Maybin coming along slowly?

Hell, Kay Stephenson BENCHED Smith early in that season because he didn't think he was strong enough against the run.

Lori,

Yes Kay did. But in his defense at that time Bruce wasnt. It was after Bruce's first year that he dedicated himself to getting into the type of physical shape that led him to becoming a NFL Hall of Fame player. During Bruce's first year I think even Bruce would admit he wasnt a terrific football player.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what burns my wood stove;

Why start such a "premature" thread and then not come back to face the music??

We need tighter rules for thread starting here, I'm afraid. For instance, Title should have "no link" or "just my random opinion" in it without proof. Also, should you start a thread and then "disappear", you should be restricted to posting reply's only....

/rant - And yes, I dig these (")!!

What burns my ass is a fire about waist high.

Once again, I have to question the lack of positive news in regards Maybin during OTA's, and, at the same time, the all around positive buzz coming from One Bills Drive in regards their entire program thus far: I read a question and answer on NFL.com with Gil about the Buffalo D - and he said that it was a good pick at 11 with Maybin, but that he was thus far nothing spectacular. We at TBD follow the Bills pretty closely, but most of the news we get is not entirely objective. I questioned the pick at 11, thinking they'd go E. Brown or Orakpo; but, knowing this kid is young and has a lot of room to improve makes sense in picking him, if he is considered to be better developed in a few years than the others. I'm just wondering how much of an impact this kid will have this year. A lot of fans are thinking he's going to change the landscape of the D-line immediately, and as far as the quotes I've read of his, he seems to think he's doing good, and that the pro game isn't a whole lot different than the college game. That is the one point that bothers me. If he's thinking he's doing fine, and going to continue being a dominant player, while many other people see him as being a non factor, or that he's catching on slowly... we'll not know until the season starts, but it could be he's a project for a year or two, and we won't see a lot of production out of him this year.

read the history - D ends do not do well their first year. period. end of story. don't expect anything. they didnt draft him for this year, they drafted him for the next 5 years. an honest projection? part time, 3rd down rusher and occasional OLB in 3-4 schemes. He is not ready to stop the run and wont be for some time. 2.5 - 3 sacks is a good estimate with maybe 15 tackles?

its about time we draft someone for the long run as opposed to everything being "now, now now." we need to build a good, solid defensive core. I think he'll be a good piece to have in the long run - ala mario williams.

Would you feel better if Maybin was quoted saying something like "Holy sh--, I am in way over my head. I am not sure if I will be able to handle this pro game thing. It was so much easier at Penn State. The guys here, in the NFL are so much bigger and faster, and I am so undersized, I hope nobody expects anything out of me for at least two or three years. I mean, I have confidence, but everyone else says I am not too impressive...I guess they are probably right..."

LOL

The guy is going to Miami to WORK with Ray Lewis and that, my friends, is going to be WORK!! The initial reaction I have is that he is already sounding like a very solid pick, and someone HAS TO BE NFL rookie of the year on defense.... WHY NOT HIM? Every year, teams in this league draft studs who make their mark in the first year, and frankly, Buffalo fans are becoming notorious for thinking the team WILL draft duds. Personally, I think this attitude SUCKS! Simply put, Aaron Maybin is a DE for our Buffalo Bills, and as such, let's take the path less taken and readily "billieve" that he will, indeed, become a Pro Bowler!! It's got to start somewhere, why NOT HIM!! I already default to this way of thinking on other players we've selected, and I won't stop now.....

To name a few,

Posluszny, Levitre, Wood, Byrd, Edwards, Nelson, Lynch, Steve Johnson, McKelvin, Whitner, Corner, and, oh yes Maybin!!

Starts to be a very promising list, if you ask me!!

Look at Bruce Smith's rookie year. No one was thinking hall-of-fame.

PTR

Exactly. Defensive linemen almost never make a huge impact in their first year. There are a few exceptions, but the vast majority (even of the first-rounders) take a year or two of changing their bodies in NFL fitness programs and programming their minds in camps and run-throughs and games before they begin to have a huge impact.

The guy is going to Miami to WORK with Ray Lewis and that, my friends, is going to be WORK!! The initial reaction I have is that he is already sounding like a very solid pick, and someone HAS TO BE NFL rookie of the year on defense.... WHY NOT HIM?

Why not Maybin for Defensive Rookie of the Year?

How about this? The last 6 defensive rookies of the year have been linebackers. And 8 of the last 10. The game has changed. LBs can more quickly adjust because their role is largely read and react.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Foot..._the_Year_Award

Anything's possible. But Maybin for DRY is very very unlikely.

read the history - D ends do not do well their first year. period. end of story. don't expect anything. they didnt draft him for this year, they drafted him for the next 5 years. an honest projection? part time, 3rd down rusher and occasional OLB in 3-4 schemes. He is not ready to stop the run and wont be for some time. 2.5 - 3 sacks is a good estimate with maybe 15 tackles?

its about time we draft someone for the long run as opposed to everything being "now, now now." we need to build a good, solid defensive core. I think he'll be a good piece to have in the long run - ala mario williams.

Maybin may surprise people this season as wel. I think he has chance to be special from when I have seen him play.

Would you feel better if Maybin was quoted saying something like "Holy sh--, I am in way over my head. I am not sure if I will be able to handle this pro game thing. It was so much easier at Penn State. The guys here, in the NFL are so much bigger and faster, and I am so undersized, I hope nobody expects anything out of me for at least two or three years. I mean, I have confidence, but everyone else says I am not too impressive...I guess they are probably right..."

:wallbash:

Yes, thanks, I feel a whole lot better..

Once again, I have to question the lack of positive news in regards Maybin during OTA's, and, at the same time, the all around positive buzz coming from One Bills Drive in regards their entire program thus far: I read a question and answer on NFL.com with Gil about the Buffalo D - and he said that it was a good pick at 11 with Maybin, but that he was thus far nothing spectacular. We at TBD follow the Bills pretty closely, but most of the news we get is not entirely objective. I questioned the pick at 11, thinking they'd go E. Brown or Orakpo; but, knowing this kid is young and has a lot of room to improve makes sense in picking him, if he is considered to be better developed in a few years than the others. I'm just wondering how much of an impact this kid will have this year. A lot of fans are thinking he's going to change the landscape of the D-line immediately, and as far as the quotes I've read of his, he seems to think he's doing good, and that the pro game isn't a whole lot different than the college game. That is the one point that bothers me. If he's thinking he's doing fine, and going to continue being a dominant player, while many other people see him as being a non factor, or that he's catching on slowly... we'll not know until the season starts, but it could be he's a project for a year or two, and we won't see a lot of production out of him this year.

you cant be serious,"maybin coming along slow"?

says who?

lets see gill brands (who i love) so far nothing spectacular,duh no kidding. they are in freaking shorts and learning a new defense,learning how different the pro game is and he probably does not even have a home yet and your pissed about nothing spectacular being written about the kid .

give me a freaking break you have got to be kidding me. thats the dumbest most simplistic statement i have heard in a while.

you say we should have picked brown or orapko. well last time i looked brown dropped to the second round i suppose all the NFL personnel people are stupid i guess.

orapko is being switched to LB so he was not a good fit here and rushing the passer was not one of his strong points.

by the way i'm on this computer 24/7 and i have not heard a word about brown and orapko lighting it up on their teams i guess they were bad picks also.

the bills took the guy they wanted. they had their choice of everyone except jackson (and he is for sure not a passrusher but a run stuffer) and they choose Maybin.

maybin is doing everything right,working his butt off and by the way is flying to florida to work out and train with ray lewis and pick his brain in this off time befor camp. i suppose you dont like that either. the kid is football 24/7 what else do you want. its common knowledge he has the talent and the fastest first step in this draft class. what else do you want.

now we learn about his great character and desire and is also a tireless worker (going to wotk w/lewis) when he could just sit home and relax and work out. still not satisfied because some dumbo journalist has not wriiten some stupid article in may about how maybin is tearing it up in may. come on man get real!

talk to me after the first 4 games and then make some dumb statement like this one and it still wont make any differance because they are freaking rookies.

you post is absolutly ridiculous IMO!

We certainly seem to want to rip apart Maybin who has already shown an interest in learning skills from veterans from throughout the league ... who is already out in the community ... and who Chris Brown reports is showing skills even though the OTA lack of live contact.

Of course the evaluation from Chris is no guarantee but he is basically all we have plus some limited news stories and each one has been postive. None are saying that Maybin is a slacker ... none say he came to the OTA's overweight ... they all imply highly skilled and motivated.

So, let's see what happens once the contract is signed and the pads come on.

Down in the Philadelphia area ... people like him and think he'll do well and as a Bills' fan until he stops showing all of these positive signs and until we get some negative reports about him in the media ... I am not going to be thinking about him motoring around the corner and sacking Brady on opening day!!

I wasn't aware that Mr. Brandt was in attendance at Bills minicamp? This is from someone who was:

TBD favorite John Wawrow has also suggested an expanded role in the defense for Maybin, which directly contradicts what Dick Jauron said at the end of April about starting him out as strictly a DE: "'Aaron Maybin is a defensive lineman,' Jauron said. 'We plan to just play him as a defensive end, primarily in pass rush situations.'"

That leads me to believe that he's picking stuff up quickly enough that the coaches feel comfortable throwing more of the playbook at him ... and to wonder who Brandt might have been talking to up here.

While i like the potential of moving Maybin around and putting him in position to succeed (gasp! what a concept!), whether they follow through (or dickie lets them follow through) is another story entirely. We used the "creep" defense against seattle last year with some success, and i don't really remember us using it much after that.

Lori,

Yes Kay did. But in his defense at that time Bruce wasnt. It was after Bruce's first year that he dedicated himself to getting into the type of physical shape that led him to becoming a NFL Hall of Fame player. During Bruce's first year I think even Bruce would admit he wasnt a terrific football player.

True. But physically and mentally, Maybin is a year behind Everette Brown (the only rookie DE who I've heard anything good about) and 2 years behind Orakpo, Jackson, and English.

True. But physically and mentally, Maybin is a year behind Everette Brown (the only rookie DE who I've heard anything good about) and 2 years behind Orakpo, Jackson, and English.

See, this is BS. You have NO idea about Maybin's maturity vs these other guys. Yes, he's younger...he's also had some tough life experiences that have tested him. He has a strong support system in place, including his father (a Minister) and LaVar Arrington.