Sully's Schobel article. Hey, he said something kinda positive ab

Maybe draft a second DE - Everett Brown - rather than opting for a Safety...? Pressure up front always makes an average player in the secondary, a much better performer. I was happy with the Maybin pick, but coming away with two young edge/speed rushers would have been ideal.

So your idea would be to "double up" on inexperienced rookie defensive ends....which kind falls into Sieve's complaint about a rookie not being a impact player for years....

Interesting

Trying to agitate ...? Man, I thought that was a GREAT lead-in. Beats the crap out of the standard, How did practice go today, How does your foot feel, or What do you think about TO?

Throughout his history in Buffalo, the guy has been an agitator. He is always pissing and moaning about something. I recall that one of the first articles he wrote for the News was a Sunday piece that went after Bruce Smith pretty hard.

In this instance, it was pretty obvious to me that he was trying to get Schobel to say something negative about TO and the fact that he got a key to the city on the first day of OTA's after just joining the team.

Sullivan clearly had an agenda and was trying to get Schobel to go along. I understand Sullivan is a "columnist," but for the most part, he seems to know very little about football.

Just my two cents.

So your idea would be to "double up" on inexperienced rookie defensive ends....which kind falls into Sieve's complaint about a rookie not being a impact player for years....

Interesting

Yes, that would be my idea precisely. It is a much better idea than to select an inexperienced corner, turn him into a safety, and ignore the fact that another quality speed rusher was still on the board. I also never said anything about a rook not being an impact player for years. Some rookies "get it" early and are able to contribute immediately. What if "God Forbid (knocking on wood)" Maybin gets hurt? Who would be our edge rusher to complement Schobel if that were to happen John from Hemet?? We would be in the same predicament as we were in last year...

The Bills still gave up 4.3 yards/carry and 122 yds/game. And that's with an offense that most teams knew going in wouldn't put up many points. Point being, most teams didn't have to throw on Buffalo. Denver did have to throw and they went up and down the field like a marching band, though they did lose in the end. :thumbsup:

Yes, that would be my idea precisely. It is a much better idea than to select an inexperienced corner, turn him into a safety, and ignore the fact that another quality speed rusher was still on the board. I also never said anything about a rook not being an impact player for years. Some rookies "get it" early and are able to contribute immediately. What if "God Forbid (knocking on wood)" Maybin gets hurt? Who would be our edge rusher to complement Schobel if that were to happen John from Hemet?? We would be in the same predicament as we were in last year...

I see what you're saying - I was in the draft Brown camp when we were on teh clock for #42 - but the more I think about it, the less I'm a fan of trying to re-do 40% of a position. If they take Maybin and Brown, they still have Schobel, Kelsey, Denney, Ellis, and Bryan. We can throw Bryan out right away and we still have 6 total. Who gets cut? Kelsey, obviously? Maybe not. He seems most likely to me and I'm sure we don't need to get into why. The problem as I see it is that these two DEs we drafted are both considered undersized and likely are not able to play on running downs effectively. That leaves Ellis (unknown), Denney and Schobel for obvious running situations. I don't know how comfortable I would feel with them in there on 3rd and 1. I don't even know if I would feel that great about Schobel coming out for Johnson on the outside, especially considering it's usually not as simple as 3rd and 1. Granted, 3rd adn 15 would be pretty scary against us with whatever combo they put ont he field.

The other thing that occurred to me was that the FS we got could be a solid player and help us get some INTs/Fumbles. He was a four year starter at CB, had good ball skills, is a "student of the game", and was known to play the run well. That sounds like a guy I want playing in the backfield. Maybe moreso than a small DE from a school known to "bust" them out (pun intended).

I see what you're saying - I was in the draft Brown camp when we were on teh clock for #42 - but the more I think about it, the less I'm a fan of trying to re-do 40% of a position. If they take Maybin and Brown, they still have Schobel, Kelsey, Denney, Ellis, and Bryan. We can throw Bryan out right away and we still have 6 total. Who gets cut? Kelsey, obviously? Maybe not. He seems most likely to me and I'm sure we don't need to get into why. The problem as I see it is that these two DEs we drafted are both considered undersized and likely are not able to play on running downs effectively. That leaves Ellis (unknown), Denney and Schobel for obvious running situations. I don't know how comfortable I would feel with them in there on 3rd and 1. I don't even know if I would feel that great about Schobel coming out for Johnson on the outside, especially considering it's usually not as simple as 3rd and 1. Granted, 3rd adn 15 would be pretty scary against us with whatever combo they put ont he field.

The other thing that occurred to me was that the FS we got could be a solid player and help us get some INTs/Fumbles. He was a four year starter at CB, had good ball skills, is a "student of the game", and was known to play the run well. That sounds like a guy I want playing in the backfield. Maybe moreso than a small DE from a school known to "bust" them out (pun intended).

Stop making so much sense...this is TSW, after all.

Good point......what would you suggest that the bills should have done?

I am not knocking you....just wanted to know what your ideas were on that.

Aside from bringing in a free agent for the OLB spot Ellison occupies I am trying to figure out where the significant upgrade would have been.

Personally I was kinda hoping when the Jason Peters trade rumors to Philly first started popping up that we could've persued the option of trading Peters for Trent Cole, instead of multiple draft picks. It would've solved needs for both teams. We replace a good lt, with a legit rush end, and still would've had the 11th pick to use. If that wasn't feasible I would've gone with option B of drafting multiple dend players. Personally I was kind of hoping for Jarron Gilbert before chicago picked him up in the 4th. The strategy of drafting multiple dline players generally pans out well for teams like the giants and chicago, who have a glutton of dends. There were rumors that Osi Umenyoria was available for trade, although I think that was just an attempt to try to get Braylon Edwards or Boldin.

Everette Brown might've been worth the pick in the 2nd. It still may have taken a few years but we would be in better position to make the transition away from our older ineffective dends. The overall free agent landscape for pass rushers was almost non existant, and it usually is, as teams won't let good dends get away. We missed out on Cam Wake to the dolphins, who knows if we persued Jason Taylor. Someone like Bertrand Berry while older, for a short term stop gap is still a better option than Kelsay or Denney. Again I'm glad they drafted Maybin and recognized the need. It just feels like throwing all the eggs in one basket. A lot of people may not be willing to accept that Maybin probably wont do much of anything this year, and we'll be in the exact same situation defensively that we've been in for several years. It's not worth it to even talk about the lack of dt depth or quality lb's. It's dissapointing to see teams like ne, philly, giants, chicago who can come at you in waves with their front 7 could even have an injury or 2 and not miss a beat. Than you have the Bills who would be terrible if god forbid Marcus Stroud were to miss time. All for the braintrusts desire for defensive backs.

Yes it did...both when he was on the field and when he was hurt.

I was worried for a minute when I had made it almost the entire way through a Schobel thread and you hadn't yet shown up to remind everybody how clueless you are and how little you see and understand.

Glad to see you're still OK. :thumbsup:

Maybe draft a second DE - Everett Brown - rather than opting for a Safety...? Pressure up front always makes an average player in the secondary, a much better performer. I was happy with the Maybin pick, but coming away with two young edge/speed rushers would have been ideal.

I really believe 31 teams are going to be smacking themselves hard on their foreheads for that pass - Everette Brown is going to tear it up.

http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/columns...ory/676010.html

Good article.

I don't think Schobel's being out had as much to do with the Bills' post 4 - 1 nose-dive as just a schedule full of actual opponents. But I totally agree that Schobel doesn't get nearly as much credit here as he deserves. The guy has been our only rushing threat for a long, long time.

It oughta be interesting to see what he can do with teams nervous about Maybin on the other side.

Go, Schobel!

I think most of us are more nervous about Maybin than our opponents. I hope he has a good rookie season (5-6 sacks and the multiplier for pressures).

I like the fact they drafted Maybin, but that was literally the only move to address the weakest area of our defense in the front 7. He's 20 years old, extremely raw and will probably be 2-3 years before he becomes the impact player we need at the position. More should've been done to add to the depth of this group. It seems foolish to rely on Maybin and Chris Ellis to mature, and 3 30+ year old dends only 1 of whom is actually any good.

Like many I'm on record for wanting to get another rookie pass rusher...doubles your chances of success although that didn't really work out for Jacksonville with Derrick Harvey and Quintin Groves last year. Still, we could have had Everette Brown at #42 and Lawrence Sidbury or Connor Barwin at #121.

Another option would be one similar to the one New England is investigating after losing in the Jason Taylor derby...trading for Raiders' pass rusher Derrick Burgess (47 career sacks in 8 years, 2 Pro Bowls, NFL leading 16 sacks in 2005). Reggie Hayward, the Jacksonville pass rusher was supposedly available this offseason. A veteran (bridge) pass rusher would look pretty good right now too.

I agree. Because of his relentless nature, who can tell how many "hustle sacks" he may have acquired in those close match-ups?

Additionally, re: impact - I think if he can lower the overall snaps of the DE rotation as a whole with his presence, we'll have a fresher Schobel, Kelsay, Denney, SP. Johnson and Maybin - which would in fact allow for more overall pass rush than last year. How much more is the question.

Ask the offense.

GO BILLS!!!

The Schobel hate always amazed me. He is a 2 time pro bowl DE. Do you think he just gets elected because of his electric personality? :wacko: Statisically, he is one of the most productive DEs in the last 7 years, yet people on here hate on him. And before you say it's cause it's the money he's making, he's a DE who always get paid big bucks.

Fact is, Schobel has never played with a legit pass rush on the other side and will finish as the the 2nd best DE in Bills' history.

The Schobel hate always amazed me. He is a 2 time pro bowl DE. Do you think he just gets elected because of his electric personality? :wacko: Statisically, he is one of the most productive DEs in the last 7 years, yet people on here hate on him. And before you say it's cause it's the money he's making, he's a DE who always get paid big bucks.

Fact is, Schobel has never played with a legit pass rush on the other side and will finish as the the 2nd best DE in Bills' history.

Yeah, I have tremendous respect for the guy. He suffered from all the memories of Bruce around Buffalo, and if Maybin is a good pick, it could really improve perception of Aaron for the last few years of his career.

Second-best DE in Bills history? Ron McDole might have something to say about that.

That duly noted, Sully's dead on: some of the people who were so eager to slap the "overrated" tag on No. 94 might hesitate to do that again, now that they've seen what the pass rush looked like without him.

Second-best DE in Bills history? Ron McDole might have something to say about that.

That duly noted, Sully's dead on: some of the people who were so eager to slap the "overrated" tag on No. 94 might hesitate to do that again, now that they've seen what the pass rush looked like without him.

And I'm sure Schobel would say "Ron Who?"

Of course Sully might just be playing one of his favorite games (setting him up to knock him down) if Schobel gets off to a slow start.... :lol:

Of course Sully might just be playing one of his favorite games (setting him up to knock him down) if Schobel gets off to a slow start.... :lol:

Never can tell. I do think he's including himself among the "you" in this excerpt, though. For him, that's pretty close to writing "I messed up":

For years, Bills fans took him for granted. Schobel was one of the top pass-rushing ends in the game, a Pro Bowler. At times, he struck me as a bit overrated, and overpaid at $7 million a season.

Funny how things go in life.

Sometimes you don’t truly appreciate a player until he’s gone. Last year, Schobel suffered a nasty sprain of his left foot. He missed the last 11 games of the season.

The Bills, who were 4-1 when he got hurt, lost eight of their last 11. The pass rush was feeble without him. The Bills finished tied for 28th in the NFL in sacks. Key to the city? Key to the defense is more like it.