Official NBA playoffs thread....

Special K

Pretty funny to see a team complain that a foul WASN'T called on them.

A foul should have been called, but I hate that strategy, so they deserve to get scored on. Play until you hear the whistle.

That's one of my two criticisms of basketball....I hate the fact that FOULING is a strategy. The game can be so fun to watch, but then sometimes at the end all you have is inbound pass, foul, FT, repeat. The last two mins of a game can take forever watching this foul/FT crap.

My other criticism was the fact that over 60% of the teams make the playoffs, but the way I got around this is to pretty much ignore the NBA entirely until playoff time. If I do that, I'm much more interested in the games, lol.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"No star quality." - HUGE Bull. LeBron has been superhuman. Kobe is firing on all cylinders. Rajon Rondo is becoming one of the best PGs right before our eyes (He's AVERAGING a triple double for the whole playoffs for Chrissakes...and he's 6'1").

Would have been nice to see Garnett vs. King James in the Eastern finals though! :oops:

Would have been nice to see Garnett vs. King James in the Eastern finals though! :)

No doubt. But I'll settle for the absolutely great moments when LeBron drives the lane and goes to throw one down on Dwight Howard. Either we see a monster block or monster dunk. Those two are the two biggest athletic freaks in the league by far. Gonna be a lot of TiVo rewinding at my house... :oops:

No doubt. But I'll settle for the absolutely great moments when LeBron drives the lane and goes to throw one down on Dwight Howard. Either we see a monster block or monster dunk. Those two are the two biggest athletic freaks in the league by far. Gonna be a lot of TiVo rewinding at my house... :oops:

LeBron is the most fun player to watch in a long time, for me. Kobe is too much of a punk for me to really enjoy his play, but guys like LeBron, C.Anthony, KG, and even a Josh Smith from the Hawks....all amazing athletes.

LeBron is the most fun player to watch in a long time, for me. Kobe is too much of a punk for me to really enjoy his play, but guys like LeBron, C.Anthony, KG, and even a Josh Smith from the Hawks....all amazing athletes.

Kobe can be debated forever and there really is no right answer. All I'll say for him is this...yes, he can be a huge B word and comes off as very obnoxious. However, he is the closest thing to Jordan we will probably ever see again, and actually for both of those reasons. MJ was a huge dick. He was selfish, arrogant, his teammates hated him and it wasn't until he actually learned to give a little that he started winning championships. But he was ruthless, clutch and probably the most mentally though athlete of all-time (Tiger Woods stacks up there as well, IMO). Kobe embodies almost everything that made Jordan great...the good and the bad. And as incredible as LeBron is, there is one person who I'd want to take my last shot and one person only. And it isn't even close.

#24.

But I digress...the star quality in the league right now is great. LeBron, Kobe, Wade, Howard, Paul, Carmelo, and soon to be Kevin Durant...all in their prime.

And speaking of LeBron. 32-7-7 right now and the 3rd Q isnt even over. Jesus.

geez, LeBron is ridiculous lol

BTW, one of the benefits of HDTV: You realize how hot some of the women are sitting courtside :oops:

geez, LeBron is ridiculous lol

BTW, one of the benefits of HDTV: You realize how hot some of the women are sitting courtside :)

If you had ultra-HDTV like me, you would be able to see the herpes! :oops:

Very bad call. Clear bump and no reason why the whistle was silent.

But another great (albeit sloppy) game in what has been the best playoffs I can remember since the Jordan days. All complaints about the quality of the NBA have been effectively erased this post-season.

"Players don't care enough." - Bull. Hard fouls, high emotions and great individual efforts.

"All dunks and 3s." - Bull. That was never really a valid reason anyway.

"No star quality." - HUGE Bull. LeBron has been superhuman. Kobe is firing on all cylinders. Rajon Rondo is becoming one of the best PGs right before our eyes (He's AVERAGING a triple double for the whole playoffs for Chrissakes...and he's 6'1").

The people who make those complaints, either just don't like the NBA (too black for them maybe?), or they haven't watched it since the Bird/Magic days. I will admit, after Jordan hung it up (with the Bulls) the league went through a down period, where there weren't really any great teams, except the Lakers, who are either hated or loved by most...but that changed a while ago.

In the last 5 or 6 years (and mind you, my Celtics sucked as bad as any team, before last year) the NBA has been great. I credit LeBron, Carmello Anthony, and team successes like the Spurs and Pistons, with returning the game to the level it can be, when it is at its' best. The Spurs and Pistons (who I still hate, remember) showed the rest of the league that a whole bunch of good players, buying into a team concept, can have an extended period of success. After MJ retired, it seemed like every team was trying to find the next Jordan, and finally learned, that there isn't one. So, instead of spending their entire salary cap on one or two players, and filling the roster out with scrubs, they concentrated more on developing the players they have, and putting together teams with depth. The Magic this year are a perfect example of that. I know Howard is a great player, but without all the skill players around him, he would just be a good defensive player, wasting away on a crummy team. They have done a great job of building in Orlando.

True, the regular season, like the NHL, can be a bit of a grind, but the playoffs are right up there, with the NHL, in terms of excitement. I love the NFL, but I am grateful that the NBA and NHL can carry me through the off -season....baseball does almost nothing for me any more.

I hope Perkins gets suspended for Game 4 for his elbow to the throat of Pietrus.

I'll be at Game 4 on Sunday, and Game 6 (if necessary).... just take care of business at home(the defending champs won't go without a fight) and its on to the next round!

I geuss there's no suspension coming for Perkins....oh well.

I really feel the winner of this game will win the series.

I was at Game 6 of the Philly series, and the arena was rocking for that game, and I can't wait to be in the crowd for this one....I think the excitement will exceed that one for sure!!

GO MAGIC!!!!!!!!

I geuss there's no suspension coming for Perkins....oh well.

I really feel the winner of this game will win the series.

I was at Game 6 of the Philly series, and the arena was rocking for that game, and I can't wait to be in the crowd for this one....I think the excitement will exceed that one for sure!!

GO MAGIC!!!!!!!!

BIG Baby!!!!!

Wow, what a great game. It could have gone either way...I was really happy for Davis. Watch the replay, after he hits the shot, he is so excited, he, unintentially, I think, just plows some kid over, in the front row... one of those classic playoff moments... I give the Magic a ton of credit for hanging on that entire game. They just would not let Boston run away with it. Lee looks like he is going to turn in to a very good player. If Dwight Howard can refine his offensive play, just a little, the Magic are going to be a very formidable team for years... this one is going to go seven!

BIG Baby!!!!!

Wow, what a great game. It could have gone either way...I was really happy for Davis. Watch the replay, after he hits the shot, he is so excited, he, unintentially, I think, just plows some kid over, in the front row... one of those classic playoff moments... I give the Magic a ton of credit for hanging on that entire game. They just would not let Boston run away with it. Lee looks like he is going to turn in to a very good player. If Dwight Howard can refine his offensive play, just a little, the Magic are going to be a very formidable team for years... this one is going to go seven!

Congrats on the win, but IMO, that was a horribly officiated game especially in the 2nd and 3rd quarter.

Two of the goaltending calls against Howard were bogus, and one gaoltending play by Rondo vs. Pietrus was missed.

6 points in a one point game hurts.

I'm concerned with the Magic's mental status after such a heartbreaking "Bills-like" defeat.

As for Lee.....I've been impressed with him all year, and his D vs. House was great....he looks like a steal as a late first round pick.

Isn't it crazy that 3 of the Magic's 4 playoff losses have come in the final 2 seconds of the game!!

I hope they can put it together in 48 hours, but this really hurts. :doh:

Congrats on the win, but IMO, that was a horribly officiated game especially in the 2nd and 3rd quarter.

Two of the goaltending calls against Howard were bogus, and one gaoltending play by Rondo vs. Pietrus was missed.

6 points in a one point game hurts.

I'm concerned with the Magic's mental status after such a heartbreaking "Bills-like" defeat.

As for Lee.....I've been impressed with him all year, and his D vs. House was great....he looks like a steal as a late firstround pick.

Isn't it crazy that 3 of the Magic's 4 playoff losses have come in the final 2 seconds of the game!!

I hope they can put it together in 48 hours, but this really hurts. :doh:

First off, my condolences. You were at the game, right? Being at a game like that really sucks, if your team is on the losing end. I remember going to MSG, back in 1989 (IIRC) for a Knicks/Celtics playoff game. I paid a bloody fortune for the seats, it was one of those ugly, hockey like NBA games. Celtics were down by 3 with about 5 seconds left on the clock. They had the ball, and got a perfect feed in to Bird, for a three point shot. He had very little pressure, but completely whiffed on the shot...his back had been bothering him all season. I was so ready for him to nail it and tie it up, and go to OT. It was the first time I had ever seen Bird miss a shot like that...it was pretty devistating, all the worse because I was there...

I agree, it was a pretty horribly officiated game, but, you can say that about almost any NBA game, unfortunately. I agree that the goaltending call that was not called on Rondo was bad, but then, there were also three instances where Turk, late in the game, traveled pretty blatantly...and scored baskets. In fact, he seems to travel like crazy, pretty much any time he tries shoot off the dribble. He just picks the ball up and almost carries it like a football to take it to the basket. I know, there is lots of traveling, but his is crazy...also, there was a phantom foul called on Pierce, one early in the game, and another in the third. I can't remember which Magic player had the ball, but he ran across the baseline, underneath the basket and scored an easy basket. Both Pierce and Davis put their hands up, and made no contact whatsoever, but a foul was called.

I am not trying to argue the Celtics didn't get some calls, but the argument seems to be, that, yes, officials miss things, or see things that aren't there, but eventually, it all evens out. I think Rondo has gotten away with a lot this off-seaosn. But,it is funny that in nearly every Celtics playoff game this season, Davis, Perkins and Saclibrini (against the Magic anyways) have all run in to foul problems early, and it has affected the way the Celtics have to play the rest of the game. Yet, when Garnett is in there, taking most of those minutes that those guys are getting this year, he rarely runs into foul trouble. What happens is, unestablished guys, basically get called if they raise their hands over their waste, to play defense. Superstars, don't get those things called against them. If I have one complaint about the NBA, that is it.

I think the Magic will be ready for game 5. This game, tonight, was the first game of the series where both teams played their game. And it came down to 1 point. Charles Barkley said, after the game, that the Magic were the "better team" (he picked them to win the series at the begining for that reason) but the Celtics have "more heart". We shall see who prevails. I can see the Celtics taking the next game in Boston, but it will be close, and the Magic tying it up in game 6.

And to make it a perfect mother's day (for me), the Lakers got their asses handed to them!

Wow. Another great one...and actually two very interesting games. Even though Houston pretty much controlled throughout, it was still exciting to see them stand up for themselves when they could have packed the series in.

The Boston/Orlando game was just another thriller in this great post-season. And I echo Buftex...good for Glen Davis! The guy had some real growing up to do when he entered the league and he has worked his ass off. He really owes a lot to KG, IMO, in terms of showing him what level of preparation and intensity is required in the pros. Davis could have easily become just another out of shape PF who gets you 8 and 5 each night but frustrates the hell out of you with his occasional 25-15. I liked him A LOT coming out of LSU, but I never thought he'd develop this silky smooth jumper he has. His 20-footers are beautiful. Strangely similar to another PF on the Celtics who made a career out of those shots in Minnesota... :doh:

Either way, another great game. And FWIW, I still like Orlando to take this series. Maybe in 6. I love (well hate actually) Courtney Lee and he's looking like he could be a fixture on that team for years to come. A Nelson-Lee-Lewis-Turk-Howard lineup will match up with anyone for a long time (although I still think Lewis' contract will hurt them long-run because this is about as good as they can get).

And Rondo...14 boards. The guy is like a little Rodman. He's physical enough to go in the paint and grab the short misses and he's fast enough to track down the long rebounds off 3-ptrs. A lot of fun to watch (when he's not clotheslining people... ;) ;) )

First off, my condolences. You were at the game, right? Being at a game like that really sucks, if your team is on the losing end.

I was....and you are right...it really sucked :doh:;)

Jeez...you knew this was coming:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4159699