How good is Maybin?

Before people start responding (assuming people respond), I'm leery of the one-year wonder argument because he was a sophomore the year before in a top-tier program in a great conference. One doesn't necessarily much playing time/production for underclassmen at PSU.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Before people start responding (assuming people respond), I'm leery of the one-year wonder argument because he was a sophomore the year before in a top-tier program in a great conference. One doesn't necessarily much playing time/production for underclassmen at PSU.

I really just don't know much about him. He seem's to be a sort of enigma. Many of the scouts say that he has the most explosive first step coming out of this year's draft, but I'm leary of his size and strength. He looks as if he could be overpowered by bigger tackles in the ground game.

I really just don't know much about him. He seem's to be a sort of enigma. Many of the scouts say that he has the most explosive first step coming out of this year's draft, but I'm leary of his size and strength. He looks as if he could be overpowered by bigger tackles in the ground game.

After looking at his combine video I've changed my mind on Maybin. He actually looks extremely quick and rangy, and I could see NFL tackles having a hard time getting their hands on him. Those long arms and quick changes of direction will serve him well at the next level. I'd be happy with him, Ayers or Jackson. The guys I'm down on are the umpalumpas like Orakpo and Brown. I could see those guys being literally eaten up by NFL tackles.

Remember, every one of these defensive ends has a huge question mark following them.

I think he's a bust.

After looking at his combine video I've changed my mind on Maybin. He actually looks extremely quick and rangy, and I could see NFL tackles having a hard time getting their hands on him. Those long arms and quick changes of direction will serve him well at the next level. I'd be happy with him, Ayers or Jackson. The guys I'm down on are the umpalumpas like Orakpo and Brown. I could see those guys being literally eaten up by NFL tackles.

Remember, every one of these defensive ends has a huge question mark following them.

At his pro-day, Maybin weighed in, again, at the combine weight and regained his burst and speed. I think he just needed time for his body to adjust to the quick weight gain.

That being said, I'm not sure which is the best pass rusher for the Bills. I wouldn't be upset if the Bills traded down, drafted at #11: Orokpo, Brown, Maybin, Ayers, Raji, or Andre Smith. I know Tyson Jackson is moving up, but he is not a pass rusher.

I can't wait till hear... "With the 11th pick in the draft, the Buffalo Bills (pick/traded with ?) ..."

At his pro-day, Maybin weighed in, again, at the combine weight and regained his burst and speed. I think he just needed time for his body to adjust to the quick weight gain.

That being said, I'm not sure which is the best pass rusher for the Bills. I wouldn't be upset if the Bills traded down, drafted at #11: Orokpo, Brown, Maybin, Ayers, Raji, or Andre Smith. I know Tyson Jackson is moving up, but he is not a pass rusher.

I can't wait till hear... "With the 11th pick in the draft, the Buffalo Bills (pick/traded with ?) ..."

If Orakpo is on the board and the Bills do anything less then having Russ, Dick, and Ralph skipping while holding hands up to the commisioner with Orakpo's name on the card it will reaffirm my no-confidence in this front office policy.

He isn't going to come in right away and start. However, you bring this guy in on passing downs and move him around pre-snap, he will cause havoc on the QB. I don't think anyone believes we will be able to sucker some team into trading for Kelsay. If we were able to I would go with Robert Ayers instead.

If BJ Raji or Aaron Curry slips and 4 OTs go in the top 10 I would take one of those two first before drafting a DE.

He's great as long as they don't block him.

the bigger concern will be when teams run at him- nonstop

he will never get to rush the passer because teams will never need to pass.

stop being cute and trying to play defense at the line of scrimmage with midgets

heaven forbid we take Jackson who is a FOOTBALL player and not a one trick gimmick

the bigger concern will be when teams run at him- nonstop

he will never get to rush the passer because teams will never need to pass.

stop being cute and trying to play defense at the line of scrimmage with midgets

Did you just call me cute??

heaven forbid we take Jackson who is a FOOTBALL player and not a one trick gimmick

From what I've seen of Tyson Jackson, he's slow. Maybe quick for a DT, but if I'm taking a DT - since it isn't such a high priority right now - I'm taking Raji. Otherwise I think you have to do DE. Tyson Jackson just isn't high on my list.

For a team like the Bills whose entire coaching staff's heads are on the chopping block-

I can't see them spending the 11th pick in the first round on a player coming out as a sophmore who will probably take a few years to develop.

At 11---they will take a player they feel they can plug in the starting lineup IMMEDIATELY.

For a team like the Bills whose entire coaching staff's heads are on the chopping block-

I can't see them spending the 11th pick in the first round on a player coming out as a sophmore who will probably take a few years to develop.

At 11---they will take a player they feel they can plug in the starting lineup IMMEDIATELY.

I'm not advocating Maybin, but that type of thinking is why we haven't made the playoffs for 9 years. A 20 year old putting up those kind of numbers in his 1st year of starting is certainly intriguing. It would suggest he's only going to get better and he seems like a good kid and hard worker. On the downside, it was his 1st year and teams probably didn't design their blocking schemes around him.

You may not want to hear it, but I think the one year wonder argument has some validity. Sometimes the best predictor of the future is to look to the past. I ripped that quote off of a scout regarding Robert Ayers, and it was used in a slightly different context, but its something to think about in this case, too. How many one-hit wonders at DE come into the NFL and ever have success? A few, but its rare. Add in the fact that he's undersized to his inexperience and lack of previous production and I think he carries considerable risk as an 11th overall pick.

The talent is certainly there, don't get me wrong, but Manny Lawson, Michael Haynes, Erasmus James and Erik Flowers and a few others that never really did much were talented one-year wonders, too. That's not to say that Maybin definitely will follow the same path, but that he carries a high degree of risk at a position that's already one of the riskiest picks to make in round one.

You may not want to hear it, but I think the one year wonder argument has some validity. Sometimes the best predictor of the future is to look to the past. I ripped that quote off of a scout regarding Robert Ayers, and it was used in a slightly different context, but its something to think about in this case, too. How many one-hit wonders at DE come into the NFL and ever have success? A few, but its rare. Add in the fact that he's undersized to his inexperience and lack of previous production and I think he carries considerable risk as an 11th overall pick.

The talent is certainly there, don't get me wrong, but Manny Lawson, Michael Haynes, Erasmus James and Erik Flowers and a few others that never really did much were talented one-year wonders, too. That's not to say that Maybin definitely will follow the same path, but that he carries a high degree of risk at a position that's already one of the riskiest picks to make in round one.

The difference is that Ayers was a senior this past year, so one good year is more concerning for him. I like maybin. Very explosive.

Your guess is as good as anyones elses about Maybin. Why did he have one good year? What was his motivation this year? Or did it all come together for him? Who knows. He is a 50/50. Could be a bust or could be a very solid pass rusher for years.

I'm a PSU Alum/Season Ticket holder and closely follow the program, so I have a bit of perspective on why he didn't start before.

Maybin is a weak-side Defensive End in the Penn State system, and going into the season we had Maurice Evans playing that position. Evans was projected by most as a top 15 pick. But around a week before the season started he got busted for smoking weed and suspended for a solid 4 games, which gave the opportunity for Maybin to start.

so it's not a question of Motivation - Aaron was just a RS Sophomore this year, playing behind a Pre-season All-American. It's a question of having a loaded depth chart. But the fact that when Evans came back, that he ended up splitting time at Strong side-DE (and why he had such a poor season btw - Evans is going to be a steal late in the draft), should tell you just how good Maybin was this year.

I don't think he's a 1-year wonder because he's just getting started. He doesn't really compare to any of our past DEs at Penn State because of his body-type and playing style. Penn State usually prefers bigger, taller guys at DE like Michael Haynes and Courtney Brown. But if I had to compare him to anyone it's Dwight Freeney.

And just an FYI Mike Haynes wasn't a one-year wonder. He was a two year starter at PSU, and I think lettered in 3 years. He was a very productive player for Penn State

The difference is that Ayers was a senior this past year, so one good year is more concerning for him. I like maybin. Very explosive.

Agreed. There's a difference when comparing Ayers and Maybin in terms of past production given that Maybin is an underclassman. Still, its a problem for both of them. At that particular position, I'd much rather that a player have a strong history of year-to-year production if I plan on drafting them high. A high percentage of one-hit wonders at DE end up being flops in the NFL.