I always defend WGR...

ans4e64

Gordio, I will not defend Schopp. Think I've made it clear that I'm not a fan. That said, I can understand (and sympathize a little) with the idea that the Bills aren't much fun to talk (or write) about sometimes.

Of course, I also don't get PAID to talk or write about them. So if he's really having that much of a problem ... what's that they say about certain players needing a "change of scenery"?

P.S.: Peevo, careful with the "more than anyone else here" generalization. I know Brad, Jeremy, and Nick haven't posted lately -- and I tend to believe threads like this one have a lot to do with that -- but they are still members here. :blink:

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to listen to WGR all of the time.

I would always get frustrated about many of the things brought up in this thread.

After the Sabers were eliminated, I removed 550 from my car presets.

I am happier for it.

Here are a few opinions to note:

1) WECK guests/interviews in the afternoon are better than WGR's

2) In the when driving to work, 97 Rock's Bills coverage is much better than WGR's

Gordio, I will not defend Schopp. Think I've made it clear that I'm not a fan. That said, I can understand (and sympathize a little) with the idea that the Bills aren't much fun to talk (or write) about sometimes.

If you're a bitter, miserable, snarky radio host -- and the team you follow is miserable -- it should be easy to have fun with them and their followers. He makes the happy people miserable, and the miserable more miserable.

Of course, I also don't get PAID to talk or write about them. So if he's really having that much of a problem ... what's that they say about certain players needing a "change of scenery"?

P.S.: Peevo, careful with the "more than anyone else here" generalization. I know Brad, Jeremy, and Nick haven't posted lately -- and I tend to believe threads like this one have a lot to do with that -- but they are still members here. :blink:

Lori, you're right, that was slightly condescending, I apologize. I didn't mean it in an insulting way, just in the sense that a lot of posters already have RIPPED the hosts of GR, without really ever experiencing what its like on the air, and it isn't easy. That is all. Sorry if I came off arrogant or whatnot. And if Nick/Brad/Jeremy read this, you guys do a great job. Sincerely, no insults or patronizing statements intended.

Schopp has made this post go 6 pages deep

Couldn't have anything to do with the fact that he is contributing to the thread... :blink:

I don't really care about his opinions or if he loves or hates the Bills. He is unnecessarily rude to people. Sure, sometimes callers are ill-informed, but this knucklehead uses it as a license to be impolite in return.

It's just nice to know he is so vain that he constantly has to clean up the foul edits on his Wikipedia page.

And if Nick/Brad/Jeremy read this, you guys do a great job. Sincerely, no insults or patronizing statements intended.

Don't forget Howard. Nicest guy on the air in this town!

in the interest of fairness, here is the reply from the Program Director to my email to WGR, complaining about Schopp. Wish i could listen to the exact broadcast again, because i definitely got a different impression. Oh well, no biggie, i still will not become a regular listener to that show again, while Schopp is on. i'm at about 10 minutes once every two or three weeks.

"John – I was listening to the same part of the show and he did not say that and was misquoted on a message board as well. He said that it HAS become a job because he feels the Bills have let him down. Trust me, Mike loves his job here and would rather do nothing else. It’s why he has a Saturday morning show specifically dedicated to collecting cards and sports memorabilia."

-Andy Roth

Program Director

WGR – Sports Radio 550

That is such B.S. (not you).

He clearly said that he could care less how the Bills do on Sundays, or if they win or lose. There is no excuse for saying that. If he doesn't want to be there talking about the Bills, then he should leave. But don't sit and B word about it on the air to all the listeners who love the team and want to talk Bills.

When Schoop left Rochester for Buffalo he pissed all over Rochester - and talked like he had finally made it big and had landed his career job.

Now he is in Buffalo and pissing all over Buffalo.

The funny thing to me is the guy that replaced him in Rochester - Brad Davies - came from Utica - went to Rochester and then landed a gig in Houston.

It must make Schoop sick that he is "stuck" in BLO and his former replacement is now making a name for himself in a top 10 market.

P.S.: Peevo, careful with the "more than anyone else here" generalization. I know Brad, Jeremy, and Nick haven't posted lately -- and I tend to believe threads like this one have a lot to do with that -- but they are still members here. :rolleyes:

They can be annoying for sure, but the fact is, they have a job to do. You get more readers and listeners by being negative, not intellectual. The fact is that most people aren't smart and like listening to drivel- these guys are paid to do what will boost ratings. Same for Jerry Sullivan- He probably is a decent guy away from his job.

Although I have complained in the past, I complain about the job they are paid to do- not the people doing that job

Not going to sift through 7 pages of this. It's pretty clear that Schopp generally just doesn't like the NFL, and gets annoyed at how the Bills make decisions. He's not taking a shot at Buffalo or the Western New York area there, he's just relaying a pessimistic sentiment that he's entitled to have.

You think Mike is the only one who is annoyed by how the Bills make decisions? Since we actually care about the Bills, don't you think we are annoyed even more? You don't see us react in the same childish manner that he does. There's no excuse for it, he's a professional.

let him talk about the bandwagon sabres then, oh wait he's jumped off that too, well i guess its going to be nothing but some obscure female Middle School Tennis Prodigy in Grand Island then

You think Mike is the only one who is annoyed by how the Bills make decisions? Since we actually care about the Bills, don't you think we are annoyed even more? You don't see us react in the same childish manner that he does. There's no excuse for it, he's a professional.

You misunderstand - his annoyance carries more weight. He is a special flower. His mommy told him so.

(I'd like to hear a caller ask him how someone who considers themselves to be in possession of a genius-like level of intellect could be satisfied while wasting away behind a microphone at a radio station discussing a sport he doesn't enjoy. That might make for some good radio...)

That is such B.S. (not you).

He clearly said that he could care less how the Bills do on Sundays, or if they win or lose. There is no excuse for saying that. If he doesn't want to be there talking about the Bills, then he should leave. But don't sit and B word about it on the air to all the listeners who love the team and want to talk Bills.

Keep adjusting that wording and keep trying to convince yourself and your minions that now Andy Roth is lying. We will you go away if a tape appears to refute your lies?

Same for Jerry Sullivan- He probably is a decent guy away from his job.

Although I have complained in the past, I complain about the job they are paid to do- not the people doing that job

He is. I have no problem confirming that.