The World's Last Losman Fan

Hey, if JP doesn't find a team and Trent gets injured and goes on IR, it wouldn't surprise me to see Jauron bring him back to Buffalo.

That's a valid point. Certainly, stranger things have happened. And, we could do worse than having Losman on the roster as a backup.

But JP doesn't strike me as the type to come back after his history in Buffalo.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree, I think that if you put Losman in the right offense he can be a pro bowler. He has the tools, all he needs is coaching.

JP can never be a probowler. He has the physical attributes but he does not have the mental atttributes. He does not see the filed or dissect D's at all.

That's a valid point. Certainly, stranger things have happened. And, we could do worse than having Losman on the roster as a backup.

GO BILLS!!!

Actually, I am not sure how much worse we could do with Losman on the roster. Did you watch him play in the Jets, Dolphins, 49ers games? I fear those performances have bought him a ticket to the CFL....

Actually, I am not sure how much worse we could do with Losman on the roster. Did you watch him play in the Jets, Dolphins, 49ers games? I fear those performances have bought him a ticket to the CFL....

Worse is a relative term. We could do worse than having a QB less 'physically' capable than JP with absolutely 'no' knowledge of our system. How much worse? I agree with you on this point entirely. And, given that Schonert is suppsedly changing elements of his philosophy, JP's knowledge of the system may not be as big a factor anymore. That said, I guess 'not much worse' is where I end up. But, it could still be worse.

As for the specific games you mentioned, I judge JP on his entire body of work, including his work in training camps. That's the most frustating part of JP's maturation as a QB. Those three games from last year showed him making the exact same mistakes he was making as a rookie. Maddening.

GO BILLS!!!

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=26570

Any of you guys Shaun in Rochester?

If this is indeed the case, why don't any of the other 31 NFL GMs (+ their hundreds of pro player scouts) believe this too? It seems that Joyner can make such outlandish comments because he will never be proved wrong. He is not saying JP is a PB player, he is saying he would be if he was playing in the right system. The key is, JP will never get the chance to prove/disprove Joyner's statements - thus Joyner will never be held accountable for this statement.

I do like your philosophy, a combination of optimism and recognition that things can always be worse. I guess that is what makes us Bills fans, huh? :cry:

Your second para really nails the JP problem, though, and should speak to those who believe that "the right coach" could resurrect JP. He has had plenty of chances to show different pro coaches (two head coaches, three coordinators, to start with) what he can do, and yet he has never been able to instill in them the kind of confidence that would lead them to commit to him. I think they are seeing his weaknesses much more clearly than those of us who still sigh over his "run around for a bit, then fling it as far as he can for Lee to run under it" moments.

Go Bills!

Worse is a relative term. We could do worse than having a QB less 'physically' capable than JP with absolutely 'no' knowledge of our system. How much worse? I agree with you on this point entirely. And, given that Schonert is suppsedly changing elements of his philosophy, JP's knowledge of the system may not be as big a factor anymore. That said, I guess 'not much worse' is where I end up. But, it could still be worse.

As for the specific games you mentioned, I judge JP on his entire body of work, including his work in training camps. That's the most frustating part of JP's maturation as a QB. Those three games from last year showed him making the exact same mistakes he was making as a rookie. Maddening.

GO BILLS!!!

And, we could do worse than having Losman on the roster as a backup.

GO BILLS!!!

This is exactly the kind of thinking and attitude that has filled all the seats in "Ralph Wilson Stadium" year after year and made Ralph bulletproof despite the crappy 10 years of football. It has also made him one of the wealthiest owners in the league.

I'm still a JP fan, I like him as a player (when on the sidelines) and what I know of him as a person. But even I think he sucks, he would be good if the other team lined up with 7 defensive players on the field and none were defensive backs (Dick Jauron would have a heart attack if he didn't see DBs on the field). I think he can be good as a football player, but my flag football league doesn't pay much. Better luck as a QB coach for some high school team.

This is exactly the kind of thinking and attitude that has filled all the seats in "Ralph Wilson Stadium" year after year and made Ralph bulletproof despite the crappy 10 years of football. It has also made him one of the wealthiest owners in the league.

Really? Here's a clue: RW is 'bulletproof' anyway.

There, I kept my post to one sentence which should make it easier to keep it in context this time.

GO BILLS!!!

KC's theory might be outlandish, but he backs up everything he says with actual investigation

His theory will probably never be tested, and that's too bad, but his methods look sound to me.

JP can not even be a decent backup. As of right now he cannot be a 3rd string on anyones team.

I was all set to disagree with you.

I even went so far as to go to NFL.com and get a list of 3rd string QBs that JP is a better option.

First team I clicked on was Baltimore (teams sorted alphabetically by conference). Then I saw they had signed John Beck

John Beck :ph34r:

John Beck got signed and JP didn't? :ph34r:

I was all set to disagree with you.

I even went so far as to go to NFL.com and get a list of 3rd string QBs that JP is a better option.

First team I clicked on was Baltimore (teams sorted alphabetically by conference). Then I saw they had signed John Beck

John Beck :ph34r:

John Beck got signed and JP didn't? :ph34r:

The world was watching that Jet game because of Farve being in it and watched JP and that roll out touchdown... for the Jets, He might not find a job in the NFL until that game fades in memories.

JP can not even be a decent backup. As of right now he cannot be a 3rd string on anyones team.

JP's years in the NFL work against him being a 3rd stringer. Most teams want a minimum salaried player as the 3rd stringer. JP has 5 years in the league & his minimum is more than a player with less experience. Look at the 3rd stringers & you won't find many who have been starters for a season or more. If you're a veteran & you can't get yourself a 2nd string slot, you're on the street until injuries open one up & the team feels you're the best option from the street guys.

GO BILLS!!!

JP! JP! JP! JP! Enough already with this loser, he can't afford to turn down a job in the CFL.

Yes, all you have to do is launch deep every play and Pro Bowlers are made!!!

How is Joyner even legit after such a statement?

Totally agree. No team can live off the bomb. It should be part of the package, but you need a run game and a short passing game to set up the long ball every now & then. It is a ridiculous statement.

nice drop. He's got all the physical skills. But, he lacked the mental grasp of it in Buffalo. Was it strange and difficult play calling on Buffalo's part? Or, was it Losman's inability to read and react to NFL defenses that led to his average play? From what I've observed, I'd say he couldn't do it mentally. Will that change with a new offense? I think the Bills dumbed down their play book quite a bit. I hope he has luck, and finds the Pro Bowl and all the rest. I was drawn to this post because Losman, as much as he's been attacked and labeled, talked like I want to hear a pro QB talk. When he got drafted he said something like - I want to bring greatness back to Buffalo and the Bills. He didn't say, I'd like to do good, and help the team, and be a team player, and make the playoffs. He said he wanted to be great, and for the Bills to be great. That is the kind of mentality I'd like to see more of (ironically)!

Talk is cheap.

I don't know who you're talking to, but your points are invalid. We're discussing Losman as a Football player, not whether we like him as a person or not. If you're talking about my post, it was in regards to the assumption that the Bills would bring him back if TE got hurt, so if you agree with that idea, then you, too, can join the Losman fan club....

For the record, I own his jersey and hoped just as much as everyone else that he'd be our guy. It didn't work out, not even a little bit. We can play the blame game all day long, but the bottom line is that the team has sinced moved on. If you can't, then perhaps you can follow him to his next team and route for him there. Maybe your ideas of him being SO smart that he'll win a Superbowl elsewhere will come true, then you can come back here and tell the rest of us how stupid we were. I'll be waiting, but you can rest assured I won't be holding my breath .... :D

OK...sorry about that...I do apolagize. It was not clear to me it was a football only...I'm sick of seeing JP threads and decided to attack.

(This is why I rarely post even though I've been reading the wall for the last 14 years.)

For the record, I felt bad coaching and bad O-Line ruined his chance to develop into a good QB.

IMHO - He would have been a good NFL QB under tutelage of a superior coach like Belicheat.

Also - I did imply (and meant) the only way he's going to a superbowl is playing in a rock band.

He's not going to do it on any NFL team, ever.

Peace,

Your beer judgment challenged club pres.

JP planted a few trees and picked up garbage one day for the media and he's a great guy?? Wouldn't it have been better for him and his community if he spent some time reviewing game film in the off season and prior to games? When he got benched last year, wouldn't he have been a better guy if he at least gave the appearance of faked interest as to what was going on in the game instead of showing the TV audience his "I can't believe I'm not playing" mope while isolating himself at the end of the bench wearing his goofy beard and full-length cover-up?

And stop with the "he had all the tools" stuff. He was a good athlete, ok. But a great athlete doesn't get chased down by 300 lb linemen and he can make a fast LB miss him at least a few times. He was supposed to be this great "scrambler" coming out of Tulane. He was just too slow-footed. Flutie was a better athlete than JP.

As for the "long bombs" to Evans, there were so few of those over his career that it cannot sustain the myth that he would be a better "fit" in a big passing offense. Sasquatch has been sited in Buffalo more times than JP ever hooked up with Evans for a long TD.

Ok...that's a good point...once he knew he was done he checked out...but I don't equate that with him not being a great guy...that's just burn out from seeing the same incompetent coaching.

I also didn't say he was a great guy...but he's a better guy than a lot of NFL players because actually took initiative, and this whole country would be better off if sports stars actually made an effort to care.

Yeah those idiots Jack Kemp and Jim Kelly did nothing to promote, clean up and help the WNY region. :D

You mean before they were household names and everyone loved them on the field?

Just making sure we are comparing apples to apples here.

Thanks for the responses y'all...I'm out for the night to play some percussion.

The Music Never Stops...

OK...sorry about that...I do apolagize. It was not clear to me it was a football only...I'm sick of seeing JP threads and decided to attack.

(This is why I rarely post even though I've been reading the wall for the last 14 years.)

For the record, I felt bad coaching and bad O-Line ruined his chance to develop into a good QB.

IMHO - He would have been a good NFL QB under tutelage of a superior coach like Belicheat.

Also - I did imply (and meant) the only way he's going to a superbowl is playing in a rock band.

He's not going to do it on any NFL team, ever.

Peace,

Your beer judgment challenged club pres.

Got it! :D

For the record, I think you and I probably feel the same way about him, I'm just at a point now where I'd rather just move on with the team. Seemed like a good guy, and I'm sure he tried real hard, it just didn't work out (for whatever reason). I don't wish any bad will on him and hope he is successful at whatever comes next. Thanks for clearing your post up! I agree, the bash JP threads have gotten lame.....think it's time to forget and move on.

I agree

Even Vince Young made the pro bowl.

He only made it because he is black. That is obvious and not racial unless you are black. Enough said.

Thousands of guys have the ability to throw an accurate deep ball and are athletic as well. Very few of them become good NFL quarterbacks.

Losman clearly didnt have the mental game down when he was here. He got better as a quarterback, but he still fumbled often, threw inexplicable interceptions, and choked. His completion percentage on third and short passes was 20%.

A more mature Losman with a fresh start could mean his skills make him a solid backup.

Thousands of guys have the ability to throw an accurate deep ball and are athletic as well. Very few of them become good NFL quarterbacks.

Losman clearly didnt have the mental game down when he was here. He got better as a quarterback, but he still fumbled often, threw inexplicable interceptions, and choked. His completion percentage on third and short passes was 20%.

A more mature Losman with a fresh start could mean his skills make him a solid backup.