Maybin coming along slowly?

While i like the potential of moving Maybin around and putting him in position to succeed (gasp! what a concept!), whether they follow through (or dickie lets them follow through) is another story entirely. We used the "creep" defense against seattle last year with some success, and i don't really remember us using it much after that.

Roosevelt Colvin had the best 2 seasons of his career under Jauron in Chicago. He had back to back 10.5 sack seasons playing OLB. That doesn't happen if DJ doesn't move Colvin around a lot.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Brown lists Maybin as one of 5 youngsters who have been impressive. Two of those are rookies, the other rookie being Lankster. The other three are second year players.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/

That said, I expect the Bills to bring Maybin along slowly, as a designated pass rusher from the left side in passing situations. He's a talented guy, but he is also young, and in the process of bulking up from his college playng weight of around 230 to somewhere in the neighborhood of 260. I expect he'll be on the field for maybe a third of the defensive plays, and will tally in the neighborhood of 4-6 sacks on the season. That would make his rookie season a reasonable success. I think eventually he'll replace Schobel at RDE. It's impossible to know for sure, but the hope is he's going to develop into a pass rushing DE like Dwight Freeney, and will have a real impact. Give him a couple years before you demand that level of production from him though. He'll still be 23 at that point.

Roosevelt Colvin had the best 2 seasons of his career under Jauron in Chicago. He had back to back 10.5 sack seasons playing OLB. That doesn't happen if DJ doesn't move Colvin around a lot.

Well see come this season. But dick's already on record stating that maybin is a DE, and dick isn't the type to "think outside the box" to maximize the potential of a player. He's going to play it conservative to a fault, even if it means neutering a potentially effective weapon.

Well see come this season. But dick's already on record stating that maybin is a DE, and dick isn't the type to "think outside the box" to maximize the potential of a player. He's going to play it conservative to a fault, even if it means neutering a potentially effective weapon.

I still miffed about this conservative label. I could be wrong but wasn't our starting free safety in 2007 a converted receiver? Didn't the defense come up with a new front where all 7 people in the front 7 lined up at the line of scrimmage?

Jauron isn't going to take a lot of risks, but I think talent rather than anything, limits your creativity. You can only drop Chris Kelsay into coverage so much and not get killed by it.

See, this is BS. You have NO idea about Maybin's maturity vs these other guys. Yes, he's younger...he's also had some tough life experiences that have tested him. He has a strong support system in place, including his father (a Minister) and LaVar Arrington.

Sorry. When I said "mentally," I meant WRT the game of football. From everything I've seen, this kid is mature beyond his years.

Wow! I got ripped on this one. What I meant when I put up that post was that we're looking for all the signs of improvement and potential success this year - as in, we'll make the playoffs and be contenders. That being said, if the F.O. planned on his addition changing the line from pretty poor to playoff caliber, then there are questions about that type of planning. However, after reading these responses, and him training with Ray Lewis, along with the news that Fewell might use him as linebacker, makes his impact this year more hopeful. I'd love to see him tear it up this year, I was just putting out there an intuition - reading behind the lines, as it were - that he might not do a lot this year, and that I hope the Defense isn't counting on a lot from him. Your suggestions about a 3-6 sack year sound realistic. I guess I just thought that with the entire coaching staff hinging on success this year, their first rounder was supposed to be impacting things this year regularly. I did mention that as a project for a few years, he makes perfect sense, as opposed immediately.

Once again, I have to question the lack of positive news in regards Maybin during OTA's, and, at the same time, the all around positive buzz coming from One Bills Drive in regards their entire program thus far: I read a question and answer on NFL.com with Gil about the Buffalo D - and he said that it was a good pick at 11 with Maybin, but that he was thus far nothing spectacular. We at TBD follow the Bills pretty closely, but most of the news we get is not entirely objective. I questioned the pick at 11, thinking they'd go E. Brown or Orakpo; but, knowing this kid is young and has a lot of room to improve makes sense in picking him, if he is considered to be better developed in a few years than the others. I'm just wondering how much of an impact this kid will have this year. A lot of fans are thinking he's going to change the landscape of the D-line immediately, and as far as the quotes I've read of his, he seems to think he's doing good, and that the pro game isn't a whole lot different than the college game. That is the one point that bothers me. If he's thinking he's doing fine, and going to continue being a dominant player, while many other people see him as being a non factor, or that he's catching on slowly... we'll not know until the season starts, but it could be he's a project for a year or two, and we won't see a lot of production out of him this year.

He needs to get good "quickly". We can't rely on what we have had in the past to get the job done. Heres something that many fans might not know. I would like to hear what others fans might think about my observation. Aaron Schobel in my opinion has not even come close to earning the money we gave him a few years back. Something I noticed about his weight kind of made me think a little. His stats from 2002-2006, 8.5, 11.5, 8, 12, and 14 sacks. Then in 2007 he dropped to 6.5 sacks and then in 2008 when he was injured after 4 or 5 games, 1 sack. If you look at his weight from his rookie season up until 2006 he played anywhere from 262 to 264lbs. In 2007, 2008, and 2009 his weight dropped big time, 243lbs. He lost 20lbs. Does anyone think there is a correlation between his recent weight loss and his performance.

Does anyone think there is a correlation between his recent weight loss and his performance.

They went to this Cover 2 thing and the DBs role in run support, or threat of same, diminished.

When your closest DBs generally set up well back from the LOS, and you demand a LB become a pass defender, well...the DL is on an island.