Former Buffalo Brave & Buff St Grad Randy Smith died

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RIP Randy - a real hometown hero to any kid who grew up w/ the Braves (and ever tried to emulate the Randy leg kick on their jumpers). God I loved the Braves.

When I was a kid, not sure how it started but from the time I was 10 yrs old at basketball practices we would always call 'suicide' sprints 'Randys' - it wasn't until later that I realized everyone didn't call them that. I still have to catch myself sometimes on teams I coach to not call them that...

That is a shame, RIP to a Buffalo legend. I haven't really watched an NBA game since the Braves left Buffalo, but never missed them when they were there. Randy Smith with Bob McAdoo and Ernie Degregorio (sure I spelled it wrong) brought some good childhood memories for me.

Jeez...I am serious...David Carradine and Randy Smith were major figures in my childhood...if Leonard Nimoy were to pass away today, I would feel like I had a hellhound on my trail...

LOL Tex......you did hear promo the robot has left us???

I remember a game I attended and Smith did a reverse dunk and it was the 1st time any of us saw one. He was 6'3" and the Aud just went nuts. What a great player. I also remember the All-Star game when he won MVP. Just great to watch.

I've got Buffalo news pictures of the Braves games that I collected from 72-75. I have a picture of Randy doing the reverse dunks.

(My dad went to Bishop Duffy with Calvin Murphy....but that is another story.)

It must be a good one, since Calvin Murphy went to Norwalk High School in Norwalk, CT.

Randy Smith was a three-sport Small College All-American at Buff State: soccer, basketball, and track. Maybe the greatest all-round athlete ever to pass our way in WNY.

RIP.

So many memories of the Braves and Randy Smith...

Bob McAdoo and Randy Smith were the cornerstones of that team, with apologies to Ernie D.

Rest in Peace and thanks for the memories

What a great time in Buffalo. We had other stars on the Braves; Jim McMillen, Elmore Smith, Bob Kauffman -but Randy was the Man. He did his grocery shopping at the Tops I worked at then. Just a great guy -always easy going and would talk with anyone.

R.I.P.

Disclaimer: Long post, but I tried to make it worth the read....

I have lived everywhere in my life. But, for one year, I lived in Buffalo as a supposed 1st grader, specifically on Highgate (street or avenue, I have no clue, and I don't care). That year was a "welcome to the real world" year for my sorry ass 7 year old existence.

These were the days of "take 1 smart white boy and 1 smart white girl and bus their asses downtown because their example will set the tone for the rest of the black kids". I was the elementary "example" to be followed. (I can just see Kelly TFBD and the rest of the Obama lap dogs saying: why oh why did we send this idiot?) Answer: This is what happens when we let dumbass liberals "go wild".

You think I'm kidding? Check out the theory of "inclusion" right here. Look, even an idiot understands that in 1978 a little, skipped a grade, d-bag like myself was not going to get all the black kids in the school to start taking an interest in doing math. Especially not Montessori math. And this was way before I was even kind of good at sports. We had just moved from Korea and all I knew was soccer....poorly. And there was this OJ guy....

As a necessity, I suddenly took on a strong interest in learning how to fight. I became, and for the rest of my life, really, really good at it, to my and my subsequent opponent's, great displeasure. But also, I found out that I could only whip the entire class so many times. I was suddenly "enlightened".

I realized that I watched Randy Smith play basketball....the same as the rest of the boys. I realized that the only way I would ever have anything in common with anybody at that school was by talking about sports. More importantly, I realized that if us boys were talking sports, all the girls were told to STFU and get out of the way. Girls, then as now, were the root cause of most of my troubles. Mostly this had to do with my "peers" singing the Buffalo Braves song, which would always mean we would play with our pretend basketball, and they would have to step aside.

For the youngins, you were cool if you could sing this song while you made a decent "move", with the "ball", to the basket:

Buffalo...(bump, bump, bump).........Braves

Buffalo...(bump, bump, bump).........Braves

Just imagine Randy Smith pulling a power move on the "Buffalo" part, then pulling back to get the D help out of position on the "bump, bump, bump" part, shooting, and the ball going in on the "Braves" part of the song. And then they would "automagically" put up his stats on the screen.

Swear to God, Randy Smith, in his own way, did more for me than is fathomable for most people...unless you were ever a "magnet kid". (My dad went to Bishop Duffy with Calvin Murphy....but that is another story.)

I never knew the man, and I still don't care. But, my eternal interest in sports, and the value I place on being able to talk sports with anyone, anywhere, all started with Randy Smith.

RIP Brother. Your ability and the theme song kept me out of more serious trouble that year...until we moved to Cleveland. :thumbsup:

This would have been a great post if you left the petty political stuff out.

Randy Smith was before my time, but I have always been very interest in our former NBA team. I'm thinkign about getting a throwback jersey and since McAdoo is the popular choice, I think I'm gonna opt for a Smith one instead. Plus, you gotta respect away who makes the NBA from Buff St. RIP.

Randy Smith was a three-sport Small College All-American at Buff State: soccer, basketball, and track. Maybe the greatest all-round athlete ever to pass our way in WNY.

RIP.

I agree entirely. He was a modern day Jim Thorpe.

RIP, Randy.

This would have been a great post if you left the petty political stuff out.

Randy Smith was before my time, but I have always been very interest in our former NBA team. I'm thinkign about getting a throwback jersey and since McAdoo is the popular choice, I think I'm gonna opt for a Smith one instead. Plus, you gotta respect away who makes the NBA from Buff St. RIP.

Randy is a great choice for your jersey, IMO. I liked McAdoo a lot, too, but Smith was Buffalo, all the way.