According to Whitner's Facebook Status

But, one of the gripes against Ellison is that at 6'0" and 229#, he is too small. So, we replace him with a guy that is 6'1" and 220# and it's "without a doubt better"? :thumbdown:

How could we be so dumb? The quality of the player is solely based on his weight :wallbash:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This guy is good.. trust me. Unfortunately I have been forced to watch him play many times since I live here in St. Louis. He has good lateral quickness with some unexpected pop on tackles.

He is leaps and bounds better than Ellison.

This guy is good.. trust me. Unfortunately I have been forced to watch him play many times since I live here in St. Louis. He has good lateral quickness with some unexpected pop on tackles.

He is leaps and bounds better than Ellison.

Some first-hand analysis is always encouraging! :thumbdown:

In Madden 09, Pisa is an 85 and Ellison is a 79. Thats basically all you need to know.

Ok sarcasm off, but I do like this signing if it ever comes through. Pisa might not be a world beater but he definitely gives us a solid to above average player in a spot where we had one of the worst starting linebackers in the NFL in my opinion.

No, What I said was that he PLAYED at 220 last year when the coaching staff asked him to shed a few lbs and HAS PLAYED up to 240+.

Link, please. People keep justifying his weight on this, but I have yet to read it anywhere.

Ive heard it multiple places. The only link that I can find for this is the following which doesnt really prove me right it just states that he has been listed at 240 but also played at 220 last year.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-8-44/...Tinoisomoa.html

some good friends of mine are huge NFC west fans. one is a writer/editor with ESPN. Both agree that Pisa is a very solid player on a bad team, and was probably their best all around defender last year. The reason a guy like him is cut is scheme and his ability to play in Spagnolo's Defense. It's not a knock on his ability, but the good coaches bring in personal to fit their system, or find a way to tailor their system to their player's strengths. This is what parcells does, bellicheck does, marty does... it is NOT what Jauron does - he just takes good players and hopes they can translate into success in his scheme. I know thats harsh but its the best means to explain FO signing guys like larry tripplet and letting a guy like pat williams go.

so yes if we sign Pisa it is a good, solid move for the bills. He is an upgrade over what we have and that is worth getting excited about because this team needs as much talent as we can get.

The big challenge is this - he played what's known as the MIKE with STL. In buffalo, our T2 is kind of reversed where we have our SAM and WILL with different coverage responsibility (i don't know the variation). he would be playing the Will as far as I can tell.

for a good read on how the T2 works (instead of everyone on here acting as though they understand it) go to this:

http://www.footballtimes.org/Article.asp?ID=167

If this deal goes down, moorah! We would be sitting pretty on defense. A solid starting corp and pretty nice depth to boot. I would have zero complaints until and unless the season shows Maybin and/or Byrd can't contribute like we are all hoping.

Do this deal immediately, and follow it up with an acquisition of somebody who can play LT. Give Levi Jones a massive incentive laden contract or trade picks for an established LT. For flip's sake please don't start the season with Langston Walker at LT. I like Trent Edwards and I want him to live long enough to have children and grandchildren one day.

The list of positions we need to upgrade continues to dwindle and more and more the talk is of adding depth - which is ALWAYS the sign of a good team. Two more positions and what appears to be great signs that one of them will be filled...we are getting close. If we signed Pisa and Levi Jones, we would be left with a roster with no glaring weaknesses anywhere and pretty substantial depth throughout. We would have game breaking skill position players, and what should be a very solid defensive line. Add to that premier special teams play, and the Bills could be for real.

some good friends of mine are huge NFC west fans. one is a writer/editor with ESPN. Both agree that Pisa is a very solid player on a bad team, and was probably their best all around defender last year. The reason a guy like him is cut is scheme and his ability to play in Spagnolo's Defense. It's not a knock on his ability, but the good coaches bring in personal to fit their system, or find a way to tailor their system to their player's strengths. This is what parcells does, bellicheck does, marty does... it is NOT what Jauron does - he just takes good players and hopes they can translate into success in his scheme. I know thats harsh but its the best means to explain FO signing guys like larry tripplet and letting a guy like pat williams go.

so yes if we sign Pisa it is a good, solid move for the bills. He is an upgrade over what we have and that is worth getting excited about because this team needs as much talent as we can get.

The big challenge is this - he played what's known as the MIKE with STL. In buffalo, our T2 is kind of reversed where we have our SAM and WILL with different coverage responsibility (i don't know the variation). he would be playing the Will as far as I can tell.

for a good read on how the T2 works (instead of everyone on here acting as though they understand it) go to this:

The FO that let Williams go is not the same one that signed Tripplett.

It does not require a genius or a great amount of football wisdom to understand how a cover 2 scheme works. Granted, per each team that runs it there may be different players filling different responsibilities in the scheme, but really the scheme itself is going to be the same. In a cover 2, that means a 2 deep zone which is vulnerable to deep passing attacks but that takes away the short and high percentage game. If you can pressure the quarterback, this defense works really well. Without pressure on the QB, you get toasted. It really doesn't matter who plays which zone, its a zone - you sit in it and read the offense. I do not think any NFL linebacker would have much difficulty learning how to sit in a zone coverage(physically being able to cover the guy who runs through that zone obviously is a different story, but in the case of coverage, smaller and faster is almost always better), its just a matter of knowing which zone to be in on which play, and that comes with repetition.

In terms of responsibilities and assignments, the Tampa 2 is one of the simplest defenses you could possibly run, but thanks for your assumption that it is somehow challenging to understand the underlying concepts behind a cover 2 defense.

But, one of the gripes against Ellison is that at 6'0" and 229#, he is too small. So, we replace him with a guy that is 6'1" and 220# and it's "without a doubt better"? :thumbdown:

you don't play a game of football in teh weight room and you don't play a game on a scale

Sometimes guys are just !@#$ing good at making plays. I'm not saying he's a pro bowl player, but it wouldn't take much to be able to make more plays than Ellison

If this deal goes down, moorah! We would be sitting pretty on defense. A solid starting corp and pretty nice depth to boot. I would have zero complaints until and unless the season shows Maybin and/or Byrd can't contribute like we are all hoping.

Do this deal immediately, and follow it up with an acquisition of somebody who can play LT. Give Levi Jones a massive incentive laden contract or trade picks for an established LT. For flip's sake please don't start the season with Langston Walker at LT. I like Trent Edwards and I want him to live long enough to have children and grandchildren one day.

The list of positions we need to upgrade continues to dwindle and more and more the talk is of adding depth - which is ALWAYS the sign of a good team. Two more positions and what appears to be great signs that one of them will be filled...we are getting close. If we signed Pisa and Levi Jones, we would be left with a roster with no glaring weaknesses anywhere and pretty substantial depth throughout. We would have game breaking skill position players, and what should be a very solid defensive line. Add to that premier special teams play, and the Bills could be for real.

Well even if we sign pisa and we sign levi jones and he can stay healthy and approximate his old production we still have holes on our roster. We need a DT to go next to Stroud the only guy on our roster who can fill that is McCargo and thats a longshot. Another need is a DE Schobel is a health concern and the backups don't inspire any confidence. Trent is a health concern and the o-line could have trouble with three to five players at new positions. So its a roster filling out but there are still concerns and holes.

Ellisons size doesn't matter as much as the fact that he is horrible, has been horrible, and will continue to be horrible.

Thanks Angelo Crowell - break your knee in Tampa.

Ellisons size doesn't matter as much as the fact that he is horrible, has been horrible, and will continue to be horrible.

Thanks Angelo Crowell - break your knee in Tampa.

That's classy. :thumbdown: So if you forget to give a person fries with their order, should they hope you break your arm?

Link, please. People keep justifying his weight on this, but I have yet to read it anywhere.

Ive heard it multiple places. The only link that I can find for this is the following which doesnt really prove me right it just states that he has been listed at 240 but also played at 220 last year.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-8-44/...Tinoisomoa.html

there are a couple links on the page. what do you want, him to get on a scale at your house and show you his weight. and it doesn't matter how much he ways. as long as he can tackle and make plays that is good enough for me

The reason a guy like him is cut is scheme and his ability to play in Spagnolo's Defense. It's not a knock on his ability, but the good coaches bring in personal to fit their system, or find a way to tailor their system to their player's strengths. This is what parcells does, bellicheck does, marty does... it is NOT what Jauron does - he just takes good players and hopes they can translate into success in his scheme. I know thats harsh but its the best means to explain FO signing guys like larry tripplet and letting a guy like pat williams go.

By the time Jauron got here in 2006 Pat Williams was long gone. Fat Pat's last year in Buffalo was 2004. It's quite the stretch to say that was of Jaurons doing. That falls squarely on the shoulders of Tom Donahoe/Mularkey and Ralph Wilson. It was the dumbest move of this past decade. I dunno what happened to Jauron, but how you forget the only time you've been succesful as a head coach is when you had guys like Ted Washington and Keith Traylor escapes all logic. As far as Pisa goes yeah he'd be playing with different responsibilities, but if the choices are him or watching another year of Keith Ellison. I'd rather go with the unknown quantity.

Another average linebacker, why the excitement?

agreed. upgrade over ellison, but not by as much as we would all hope for.

i can see it now. Young OLB in His Prime gets cut by one of the worst teams in the NFL, leads Bills to Super Bowl... :lol:

not a game changer people...