McShay just gave us the best draft

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This can't be accurate, though. I mean, McShay might spend his entire waking hours looking at film and talking to scouts and interviewing players, but he's only one guy. And on the Stadium Wall, there are at least twenty-eight guys on their couches with a bag of chips in their lap and they all say that our draft was a joke and our front office is an embarrassment for their selections.

And twenty-eight is more than one. Therefore....

Therefore..........you are better than them?

Let's clarify one thing, Nodnarb is/was a Dick Jauron fan who regularly attacked posters for their criticism of his work the past 3 years.

Until the end of the season, when he jumped off that ship.

In other words, his opinion on the subject was wrong.

Point is, take it all with a grain folks. Everybody has the right to an opinion here. Attacking other posters just because they have a strong opinion is asssholish. It's not the fans fault that the team hasn't made the playoffs this decade, or that Dick Jauron has such a terrible coaching record, or that the team has struggled to acquire or then keep blue chip talent. If you think any of those statements are wrong, by all means, let's debate. Otherwise try to treat your fellow posters with the courtesy you would if you were having the discussion with them in person.

Let's clarify one thing, Nodnarb is/was a Dick Jauron fan who regularly attacked posters for their criticism of his work the past 3 years.

Point is, take it all with a grain folks. Everybody has the right to an opinion here. Attacking other posters just because they have a strong opinion is asssholish. It's not the fans fault that the team hasn't made the playoffs this decade, or that Dick Jauron has such a terrible coaching record, or that the team has struggled to acquire or then keep blue chip talent. If you think any of those statements are wrong, by all means, let's debate. Otherwise try to treat your fellow posters with the courtesy you would if you were having the discussion with them in person.

What do you think of the picks so far, Badol?

The Levitre pick saved Day 1 for me. But they took an incredible risk IMO by not taking him at 42 to begin with, and prioritizing a safety over the interior of their offensive line. And I still stand by my view that this team needs to get bigger and tougher along the defensive front seven. Some say that's not their scheme. I say that's one of the biggest problems with their scheme. Ayers (or even Orapko, who I do not like) would've filled a bigger need at 11 - size up front. Third down passrushers would've been available in the second round. And I do not see free safety as a need. But hey, what do I know, I'm just a guy on my couch eating potato chips hoping the Bills draft the four or five players I read about in a draft magazine, ok I get it. This front office has obviously proven that it knows what it's doing, hey they make the playoffs every year. So I'll just continue to drink the coolaid with the rest of you all.

:worthy::lol::unsure:

Free safety wasn't a need? Really? They had to shift their #8 pick from his natural position. The only reason Whitner was playing FS last year was because the Bills had no viable candidates to replace Simpson. They realized that Whitner was the only one who could play FS reasonably well, and that Scott could man SS without being too terrible. They drafted Byrd because he displays the skills that make very good free safeties, and they want to move Donte back to SS.

Free safety wasn't a need? Really? They had to shift their #8 pick from his natural position. The only reason Whitner was playing FS last year was because the Bills had no viable candidates to replace Simpson. They realized that Whitner was the only one who could play FS reasonably well, and that Scott could man SS without being too terrible. They drafted Byrd because he displays the skills that make very good free safeties, and they want to move Donte back to SS.

Why is it that every time defensive back appears to be a "need," it must be addressed with an extremely early pick? Greer was pretty good, right?

Why is it that every time defensive back appears to be a "need," it must be addressed with an extremely early pick? Greer was pretty good, right?

But they would have had to pay a 12M contract (Something that New Orleans gave).....You just cannot pay big money to all your players....You have to get a core players and then build around them through the draft.

The Levitre pick saved Day 1 for me. But they took an incredible risk IMO by not taking him at 42 to begin with, and prioritizing a safety over the interior of their offensive line. And I still stand by my view that this team needs to get bigger and tougher along the defensive front seven. Some say that's not their scheme. I say that's one of the biggest problems with their scheme. Ayers (or even Orapko, who I do not like) would've filled a bigger need at 11 - size up front. Third down passrushers would've been available in the second round. And I do not see free safety as a need. But hey, what do I know, I'm just a guy on my couch eating potato chips hoping the Bills draft the four or five players I read about in a draft magazine, ok I get it. This front office has obviously proven that it knows what it's doing, hey they make the playoffs every year. So I'll just continue to drink the coolaid with the rest of you all.

Well, hopefully Maybin doesn't suck as bad as some of those chip-stained magazines say he does against the run. :worthy:

:worthy:

I was talking about the draft you stupid jackass!!! show some inteligence and shut up YOU FOOL!!! :worthy: And by the way I joined in march not in febuary it just goes to show that you have s$%t for brains.

I think he realizes you joined on March 1. That's why he said go back to February and decide not to join the board. That really is an assinine opinion that the Bills will be in Toronto based on this draft. You should expect criticism when you say things like that.

Scott has played very well. And McGee wasn't a first day pick either. :worthy:

Scott is fair at best. He's pretty decent against the run and can smack people. He was a solid addition. But he's not a good starter. I guarantee they are looking at Byrd to be the starter at FS and keep Whitner at SS with Scott a situational safety on running plays and short yardage packages. Scott just isn't good in pass defenses, and I like the guy.

This can't be accurate, though. I mean, McShay might spend his entire waking hours looking at film and talking to scouts and interviewing players, but he's only one guy. And on the Stadium Wall, there are at least twenty-eight guys on their couches with a bag of chips in their lap and they all say that our draft was a joke and our front office is an embarrassment for their selections.

And twenty-eight is more than one. Therefore....

I would like to nominate the above post for "post of the year" :worthy:

Scott is fair at best. He's pretty decent against the run and can smack people. He was a solid addition. But he's not a good starter. I guarantee they are looking at Byrd to be the starter at FS and keep Whitner at SS with Scott a situational safety on running plays and short yardage packages. Scott just isn't good in pass defenses, and I like the guy.

I know it's heresy, but Whitner isn't great in pass defense either. Ryan Denney had more passes defensed last year than Whitner has had in his career.

I know it's heresy, but Whitner isn't great in pass defense either. Ryan Denney had more passes defensed last year than Whitner has had in his career.

I think Whitner makes too many mistakes in coverage. He could still be good at it. The Bills have asked him to do too much, too many different things, play too many roles which has hurt his development a little. That's not saying that he doesn't need to play better, he does. He's just as much at fault as the coaches are for not making enough big plays. But I don't think Whitner has been used well at all and it shows. Still, a playmaker makes plays and he flat doesn't make enough of them yet. Scott can make plays as a run stopper and often does in short yardage and goalline. He can be a valuable reserve. I just don't think he can be a good all around starter.

I think Whitner makes too many mistakes in coverage. He could still be good at it. The Bills have asked him to do too much, too many different things, play too many roles which has hurt his development a little. That's not saying that he doesn't need to play better, he does. He's just as much at fault as the coaches are for not making enough big plays. But I don't think Whitner has been used well at all and it shows. Still, a playmaker makes plays and he flat doesn't make enough of them yet. Scott can make plays as a run stopper and often does in short yardage and goalline. He can be a valuable reserve. I just don't think he can be a good all around starter.

All of this misses the point, Kelly. Could the Bills stand to improve at safety? Of course. They could stand to improve at just about every position. But was it a PRIORITY? Not in my view. They could've taken Levitre at 42, which still would've been a solid value pick, and then they'd still have a third round pick to use on any of the best pass catching tight ends in the draft, or more depth in the front seven. But no, Jauron NEEDS a ton of first day defensive backs in order to run his scheme. And those of us who criticize that philosophy are called out as knowing nothing about football. Who are we to question the front office folks who do this for a living. You know what? I'd like this team to HUMOR ME for once. Maybe it's true that I know nothing about building a team. But why not try it? It's not like wasting first day picks on small guys has gotten this team to the playoffs. If Carl Banks and Richard Seymore aren't the kind of players who would fit into this *scheme*, than THIS SCHEME SUCKS.

I don't want to get into another Whitner argument, because I do realize he needs to make more plays. However, consider their red zone pass D the last couple of years. Opposing teams have had to kick a lot of field goals because the coverage overall is good. It's not all Whitner, but I don't recall ever seeing him embarrassed even slightly in those situations, and he's the secondary QB back there. He didn't play as well last year after the shoulder injury, I will admit.

All of this misses the point, Kelly. Could the Bills stand to improve at safety? Of course. They could stand to improve at just about every position. But was it a PRIORITY? Not in my view. They could've taken Levitre at 42, which still would've been a solid value pick, and then they'd still have a third round pick to use on any of the best pass catching tight ends in the draft, or more depth in the front seven. But no, Jauron NEEDS a ton of first day defensive backs in order to run his scheme. And those of us who criticize that philosophy are called out as knowing nothing about football. Who are we to question the front office folks who do this for a living. You know what? I'd like this team to HUMOR ME for once. Maybe it's true that I know nothing about building a team. But why not try it? It's not like wasting first day picks on small guys has gotten this team to the playoffs. If Carl Banks and Richard Seymore aren't the kind of players who would fit into this *scheme*, than THIS SCHEME SUCKS.

Well, 1] I wasn't missing the point because I wasn't at all addressing that point, I was responding to a post about how good Bryan Scott is, that I felt he wasn't a starter, and specifically responding to a fellow poster who made a comment on Whitner's pass defense. So I was right on point. :worthy:

2] IMO, if you want me to address the point, Byrd is more likely to be a starter this year than Levitre is, and I like the Levitre pick, as well as being lukewarm on the Byrd pick. So Byrd will probably help the Bills more this year than Levitre. It's possible that we start two rookie guards but I find that hard to believe right now. I think Levitre will be solid depth and versatility and down the road could be a very good and maybe even excellent guard. I like a lot about him. But I don't even expect him to see the field much this year. That is just conjecture but we will have to see.

3] If you looked at most of the pre-draft reports on the Bills they often listed S as one of the needs. I think it was definitely a need. I'm not sure Byrd is that guy since he hasn't played safety before but I think he has a pretty good shot at it from all I have read about him, and saw him a few games as a Pac-10 fan.