What does Singletary offer his players?

There has been a lot of debate here recently over why the Bills are stuck on the treadmill of mediocrity. Is it the owner, front office, players, or coaches that should take the blame? There is enough to go around, but I think the lions (or Big Cat's) share falls on the coaching staff and its fearless leader Dick jauron. During the Bills 9 year playoff drought there have been numerous example of franchises turning their fortunes around. Most recently the Ravens, Falcons, and Dolphins proved that rebuilding in the age of parity can be immediate, it doesn't take a decade.

That leads me to Singletary and the Niners. SF finished the '07 season at 5-11. Singletary took them over in '08 (after their bye) at 2-5. He coached the team to a 5-4 record which included winning 4 of their last 5 games. So, there you have an example of the same group of players being successfully lead by a different head coach. How did he do it? Attitude, toughness, and accountability. Here's a link to a story about Singletary using hill running to toughen up his players. Meanwhile, Dick makes sure that his boys are comfy and cozy in the climate controlled bubble. I hear next he will be offering manicures and pedicures on-site before and after practice.

Another link

"It'll bring out the man in you,'' tight end Vernon Davis said.

Spikes said the brutal conditioning work reminded him of his college days at Auburn. He said the practices were so tough that players sometimes vanished overnight. "When they didn't show up, you knew they caught the next Greyhound Bus out of town," Spikes said.

Singletary took them over in '08 (after their bye) at 2-5. He coached the team to a 5-4 record which included winning 4 of their last 5 games.

7-9 isn't always 7-9 is it?

It will be interesting to see how he (& the players) handles things full time. I would expect improvement to continue followed by reports of him 'losing the team' within 4 years. He's sooooooooooo intense that he or they (I'm putting my money on the players) will wear out.

(don't take this to mean that I wouldn't welcome him for those 4-5 years)

Mike Singletary is probably the ONLY current HC that I wouldn't take over Dick Jauron.

The issues with our coaching staff relate to their decision making and gameplanning, not their lack of motivational abilities.

DJ could beat the crap out of players as described in this article, but that won't change the fact he's going to play not to lose.

Meanwhile, Dick makes sure that his boys are comfy and cozy in the climate controlled bubble. I hear next he will be offering manicures and pedicures on-site before and after practice.

Another link

So, answer me this...what kind of 'run 'em into the ground' training regime does New England, Indy or a host of other winning teams employ?

How come guys at keyboards always think the answer is to act like its a "world's strongest man' competition...

Jauron has never had a problem getting his players to play for him. If you want him to change to a "yeller" then you might as well being back the Gregg.

Now, I don't disagree that Jauron himself could use a little Singeltary in his face to get him pumped up.

But we've tried the "Ra!Ra!" coach already and it wasnt any more successful than what we have now. As a matter of fact, it has contributed to the 9 year playoff drought...

player motivation isnt the problem.

Ask Coughlin where being the tough ass, disciplinarian gets you. Yeah, it can lead to some guys playing harder. But, it wears thin pretty quickly. Had Coughlin not changed his style in NY, he'd be out of coaching by now. There has to be a balance. I would suggest that the better coaches are better at striking that balance between being a hard ass and being the nice guy.

There has been a lot of debate here recently over why the Bills are stuck on the treadmill of mediocrity. Is it the owner, front office, players, or coaches that should take the blame? There is enough to go around, but I think the lions (or Big Cat's) share falls on the coaching staff and its fearless leader Dick jauron. During the Bills 9 year playoff drought there have been numerous example of franchises turning their fortunes around. Most recently the Ravens, Falcons, and Dolphins proved that rebuilding in the age of parity can be immediate, it doesn't take a decade.

That leads me to Singletary and the Niners. SF finished the '07 season at 5-11. Singletary took them over in '08 (after their bye) at 2-5. He coached the team to a 5-4 record which included winning 4 of their last 5 games. So, there you have an example of the same group of players being successfully lead by a different head coach. How did he do it? Attitude, toughness, and accountability. Here's a link to a story about Singletary using hill running to toughen up his players. Meanwhile, Dick makes sure that his boys are comfy and cozy in the climate controlled bubble. I hear next he will be offering manicures and pedicures on-site before and after practice.

Another link

Looking at SF's schedule, an awful lot of that improvement looks like it comes from a much easier schedule later in the year.

Arizona L

@ Seattle W

Detroit W

@ New Orleans L

New England* L

Philly L

@ Giants L

switch to Singletary

Seattle L

@Arizona L

St. Louis W

@ Dallas L

@ Buffalo (sigh) W

Jets W

@ Miami L

@ St. Louis W

Washington W

Under Singletary, they got two wins against the Rams, one against the Skins, one against the Bills as we fell apart down the stretch (and were even worse against 3-4 Ds like the 49ers), and one against the Jets as Favre's arm fell apart down the stretch, destroying their season.

Before Singletary, look at their schedule. Arizona, New England*, Philly and the Giants. Brutal.

Looks to me like Singletary really benefitted from that schedule.

Mike Singletary is probably the ONLY current HC that I wouldn't take over Dick Jauron.

The issues with our coaching staff relate to their decision making and gameplanning, not their lack of motivational abilities.

DJ could beat the crap out of players as described in this article, but that won't change the fact he's going to play not to lose.

I would take ony of them over DJ. In fact, I would take just about any current coordinator, O or D, as our head coach over DJ.

Looking at SF's schedule, an awful lot of that improvement looks like it comes from a much easier schedule later in the year.

Arizona L

@ Seattle W

Detroit W

@ New Orleans L

New England* L

Philly L

@ Giants L

switch to Singletary

Seattle L

@Arizona L

St. Louis W

@ Dallas L

@ Buffalo (sigh) W

Jets W

@ Miami L

@ St. Louis W

Washington W

Under Singletary, they got two wins against the Rams, one against the Skins, one against the Bills as we fell apart down the stretch (and were even worse against 3-4 Ds like the 49ers), and one against the Jets as Favre's arm fell apart down the stretch, destroying their season.

Before Singletary, look at their schedule. Arizona, New England*, Philly and the Giants. Brutal.

Looks to me like Singletary really benefitted from that schedule.

I was just going to post this myself. Strength of schedule definately helped Singletary, but I do like Singeltary's fire. It'll be interesting to see how he does with a full year as a HC.

remember when Greg Williams tried to run an intense camp? It did not work then. My guess is that if SF starts losing Singletary will lose the team and quickly. These guys need to motivate themselves. If the [layers built the hill and started using it I would be impressed.

So I have to leave my computer for a few hours and come back to find a parade of soft Dick apologists. Don't get me wrong, I bleed Bills blue, but you have to be able to think with your head and not your heart. Dick Jauron should have been banished from the NFL for life following last years shameful collapse. His only salvation was a premature contract extension.

Lurker

Today, 12:45 PM Post #6

So, answer me this...what kind of 'run 'em into the ground' training regime does New England, Indy or a host of other winning teams employ?

There comes a point where a head coach can take it easy on a squad. When you have a successful veteran team and an established system, you can coast, much like Marv did in the "glory years." It's a privilege that you earn, not one that is simply given.

GripnRip

I disagree. See Last years Cardinals, Jets(H), Browns, Niners, and Fins(TO) games. There were times where this team looked like they were sleep walking. They were losing and looked like they couldn't care less. Those are the times where someone has to take charge and provide a spark.

but you have to be able to think with your head and not your heart.

Huh. I see very little evidence of that in your original post.

As other posters have pointed out, the 49ers late season rally was very much a a function of strength of schedule. The Bills mediocrity has been (and will only change) when the talent, not conditioning or 'ra ra' attitude improves.

I disagree. See Last years Cardinals, Jets(H), Browns, Niners, and Fins(TO) games. There were times where this team looked like they were sleep walking. They were losing and looked like they couldn't care less. Those are the times where someone has to take charge and provide a spark.

Super Bowl teams look for sparks from their players, not their coaching staff. If DJ dropped his pants at halftime of any of those games we still would've lost.

You're either naive or out of touch with reality to think our players "gave up" or sleep-walked through any part of those games. What you saw was poor execution and an extremely conservative gameplan.

Huh. I see very little evidence of that in your original post.

As other posters have pointed out, the 49ers late season rally was very much a a function of strength of schedule. The Bills mediocrity has been (and will only change) when the talent, not conditioning or 'ra ra' attitude improves.

You really put your ignorance on display for all to see with that one. Did you really just diminish the importance of a late season winning streak in the NFL? :wallbash: I would take a 5-4 finish under an interim coach over a 2-8 finish with a proven loser of a head coach anytime. Singletary already has Jauron beat. .555 win % after a partial season. Nice try, thanks for playing.