Rams GM on acquiring LT's

BillsVet

Rams GM Billy Devaney made the decision to draft OT Jason Smith over the fans' choice of Mark Sanchez. Here are his comments in Peter King's column today:

"How many times are you in position to get an elite quarterback' They're right. But how many times are you in position to get an elite left tackle? You can't get one down the line in the draft. You can't get one in free-agency; they're never available. Plus, I really believe, like our coach [steve Spagnuolo], that the personality of your team revolves around a big, tough, physical offensive line.''

Devaney probably had few options of trading out of the #2 pick. But they'll most likely pay the unproven Smith similar money as Peters received to play the OL's most demanding position.

I'm glad Buffalo has attempted to fill the voids on the line with a UFA and two first day picks. Building the OL is done best through the draft, and good franchises don't buy OL's as Buffalo tried to do in 06-07.

Rams GM Billy Devaney made the decision to draft OT Jason Smith over the fans' choice of Mark Sanchez. Here are his comments in Peter King's column today:

"How many times are you in position to get an elite quarterback' They're right. But how many times are you in position to get an elite left tackle? You can't get one down the line in the draft. You can't get one in free-agency; they're never available. Plus, I really believe, like our coach [steve Spagnuolo], that the personality of your team revolves around a big, tough, physical offensive line.''

Devaney probably had few options of trading out of the #2 pick. But they'll most likely pay the unproven Smith similar money as Peters received to play the OL's most demanding position.

I'm glad Buffalo has attempted to fill the voids on the line with a UFA and two first day picks. Building the OL is done best through the draft, and good franchises don't buy OL's as Buffalo tried to do in 06-07.

Although I really wanted Orakpo instead of Maybin, I will give the FO the benefit of the doubt. Atleast they took a DE. I however loved the rest of the picks, especially getting two roadgrader type O-lineman that can beat on Wolfork. Finally the Bills address the big uglies up-front.

What are they talking about that they are never available. Wasn't "the greatest LT to ver play the game" Jason Peters available this offseason? Only 1 team seemed to be highly interested in him too

:rolleyes:

that and he was available when the bills cut him way back when...

AND he was available when he was an undrafted free agent.

Building the OL is done best through the draft, and good franchises don't buy OL's as Buffalo tried to do in 06-07.

Our store-bought line, now dismantled, was vastly superior to its predecessor and was one of the strengths of the team. Our below average QBs throwing to diminutive receivers have often had all day to throw. In spite of facing eight in the box just about every game we somehow managed a respectable yards per rush.

The folks that hated JP getting traded will take these comments and point that Elite LT's are never available in free agency.......

The folks that understand JP didnt want to play here hence his ridiculous contract demands understand that this explains whey they didnt take LT at the 11th pick or even later......you are reaching and hoping to find that Elite left tackle when you have your pick of other positions.

The whole statement is pointless.

Jason Smith is not an elite LT.

Despite what jet nation can't shut about, Mark Sanchez is not an elite QB.

The Rams have a decent (and when protected, very good) QB and no LT. Wasn't much of a conundrum.