McShay just gave us the best draft

I don't want to get into another Whitner argument, because I do realize he needs to make more plays. However, consider their red zone pass D the last couple of years. Opposing teams have had to kick a lot of field goals because the coverage overall is good. It's not all Whitner, but I don't recall ever seeing him embarrassed even slightly in those situations, and he's the secondary QB back there. He didn't play as well last year after the shoulder injury, I will admit.

I like Whitner more than most people, I just think he needs to make more plays like turnovers and fumbles and sacks, etc. I think he is very good in the red zone. And Scott is pretty good, too, there, especially against the run.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Parrish, on the other hand, is not only odd man out in the WR corp but isnt even the best return man on the team anymore.

Based on what? Until I see proof otherwise he is the best PR on this team.

If you were to be critical of the Bills draft then a good start would be that the Bills really haven't helped themselves in defending the run. Like we saw with Jim Leonhard last year, the Bills may be completely fine at S, for example, if they only had the front 7 to put the opponent in bad down/distance situations and then made plays. In both of the first 2 rounds they went pass defense first. BUt, the weakness of the defense is that they just aren't strong against the running game. The addition of Stroud improved them against the run but only just barely. They have a long way to go to be considered very good or elite.

A second criticism might be that the Bills drafted defense first when the weaker side of the team is the offense. Then, the current brain trust just doesn't trade down, so it's a moot point in many ways.

If you were to be critical of the Bills draft then a good start would be that the Bills really haven't helped themselves in defending the run.

We need Henderson to help Stroud close this problem off.

Why is it that every time defensive back appears to be a "need," it must be addressed with an extremely early pick? Greer was pretty good, right?

Buffalo's drafted (not including Harris) 8 DB's in 4 drafts. They've signed Bowen, K. Thomas, Webster, and Florence. Scott is a street FA.

By my count, that's 13 DB's signed in four seasons. Buffalo inherited Clements, Greer, and McGee. Guess I'm miffed on the Byrd pick, aside from one thing: most of their DB's have contracts expiring soon. If Byrd can be a long term starter (not a Simpson who plays because he had to in 06 and 07) I'm OK with it.

Buffalo's drafted (not including Harris) 8 DB's in 4 drafts. They've signed Bowen, K. Thomas, Webster, and Florence. Scott is a street FA.

By my count, that's 13 DB's signed in four seasons. Buffalo inherited Clements, Greer, and McGee. Guess I'm miffed on the Byrd pick, aside from one thing: most of their DB's have contracts expiring soon. If Byrd can be a long term starter (not a Simpson who plays because he had to in 06 and 07) I'm OK with it.

What part of Byrd is going to play safety is confusing for you? Because we BADLY need safety help...there is a big difference from CB to S...they are not the same position, so why do you keep lumping our entire defensive backfield into one category...

Might as well combine TE and WR too...geezus

What part of Byrd is going to play safety is confusing for you? Because we BADLY need safety help...there is a big difference from CB to S...they are not the same position, so why do you keep lumping our entire defensive backfield into one category...

I don't think he is going in that direction. The point is when Jauron/Levy perceive a need in the secondary, it is immediately addressed with very early picks. Can this be denied?

Hey internet hero,

Your tone ain't appreciated.

I'm saying they've spent a ton of resources on secondary type players, not merely CB's. You haven't been around awfully long, and had Buffalo earmarked as much on the OL for previous seasons as they did this weekend, they'd most likely be better.

This is a message board for fans of the Bills, not somewhere to browbeat people who don't agree with you.

I don't think he is going in that direction. The point is when Jauron/Levy perceive a need in the secondary, it is immediately addressed with very early picks. Can this be denied?

Normally I'm not a big fan of this front office's overemphasis on the secondary. But I'm looking on the bright side here. The Bills had two picks in the first, and two in the second. They used those picks on a lineman, another lineman, a DB, and a lineman. That's not too shabby! :P

And FS really was a legitimate need. It isn't the need I would have filled with that pick, but it should definitely help the team. FS was clearly our secondary's weak link; a problem which Byrd should eliminate. Add in the improvement to our pass rush that Maybin should bring, and our pass defense just got a lot better.

There are still holes on this team. We need an OLB and a TE, and I'm not sure the guys we took in the later rounds will provide long-term answers at those positions. I have no idea what we're doing at LT; having heard various posters propose Walker, Butler, Levitre, Chambers, and Bell as our next LT. I saw an article recently about Mike Williams attempting to return to the NFL . . . :thumbsup:

We also could use help at DT and another DE.

While there's still room for improvement, this team filled a lot of holes on draft day. And look on the bright side with the Byrd pick: it's much better for the Bills to deal with the hole at FS in the second round, than it would have been at, say, 8th overall.

Hey internet hero,

Your tone ain't appreciated.

I'm saying they've spent a ton of resources on secondary type players, not merely CB's. You haven't been around awfully long, and had Buffalo earmarked as much on the OL for previous seasons as they did this weekend, they'd most likely be better.

This is a message board for fans of the Bills, not somewhere to browbeat people who don't agree with you.

hahaha...youve been the biggest ass of anyone, hence the tone...PS: I could care less about your appreciation of it, because the tone was WELL EARNED by you...

Secondly, what the hell does my time on this board have to do with my being a fan of the Bills, knowledge of football, or anything else? And your comment about the OL is lame...we DID go out and addressed the OL...and spent a lot to do it. The O Line was better for it, but never lived up to the money spent...hence, see ya Dockery and Peters (as they clearly didnt feel Peters warranted his lofty contract demands, and I agree).

We spent a lot more money on the O Line than the secondary...oh, and in case you have been sleeping the last decade...we need to beat teams like NE and Indy to make playoffs/SB...so DB's have been a need.

And one last point...not every DB was taken because we NEEDED a DB...some were taken as potential back up DB's and Special Teams starters...