How do we compare to the Jets and Dolphins?

I think that the best question we have when examining wither we will make the playoffs is are we better than the Jets and or the Dolphins. I think that the Dolphins will take a step back after the two steps up. They improved along the offensive line and in their secondary. They return a good front seven but the front seven is a little older and more likely to take a step down.

The Dolphins weakness is really their offense. Chad pennington is always due for an injury and they have no wide outs. They also won't have the surprise of the wildcat. I think the Fins go 8-8 they have the defense but not the offensive fire power.

The Jets have a really good defense and a good coach to lead it. Yet their offense may be the worst in the division. They don't have the wide receivers and their QB is a rookie. They also have an aging o-line as well. The Jets go 7-9 they take a step back to develop a QB.

Now the Bills, I think that our defense ( this is if we get Pisa ) is a solid unit. A very good secondary and a slightly above average front seven. The bills offense may have the best skill position players and the worst o-line in the division. Trent is a injury case who is boom or bust. I think that its close but the Bills will be 9-7 or 10-6 and end up better than the Fins and Jets

The X-factor is coaching. Will Ryan be a hit or a miss for the Jets and is Sporano a one hit wounder or a real good coach. With Jauron we may have the worst coach in the division.

I think that the best question we have when examining wither we will make the playoffs is are we better than the Jets and or the Dolphins. I think that the Dolphins will take a step back after the two steps up. They improved along the offensive line and in their secondary. They return a good front seven but the front seven is a little older and more likely to take a step down.

The Dolphins weakness is really their offense. Chad pennington is always due for an injury and they have no wide outs. They also won't have the surprise of the wildcat. I think the Fins go 8-8 they have the defense but not the offensive fire power.

The Jets have a really good defense and a good coach to lead it. Yet their offense may be the worst in the division. They don't have the wide receivers and their QB is a rookie. They also have an aging o-line as well. The Jets go 7-9 they take a step back to develop a QB.

Now the Bills, I think that our defense ( this is if we get Pisa ) is a solid unit. A very good secondary and a slightly above average front seven. The bills offense may have the best skill position players and the worst o-line in the division. Trent is a injury case who is boom or bust. I think that its close but the Bills will be 9-7 or 10-6 and end up better than the Fins and Jets

The X-factor is coaching. Will Ryan be a hit or a miss for the Jets and is Sporano a one hit wounder or a real good coach. With Jauron we may have the worst coach in the division.

Pennington is a savy veteran who is a proven winner in this league and he's now in his second year with his new team one would think he might improve. So I still think Miami's better then us until we can show we can beat them on the field. The Jets however think are going to take a few steps back starting a rookie at QB and losing Lavernous Coles. That said their defense might be better but still think we hold an edge over them but there's still a chance we could split our series with them. Yet with the Patriots to me still far and away the best team in this division which means we have to contend with teams like the Dolphins/Colts/Titans/Jaguars (I think Torry Holt could be the WR they've needed since losing Jimmy Smith)/Bengals (with a healthy Carson Palmer) for a Wild Card spot which is going to be tough. While there's a good chance we could go 10-6 I have doubts especially after last season when thought 10-6 was realistic as well but some how managed to go 7-9 again.

Penning is a savy veteran who is a proven winner in this league. So I still think Miami's better then us. The Jets however think are going to take a few steps back starting a rookie at QB and losing Lavernous Coles. That said their defense might be better but think we hold an edge over them. Yet the patriots are still far and away the best team in this division which means we have to contend with teams like the Dolphins/Colts/Titans/Jaguars/Bengals (with a healthy Carson Palmer) for a Wild Card spot. While there's a good chance we could go 10-6 I have doubts especially after last season when thought 10-6 was realistic as well but some how managed to go 7-9 again.

Yeah Pennington is a very good QB when healthy but just when you think he has put to rest his health concerns he goes out and gets injured. There is a reason he is a two time comeback player of the year. But its a lack of confidence in Pennington's health and the fact that they did little to address their lack of WR's and the highly likely possibility of Joey Porter not having the same year is a few more issues the Fins have.

I would take Edwards over the Fins backup by a long shot. I would even take Fitzpatrick over Chad Henne for a win now situation.

Yeah Pennington is a very good QB when healthy but just when you think he has put to rest his health concerns he goes out and gets injured. There is a reason he is a two time comeback player of the year. But its a lack of confidence in Pennington's health and the fact that they did little to address their lack of WR's and the highly likely possibility of Joey Porter not having the same year is a few more issues the Fins have.

I would take Edwards over the Fins backup by a long shot. I would even take Fitzpatrick over Chad Henne for a win now situation.

Yes, Pennington health is an issue but again assuming he stays healthy then the Dolphins are better then us. In terms of Porter let's not forget they just brought Jason Taylor back to the mix. Who to me is arguable better then any DE/OLB on the entire Bills roster.

I am scared of the jets this year...creating a ravens type mold is not good for anyone :devil:

I respect Rex Ryan as a D-cordinator but to me the Jets lack a leader in their defense (see Ray Ray), an Ed Reed type and a pass rusher in the mold of Terrell Suggs. Toss in rookie QBs winning is an exception to the rule not the norm like we saw last year so wouldn't be shocked to see them go 5-11. That said again wouldn't be shocked to see them beat us at least once.

I am scared of the jets this year...creating a ravens type mold is not good for anyone :devil:

Well the Jets do scare me but not this year their QB and skill position players just aren't there. Next year they will concern me as long as their o-line doesn't fall apart. I think if Sanchez develops into a great QB they can spend their next off season on getting the targets for him

But yeah this year they just don't scare me

Well the Jets do scare me but not this year their QB and skill position players just aren't there. Next year they will concern me as long as their o-line doesn't fall apart. I think if Sanchez develops into a great QB they can spend their next off season on getting the targets for him

But yeah this year they just don't scare me

very true....we will just have to see...it is nice that coles is gone that should be nice. But again look at baltimore, run run run and a solid defense. We will have to see.

Two words... Pat White! One word...Wildcat

The Dolphins just got Jason Taylor back and Joey Porter with his 17 sacks last season will now play every down instead of part time.

My take is the Dolphins and Pats will battle for the division and the Jets and Bills will battle for the better draft pick. With a complete overhaul of that O line spells DISASTER for Buffalo, even with TO. Unless the Bills find a way to get more experience on that line they are doomed with Schonert calling constant pass plays.

we are better than both of those teams.

we can run on them, we can pass on them, we can (now) rush them as they pass, and our secondary matches up well with their thin skill talent.

we pwn them on special teams. 4-0 vs them this year.

How can you guys say we are flat out better than these teams? Not only did they have better records than us last season but they each beat us twice. I think the dolphins are going to be as good as they were last year if not better. And if Sanchez can perform the Jets could be a playoff team.

How can you guys say we are flat out better than these teams? Not only did they have better records than us last season but they each beat us twice. I think the dolphins are going to be as good as they were last year if not better. And if Sanchez can perform the Jets could be a playoff team.

but the jets and dolphins suck

The Dolphins just got Jason Taylor back and Joey Porter with his 17 sacks last season will now play every down instead of part time.

My take is the Dolphins and Pats will battle for the division and the Jets and Bills will battle for the better draft pick. With a complete overhaul of that O line spells DISASTER for Buffalo, even with TO. Unless the Bills find a way to get more experience on that line they are doomed with Schonert calling constant pass plays.

Jason Taylor is an upgrade but there is no way Joey Porter is the same player he was last year. Porter is 32 and while he will have a good year he is not going to have 17 sacks. He will be a 8-10 sack guy good but not great. and Pat White doesn't have the element of surprise the wildcat will be defended much better this year teams will find the blue print to stop it, that is if they haven't already found it.

You are right though despite our awesome skill position players we have an o-line that sports three new starters and the other two will have a shift in position. Our o-line is a crap shoot and its weighted to struggle early on.

I believe it comes down to whomever has the most questions unanswered for the upcoming season. Other than special teams, the Bills aren't set anywhere on the football field. Without even taking count, I know the Bills have the most questionable roster in the AFC East, by far.

Let's take a look.

Buffalo

1. Can Trent take the next step?

2. Can the offensive line gel in time for the start of regular season?

3. Can T.O. perform well at the age of 36 and will he behave?

4. Is Schouman/Nelson ready to start at TE?

5. Will Maybin be NFL ready as a rook?

6. Will Schobel regain his old form?

7. Can Pos take his game to the next level?

8. Will anyone emerge as a viable starter at Ellison's OLB position?

9. Now that McKelvin is a full time starter, will he be an upgrade over Greer?

10. Are we finally set at safety after having drafted Byrd to play FS?

11. Can Trent stay healthy?

12. How will the Bills perform without Lynch the first three weeks?

That makes 12 questions the Bills need answered on the football field. Too many, if you ask me. A team needs to have some certainty to be able to compete in a division as tough as ours.

Miami

1. Will the wildcat still be effective?

2. Can Pennington stay healthy?

3. Will someone step up at receiver?

4. Can Taylor, Porter, and Ferguson hold up another year in their front seven?

5. Is their secondary good enough to compete?

Overall, the Dolphins are a well built team. Parcells fixed both defensive and offensive lines last year and that's where football games are won.

New York

1. Who will be their QB and is he ready? This is a huge question, IMO. Worth more than one point, if you ask me.

2. Do they have an adequate second or even first receiver?

3. How will the defense adapt to the new scheme brought in by Ryan?

4. Can they get to the quarterback on defense?

New York can easily be the worst team in our division or finish in second. It all hinges on the QB's play.

New England

1. Is Brady ready?

2. Can their aging veterans hold up another season?

3. Who will step up in the secondary?

That's about it for the Pats*. This team will be scary if Brady returns like the Brady we all know and hate.

Having said all of that, I haven't even touched on the coaching aspect of the game, where the Bills are most likely the worst at in the East. Our only hope is that Ryan is even worse than than Jauron, if that's possible.

Buffalo needs a lot to go our way if we hope to compete for the AFC East title. Who knows, maybe Brady and Pennington can both get knocked out for the year and the Bills can then fight it out with the Jets for AFC East supremacy.

You could say that about the Dolphins last year and they got better than the whole division. Its the NFL you pretty much have to reset your expectations every year.

I believe, talent-wise, we are at the very least even with both these teams. It is coaching that will lose us games in division and out of the division.

Until we change coaches, we are a 7-9 team, I think that has been proven over the last 3 years.

I believe it comes down to whomever has the most questions unanswered for the upcoming season. Other than special teams, the Bills aren't set anywhere on the football field. Without even taking count, I know the Bills have the most questionable roster in the AFC East, by far.

Let's take a look.

Buffalo

That makes 12 questions the Bills need answered on the football field. Too many, if you ask me. A team needs to have some certainty to be able to compete in a division as tough as ours....

You do make some valuable points but in what sense is it true that having more questions than answers in the offseason is a legitimate gauge on what a teams record will be the upcoming year. Every team has to prove themselves again this year from 0-0. The dolphins were terrible two years ago to go onto the playoffs in '08. The NFC south has had a team that is terrible the year before, go onto be the top two teams in the division the year after, several times in the last five years (atlanta, new orleans, and carolina). I can't say that you wouldn't be wrong that the bills are worse off then the Jets and the Dolphins but you can't claim that you are right either.

Two more words - Dick Jauron

Let's take a look.

Buffalo

That makes 12 questions the Bills need answered on the football field. Too many, if you ask me. A team needs to have some certainty to be able to compete in a division as tough as ours.

Miami

1. Will the wildcat still be effective?

2. Can Pennington stay healthy?

3. Will someone step up at receiver?

4. Can Taylor, Porter, and Ferguson hold up another year in their front seven?

5. Is their secondary good enough to compete?

Overall, the Dolphins are a well built team. Parcells fixed both defensive and offensive lines last year and that's where football games are won.

New York

1. Who will be their QB and is he ready? This is a huge question, IMO. Worth more than one point, if you ask me.

2. Do they have an adequate second or even first receiver?

3. How will the defense adapt to the new scheme brought in by Ryan?

4. Can they get to the quarterback on defense?

New York can easily be the worst team in our division or finish in second. It all hinges on the QB's play.

New England

1. Is Brady ready?

2. Can their aging veterans hold up another season?

3. Who will step up in the secondary?

That's about it for the Pats*. This team will be scary if Brady returns like the Brady we all know and hate.

Having said all of that, I haven't even touched on the coaching aspect of the game, where the Bills are most likely the worst at in the East. Our only hope is that Ryan is even worse than than Jauron, if that's possible.

Buffalo needs a lot to go our way if we hope to compete for the AFC East title. Who knows, maybe Brady and Pennington can both get knocked out for the year and the Bills can then fight it out with the Jets for AFC East supremacy.

Nice post but I feel because you know the Bills better than the rest of the AFC East your questions are more specific thus creating more questions. I do feel the Bills have the most question marks but the rest of the AFC east has some problems beyond what was stated.

i think the more important question is how do we compete with the patriots.

i think the bills are better than the fish and jets on paper and on the field

without a doubt we r better then the fins and the jets, the jets dont have a primary receiver and a rookie qb thats gonna kill them this year, the dolphins had a lucky year last year so we will see wat they r all about this year. as for the patriots " we r gonna expose their defense this year" GO BUFFALO......

Nice post but I feel because you know the Bills better than the rest of the AFC East your questions are more specific thus creating more questions. I do feel the Bills have the most question marks but the rest of the AFC east has some problems beyond what was stated.

I obviously know the Bills better than any other team in the east, but I do live in Miami and have watched enough games with everyone else in our division to come up with a very accurate assessment.

We are definately a team in flux. There are a lot of question marks that will be answered in the regular season; but, on paper, and potentially, they should be a better team this year. As the Bills have question marks - and Russ Brandon is one of them - so, too do our division rivals. Miami might be better or worse than last year. Jets seem to have a real tough coach, and a similar defense. And the Pats will be good; we know it. We have to be a good team this year to make it good in our division; maybe exceptional. I don't think our division has been this tough - and for a while to come - in a long time. And, we play tough teams this year outside of the division. I see a bunch of teams in the AFC that could surprise this year. So, basically, the overall answer is the Bills have to be a real good team this year - the type of team that could compare to our great teams - in order to have a chance to make it to the Super Bowl. I'm an all or nothing type of fan; so, in that regard, we've got to be extaordinary, and surpass all our expectations, to make it.

Two more words - Dick Jauron

By the second half of the season we will at least be the second best in the division wether that is to late I don't know.

Don't pin it on one guy there were injuries last year if you remember.

without a doubt we r better then the fins and the jets, the jets dont have a primary receiver and a rookie qb thats gonna kill them this year, the dolphins had a lucky year last year so we will see wat they r all about this year. as for the patriots " we r gonna expose their defense this year" GO BUFFALO......

I think that the Bills are the 4th best team in the Division until they prove that they are not. The Bills have Personnel weakneses at LB and OL. They will rely on Rookies and existing veterans (some of whom did not get it done last year) to fill those positons. Maybe the Rookies will rise to the task this year but history says they will not be ready yet.

The Glaring problem areas are LB where they are relying on unproven and backup players some of whom are returning from injury. OL is unproven although the interior was addressed in the draft. At LB the coaches have a huge challenge in getting this unit ready to play. They are asking a lot of second day draft picks and undrafted free Agents. There is a lack of veteran talent in both of these area.

You have to run the ball and stop the run to win in this division. I think we will be able to run. I do not think we will be able to stop the run with the talent that exists today on this team.

At OL the front office gets a bye , there is no one out there that is ready to play. Al LB the front office has more work to do

If this team cannot stop the run I am not going to lay all the blame on coaching. They need more run stoppers.

Our team unis have more colors in them than either the JESTS or Dolphags do.

Our head coach has more head coaching experience than theirs have.

Our QB is from Stanford - it's like the IVY League - only in California.

Bills fans are better looking than their fans are.

By the second half of the season we will at least be the second best in the division wether that is to late I don't know.

Don't pin it on one guy there were injuries last year if you remember.

Every NFL team has injuries, the Patriots lost their starting running backs and were down to their 4th string player and he still managed to rush for 100 yards against the Bills.' The Patriots lost Tom Brady for the season and The Bills were swept by a QB who didn't start one college game, in fact until last season he hadn't started a football game since high school.

I'm getting sick up and fed reading that the Bills had injuries, or its lack of talent...the weather was cold...the wind was to strong...

Just face facts, the Bills will continue to lose until they hire a coach and coaching staff that knows what they are doing.

Every NFL team has injuries, the Patriots lost their starting running backs and were down to their 4th string player and he still managed to rush for 100 yards against the Bills.' The Patriots lost Tom Brady for the season and The Bills were swept by a QB who didn't start one college game, in fact until last season he hadn't started a football game since high school.

I'm getting sick up and fed reading that the Bills had injuries, or its lack of talent...the weather was cold...the wind was to strong...

Just face facts, the Bills will continue to lose until they hire a coach and coaching staff that knows what they are doing.

I agree, I was at the final game last year and Buffalo didn't have a lack of talent agaisnt NE. However, it was apparent there is a night and day differnce between the coaching staffs. NE won that game on coaching alone, plan and simple. That game was a real eye opener for me, I really don't think Jauron is the right guy if you want a winning football team.

Jets 7-9 Bills 8-8 FINS 9-7 NE13-3

Buffalo

I think his progression says he can.....lets not forget he looked REALLY good for the first half of the season last year...people were talking pro bowl. What we need to figure out is why the slide happened in the second half.

I think they can.....but what I think you see this year is a LOT more emphais on running the ball between the tackles and being more agressive that way.......run blocking always takes pressure off your pass blocking.

I am not even worried in this area....at least not this year anyway.

I am betting that our starting TE's are going toe be Fine/Nelson......honestly it would not suprise me to see Shoeman cut

For the role he plays this year yes.....he will not be counted on as THE playmaker from day one.....Schrobel will be back.

Fingers crossed

I didn't think Pos played that badly LAST year.......more pressure up front would help him quite a bit. The guy that I am wondering if he takes his game to the next level is Jon McCargo.......if he can return to form then our DL rotation will be very good.

Go Alvin Bowen! seriously as long as its not Ellison

Leodis might actually end up being a big key for our defense this next year....the light really turned on in the 2nd half of the season and if he takes that next step we might have a seriously good Db on our hands here......

Fingers crossed here......

If we run the ball more

This is actually an area that I am not concerned about....our Rb stable is very good now with resiging Jackson and bringing in dominic rhodes.....MAYBE the best in the league. I thought the team did a really good job here.

Now as far as being better then the pats, fins, jets

Pats - everybody is talking about a possible 16-0 season. Has anybody stopped to take into account that Tom Brady has been out for A YEAR.......and with a team that now is getting older......has lost assistant coaches to other team......etc etc. I dont think everyone should just immediately think this team is going to return to its old form.

Fins - I thought teams were starting to catch on to the wildcat offense last year....and Pennington had a statement year last year but something tells me he isn't going to be able to maintain that. I think the fins are not going to suck this year but are going to fall back a big.

Jets - Defensively will be tough......Sanchez will prob start and will be throwing those rookie interceptions......

I think that the Bills are the 4th best team in the Division until they prove that they are not. The Bills have Personnel weakneses at LB and OL. They will rely on Rookies and existing veterans (some of whom did not get it done last year) to fill those positons. Maybe the Rookies will rise to the task this year but history says they will not be ready yet.

The Glaring problem areas are LB where they are relying on unproven and backup players some of whom are returning from injury. OL is unproven although the interior was addressed in the draft. At LB the coaches have a huge challenge in getting this unit ready to play. They are asking a lot of second day draft picks and undrafted free Agents. There is a lack of veteran talent in both of these area.

You have to run the ball and stop the run to win in this division. I think we will be able to run. I do not think we will be able to stop the run with the talent that exists today on this team.

At OL the front office gets a bye , there is no one out there that is ready to play. Al LB the front office has more work to do

If this team cannot stop the run I am not going to lay all the blame on coaching. They need more run stoppers.

This is the most unbiased and realistic post I have read on this board.

"It's hard to win in the NFL"

obviously you do not subscribe to Dick's guiding light

Well if we get Pisa our LB issue is at least addressed. While I am not completely confident in our front seven to stop the run I am confident we will not get run over by the weaker and midlevel teams. The offense is feast or famine we have the skill position players but the QB is a crapshoot and the O-line is a big concern even if we get Levi Jones.

The defense is better than you make it out to be epically if we get Pisa to fill the need for a linebacker. We have the best secondary in the division and a competent front seven that is improved over last years. But yeah you can easily make the case for the bills as the worst team in the division just as much as you could make the case for them being the second best.

I think you are underestimating how devastating our offense is going to be. This group is going to be fun to watch, and very difficult to defend. Offensively it isn't even close, we dominate. If our defense plays even as mediocre as last year, we should beat these two teams twice.

I think you are underestimating how devastating our offense is going to be. This group is going to be fun to watch, and very difficult to defend. Offensively it isn't even close, we dominate. If our defense plays even as mediocre as last year, we should beat these two teams twice.

I think you're underestimating how bad your OL is going to be and I think you overestimate your QB. He hasn't proven to be anything other than avg.

Let go position by position: (not including the Pats)

QB

1. Miami (Pennington I know he had his ups and downs but he was great for them last year)

2. Buffalo (Edwards must be consistent)

3. Jets (Sanchez is an unknown)

RB

1. Buffalo (Lynch, Jackson & Rhodes barely edge out Thomas Jones, Washington & Greene)

2. Jets

3. Dolphins (Ronnie & Ricky are good but Ricky is a joint away from suspension and Ronnie still isnt the same since ACL injury)

WRs

1. Buffalo (Best position on the team)

2. Jets (Weeeeeeak)

3. Dolphins (this is the positions that will doom both NY and Miami)

TE

1. Jets (Dustin is the real deal)

2. Miami (What a steal to get Fasano from Dallas for almost nothing)

3. Buffalo ( A rookie 4th rounder.... could be great or a major problem)

OL

1. Jets (Brickashaw, Mangold and the veteran additions have been great at run blocking and good enough pass blocking)

2. Buffalo (A work in progress and the biggest question mark about the team this year)

3. Miami ( a bunch of overachievers but needed the threat of the wildcat to keep teams passrush off balance)

DL

1. Jets (cant argue with Jenkins he dominated last year)

2. Buffalo (If Maybin is the real deal they move to number one)

3. Miami (Merling in year 2 will make or break this line)

LBs

1. Jets (The addition of Scott and the potential of Gholston added to Pace and Harris put them at number one)

2. Bills (one starter away from being very sold, not spectacular but solid)

3. Dolphins (Yes Taylor and Porter are big names but I personally think Taylor is done)

DBs

1. Jets (I know we love our depth at db but Revis and Rhodes put NY over us)

2. Buffalo (Lack of a second starting saftey will hurt the secondary)

3. Miami (not great at CB but Bell and Wilson are a great duo at Saftey)

Special Teams

1. Buffalo (Bobby April is enough)

2. Jets (Washington is very good but kickers suck)

3. Miami