CBs and safeties. Every team in the league routinely uses the cover 2 (in sure passing situations), which merely refers to the relative responsibilities of the CBs and safeties.

The Bills practically never leave a CB on an island in sustained single coverage (since Clements left). In fact, the CBs even play about 8 yards off the line at the snap.

How many CB blitzs did the Bills record since Frewell took over? How many CB stuffs? It's been a very long time since the days of watching Antoine Winfield work his magic at the line.

Old school version of the Tampa-2. I like that. Makes no sense but I like it.

I'm well acquainted with the Cover-2 defense. Have been since it's inception by the Steelers in the 70s. Also aware of the deeper drops required by LBs in the Tampa version. But thanks for letting me know anyways.

Back to my post, the Bill use it less than 25 % of the time. Why? Lots of reasons. Most have to do with offensive alignment, regardless of down/distance (obvious passing situation or not).

Here's a little quiz: What's the BEST way to ensure a team can't play a cover-2 zone, let alone a Tampa version against you?

Quick answer: Line up in a 3 wide alignment. Makes it impossible or simply stupid to try. I won't say what happens when you add a 4th or sometimes 5th WR, a la NE* but I'm sure you get the drift.

As for you last point about Fewell running a CB blitz: several times last season, especially while Youboty was in the line-up.

GO BILLS!!!

Old school version of the Tampa-2. I like that. Makes no sense but I like it.

By old school, I meant that Fewell started off for two years imagining that he could play the 7 man soft zone even though he had no horses to pressure the QB.

Old school = Kiffin/Dungy/Lovie with Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks, and simeaon Rice producing mayhem.

Tripplett and McCargo didn't quite measure up, and the Bills skated on Ngata.

As for you last point about Fewell running a CB blitz: several times last season, especially while Youboty was in the line-up.

GO BILLS!!!

According to NFL.com, there was 1 sack recorded by Youboty, the only by a CB. I seem to recall Reggie Corner coming in a few as well. So yeah, I'd say some CB blitzes were definitely run last year. The first few games of the season Perry was bringing the house on blitzes. I'm sure at least of few of the guys coming were corners.

GO BILLS!!! indeed

According to NFL.com, there was 1 sack recorded by Youboty, the only by a CB. I seem to recall Reggie Corner coming in a few as well. So yeah, I'd say some CB blitzes were definitely run last year. The first few games of the season Perry was bringing the house on blitzes. I'm sure at least of few of the guys coming were corners.

GO BILLS!!! indeed

Fewell's been sending DBs since he got to Buffalo. But when people want to make a point it can be difficult to accept freely given help on the matter.

GO BILLS!!!

Fewell's been sending DBs since he got to Buffalo. But when people want to make a point it can be difficult to accept freely given help on the matter.

More help, please:

Would you say that Frewell has his corners play tight coverage right from the line, and some bump-and-run, or rather do they play back off the line by several yards? If both, what would say the average ratio is (back off/tight)?

More help, please:

Would you say that Frewell has his corners play tight coverage right from the line, and some bump-and-run, or rather do they play back off the line by several yards? If both, what would say the average ratio is (back off/tight)?

Not sure what this has to do with sending CBs on blitzes but Fewell BY FAR has his CBs playing off the LOS well more than most of the time. Would VERY SELDOM qualify as a ratio?

The more important question is, why? Fewell's philosophy probably plays the biggest role. He's definately a bend don't break DC. Lot has to do with down/distance. Much has to do with the receivers we play (you DON'T press Moss and get away with it too often) and the alignments we face. Lot has to do with the responsibilities relative to the other players for the defense called. And I'm not convinced and perhaps Fewell isn't as well, that we have the CBs that can succeed in press coverage more often than not. McGee's size is a liability for sure. And other than Florence, there's a question of experience at the other spots.

Let me ask you a question: why do you think it's so important? What makes you think that playing loose is a bad thing? Is it the quick slant that drives you crazy? Why is press coverage an advantage for our team as presently constituted?

GO BILLS!!!

Its a bold strategy Cotton lets see if it pays off.