Does Aaron Schobel need to gain weight to once again be effective?

Aaron Schobel in my opinion has not even come close to earning the money we gave him a few years back. I always wondered if it had anything to do with his dramatic weight loss. His stats from 2002-2006, 8.5, 11.5, 8, 12, and 14 sacks. Then in 2007 he dropped to 6.5 sacks and then in 2008 when he was injured after 4 or 5 games, 1 sack. If you look at his weight from his rookie season up until 2006 he played anywhere from 262 to 264lbs. In 2007, 2008, and 2009 his weight is recorded at 243lbs. He lost 20lbs. Does anyone think there is a correlation between his recent weight loss and his performance. Did he sacrafice to much strength to try and increase his speed?

Aaron Schobel in my opinion has not even come close to earning the money we gave him a few years back. I always wondered if it had anything to do with his dramatic weight loss. His stats from 2002-2006, 8.5, 11.5, 8, 12, and 14 sacks. Then in 2007 he dropped to 6.5 sacks and then in 2008 when he was injured after 4 or 5 games, 1 sack. If you look at his weight from his rookie season up until 2006 he played anywhere from 262 to 264lbs. In 2007, 2008, and 2009 his weight is recorded at 243lbs. He lost 20lbs. Does anyone think there is a correlation between his recent weight loss and his performance. Did he sacrafice to much strength to try and increase his speed?

I definitely think his weight is one major reason for his drop in performance. I also think his attitude sucks also. There is a reason why he has never been a captain. From what I hear, he is somewhat introverted and nasty. Not the typical team player who will be respected by his peers. I also think he is near the end of his rope. IMO I dont think Aaron Schoebel would start or even make it on half of the teams in the NFL.

I think you make a valid point. 243 is, IMO, a little light in the arse for an every down defensive end. I certainly hope that what you're suggesting is the case rather than what could also be true, and that is just maybe his skills are declining. Let's hope 2009 sees him regain his old form. I'd be happy with 8-10 sacks from Schobel this year...

I definitely think his weight is one major reason for his drop in performance. I also think his attitude sucks also. There is a reason why he has never been a captain. From what I hear, he is somewhat introverted and nasty. Not the typical team player who will be respected by his peers. I also think he is near the end of his rope. IMO I dont think Aaron Schoebel would start or even make it on half of the teams in the NFL.

He doesn't seem to be very friendly or engaging. Luckily for us, he doesn't have to be. I can't really argue with your statement that he might be nearing the end of his rope, but after this season, we should be able to either argue for or against that point.

I disagree with you though, I do think he would be a starter on most NFL teams. (when healthy)

I think you make a valid point. 243 is, IMO, a little light in the arse for an every down defensive end.

I'd say it's very light for a DE. Undersized DEs is a big reason for the Bills' crappy run defense.

He doesn't seem to be very friendly or engaging. Luckily for us, he doesn't have to be. I can't really argue with your statement that he might be nearing the end of his rope, but after this season, we should be able to either argue for or against that point.

I disagree with you though, I do think he would be a starter on most NFL teams. (when healthy)

Last summer, I was on a driving range with Aaron and he was very friendly with the few people who came up and interrupted his lesson to meet him. I was impressed. He chatted with my brother who was working in the pro shop for for a bit. Did not seem nasty or standoffish.

All Schobel needs to do to return to being effective is get healthy. The little he played last year he was playing with a lisfranc injury that typically ends seasons. You have no spring off of one of your feet. I don't think his weight is the issue.

Well on the field is where you should be nasty but not in the locker room. Do you agree with that? I mean team chemistry is such a large part in winning football games. At 243 lbs...do you really think he would start for the giants, cowboys, ravens, steelers etc... I am talking about the upper 50 percent of the teams in the league.

All Schobel needs to do to return to being effective is get healthy. The little he played last year he was playing with a lisfranc injury that typically ends seasons. You have no spring off of one of your feet. I don't think his weight is the issue.

Good point...lets wait and see when healthy if he gets pushed around or not. There are linebackers in this league that are bigger and stronger than him. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. If he doesnt have a good year, the whole defense will suffer tremendously and that will definitely spell the end of dicky poo.

Well on the field is where you should be nasty but not in the locker room. Do you agree with that? I mean team chemistry is such a large part in winning football games. At 243 lbs...do you really think he would start for the giants, cowboys, ravens, steelers etc... I am talking about the upper 50 percent of the teams in the league.

I think he'd start for most teams, and even the ones named above, would contribute to their pass rush when he's healthy. That's the biggest question mark now. At age 32 (when the season starts), can he return to his old self? I'd say that he's lost a step, but I honestly can't remember the last time he was healthy. Wasn't he battling minor injuries in 2007 too?

I think he'd start for most teams, and even the ones named above, would contribute to their pass rush when he's healthy. That's the biggest question mark now. At age 32 (when the season starts), can he return to his old self? I'd say that he's lost a step, but I honestly can't remember the last time he was healthy. Wasn't he battling minor injuries in 2007 too?

Nevermind. Just checked and he was healthy in 2007, or at least started all of the games:

He started in 116 consecutive games with the Bills from 2003 until 2008, when he was on the inactive list for a game against the San Diego Chargers due to an injured foot.

Well, I think you said it in the post above. This year will tell the tale.

I believe Aaron Schobel needs surgery and decided not to risk his career when he was advised by the medical staff this was his best option.

I guess we will find out who was right during training camp and preseason

Added weight? Not sure on that one!

Article on Schobel.

"I still feel it, but once I start running, it doesn't bother me," Schobel said. "I think it's going to nag me, but as far as affecting the way I play, I won't feel it."

Schobel said he's learned how to play with the discomfort because he has scar tissue in his right foot from an injury he experienced four years ago.

"I feel I've still got the speed I've always had and the quickness I've had," Schobel said. "The only thing that feels different for me from three, four years ago, is that it takes a little longer to get loose. But once I'm loose, I'm the same as always."

I disagree. I dont think there is anyway he would start on the steelers, ravens or giants. Hes just not as good as the players they have on those teams.

The coaching staff asked Schobel to loose the weight as they employed the Tampa 2. Remember when everyone started loosing weight on the defense? Well Schobel has never been the same. I think there is a direct correlation between his weight and his effectiveness.

But to me here is the real issue. Even when Schobel was at his best, he was never really an impact player. He never changed the game, or changed the way an offense played. He put up decent numbers a couple years in sacks and tackles, and one great year in sacks but not tackles. But was never really a guy that made everyone else around him better, or could carry a defense for a game. And to me that is all I expect out of a player getting payed to be one of the best in the league. Not to have years where you dominate, but have games where you impact the way that game was played.

He is a slightly above average player at his best, a decent player when he's not, and a question mark when dealing with an injury.

I like the fact that he is introverted and nasty.And I always thought that he has been hard working.-I think the problem is is that he became way overrated when playing beside Fat Pat and even fat Ted at the end of his career--garnering cheapo sack stats that gave a false impression of his overall level of play.-No complaints about his attitude and toughness though. Its not his fault that he is of average talent.

I guess he could put on some weight for this season I however see him departing along with Jauron at the end of next year. Unless Schobel returns to his 10+ sack form it would be stupid for the team to keep him at his cost.

The guy is an overpaid joke IMO and his big numbers are usually accrued at the end of games when no one gives a shitt.

The coaching staff asked Schobel to loose the weight as they employed the Tampa 2. Remember when everyone started loosing weight on the defense? Well Schobel has never been the same. I think there is a direct correlation between his weight and his effectiveness.

But to me here is the real issue. Even when Schobel was at his best, he was never really an impact player. He never changed the game, or changed the way an offense played. He put up decent numbers a couple years in sacks and tackles, and one great year in sacks but not tackles. But was never really a guy that made everyone else around him better, or could carry a defense for a game. And to me that is all I expect out of a player getting payed to be one of the best in the league. Not to have years where you dominate, but have games where you impact the way that game was played.

He is a slightly above average player at his best, a decent player when he's not, and a question mark when dealing with an injury.

Completely agree, I honestly don't see him as such a threat that other teams need to game plan around him.

The only thing an opposing left tackle needs to do to contain Schobel is to match his 30 yard dash straight into the backfield and then keep him from swooping in for the coverage sack.

The swoop sack ala Aaron Schobel.

Completely agree, I honestly don't see him as such a threat that other teams need to game plan around him.

The only thing an opposing left tackle needs to do to contain Schobel is to match his 30 yard dash straight into the backfield and then keep him from swooping in for the coverage sack.

The swoop sack ala Aaron Schobel.

Yeah, 14 sacks sucks. The second best DE in Bills history sucks. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry but this is one of the worst posts I have ever seen.

1) You know nothing about Schobel to make any type of real judgments about him. It is beyond stupid to speculate what type of relationship he has with his teammates because he doesn't give a lot of interviews. Dumb.

2) He's pretty much played at teh same weight throughout his career.

3) Schobel won't start or make it on most teams??? Seriously, are you slow? :rolleyes: Yeah right. Teams would hate have a 2 time pro bowler who is in the top 8 in sacks since 2003, despite playing in only 5 games last year. Seriously, that maybe the dumbest thing posted on here and that is saying a lot.

Here's the facts:

1) Schobel has been a very good player for us during a very bad Bills' run. Singling out AS as the problems with this team is just silly and wrong.

2) He is the 2nd best DE in modern Bills' history (I really can't speak about players before '85).

3) He has played with crap across from him at the other DE spot. It could be argued that amongst the top sack guys, no one has played with less help than Schobel.

4) If he stays healthy, he will have a pro bowl type year and the Bills will have a top 10 defense.

:rolleyes:

It just amazes me the stupidity that comes out of people's mouths here sometimes. People whine about AS being overpaid. Well guess what? DEs make big money and AS has been one of the best. He earned that money. At teh same time, if we let Schobel walk and some team scooped him up in a second, people would whine about the Bills being cheap. Just plain silliness all around.

:rolleyes:

It just amazes me the stupidity that comes out of people's mouths here sometimes. People whine about AS being overpaid. Well guess what? DEs make big money and AS has been one of the best. He earned that money. At teh same time, if we let Schobel walk and some team scooped him up in a second, people would whine about the Bills being cheap. Just plain silliness all around.

That's the beauty of this place. Anyone on the team is either overpaid or not good enough to play elsewhere. Anyone not on this team should have been paid more because they're obviously the best ever. In other words, whatever the Bills do... it's wrong.

That's the beauty of this place. Anyone on the team is either overpaid or not good enough to play elsewhere. Anyone not on this team should have been paid more because they're obviously the best ever. In other words, whatever the Bills do... it's wrong.

well..based on the success overall of this franchise..I believe your statement is largely true. Maybe we can make the playoffs within the next 10 years.We all need to shut up and be more appreciative.

1) You know nothing about Schobel to make any type of real judgments about him. It is beyond stupid to speculate what type of relationship he has with his teammates because he doesn't give a lot of interviews. Dumb.

3) Schobel won't start or make it on most teams??? Seriously, are you slow? :rolleyes: Yeah right. Teams would hate have a 2 time pro bowler who is in the top 8 in sacks since 2003, despite playing in only 5 games last year. Seriously, that maybe the dumbest thing posted on here and that is saying a lot.

Here's the facts:

1) Schobel has been a very good player for us during a very bad Bills' run. Singling out AS as the problems with this team is just silly and wrong.

2) He is the 2nd best DE in modern Bills' history (I really can't speak about players before '85).

3) He has played with crap across from him at the other DE spot. It could be argued that amongst the top sack guys, no one has played with less help than Schobel.

4) If he stays healthy, he will have a pro bowl type year and the Bills will have a top 10 defense.

C. Biscuit, You are wrong about Schobel playing almost his entire career st the same weight. He played 20 lbs heavier during his first 5 years. You don't think 20lbs is a lot of weight? In my opinion his drop in play began as soon as he got light in the can. Why doesn't he add some weight back is what I can't figure out.

Here's the facts:

Yeah you got it..I am slow. First off I didnt start the thread. Second...I never singled him out as the problems of the team. Their is many. I guess you must be the slow one that knows only how to take people out of context. He did play with some good linemen...ie washington and williams...and his numbers were ok but alot of them came during garbage time. Tell me at least a few games where he impacted a game and turned the tide. If you really think he would play on some of the teams i mentioned at his level of play now and his weight your dilussional. Dont worry biscuit...during the middle of the year we can have this converstation again when he is getting pushed 10 yards behind the QB. Watch the film, the past 2 years thats where he was. DE at 263-270 compared to 243 is much different. Get a clue.

Here's the facts:

Those arent facts...they are opinions. But if your opinion is that williams and washington were crap then its duly noted. Here is another opinion...if they keep playing that sh-- tampa 2 they wont even be a top 20 defense. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. We will blow as long as dick is on the sidelines unable to manage a game correctly.

Here's the facts:

Those arent facts...they are opinions. But if your opinion is that williams and washington were crap then its duly noted. Here is another opinion...if they keep playing that sh-- tampa 2 they wont even be a top 20 defense. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. We will blow as long as dick is on the sidelines unable to manage a game correctly.

I really try not to call names but your posts are making it really hard not to. Apparently, you struggled with reading comprehension and also like to just make up facts.

1) If you read my post correctly, I've stated that Schobel has played with crap DEs across from him. No one were did I mention the DT position. If you have only 1 good DE, it is easier for offenses to try and adjust to block him.

2) In your making up that I was calling Williams and Washington garbage, you decide to make up some more facts. Schobel was drafted in 2001. Washington's last season with the Bills was in 2000. Good job there. :rolleyes:

3) You stat that with the Bills playing a cover 2 defense, they will never be a top 20 defense. Well there Einstein, I used a magically time machine and travelled all the way back to the mythical 2008 season. In this long forgotten 2008 season, the Bills finished, gasp <_< , 14th in total defense. And if your mind can comprehend it, we can travel back to 2006. The Bills finished 18th in total defense. And guess what defense they were playing?

But seriously, good post. I like the facts you used to make your point. I will say though, it is impressive the way you can type with your @ss. :rolleyes:

When you dont make to the playoffs 9 years in a row then the FO doesnt have much credibility...so yes, they do alot wrong.

I really try not to call names but your posts are making it really hard not to. Apparently, you struggled with reading comprehension and also like to just make up facts.

1) If you read my post correctly, I've stated that Schobel has played with crap DEs across from him. No one were did I mention the DT position. If you have only 1 good DE, it is easier for offenses to try and adjust to block him.

2) In your making up that I was calling Williams and Washington garbage, you decide to make up some more facts. Schobel was drafted in 2001. Washington's last season with the Bills was in 2000. Good job there. :rolleyes:

3) You stat that with the Bills playing a cover 2 defense, they will never be a top 20 defense. Well there Einstein, I used a magically time machine and travelled all the way back to the mythical 2008 season. In this long forgotten 2008 season, the Bills finished, gasp <_< , 14th in total defense. And if your mind can comprehend it, we can travel back to 2006. The Bills finished 18th in total defense. And guess what defense they were playing?

But seriously, good post. I like the facts you used to make your point. I will say though, it is impressive the way you can type with your @ss. :rolleyes:

Ha...are your feelings hurt? Enjoy 10 years of no playoffs. I didnt say last year...I said this year they wont be a top 20. Ah yes...Keith ellison is going to cause offenses to game plan around him. I see you use all the little inuendos that chatters use on a daily basis...so I bet you sit at your computer, eating your bon bons and stroking your junk to the first fat B word that you talk to. Later loser. I bet you live in Mommys basement too dont you? !@#$ing geek.

Ha...are your feelings hurt? Enjoy 10 years of no playoffs. I didnt say last year...I said this year they wont be a top 20. Ah yes...Keith ellison is going to cause offenses to game plan around him. I see you use all the little inuendos that chatters use on a daily basis...so I bet you sit at your computer, eating your bon bons and stroking your junk to the first fat B word that you talk to. Later loser. I bet you live in Mommys basement too dont you? !@#$ing geek.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Article on Schobel.

"I still feel it, but once I start running, it doesn't bother me," Schobel said. "I think it's going to nag me, but as far as affecting the way I play, I won't feel it."

Schobel said he's learned how to play with the discomfort because he has scar tissue in his right foot from an injury he experienced four years ago.

"I feel I've still got the speed I've always had and the quickness I've had," Schobel said. "The only thing that feels different for me from three, four years ago, is that it takes a little longer to get loose. But once I'm loose, I'm the same as always."

Of course, every football player with declining skills or nagging injuries thinks he still has his speed and agility. I think Aaron is beat up from years of play. I've been a fan of his, but he is now damaged goods. The Bills blew it when they panicked and gave Kelsey that big contract. That forced them to give Schobel a big contract. Hindsight is always 20-20, but they would have been better off bringing in a new generation of DEs.

I disagree. I dont think there is anyway he would start on the steelers, ravens or giants. Hes just not as good as the players they have on those teams.

Well there are few if an players on any team in the NFL that are as good as Osi and Justin Tuck on the Giants. The Steelers run a 3-4 so comparing Schobel to the players on those teams just isn't right. On the Ravens Schobel would have started he is at least as good as the guys on the Ravens team.

In Schobel's prime years he generated a lot of pass rush fro a team that gave him little help from his defensive line mates. Also about Schobel's weight loss maybe he went off the HGH or something. Maybe he was given a little bit of advice to get off the stuff and than explained his weight loss by needing to be faster? I don't know its just pure speculation not saying he was on HGH or other performance enhancers but a lot of NFL players are so no one in the NFL is beyond reproach.

You show me a Schobel who makes plays in the backfield other than coverage sacks and I'll start to support him, otherwise he is a colossal waste of money at this point in his career.

Marv made a gigantic mistake giving him a huge extension when he had multiple years left on his deal.

You show me a Schobel who makes plays in the backfield other than coverage sacks and I'll start to support him, otherwise he is a colossal waste of money at this point in his career.

Marv made a gigantic mistake giving him a huge extension when he had multiple years left on his deal.

And Kelsay too.

Schobel had his best season against the run and pass at his current weight so this post, like pretty much all Aaron Schobel posts, is completely worthless. All DE's in 4-3 defenses are playing in the 240-250 lb. range there days.

Schobel had his best season against the run and pass at his current weight so this post, like pretty much all Aaron Schobel posts, is completely worthless. All DE's in 4-3 defenses are playing in the 240-250 lb. range there days.

93 Freeney, Dwight DE ACT 6'1" 268

97 Green, Jarvis DE ACT 6'3" 285

94 Warren, Ty DE ACT 6'5" 300

93 Eason, Nick DE ACT 6'3" 305

65 Gaines, Josh DE ACT 6'1" 274

72 Bowen, Stephen DE ACT 6'5" 304

92 Dixon, Marcus DE ACT 6'4" 285

97 Hatcher, Jason DE ACT 6'6" 304

99 Olshansky, Igor DE ACT 6'6" 309

69 Allen, Jared DE ACT 6'6" 270