Maybin coming along slowly?

Once again, I have to question the lack of positive news in regards Maybin during OTA's, and, at the same time, the all around positive buzz coming from One Bills Drive in regards their entire program thus far: I read a question and answer on NFL.com with Gil about the Buffalo D - and he said that it was a good pick at 11 with Maybin, but that he was thus far nothing spectacular. We at TBD follow the Bills pretty closely, but most of the news we get is not entirely objective. I questioned the pick at 11, thinking they'd go E. Brown or Orakpo; but, knowing this kid is young and has a lot of room to improve makes sense in picking him, if he is considered to be better developed in a few years than the others. I'm just wondering how much of an impact this kid will have this year. A lot of fans are thinking he's going to change the landscape of the D-line immediately, and as far as the quotes I've read of his, he seems to think he's doing good, and that the pro game isn't a whole lot different than the college game. That is the one point that bothers me. If he's thinking he's doing fine, and going to continue being a dominant player, while many other people see him as being a non factor, or that he's catching on slowly... we'll not know until the season starts, but it could be he's a project for a year or two, and we won't see a lot of production out of him this year.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, I have to question the lack of positive news in regards Maybin during OTA's, and, at the same time, the all around positive buzz coming from One Bills Drive in regards their entire program thus far: I read a question and answer on NFL.com with Gil about the Buffalo D - and he said that it was a good pick at 11 with Maybin, but that he was thus far nothing spectacular. We at TBD follow the Bills pretty closely, but most of the news we get is not entirely objective. I questioned the pick at 11, thinking they'd go E. Brown or Orakpo; but, knowing this kid is young and has a lot of room to improve makes sense in picking him, if he is considered to be better developed in a few years than the others. I'm just wondering how much of an impact this kid will have this year. A lot of fans are thinking he's going to change the landscape of the D-line immediately, and as far as the quotes I've read of his, he seems to think he's doing good, and that the pro game isn't a whole lot different than the college game. That is the one point that bothers me. If he's thinking he's doing fine, and going to continue being a dominant player, while many other people see him as being a non factor, or that he's catching on slowly... we'll not know until the season starts, but it could be he's a project for a year or two, and we won't see a lot of production out of him this year.

Why don't we wait until we have some contact...it's tough to judge linemen on OTA's and minicamps.

We're talking about no pads, no contact OTA's. How much do you think there is to report on the lines? Seriously? What do you think they're doing that would be an indication of ANYTHING?

You hear anything about Rhodes? No. Poz, Nic Harirs, Alvin Bowen, Stoud? No, no, no, not till Marcus' Mailbag. The only people "doing stuff" during OTA's are WR's, QB's, and DB's.

Chill.

Once again, I have to question the lack of positive news in regards Maybin during OTA's

I'm guessing it's because you only retain what you want to believe:

Unless you're in the building, you have to take this guy's word

Aaron Maybin – Most of his reps came against the second team offense, but Maybin’s ability to bend the corner was apparent even in a non-contact setting as he flushed quarterbacks from the pocket several times during OTAs and minicamp.

Bust written all over that description.

I wasn't aware that Mr. Brandt was in attendance at Bills minicamp? This is from someone who was:

Defensive coordinator Perry Fewell has plans to use Maybin in a number of ways to take advantage of his quickness and athleticism. Fewell has schemes where his defensive ends play in a stand-up position on and off the line of scrimmage. Such tactics should be a good fit for Maybin, who was projected as an outside linebacker if drafted by a team that used the 3-4 defense.

“We’re actually playing around with some stuff, so that’s really exciting,” Maybin said. “Just with the way the defense goes and the techniques [Fewell] has us playing, I really feel very comfortable in that situation.

“It adds another dimension to the game that teams are going to have to deal with. When you’re able to hit a team from different angles and they don’t know where you’re coming from it definitely helps you out because it allows you to do a lot more and allows you to hurt teams a lot more.”

http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/701981.html

TBD favorite John Wawrow has also suggested an expanded role in the defense for Maybin, which directly contradicts what Dick Jauron said at the end of April about starting him out as strictly a DE: "'Aaron Maybin is a defensive lineman,' Jauron said. 'We plan to just play him as a defensive end, primarily in pass rush situations.'"

That leads me to believe that he's picking stuff up quickly enough that the coaches feel comfortable throwing more of the playbook at him ... and to wonder who Brandt might have been talking to up here.

That leads me to believe that he's picking stuff up quickly enough that the coaches feel comfortable throwing more of the playbook at him ... and to wonder who Brandt might have been talking to up here.

Probably the same hack who PFT quoted when he/she said that Maybin looked "brutal." :wallbash:

Would you feel better if Maybin was quoted saying something like "Holy sh--, I am in way over my head. I am not sure if I will be able to handle this pro game thing. It was so much easier at Penn State. The guys here, in the NFL are so much bigger and faster, and I am so undersized, I hope nobody expects anything out of me for at least two or three years. I mean, I have confidence, but everyone else says I am not too impressive...I guess they are probably right..."

Look at Bruce Smith's rookie year. No one was thinking hall-of-fame.

PTR

Hell, Kay Stephenson BENCHED Smith early in that season because he didn't think he was strong enough against the run.

The off-season continues.......

No doubt. He could be a bust, or he could be Rookie of the Year. But it's kind of hard to tell either way in June, no?

Do you have a link for that?

Just to let you know it's JUNE the team hasn't started TC, hasn't played a single down against another team, is being reviewed by someone Lori thinks wasn't even there and has gotten good reviews from people who've seen him. As GOBILLS78 pointed out he probably wont see 10 snaps a game and that's if he's average.

Mario Williams had 4.5 sacks his first year. Even if Maybin is sub par this year it means nothing. The only guy I've jumped on during his first year is Chris Ellis and he was abysmal. He had only three tackles last year. Good lord I hope he proves me wrong this year but criminy jacobs he's been disappointing. If Maybin has a year like that I might be inclined to believe he may bust.

Since most rookies hit the wall later in the season Jauron may limit his play all year. It's also better to bring rookies along slowly, in most cases.

Save the doom and gloom until after this season. :wallbash:

The off-season continues.......

Here's what burns my wood stove;

Why start such a "premature" thread and then not come back to face the music??

We need tighter rules for thread starting here, I'm afraid. For instance, Title should have "no link" or "just my random opinion" in it without proof. Also, should you start a thread and then "disappear", you should be restricted to posting reply's only....

/rant - And yes, I dig these (")!!