I always defend WGR...

ans4e64

Even though you joined in 2003? :devil:

I think when the board switched servers, people's dates got changed. I can tell you this - I found it because I was looking for some Buffalo Jills info and this site hosted the Jills way back then - our seats got moved in '98 and I wouldn't know what any of the Jills looked like now. I also know I had been on here awhile already when the board totally melted down for hours right after Home Run Throwback. That was over 9 years ago. So, I'm sticking with at least ten years.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think when the board switched servers, people's dates got changed. I can tell you this - I found it because I was looking for some Buffalo Jills info and this site hosted the Jills way back then - our seats got moved in '98 and I wouldn't know what any of the Jills looked like now. I also know I had been on here awhile already when the board totally melted down for hours right after Home Run Throwback. That was over 9 years ago. So, I'm sticking with at least ten years.

Oh yeah, I never even noticed my own date change until you mentioned it.

You're an oldie!

How do you figure? WGR is rated as the best sports talk radio show in the nation isnt it? Pretty sure that has been proven. And if you really want to make a point about it being local you went the wrong way. I can easily go the other way and say there isnt another sports radio station in town to listen to unless you have sirius or any other satallite radio programs out there. Stern is no different from Schopp. They are in the business of advertising. If you really think its about sports radio your wrong. Its all about them making money for their sponsors. Thats why Stern gets away with talking about absolutely nothing and having chicks in his studio to show their chests and take salami slices on their asses even though you cant see them.

Im not defending Mike Schopp or WGR. Im simply stating that talking about him and his show is giving him power. Ill admit even I have tuned in over the last few days just to see if he commented on this post at all.

I don't think you've listened to Stern in a while. He spends most of his time now talking about his Blackberry. Very controversial. But Schopp isn't controversial he's just annoying and rude. They're getting 14 pges worth of posts because they're the only game in town. Yeah there's Brad Riter but I don't think too many people know about that yet. I think most people just thought there was Schopp and his dog. I didn't know before this thread. And yeah there's other options like Sirius but many people want local talk, not listening to 'Movin' the chains' for an hour hoping someone brings up the Bills for 30 seconds.

How do you figure? WGR is rated as the best sports talk radio show in the nation isnt it? Pretty sure that has been proven.

By whom and under what metric?? They aren't close to the top station in their local cluster (revenue-wise), and I'm not sure they're even top-3 in their demo locally (haven't seen the winter book yet). In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king -

But Schopp isn't controversial he's just annoying and rude]

Exactly.

A show with a rude, condescending host and and his stammering co-host who agrees with everything the host says is not controversial- it's just boring- and annoying.

Exactly.

A show with a rude, condescending host and and his stammering co-host who agrees with everything the host says is not controversial- it's just boring- and annoying.

And when your view is the majority opinion, the show will be changed. It continues to amaze me how some still can't grasp the realities of business. Everything is about money and to think that there is any other reason for a show's longevity is just naive. There is never going to be a host that is universally accepted as the best. Its no different then picking a favorite pizza or chicken wing eatery.

I respect that you hate the show in general and Mike specifically.

Fortunately, there are plenty of alternatives.

Unfortunately for you, whether you want to admit it or not, more people that their sponsors target like the show and its hosts as opposed to don't like it.

It continues to amaze me how some still can't grasp the realities of business. Everything is about money and to think that there is any other reason for a show's longevity is just naive.

Yep. It costs money to hire talent...

I always defend Schopp even though most people think he's a dick. However, I couldn't believe what I heard him say this afternoon on the air. This isn't an exact quote, but it's close. He and Parker were discussing the players the Bills drafted, and Parker was saying how he thinks the Bills got good players and were hoping they turn into wins. Schopp then said something along the lines of, "I could care less what happens on Sundays or how the Bills do, I moved here, this is just a job. The only reason I follow them is because it is my job to talk about them."

I realize that he didn't grow up here, or ever rooted for the Bills, and he certainly shouldn't have to be a fan of the team just because he's on the air, but do you have to make it sound like you're completely disgusted with the city and team, and you can't wait to get the hell out of here as soon as the possibility presents itself? Jeez. Even if you actually think that, why in the world would you say that on air to the people that listen to your show? To some of the most passionate fans in the NFL? My God. What does this say about the network in general, that these are the individuals they hire for their shows?

Mike--sorry that you feel forced into the position where you have to talk about the Bills. It is such a shame that you HAVE to follow this shiity franchise and live in the area. Poor you.

Is there really no one else out there that WGR could find, that they have to hire a guy who obviously doesn't want to be here? His attitude towards the team, the area, and the fans is clearly apparent.

Get Mr. Tennis off the air. WGR really needs football guys doing their 3pm show - especially when it's this time of year until after the Super Bowl! He is so arrogant and condescending.

Get Mr. Tennis off the air. WGR really needs football guys doing their 3pm show - especially when it's this time of year until after the Super Bowl! He is so arrogant and condescending.

I don't listen to the a-hole - he actually talks about tennis? While there's a Bills mini-camp in progress? Freakin' queer. :devil:

And when your view is the majority opinion, the show will be changed. It continues to amaze me how some still can't grasp the realities of business. Everything is about money and to think that there is any other reason for a show's longevity is just naive. There is never going to be a host that is universally accepted as the best. Its no different then picking a favorite pizza or chicken wing eatery.

I respect that you hate the show in general and Mike specifically.

Fortunately, there are plenty of alternatives.

Unfortunately for you, whether you want to admit it or not, more people that their sponsors target like the show and its hosts as opposed to don't like it.

Do you always make arguments based on facts you assume to be true without actually knowing, or is it just in this thread?

Don't pretend you know how many people like Schopp vs. don't. And don't say because he's still on the air or that he gets ratings, because we all just finished discussing how jerks make people tune in. You have no idea how many people that tune in actually like Schopp and how many are listening because they hate him.

I don't listen to the a-hole - he actually talks about tennis? While there's a Bills mini-camp in progress? Freakin' queer. :devil:

:nana:

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

It continues to amaze me how some still can't grasp the realities of business

Here's a reality of business: 1.) Don't be rude to your customers.

Unfortunately, WGR has no real competition at this time for Buffalo sports talk.

Good Luck WECK.

You have no idea how many people that tune in actually like Schopp and how many are listening because they hate him.

That's the point - wasn't that part of Stern's movie. People who hated him listened longer than people who liked him!

As for not talking much about mini-camp, Thank God. Who wants to hear that.......And, don't think that Brad is going to talk all about mini-camp either. He's too entertaining for that.

Here's my assessment lately. I know I'm in the minority here, but I really like S&B, but when it's just one or the other, then it's a no brainer - I'll listen to Brad. His show is way better now in the afternoon, where he's not going alone on it. Otherwise, it's a close call between the two shows for me.

Another oddity about me, I hated Bob Gaughan on GR, but I love when he's on with Brad. His other regulars - Tim Graham, etc. are really good, too.

That's the point - wasn't that part of Stern's movie. People who hated him listened longer than people who liked him!

As for not talking much about mini-camp, Thank God. Who wants to hear that.......And, don't think that Brad is going to talk all about mini-camp either. He's too entertaining for that.

Here's my assessment lately. I know I'm in the minority here, but I really like S&B, but when it's just one or the other, then it's a no brainer - I'll listen to Brad. His show is way better now in the afternoon, where he's not going alone on it. Otherwise, it's a close call between the two shows for me.

Another oddity about me, I hated Bob Gaughan on GR, but I love when he's on with Brad. His other regulars - Tim Graham, etc. are really good, too.

Don't assume you are in the minority.

Do you always make arguments based on facts you assume to be true without actually knowing, or is it just in this thread?

Don't pretend you know how many people like Schopp vs. don't. And don't say because he's still on the air or that he gets ratings, because we all just finished discussing how jerks make people tune in. You have no idea how many people that tune in actually like Schopp and how many are listening because they hate him.

You are right, I don't know for sure that a majority of people listening to him actually like him.

For my own mental well being, however, I hope that there are not that many miserable people that actually tune in regularly to something they hate.

I'm not so sure I agree with Lori on this one.

That may be her experience meeting with Sullivan, but it sure hasn't been mine.

I've sat next to him on several occasions in the Bills' press box on game day (back when I worked for the AP)...you may be shocked to hear this, but he was miserable the entire game...every time. Just the picture of a guy that didn't want to be there, and couldn't tell enough people how much he didn't want to be there. After every play there'd be a snide comment or a disdainful sigh. It made my game-covering experience less enjoyable.

Just thought I'd share.

If miserable = funny and snide and amusing, then I'll agree, because I wouldn't ask for a better neighbor.

The press box environment might not be for everyone, evidently, because it's filled with a bunch of people who cover sports for a living wishing they could kick back and have a beer or 10 while watching a game, and yet knowing that they wouldn't trade their left nugget (apologies to the female persuasion) to be doing anything else.

That is, of course, minus the prerequisite poms poms some might think we need to pack with our gear.

And if that makes me a cranky old coot, too, then let that be the perception, though I'd hate to ruin your experience on this board after all that's happened already.

(disdainful sigh)

jw

I don't think you've listened to Stern in a while. He spends most of his time now talking about his Blackberry. Very controversial. But Schopp isn't controversial he's just annoying and rude. They're getting 14 pges worth of posts because they're the only game in town. Yeah there's Brad Riter but I don't think too many people know about that yet. I think most people just thought there was Schopp and his dog. I didn't know before this thread. And yeah there's other options like Sirius but many people want local talk, not listening to 'Movin' the chains' for an hour hoping someone brings up the Bills for 30 seconds.

I never liked Stern but he is controversial, or at least was at one point. People liked that about him. He would do dumb, crazy things that might have gotten him removed from the air(it did at some point didnt it?), it was exciting.

You must have missed some of my posts on this topic. I believe Schopp is annoying and rude. He's not getting 14 pages of posts because hes the only game in town. Hes getting so many because he is controversial.

"Controversy

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is often controversy about a significantly different new idea, subject, group or person for a period of time, until honest direct examination of sufficient factual evidence results in widespread agreement on the truths of the matter"

That sounds like this board if you ask me.

BuffaloPowerEye

If you read my post right you would have noticed the ? at the end of that sentence. I didnt know. I believe I've heard multiple times in the past on the show that they are considered the 1 sports station in the nation. Now I havent ever looked into it to prove it before. And it looks like they were a runner up to Dallas in 2008 but they were a nominee. Shame on them for lying on the air for advertising they are the number 1 sports station in the nation. Better yet, shame on me for believing it.

http://www.nabradioshow.com/2008/events/marconiAwards.asp

2008 Sports Station of the Year

KESN-FM Dallas, TX

KGME-AM Phoenix, AZ

KXNO-AM Des Moines, IA

WEEI-AM Boston, MA

WGR-AM Buffalo, NY

You are right, I don't know for sure that a majority of people listening to him actually like him.

For my own mental well being, however, I hope that there are not that many miserable people that actually tune in regularly to something they hate.

I tolerate him, although I have never liked him...I do like Bulldog tho..unfortunately he seems kinda like Schopp's flunkie on air and just kind of goes along with it most days---my favorite shows are with Bulldog leading and someone like greg Bauch or Nick Mendola filling in...