Playoff defense - pieces missing.

Not really.

Your signatuure would sure help the situation, because Henderson is strong enough to make a big difference vs. the run. As for pass rush, he has 26.5 sacks in 7 seasons. Not bad, but do you see my point?

If teams can run on you all day, they will.

I agree that John Henderson would help solidify the run and help in getting after the QB for a few reasons. One, we wouldn't have to overcompensate to try to stop the run and that would allow other players to rush the QB more effectively. Two, Stroud and Henderson would take up would be blockers to allow more single team blocking against our DE's and LB's and give them more opportunities to pressure the QB.

However, I do believe that our lack of pass pressure is a bigger issue than our Run D. As of right now, the best single move that the Bills could make to improve our D in my view, is to get a monstrous D tackle like Henderson. I think he would make a world of difference on our defense.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really.

Your signatuure would sure help the situation, because Henderson is strong enough to make a big difference vs. the run. As for pass rush, he has 26.5 sacks in 7 seasons. Not bad, but do you see my point?

If teams can run on you all day, they will.

Yep. 3+ sacks on average for a DT is pretty good. But a DT that's reliable in clogging up the run is very valuable, IMO. It makes the opposition change their running strategy if they can't shove a DT out of the way. They have to go around, and that gets the LBs into play.

This is true, but in order to be a success, a football team has to stop their opponent from running the football against them. This will never change. When you can dominate your opponent on the ground, you physically punish your opponent and win the battle of time of possession. This almost always results in wins.

Take away Stroud, and the Bills are very weak at DT, thus it won't be easy to stop their opponents running attacks. This becomes even more prominent on 3rd and short plays.

What have the Bills done to improve this area? They drafted a DE that is a 1 down player and a CB to convert to FS with their top picks. Nic Harris, if he makes the team, is a small LB/S tweener that probably fits best as a special teams guy and, again, playing an under zone in our scheme.

Faletoese, Jenkins, and Lindquist are the camp fodder and all are on the small side.

Faletoese scouting report: A quick penetrating type of DT. Can be blown off the line, as he is very light at the point of attack. Can be frustrated by the double team. Production against questionable competition makes him a virtual unknown.

Jenkins scouting report: Plays high, gets overpowered, technique needs work. More of an inside pass rusher. Played all over the line at Ky.

What have the Bills done to improve this area? They drafted a DE that is a 1 down player and a CB to convert to FS with their top picks. Nic Harris, if he makes the team, is a small LB/S tweener that probably fits best as a special teams guy and, again, playing an under zone in our scheme.

Faletoese, Jenkins, and Lindquist are the camp fodder and all are on the small side.

Faletoese scouting report: A quick penetrating type of DT. Can be blown off the line, as he is very light at the point of attack. Can be frustrated by the double team. Production against questionable competition makes him a virtual unknown.

Jenkins scouting report: Plays high, gets overpowered, technique needs work. More of an inside pass rusher. Played all over the line at Ky.

The Maybin pick didn't bother me. If you want a pass rusher, you have to take him early most of the time. I am still in shock that they saw fit to draft Guards in the 1st and 2nd. I also think that Nelson is a promising TE. The rest of the draft was typical Jauron nonsense imo.

Still, it was way better than what I feared. I was sure they were going to draft Jenkins, and I'm still surprised that they didn't. At least they brought in a foundation that should be solid after Jauron is fired.

I think the Bills still need an every down,pass rushing OLB.

With that one addition I think our DE and DT position would be OK as it is.

Who is out there we could still trade for or may be a coming cap release?

Or, regardless of what is said by the team, would starting AM at OLB be wise.

I think after the bye week you will see Maybin at OLB and DE. Depending on down and distance.