Do you go to church on Sundays in the fall?

major

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, I have better things to do with my spirituality than be lied to.

Do any of you go to church on Sundays during the fall (when the Bills play)? I recently spoke with a Buffalo native who shared how sad it is there now, because few fans go to church on Sundays. For the residents of Buffalo, was he telling the truth? With a 1PM start time, I would assume people would have time to go to church and still make the game in person. That, or they could tivo/dvr the game and start it a few minutes late. I often do this on Sundays and I catch up to the real game time rather quickly after skipping the commercials. Just curious.

I'm fairly religious, but almost never have time to go to mass. I'm not devout or anything, more or less just follow the main beliefs of the old testament and select passages of the new, and I've decided a while ago that listening to the sermon by someone who is no more qualified than me hardly justifies receiving the body and blood of christ on sundays.

I've gotten into the belief that you can still hold religious backings, and live a moral life WITHOUT wasting your time with cult-like traditions.

Do any of you go to church on Sundays during the fall (when the Bills play)? I recently spoke with a Buffalo native who shared how sad it is there now, because few fans go to church on Sundays. For the residents of Buffalo, was he telling the truth? With a 1PM start time, I would assume people would have time to go to church and still make the game in person. That, or they could tivo/dvr the game and start it a few minutes late. I often do this on Sundays and I catch up to the real game time rather quickly after skipping the commercials. Just curious.

I am in the central time zone and yes I go to church on Sundays in the fall. Being a Bills fan is fun but for me not more important than trying to live up to the responsibilites that come with my faith. B-T-W do not take that as a hloier than thou kind of statement. I believe choices of faith are personal. I know very decent people who are of strong faith that have not attended a church service in twenty years. It is not only about what you do on Sunday - the other six days are important too.

On the away I usually go sunday morning. The church I go to St Gabriels on Clinton has masses from 6:00, 7:00, 9:00, 10:30 & noon so there is plenty opportunity to go. On the home games it is a little more challenging. Me & my friends are on the road by 8:00 am so unless I get up at 5:30am(which sometimes I do) I usually do not go. Plus, I am the chef of our tailgate so there is usually not much time in the early morning to go to Church. I usually get up at 6:30 & take a shower, crack the first beer & pack the cooler, try to read a littlebit of the paper & by bthen my friends are usually at my house. God understands, he is a football fan also.

Attend Church regularly. Twice on Sunday once on Wednesday evening. Church and family come well before entertainment. Attend Church on Sunday, have dinner with family , then providing all is clear follow the Bills. Consider myself a follower of the Bills not a fanatic in the terms of what a "fan" is called these days. Never have like the term of "fan" . To me its condescending.

How can you get your 1 o'clock bets in if you are at church up until 1.

The decrease in church attendance has nothing to do with the Bills/NFL being on at 1:00 EST. The US has steadily modernized while the teachings of many churches have remained centuries out of date. I think the nation, in turn, is becoming more agnostic than Christian for instance. People claim they're spiritual, without being religious, which is perfectly fine IMO. I try and go to church throughout the year/season and the majority of people at my church in the area are immigrants or older Americans...while the world is changing, many churches aren't adjusting. I think this causes the empty seats and the sadness your friend references.

I usually like going in the fall in particular because I can say a prayer for the Bills!

Going to Church for me isn't about the act of going, its just that's where they talk about God. If I want to watch a baseball game, I don't go to a soccer field because that's not where they play baseball. I enjoy listening to a pastor who has a God given talent to studying the scriptures and relay them in a relevant way. No different than I enjoy watching a football player with God given talents.

The interesting thing is I don't expect everyone that I watch a football game with to be a perfect person. Sometimes my Uncle yells at the ref's and I think "what a nut". I do the same at Church. Sometimes the guy doing the announcements seems like a phony to me, so what? I am not there for him. I don't need him or the pastor to be perfect for me to be there. They are people, imperfect by their nature.

I think its kind of a double standard that non religious people criticize imperfections in the Church, but yet understand them in every other arena.

Yeah, I go to church regardless. Lord knows I love football in general, especially the Bills, but I love Him more. :angry:

No. If God created me in his image, then he's probably at the sports bar watching football, too.

I would never goto a church and support an organized religion. I do not beleive in any organized religion and fully beleive that all that is written in those books was devised by man and re-interpretted by man to do mans bidding. The real meaning of god and religion was lost a long long long time ago.

I fully expect church attendance and religon itself to contniue to deterriorate.... There are way too many relligions to choose from, and I fail to see how any one religion is the right religion over another. Yet people are naive to believe there's is the only right one...

I'll jus tlive a good life and and let the greater power itself guide me without needless worshipping

I never understood those twice a year churchgoers. What's the point?

It is interesting. I don't really get it, either.

Some have told me they like the ritual/pageantry/history/nostalgia/comforting feeling (pick any combo), on those special occasions, with family/friends/etc. That is, for some, it isn't the religious requirement as much as it is the yearly routine, which they enjoy.