Graham's Maybin article on ESPN

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim, what a cool piece on Maybin. Thanks so much for adding a little context to his story! Now let's hope all that plays out well on the field as it has for him off the field.

Link por favor

My son and I have had those same talks although I dont think he is going to get to go to Penn State or even a Div I school......interesting that their games are similar though......he is a 6' 205 pd junior HS player who plays undersized at DE and Aaron Maybin is a 6'4 underclassman college player who played at around 225 at Defensive End

And they both use huge feet and a great first step to get a lot of their work done.

Great article, Tim. The other thing I noticed is that if you read the reader comments on this one, there were two folks posting who actually are from Maybin's home town and both spoke very highly of him as a person as well. Contrast this, for ex., to a recent article on Ron Paulus, where there were several comments by readers who knew him personally or through local reputation in Syracuse and said he was an arse.....

Hate to be the Debby Downer here, but these stories are great for showing character but say nothing about what happens on the field. JP Losman had a great background story, bought a house in Buffalo, held an event to clean up the city and went out of his way to take the city under his wing.

What happened? He wasn't the answer at QB and the city (and many fans) spat him out. This has been the story with countless players the last 10 years.

Great back stories don't win football games.

I feel like a jerk writing that, but its true. In the end, its about winning and I don't care if the guy comes from a blue collar family, a mansion, a one parent house, a two parent house, or raised by chimps. Can he play the game, will he give blood sweat and tears to his team, and is he a winner?

After 10 years of losing, that's all I care about.

Hate to be the Debby Downer here, but these stories are great for showing character but say nothing about what happens on the field. JP Losman had a great background story, bought a house in Buffalo, held an event to clean up the city and went out of his way to take the city under his wing.

What happened? He wasn't the answer at QB and the city (and many fans) spat him out. This has been the story with countless players the last 10 years.

I feel like a jerk writing that, but its true. In the end, its about winning and I don't care if the guy comes from a blue collar family, a mansion, a one parent house, a two parent house, or raised by chimps. Can he play the game, will he give blood sweat and tears to his team, and is he a winner?

I think it was intended to just be a personal story of how he has come up in life, and to give us an idea of where his character comes from.

I really don't want to be a jerk either, but why post this? I think everyone understands that how great a person he is off the field doesn't mean squat if he can't produce. It's still a nice story to read, and he sounds like a good guy to root for.

It is a common misconception that Losman was a nice guy that just didn't pan out. From the numerous times I saw him out, sometimes on Fridays/ Saturdays before a game, and from first hand stories told to me by girls who encountered him, he was actually an inmature little scumbag. The fact that he picked up some garbage for a day does not mitigate that fact.

The Maybin Family:thumbsup:

In the internet age we read so many tidbits, blurbs and crapola.

The best newspaper writers have always been great storytellers, Tim thank you for continuing in the tradition.

Great comment, and I completely agree. Tim, you are personally rebuilding my enthusiasm for the Bills one story at a time.

WHat are you, A RACIST!!!!!!!!!!

just kidding :thumbsup:

Actually, I don't think you hate being the Debbie Downer at all. That is your problem....

Oh, and if you feel like a jerk, that might be because you sound like one in this post.

Whether you are one or not, I have no idea. You say you are a Bills fan, so you have that in your favor.

Actually, I don't think you hate being the Debbie Downer at all. That is your problem....

Oh, and if you feel like a jerk, that might be because you sound like one in this post.

Whether you are one or not, I have no idea. You say you are a Bills fan, so you have that in your favor.

Why? Because I pay $1,000 for seasons and want a winning product on the field? Look, half these guys have stories of overcoming the odds to get to the NFL, they're great to root for. But in the end, this is about winning and other than making it a little more meaningful to root for a player, these back stories are just that, a feel good story. They have little impact in the W/L column.

I'm tired of hearing about what great guys the Bills are, we've been hearing that for years. I want to read/hear about them winning games for once after a decade of being laughing stocks. I don't think that's being a jerk.

Why? Because I pay $1,000 for seasons and want a winning product on the field? Look, half these guys have stories of overcoming the odds to get to the NFL, they're great to root for. But in the end, this is about winning and other than making it a little more meaningful to root for a player, these back stories are just that, a feel good story. They have little impact in the W/L column.

I'm tired of hearing about what great guys the Bills are, we've been hearing that for years. I want to read/hear about them winning games for once after a decade of being laughing stocks. I don't think that's being a jerk.

Nothing we do or say here has any impact in the W/L column...so why do you do it?

Its a good story that gives us some background on a new 1st round pick - the fact you took issue with it enough to post certainly reveals some emotional issues. Perhaps you should sit the next few plays out?