Playoff defense - pieces missing.

I think the Bills still need an every down,pass rushing OLB.

With that one addition I think our DE and DT position would be OK as it is.

Who is out there we could still trade for or may be a coming cap release?

Or, regardless of what is said by the team, would starting AM at OLB be wise.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

considering we dont have any pro bowlers on defense, i am going to have to go wit a big F no

We do need an OLB. We don't need a pass rusher at the position. We only occasionally rush from that position. Our defense is predicated on getting the rush from our front four, which is why we drafted Maybin so high.

Still, I certainly wouldn't mind an upgrade at OLB.

oh no! no pro bowlers? whatever will we do if none of our defensive players are voted into a meaningless game based on reputation?????

The reason we don't have pro bowlers is because our defenders aren't good enough. The pro bowl isn't something to laugh about. It means you're extremely good. No, it's not a perfect system, but it's pretty damn good, and it's the system we've got. It would be nice to have a few extremely good defenders in a system which would showcase them.

The Bills defense is an OLB and free safety away from being top 10 again.

I don't think a pass rushing OLB is required, just play solid pass coverage in your drops and make the run stuffing tackles on your side of the field consistently.

Byrd is what the Bills have been waiting for at free safety....a ball-hawking center fielder. Ko Simpson was that in college, but hasn't panned out in the NFL as of yet. I don't think he ever will either.

The reason we don't have pro bowlers is because our defenders aren't good enough. The pro bowl isn't something to laugh about. It means you're extremely good. No, it's not a perfect system, but it's pretty damn good, and it's the system we've got. It would be nice to have a few extremely good defenders in a system which would showcase them.

"All Pro" selections hold much more weight than the popularity contest that has become the Pro Bowl. Remember a couple of seasons ago when 11 or 12 Cowboys made the team? You think they all REALLY deserved the invite? You think Peters deserved to be in the Pro Bowl last year? :rolleyes: The Pro Bowl has lost all credibility as being a game with the most deserving players after that selection IMO.

As far as what our team needs? I think we need another GOOD DT to go along with Stroud. I also think we need a top notch OLB to go along with Poz and Mitchell. We also need a GOOD Safety to go along with Whitner. Whether it be a SS so he can play FS or the opposite, I don't care. Byrd may be the answer to the S position and Harris possibly for the LB position. Only time will tell. I'm still hoping that McCargo turns out to be a good DT, but this is my last season of putting any kind of hope in that guy.

I would like to see what the defense can do without everybody all hurt.....

Keep in mind ath Scrobel.....Kelsay....Denny...Mgee.....and others all missed time last year to injuries....the injury to Schrobel was a killer.

every team has injuries , we just suck.. Kelsey sucks, Ellison, McGee is far from a Winfield or Odoms, no one is special..So what do we do?, we draft a one trick pony DE with one year of college and a CB to join the other 20 we already have.. Still no OLB either..

every team has injuries , we just suck.. Kelsey sucks, Ellison, McGee is far from a Winfield or Odoms, no one is special..So what do we do?, we draft a one trick pony DE with one year of college and a CB to join the other 20 we already have.. Still no OLB either..

A one trick pony that can give you 8-10 sacks a year for ten years and a CB that was the highest rated free safety on the board. Byrd will be the opening day FS.

Guest dog14787

We do lack quality depth, especially when it comes to pass rushing skills at the DE position.

To say we just suck though, nawww its not that bad, especially after this years draft. I honestly think we will rank in the top ten this year on defense, maybe top 5 or 3.

We have in my opinion what could end up being one of the nastiest defensive backfields in the league. :rolleyes:

I would like to see what the defense can do without everybody all hurt.....

Keep in mind ath Scrobel.....Kelsay....Denny...Mgee.....and others all missed time last year to injuries....the injury to Schrobel was a killer.

I believe that many of our defenders get hurt in part due to being undersized. So in our scheme, we need quality starters and depth to compete.

Guest dog14787
I believe that many of our defenders get hurt in part due to being undersized. So in our scheme, we need quality starters and depth to compete.

When you are sending players like Ashton Youboty on a CB blitz constantly to make up for the loss of Shoebel who is by far the best pass rusher on the team, its puts added pressure on players to make plays, causing even more injuries.

Question marks on defense (I didn't read every post so I apologize for repeating anything already posted):

-- Schobel's health

-- Maybin's immediate contribution

-- OLB

-- FS

That's four out of eleven positions I'm concerned about. I do believe the Bills are very solid at DT and two of the three LB spots, and the secondary (less questions at FS) should be outstanding.

If Schobel is truly healthy and Maybin provides a legitimate 3rd down pass rush threat, the other two question marks don't bother me as much and then I'd consider the defense "playoff caliber."

How special do you think Odomes would have been without that front seven and constantly enjoying nice cushiony leads to play with?

GO BILLS!!!

Busta.....your name seems to be attached to a non stop bitching on this board.

If I am in error about your identity then I apologize in advance but.......

We had a playoff defense last year...so considering we are healthy and have a lot more talent IMO with a strong draft and our vets like Schobel back, this is an easy yes.

Anyone who thinks we missed the playoffs last year because of our defense wasnt watching the games. Our Defense played well enough for us to win, and the only game we were blown out of was AZ. Our offense couldnt score points and THAT is why we missed the playoffs. Our offense was a pathetic in majority of the last 8 games...

You dont have to be a top 5 D to make the playoffs.

what a dumb post