Interesting situation in St. Louis with Rams

The Rams are going to be hitting the market fairly soon and there is a good chance that they might not find a local buyer, so the team may be sold to outside groups. This will open the door for a possible move. This is a very similar situation to what we envision happening in Buffalo. Ms. Frontiere's heirs are not able to handle the estate taxes associated with owning a team, so they are forced to sell. Peopel are pretty nervous in St. Louis about a move. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

The Rams are going to be hitting the market fairly soon and there is a good chance that they might not find a local buyer, so the team may be sold to outside groups. This will open the door for a possible move. This is a very similar situation to what we envision happening in Buffalo. Ms. Frontiere's heirs are not able to handle the estate taxes associated with owning a team, so they are forced to sell. Peopel are pretty nervous in St. Louis about a move. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Biblical.

There are plenty of wealthy people in St. Louis that could buy the team, but it seems like there are many roadblocks like cross ownership rules pertaining to other sport franchises and so forth. A move back to LA is logical, but they need a stadium. My bet is on LA because they have plenty of people with the money that have been waiting and the city of Industry is waiting to build a stadium- contingent upon a team moving there. The timing might finally be right for LA to get a team again.

The Rams are going to be hitting the market fairly soon and there is a good chance that they might not find a local buyer, so the team may be sold to outside groups....

Gee, if they ended up in Los Angeles, they could be called the.........Los Angeles Rams. How original. What if you grew up a die hard L.A. Rams fan? The franchise leaves for St. Louis without a SB victory, stays there for about 15 years and wins a SB, then become one of the worst teams in the NFL and go back to Los Angeles. Now that is classic. :rolleyes:

Gee, if they ended up in Los Angeles, they could be called the.........Los Angeles Rams. How original. What if you grew up a die hard L.A. Rams fan? The franchise leaves for St. Louis without a SB victory, stays there for about 15 years and wins a SB, then become one of the worst teams in the NFL and go back to Los Angeles. Now that is classic. :D

The Rams have about as screwed up history as any team in pro sports. It would suck for St Louis to lose them, but, if it makes it even one iota more likely the Bills stay put, then, well...I'm just sayin'... :rolleyes:

The Rams have about as screwed up history as any team in pro sports. It would suck for St Louis to lose them, but, if it makes it even one iota more likely the Bills stay put, then, well...I'm just sayin'... :rolleyes:

:D

Excellent point! Taking the Los Angeles market out of the equation gives the "Jim Kelly" group (if it exists) a much better chance of out-bidding other out of town groups when Ralph passes on to the "Rockpile" in the sky.

Indeed. Their football teams didn't even originate there. The Cardinals were from Chicago and the Rams were from Cleveland first. Their fans are a loyal lot. Too bad they always seem to be a weigh station for transient teams.

All things considered, we don't have it too bad.

There are plenty of wealthy people in St. Louis that could buy the team, but it seems like there are many roadblocks like cross ownership rules pertaining to other sport franchises and so forth. A move back to LA is logical, but they need a stadium. My bet is on LA because they have plenty of people with the money that have been waiting and the city of Industry is waiting to build a stadium- contingent upon a team moving there. The timing might finally be right for LA to get a team again.

This was all covered in about 10 different posts weeks ago.

:rolleyes:

Excellent point! Taking the Los Angeles market out of the equation gives the "Jim Kelly" group (if it exists) a much better chance of out-bidding other out of town groups when Ralph passes on to the "Rockpile" in the sky.

Sure, no more worry about LA, but what if there's some St.Louis group that wants the Bills to fill the abandoned stadium!

Their football teams didn't even originate there. The Cardinals were from Chicago and the Rams were from Cleveland first.

...and the Bears were from Decatur and the Lions from Portsmouth and the Redskins from Boston...

The only reason an owner can't own another sports team is if it's in a current NFL market. I.E. Jerry Jones couldn't buy the N.Y. Knicks but he could buy the Dallas Mavericks. So Checketts owning the St. Louis Blues isn't a problem as long as he keeps the scRams in St. Louis or moves them to LA. If Checketts buys them then they will probably stay in St. Louis.

I don't understand why the league is so horny to put a team in LA. Every NFL team in LA has failed. A friend of mine from California told me there is just too much to do in LA for an NFL team to make it.

Linkage

Understand the limitations of ownership

Make sure you understand the rules of owning a team. Some leagues do not allow ownership based on a prospective owner's non-sports activities. Large ownership groups or publicly traded corporations cannot own a team in the NFL. The NFL also restricts ownership if you own a sports team in another NFL city.

Here's an article that goes into detail of how Checketts' ownership group could be put together financially to satisfy league ownership purchasing rules.

If the potential Rams ownership group being assembled by Blues Chairman Dave Checketts becomes a reality, at least one member must have very deep pockets - to the tune of more than a quarter of a billion dollars.

NFL ownership rules require that a single individual must have total voting and management control of the club. And that person must own at least 30 percent of the team.

So get your calculators out, and let's do the math.

:rolleyes:

It does exist.

"One way or another, I will make sure this team stays here. I know people that are ready to step up," said Kelly. "I think Mr. Wilson has the same vision I have, and that's to keep the team in Western New York."

I wonder if Danny Wegman is one of those people?

It is a shame considering that the Rams were given a brand new stadium for moving from LA.....I hope the NFL can keep the Rams where they are.

The only reason an owner can't own another sports team is if it's in a current NFL market. I.E. Jerry Jones couldn't buy the N.Y. Knicks but he could buy the Dallas Mavericks. So Checketts owning the St. Louis Blues isn't a problem as long as he keeps the scRams in St. Louis or moves them to LA. If Checketts buys them then they will probably stay in St. Louis.

I know this is a rule that the NFL has, but where does Stan Kroenke fit in? He has a 40% stake in the Rams, but he owns the Nuggets and the Avalanche, where the Broncos play. If that doesn't violate the rule, I don't know what does. Unless the rule specifically states that you can't be the majority investor in both...

I know this is a rule that the NFL has, but where does Stan Kroenke fit in? He has a 40% stake in the Rams, but he owns the Nuggets and the Avalanche, where the Broncos play. If that doesn't violate the rule, I don't know what does. Unless the rule specifically states that you can't be the majority investor in both...

I think you can't be the controlling partner.

Here is an idea America.... stop taxing dead people? (their heirs included). The founding fathers would be ashamed.

St Louis fans are not that nervous about losing them. The way the Rams have been playing they will pack the moving vans. St Louis fans zero interest in financing a new stadium which by contract they are required to do or the team is allowed to move, they loathe the seat licenses they have already bought and and watching games in the dome absolutely sucks.