Trent Edwards=Chad Pennington?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God here you guys go again. TRENT EDWARDS DOESN'T HAVE ARM STRENGTH PROBLEMS. Go watch highlight tape. Pennington is a frickin noodle arm.

Here is a video. Go to the 36 second mark and watch the throw. He threw it 40 yards with not much arm to laser it in to Lee Evans. That is a very hard throw to do. Same Video at the 1:20 Mark he throws it 60 yards with not much air on it. The ball was still in the camera view. Same video 1:41 mark he almost overthrows Roscoe Parrish and he had a guy climbing on his back. It was a 50 yard pass or so.

You guys think that because he isn't throwing 80 yard downfield TD's that he doesn't have arm strength. I bet you 100 dollars he can throw that far but guess what he will never do it in a game because it almost never happens.

I challenge you guys to pick any QB you want. I will find a highlight tape and show you that nobody is throwing farther than Trent in a football game.

You guys are fooled by his release. It is very fast compared to someone like losman who has full body windup when he throws the long ball. Trent Edwards doesn't have to do that due to his compact release.

Maybe someday but for now that is just wishful thinking.

Correct. In terms of skill set and style. Also, I believe (and I hope to be proven right), trajectory. Remember that Brees was very inconsistent his first few years with the Chargers. The Saints are thrilled that the Chargers jettisoned him.

If you look the skill sets both Edwards and Pennington they are similar (they both are accurate passer who make good decisions even if they are more cautious). Both have injury histories and concerns about arm strength. While Edwards doesn't have quite the veteran status of Pennington they both are shaping up to be similar players.

The only people questioning Trent's arm strength are a few clueless people on this board, and then posters (or sheep) like you join the brigade and make nonsensical posts about his arm strength. Trent Edwards can make all the throws, there is nothing wrong with his arm strength. To compare his arm to Chad Pennington is ridiculous.

I see very few Bills' games. They are seldom aired here in Cincy, as I suppose CIN games seldom show up on WNY television. Zero in '06. 3 in '07, and zero again in '08.

Some posters here implied that when he came back from his concussion last season, he looked gun-shy. Was that a valid observation?

The first game back against San Diego he played spectacular. However the games to follow, the wheels came off. He had trouble throwing routine passes to wide open people. Once this began his confidence fell apart. After following a discussion about non-linear post-concussion syndrome, his symptoms seemed text book as he had difficulty performing routine plays.

Both have injury histories and concerns about arm strength.

trent at this point has much better arm strength then pennington, its really not a comparision. Chad is a better decision maker, and that comes from being on the bench for a couple years and tutoring under other QBs. Watch Pennington, he can not make a good 10 yard out throw, thats where he throws most of his INTs because he can't get anything on it. Trent can make this throw, as well as a 50yd bomb no problem. chads max at this point without putting a lot of air on it is about 40.

Also, chad was a far more polished college qb then trent and was at a better program. injury wise, trent's not nearly the same because pennington has major shoulder problems, leading to his lack of arm strength. Trents are more a variety of nicks and nacks.

trent needs to be more consistent and a better decision maker. the no huddle will hilp. with a good o-line, 20tds, 10 ints and 3000 yards is reasonable to expect. key - with a GOOD oline...

To this point, I have not seen Trent take a hard hit (one that doesn't cause actual injury) and then seemingly transform into a little girl.

Have seen this many times with Chadwick --- having a great game connecting passes, then a DE lands a POW! on him and if/when he gets up, he's erratic and his accuracy is more or less shot. And w/o accuracy CP is nothing.

God here you guys go again. TRENT EDWARDS DOESN'T HAVE ARM STRENGTH PROBLEMS. Go watch highlight tape. Pennington is a frickin noodle arm.

Here is a video. Go to the 36 second mark and watch the throw. He threw it 40 yards with not much arm to laser it in to Lee Evans. That is a very hard throw to do. Same Video at the 1:20 Mark he throws it 60 yards with not much air on it. The ball was still in the camera view. Same video 1:41 mark he almost overthrows Roscoe Parrish and he had a guy climbing on his back. It was a 50 yard pass or so.

You guys think that because he isn't throwing 80 yard downfield TD's that he doesn't have arm strength. I bet you 100 dollars he can throw that far but guess what he will never do it in a game because it almost never happens.

I challenge you guys to pick any QB you want. I will find a highlight tape and show you that nobody is throwing farther than Trent in a football game.

You guys are fooled by his release. It is very fast compared to someone like losman who has full body windup when he throws the long ball. Trent Edwards doesn't have to do that due to his compact release.

I can find highlights of Pennington throwing 50 yards before he became as fragile as an egg. Even now Pennington can throw the ball about 40 yards without it hanging up for 50 seconds. Pennington can throw the ball 45 to 50 yards deep its just it will hang high. Another knock on Pennington was that he couldn't work the outside markers in the 30 to 40 yard range without once again it taking forever to get there.

So the question with Edwards isn't really can he bomb it 50 yards its more can he get throws down the sideline in the 30 to 40 yard range out quickly enough to beat defensive backs. So far its inconclusive I hope he can but it remains to be seen on a constant basis.

I would say that before we worry about the Bills winning a Super Bowl that we should worry about making the playoffs. So I agree with the Dean. To briefly reference another thread, Flutie was 4-1 for the Bills in 2000 and would have led us to a third straight playoff appearance had he been the starter. But he wasn't. I think many people would rather have a prototypical QB who sucks instead of a runt who wins. Therefore, Jim Druckenmiller and Kyle Boller get drafted high and guys like Flutie, Tarkenton, and Garcia have to make the most of their opportunities. Give me a playoff quarterback...true Super Bowl quarterbacks are far and few between. I don't think there's any question that Trent has a higher upside than "Super Bowl quarterbacks" such as Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson.

The comparison with Pennington is one that I've considered before. He is very cerebral and committed like Chad and that's what made me think of them as similar. But there's no doubt that Trent is more physically gifted.

I think the best that Trent Edwards could become would be a Dan Fouts type quarterback. Many may scoff at this but it's a conviction of mine nonetheless. Both are tall with very quick readability and quick releases. Both are very smart and have excellent football IQs. Neither is terribly mobile and I would give Trent the advantage here as he has very good pocket feel and decent straight line getaway speed.

People who see Fouts' stats but didn't see him play might assume he had a strong arm. He didn't. It was, like Trent's, average. With all the weapons at his disposal, I personally believe that Trent will have a breakout year.

gag,cough...please dont mention Trent and Fouts in the same sentence. Fouts is one of the all time great QBs. Please.-And while he didnt have a cannon his arm was still stronger than Trents.-And he had laser like accuracy and maybe the best touch of any QB to ever play...-Given that I like Trent. he can become a good QB in this league if he avoids concussions and loses his wimpiness.

The only people questioning Trent's arm strength are a few clueless people on this board, and then posters (or sheep) like you join the brigade and make nonsensical posts about his arm strength. Trent Edwards can make all the throws, there is nothing wrong with his arm strength. To compare his arm to Chad Pennington is ridiculous.

Take a look at Pennington before all the injuries and he had a good enough arm. I wasn't saying personally Trent had a bad arm but there are critics out there who say his arm isn't that great. It isn't just a few trolls on message boards who question Trent's arm. I personally feel he has the arm strength to be a very good NFL QB but the question is out there.

Its not a comparison to Pennington's arm now but Pennington's arm before he was injured beyond repair. That comparison is one that isn't so far fetched.

I still find it interesting that Bill Parcells hopped in there and signed Pennington as soon as he was available and seems to have no interest in J.P. Losman.

Seems the fans put more value in arm strength then the top coaches and GM's in the NFL.

I think fans should take note of that.

Its not all arm strength guys, but some will beat that horse forever...

You're right, Pennington has won in this league.

I still find it interesting that Bill Parcells hopped in there and signed Pennington as soon as he was available and seems to have no interest in J.P. Losman.

Seems the fans put more value in arm strength then the top coaches and GM's in the NFL.

Not really a fair comparison. The reason Parcells jumped on Pennington was because he wanted to build a team which could win games by not losing them. Pennington is the epitome of that kind of QB you need to do that. No one questioned Pennington's ability to be a pretty decent NFL caliber starter when healthy. They just questioned his ability to stay healthy.

JP on the other hand was a guy who wants to start rather than be a backup. JP was a guy who many questioned could be an NFL caliber starter. Top GM's and Coaches still put great onus on arm strength just take a look at the draft process of QB's.

JP was a backup who wants to be a starter it just wasn't going to happen.

Not really a fair comparison. The reason Parcells jumped on Pennington was because he wanted to build a team which could win games by not losing them. Pennington is the epitome of that kind of QB you need to do that. No one questioned Pennington's ability to be a pretty decent NFL caliber starter when healthy. They just questioned his ability to stay healthy.

JP on the other hand was a guy who wants to start rather than be a backup. JP was a guy who many questioned could be an NFL caliber starter. Top GM's and Coaches still put great onus on arm strength just take a look at the draft process of QB's.

JP was a backup who wants to be a starter it just wasn't going to happen.

To pile on, Chad is a poised QB who has few negative plays, conservative, low risk high-percentage ball movement. JP is a QB who plays scared, oft sacked, aggressive high risk high reward ball play. JP is flashy, but Chad wins games and fits Parcells system.

To pile on, Chad is a poised QB who has few negative plays, conservative, low risk high-percentage ball movement. JP is a QB who plays scared, oft sacked, aggressive high risk high reward ball play. JP is flashy, but Chad wins games and fits Parcells system.

Where do you get JP plays scared? Say what you want about him, but you can't say that. When JP took off & ran, he would go head first & extend the ball to make a first down rather than slide. That is not playing scared. Now Trent, the 2nd half of last year..........................He played SCARED.

There's really no comparison. At the time Parcells signed Pennington the Dolphins had McCown, Henne(a rookie with no NFL experience) & Beck as their top 3 QBs. Pennington was a huge upgrade. When JP became available he already had Pennington, who won him the division & Henne, who showed a lot of potential in pre-season last year. Why would Parcells, who is on the record as not thinking much of JP to begin with, be a barometer on JP? I agree with the arm strength statement, JP vs Trent in the coaching staff's opinion vs the JP supporters on this board says it all. The NFL's view of JP as a guy who isn't an NFL QB can be summed up by looking at the fact that no team showed enough interest to sign him. A 4 team 6 game league is light years from the NFL. They'll be lucky to be as good as the last Arenaball season in terms of talent. 4 retread NFL coaches don't make the players NFL caliber. JP may light it up this year in Las Vegas & still never play another down in the NFL.

Where do you get JP plays scared? Say what you want about him, but you can't say that. When JP took off & ran, he would go head first & extend the ball to make a first down rather than slide. That is not playing scared. Now Trent, the 2nd half of last year..........................He played SCARED.

Outside of the 1st half of the Cleveland game, there is no evidence that Trent played scared in any other game. Tell us the games he played scared in & how you drew that conclusion. He looked real scared against KC & Denver on the road :thumbsup:

Outside of the 1st half of the Cleveland game, there is no evidence that Trent played scared in any other game. Tell us the games he played scared in & how you drew that conclusion. He looked real scared against KC & Denver on the road :thumbsup:

The Cleveland game was bad in terms of INT"s but it did show that Trent was able to shake it off. He played better later in the game and the Bills had a chance to win it.

I don't want to see this team built just to get bounced in the playoffs. Like any good sports franchise with prolonged success (Yankees, Red Wings, New Jersey Devils, Spurs, Lakers, Steelers ect) you build to win a super bowl every year or rebuild if they aren't going to or aren't on their way to. The playoffs just look so good because we haven't been their for so long like a ex girlfriend who wasn't the hottest you ever had but you just haven't had many girls since so she looks so sweet.

So far there is not even the building part intact. Forget the playoffs until we have new coaching. If we happen to fluke in a la the 2001 Bears, count your blessings.

Bounced from the playoffs would be an incredible result for this season.